Start by marking “Southern Winterland (By Degrees, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Southern Winterland (By Degrees, #0.5)

Southern Winterland (By Degrees 0.5)

From the By Degrees Universe meet Christian and Remy, close friends who may be destined to be something else…

Christian Murphy is out, proud and very often loud.

Remy Benoit is an equal opportunity flirt, but he swears
guys are not his thing.

Different lifestyles had never interfered with their close
friendship, but after too much alcohol and almost kissing
under the mistletoe a
Published December 6th 2011 by MLR Press

Jewel
3.5

I enjoyed this short. Christian is pining for Remy in Six Degrees of Lust and Remy is mighty confused, too. And the story in this book is pretty much behind it all. I do hope that these boys find their way in future By Degrees books.
Trio
Dec 03, 2016 Trio rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, pub-other, holiday
Oh I loved it - Remy and Christan... I hope they get their own novel or that there is much more about them when the author writes Six Degrees of Agony, I can't wait. The author recently wrote on her blog that she has had a lot come up in 2016 and hopes to get back to writing in 2017 and I'm definitely looking forward to that :) Cheers Taylor and thanks for another great story.
Marte
*** 3 stars ***

A short story with a Christmas-y feel featuring two characters from the By Degrees series, Christian and Remy.

I would recommend reading Six Degrees of Lust first, because we meet both Christian and Remy there and get to know them a little, so I had more knowledge of the characters before reading this. So even though this is classified as #0.5 I would rather say it's #1.5. There's another story classified as #1.5 also, but that one features the two main characters from Six Degrees
Edina Rose
Dec 08, 2011 Edina Rose rated it really liked it
Heatstroke's author strikes again!

Now, this story is very short, the background is totally under-developed, but the characters are amazing and the romance is cute.

Remi and Chris are just friends, but the kind of "just friends" that flirts dangerously all the time. Chris is a flaming gay and Remi is... straight, please. It's just that he is an "equal opportunity flirt", that's all. Don't go develop misplaced ideas about his sexuality! Chris took note and in order to protect his heart, he put so
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
My first thought's when I finshed this book...was Freaking*... WOW!

That was soooooo Good...BUT...I want more...I want a HEA...or even a HFN

Nope, nada, none...and dang book was ONLY 33 pages!

And this lovely book still get 4 Stars from me' because~

" Christian Murphy❤Remy Benoit were...

❤Curl Your Toes Sweet
❤Sizziling HOT...That kiss oooooh my God...Wow!
❤This Chemistry Amazing.
❤Their terms of endearment ...so cute ~
❤This writer has captured my full attention word for word.

♥Gosh, this was an un-ex
Ami
Dec 01, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-short-stories
As much I enjoy Ms. Donovan's writing on this one (oh, she spins the yearning from Chris nicely as well as confusion from Remy -- since he's straight -- nicely), but I think the story itself suffers a little bit from its length. I feel like it's a bit too short.

I know that this story is supposed to be the beginning (I don't know if there's more to their story), but almost half of this story starts in August (with Chris and Remy talk on the phone, and Remy thinking about their almost kiss -- whi
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was a cute story that deals with friends Christian and Remy. I loved being able to see the turmoil in Remy over how Chris was distancing himself, finding out exactly why Chris was being distant and then seeing how Remy tries to break through the barriers Chris puts up. I loved the idea around the Southern Winterland and how Chris keeps it going in honor of his Grandma Violet's holiday tradition. I enjoyed this one very much and my only complaint is that it's too short. I can't wait to see m ...more
Bev
Oct 08, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it

Little shortie of Christian and Remy, and yes I'm afraid you'll have to get the other books to find out who they are. 4 stars and
Jenn
May 23, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, i-own, series
3.5

I"m not sure I like ensemble cast books that will end on 'hill hangers' every time.
Fangtasia
Jan 08, 2012 Fangtasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unrealized potential, is the phrase upppermost in my mind when I think of this delicious story. The author could have done wonders with another thousand words between the phone conversation used to set up the story in the beginning and the resolution at the end.

Everything else was perfect. The characters are incredibly fleshed out, for the short space available. We get the full effect of Remy's confusion and desperation, Chris's ache and frustration, the words unsaid between them burning up the
Mandapanda
Nov 21, 2011 Mandapanda rated it liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Tempting short story about gay Chris and his best straight friend Remy. Very common theme but the author writes it well. I always love the Cajun endearments, bebe and cher. Very sexy! It reads like the first few chapters of a novel and I'm hoping there might be a longer story about this couple still in the works. So as a teaser for a novel it works well but as a story in it's own right it's too short to be really satisfying. I am looking forward to the next release by this author Six Degrees of ...more
Lady*M
Dec 16, 2011 Lady*M rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Almost, but not quite 3 stars

The writing was very good and what there is of the characters is charming - Cajun Remy (I had a dozen X-Men flashbacks every time his name appeared) and New Yorker Chris, however, this was barely a story, more like a snippet. Plus, I hate men behaving like this and avoiding "the pink elephant in the room". I have no doubt many men do, but must they all?! Still, it's to authors credit that I want to know more about them.
Chris
Dec 06, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Good short holiday m/m romance about a gay guy who's been distancing himself from his straight best friend after a drunken almost-kiss under the mistletoe the previous Christmas. This needed to be a bit longer!
Amanda
3 stars

