Southern Winterland (By Degrees, #0.5)

Southern Winterland (By Degrees 0.5)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  50 reviews
From the By Degrees Universe meet Christian and Remy, close friends who may be destined to be something else…

Christian Murphy is out, proud and very often loud.

Remy Benoit is an equal opportunity flirt, but he swears
guys are not his thing.

Different lifestyles had never interfered with their close
friendship, but after too much alcohol and almost kissing
under the mistletoe a...more
Published December 6th 2011 by MLR Press

To ask other readers questions about Southern Winterland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Winterland

Edina Rose
Heatstroke's author strikes again!

Now, this story is very short, the background is totally under-developed, but the characters are amazing and the romance is cute.

Remi and Chris are just friends, but the kind of "just friends" that flirts dangerously all the time. Chris is a flaming gay and Remi is... straight, please. It's just that he is an "equal opportunity flirt", that's all. Don't go develop misplaced ideas about his sexuality! Chris took note and in order to protect his heart, he put so...more
❧Gwen❤❦
My first thought's when I finshed this book...was Freaking*... WOW!

That was soooooo Good...BUT...I want more...I want a HEA...or even a HFN

Nope, nada, none...and dang book was ONLY 33 pages!

And this lovely book still get 4 Stars from me' because~

" Christian Murphy❤Remy Benoit were...

❤Curl Your Toes Sweet
❤Sizziling HOT...That kiss oooooh my God...Wow!
❤This Chemistry Amazing.
❤Their terms of endearment ...so cute ~
❤This writer has captured my full attention word for word.

♥Gosh, this was an un-ex...more
Ami
As much I enjoy Ms. Donovan's writing on this one (oh, she spins the yearning from Chris nicely as well as confusion from Remy -- since he's straight -- nicely), but I think the story itself suffers a little bit from its length. I feel like it's a bit too short.

I know that this story is supposed to be the beginning (I don't know if there's more to their story), but almost half of this story starts in August (with Chris and Remy talk on the phone, and Remy thinking about their almost kiss -- whi...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was a cute story that deals with friends Christian and Remy. I loved being able to see the turmoil in Remy over how Chris was distancing himself, finding out exactly why Chris was being distant and then seeing how Remy tries to break through the barriers Chris puts up. I loved the idea around the Southern Winterland and how Chris keeps it going in honor of his Grandma Violet's holiday tradition. I enjoyed this one very much and my only complaint is that it's too short. I can't wait to see m...more
Jenn
3.5

I"m not sure I like ensemble cast books that will end on 'hill hangers' every time.
Fangtasia
Unrealized potential, is the phrase upppermost in my mind when I think of this delicious story. The author could have done wonders with another thousand words between the phone conversation used to set up the story in the beginning and the resolution at the end.

Everything else was perfect. The characters are incredibly fleshed out, for the short space available. We get the full effect of Remy's confusion and desperation, Chris's ache and frustration, the words unsaid between them burning up the...more
MandyM
Tempting short story about gay Chris and his best straight friend Remy. Very common theme but the author writes it well. I always love the Cajun endearments, bebe and cher. Very sexy! It reads like the first few chapters of a novel and I'm hoping there might be a longer story about this couple still in the works. So as a teaser for a novel it works well but as a story in it's own right it's too short to be really satisfying. I am looking forward to the next release by this author Six Degrees of...more
Alissa
Only real complaint was that it is way too short. I'm greedy and wanted more ... so much more. I fell in love with these two characters in book one and enjoyed getting more of their backgrounds not included in book one. I hope there is much more of them as the series progresses.
Lady*M
Almost, but not quite 3 stars

The writing was very good and what there is of the characters is charming - Cajun Remy (I had a dozen X-Men flashbacks every time his name appeared) and New Yorker Chris, however, this was barely a story, more like a snippet. Plus, I hate men behaving like this and avoiding "the pink elephant in the room". I have no doubt many men do, but must they all?! Still, it's to authors credit that I want to know more about them.
Snowtulip
Way too short, but incredibly tantalizing :D I loved how Donovan brought some personality out of the characters in such a short story. Chris and Remy seem to really enjoy each other and support each other, so this next step has me excited for future stories.
Amanda
3 stars

Ahhh Remy and Christian. I'm still not sure why I didn't read this when I read Six Degrees of Lust. A cute read but I wish it had been longer and I read Six Degrees of Lust so fast and several months ago I kinda forgot about Remy and Christian.
Chris
3.5 stars. Good short holiday m/m romance about a gay guy who's been distancing himself from his straight best friend after a drunken almost-kiss under the mistletoe the previous Christmas. This needed to be a bit longer!
Bev

Little shortie of Christian and Remy, and yes I'm afraid you'll have to get the other books to find out who they are. 4 stars and
Heather C
I really liked this. Loved the sexual tension, but sad that I'm left with probably years of suffering before these guys will ever get their HEA!...more
Jacqueline
The cover is just fitting. This is a well writen joy... Just a little on the short side. But I surly loved it!
MsMiz (Tina)
Not nearly long enough! I will definitely be reading about Chris and Remy in the next installment.
Sandra ♥'s way too many M/M books
Yummy sweet and way to short now I CAN'T wait to read the full books with the other guys
Sadonna
Oh man! You're teasing us! I can't wait to read more about Remy and Chris.
Shakisha
Oh man I can't wait for more of Chris and Remy's relationship.....
Meggie
This short story isn't much...
Karenna
3.5 stars. Very short and sweet.
UltraMeital
That's a really short novella, about 30 pages. It was nice but it was, well, I didn't find it interesting enough.

Chris falls in love with his good and straight friend Remy after an almost first (and drunk) kiss. Trying to handle the feeling he keeps away from Remy as best as he can.

Remy, starting to consider he might not be only into gals but into Chris as well doesn't handle well the fact that Chris keeps his distance, he wants to confront Chris and see if his attraction might be mutual.

Chris...more
Ruby
Rating C+

This review was originally posted at Brief Encounters Reviews

A short and sweet story about two friends separated by a great geographical distance, that would have been even better if they’d spent more time together on page.

This is the first story I’ve read by Taylor V. Donovan and I really enjoyed her colourful characters. We first meet Christian and Remy when they are talking on the phone in August, planning the Southern Winterland event due to be held in Houston in December. Christian...more
Gwen
A while back I read Heatstroke, also by Donovan. Didn't like it and wrote a review saying so, which the author was gracious enough to like.

So I decided I've give this a try, since it's short, and I'm currently in a GFY mood. I like it so much better! Chris is so sweet! And Remy could have so easily been the stereotypical flirt without a care in his head for anyone, but he isn't like that at all. Although if what I heard about the second book is true (view spoiler)...more
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

This was a very short prequel to the By Degrees series. It offers some insight into the Christian and Remy dynamic. While I appreciated the back story, I - like some of the other viewers - felt that the story suffered from its length. It was too short.

Bottom line: Good but I wanted more.
Andrea D
Really sweet short story about Remy and Chris.

I read it after Six Degrees of Lust, which doesn't really matter, you just know there happend something...and you have too read about it!!!

Want more of it.
Deanna
Sweet short story of two friends who feel more but try to ignore it. One is gay and proud but the other is straight and confused. It would be nice to know more about them. Well written.
L-D
Christian and Remy are close friends. Chris has been attracted for a while, but Remy is straight and very popular with the ladies. After a near kiss at New Year's, Chris has been pulling away from Remy out of embarrassment as well as to protect himself from falling even deeper for his unattainable friend. Remy misses his friend and is determined not to let Chris keep pushing him away.

This was a very cute short and after reading it, I wanted to know more about these characters. I did read the nex...more
Ronna
Simply put, I loved this story! As soon as I read the excerpt I knew I would. Even though I knew it was a short story, I was still upset when it ended. The set up to the climax was so good and I was so happy when it got there, but it ended so abruptly. The end as well as the title (By Degrees #1) suggest there is more to come, but I truly wanted more at the time. I certainly hope there is more to come, because Chris and Remy's story truly warmed my heart and should be told at greater length. Hop...more
  • Every Time A Bell Rings (Wonderful Life #1)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Personal Shopper
  • Light Me Up (Deputy Joe, #2.5)
  • A Picture Perfect Holiday
  • Little Boy Dead: A Boystown Prequel
  • Possibilities
  • A Summit City Christmas (Sno Ho, #2.5)
  • Liar (Zero at the Bone, #1.3)
  • Mistletoe at Midnight
  • Foreshock
  • Time to Do (Perfect Timing #3)
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Last Chance (First Impressions, #3)
  • Where the Lovelight Gleams
  • Inseparable (Inseparable #1)
  • Sort of Stranger than Fiction (Petit Morts #7)
  • Marked (Roads, #1.5)
Taylor V. Donovan is a compulsive reader and author of gay romance and suspense. She is optimistically cynical about the world; lover of history, museums and all things 80s. She is crazy about fashion, passionate about civil rights and equality for all, and shamelessly indulges in mind-numbing reality television.

When she’s not making a living in the busiest city in the world or telling the storie...more
More about Taylor V. Donovan...
Six Degrees of Lust (By Degrees, #1) Disasterology 101 Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2) Heatstroke 60 Percent Proof (By Degrees, #1.5)