Ahhh Remy and Christian. I'm still not sure why I didn't read this when I read Six Degrees of Lust. A cute read but I wish it had been longer and I read Six Degrees of Lust so fast and several months ago I kinda forgot about Remy and Christian.
Snowtulip
Jul 01, 2012 Snowtulip rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Way too short, but incredibly tantalizing :D I loved how Donovan brought some personality out of the characters in such a short story. Chris and Remy seem to really enjoy each other and support each other, so this next step has me excited for future stories.
Van
Apr 28, 2016 Van rated it really liked it
Heather C
I really liked this.  Loved the sexual tension, but sad that I'm left with probably years of suffering before these guys will ever get their HEA!
Jacq
Aug 18, 2013 Jacq rated it it was amazing
The cover is just fitting. This is a well writen joy... Just a little on the short side. But I surly loved it!
Martin
Jan 10, 2016 Martin rated it it was amazing
That was sweet. A short insight into the friendship of Remy and Chris, two of the side characters of the main novel '6 Degrees of Lust'.
Sadonna
Dec 16, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: pdf, mm, holidays
Oh man! You're teasing us! I can't wait to read more about Remy and Chris.
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
May 31, 2013 Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Yummy sweet and way to short now I CAN'T wait to read the full books with the other guys
Shakisha
Sep 09, 2013 Shakisha rated it really liked it
Oh man I can't wait for more of Chris and Remy's relationship.....
MsMiz (Tina)
Nov 21, 2011 MsMiz (Tina) rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
Not nearly long enough! I will definitely be reading about Chris and Remy in the next installment.
Meggie
Jan 03, 2012 Meggie rated it it was ok
Shelves: shorts
This short story isn't much...
Ruby
Jan 05, 2012 Ruby rated it liked it
Rating C+

This review was originally posted at Brief Encounters Reviews

A short and sweet story about two friends separated by a great geographical distance, that would have been even better if they’d spent more time together on page.

This is the first story I’ve read by Taylor V. Donovan and I really enjoyed her colourful characters. We first meet Christian and Remy when they are talking on the phone in August, planning the Southern Winterland event due to be held in Houston in December. Christian
UltraMeital
That's a really short novella, about 30 pages. It was nice but it was, well, I didn't find it interesting enough.

Chris falls in love with his good and straight friend Remy after an almost first (and drunk) kiss. Trying to handle the feeling he keeps away from Remy as best as he can.

Remy, starting to consider he might not be only into gals but into Chris as well doesn't handle well the fact that Chris keeps his distance, he wants to confront Chris and see if his attraction might be mutual.

Chris
Ronna
Dec 08, 2011 Ronna rated it really liked it
Simply put, I loved this story! As soon as I read the excerpt I knew I would. Even though I knew it was a short story, I was still upset when it ended. The set up to the climax was so good and I was so happy when it got there, but it ended so abruptly. The end as well as the title (By Degrees #1) suggest there is more to come, but I truly wanted more at the time. I certainly hope there is more to come, because Chris and Remy's story truly warmed my heart and should be told at greater length. Hop ...more
L-D
Apr 22, 2012 L-D rated it really liked it
Christian and Remy are close friends. Chris has been attracted for a while, but Remy is straight and very popular with the ladies. After a near kiss at New Year's, Chris has been pulling away from Remy out of embarrassment as well as to protect himself from falling even deeper for his unattainable friend. Remy misses his friend and is determined not to let Chris keep pushing him away.

This was a very cute short and after reading it, I wanted to know more about these characters. I did read the nex
Phaney
Jun 04, 2013 Phaney rated it liked it
That was it? Seriously?

I must have the worst of luck for this to happen to me twice in a row. But yes, this story, too, ended abruptly and without anything resolved. At best it was a beginning, but not even a conclusive one. And it had been so nice up to that point too. Now I feel as though I’m left dangling, worrying about what happens next, and after that, and after that.

Ack, this is frustrating.
Bookbee
There is just something about the way Taylor V. Donovan writes that captures the essence of her characters and brings them to life even in a short story like this one.

Fangtasia used the word "squirming" in her review to describe the reader's reactions and it is the perfect word! I was literally squirming in my seat, stomach clenched and heart thudding in anticipation and sympathy with the MCs.

And I want more, damn it! I want more!
  • Every Time A Bell Rings (Wonderful Life #1)
  • Where the Lovelight Gleams
  • A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • Personal Shopper
  • Light Me Up (Deputy Joe, #2.5)
  • A Picture Perfect Holiday
  • Possibilities
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Christmasing With You
  • Something to Believe In
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 5 (Dark Soul, #5)
  • Joy of the Season (Rupert's Legacy, #1)
  • Equilibrium (Superpowered Love #1)
  • Date Night (Zero at the Bone, #1.1)
  • Turkey in the Snow
  • Pink Lace and Stolen Hearts
  • Scarcity Holidays (Scarcity Sanctuary, #4)
Taylor V. Donovan is a compulsive reader and author of gay romance and suspense. She is optimistically cynical about humanity and a lover of history, museums, and all things 80s. She shamelessly indulges in mind-numbing television, is crazy about fashion, and passionate about civil rights and equality for all.

When she is not writing gay romantic fiction or making a living in the busiest city in t
More about Taylor V. Donovan...

By Degrees (3 books)
  • Six Degrees of Lust (By Degrees, #1)
  • Six Degrees of Separation (By Degrees, #2)
  • Six Degrees of Agony (By Degrees, #3)