Start by marking “20th Century Boys, Band 2 (20th Century Boys, #2)” as Want to Read:
20th Century Boys, Band 2 (20th Century Boys, #2)

20th Century Boys, Band 2 (20th Century Boys #2)

4.43  ·  Rating Details ·  1,730 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Dieser Artikel gehört zur Produktgruppe "Panini Archiv". Wir weisen darauf hin, dass der Artikel ein Lager-Altbestand und somit möglicherweise nicht mehr im sonst üblichen Auslieferungszustand ist. Daher können wir kein Rückgaberecht aufgrund von leichten Beschädigungen gewähren. Bei Artikeln der Produktgruppe "Panini Archiv" besteht kein Umtauschrecht, da wir ...more
Published April 30th 2002 by Planet Manga (first published May 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about 20th Century Boys, Band 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 20th Century Boys, Band 2

Anthony Chavez
May 27, 2012 Anthony Chavez rated it it was amazing
My gosh Urasawa never ceases to amaze me with his layered complex form of storytelling. I had to put Pluto down for a while as this first volume grabbed me. I love tales of childhood that come back to haunt the children later in life. If the first volume didn't bind you to this series then the 2nd one will, by the last page of volume 2 this series completely owned the highest admiration I can give a manga series, which in my opinion Urasawa also holds the title for with Monster.

This volume evok
James DeSantis
Oct 10, 2016 James DeSantis rated it really liked it
Another great volume. You really get into the meet of the characters here which I really enjoyed. Kenji is one of the best main characters. Scared when it feels right, brave when it feels needed, it just don't feel "forced" and still gives you emotional moments and you've only just started knowing these characters.

I love the whole flash forward, flash back, current storyline going on. It gives real stakes and you wonder what in the world is happening. Kenji is at the center of it all and watchi
Mikael Kuoppala
May 04, 2013 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A saga that took off with a bang continues with head-hurting momentum and ever increasing complexity. Urasawa keeps on getting the reader hooked into this tale of a cult connected to the upcoming fall of the human race, stemming from the buried memories of a group of friends. Friends who reconnect to solve the mystery of their shared childhood with its deadly ripples.

Volume 1 "Friends" was all about the dynamic of the posse, but this volume really zooms in on Kenji, the main protagonist. We get
Malapata
Aug 27, 2016 Malapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, comic
Si en el primer volumen se presentaron los personajes y se dieron los primeros indicios de la trama, es en este segundo volumen cuando la historia coge velocidad y engancha al lector. Urasawa es un maestro en soltar pequeñas pistas para mantener enganchado al lector sin apenas revelar nada, y en esta serie se muestra en todo su esplendor.
Un Lector Nocturno
Café de tres estrellas
Buenisimo, la muerte de viejito me llego al alma y esa secuencia final fue fantástica. Seguimos con los saltos temporales y por si fuera poco se introducen mas personajes, me confunden en ocasiones, pero lo acepto, me parece genial.
Michael
Jan 03, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manga
This series is very near and dear to my heart. It's the first complete manga I ever read (maybe, .hack might have been the first), and it has one of the most in depth plots in any graphic novel ever. The basic premise of the series is kind of similar to Stephen King's 'It', though minus the killer clown. It has a giant robot without being about a giant robot, dash of romance that simmers in the background, and most of all it invokes that feeling you had as a child dreaming about how amazing the ...more
Keith
May 29, 2016 Keith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本語で
Volume 1 of 20th Century Boys had been sitting on my shelf for years -- it was one of the first Japanese-language books I ever bought, long before I could even scratch its surface.

I finally noticed it sitting there recently, picked it up, realized "Oh shit, I can actually read this now," and proceeded to tear-ass through it with much joy. Then I went to Kinokuniya, ready after all these years to plunk down my dough for Volume 2, and... they had just stopped carrying the series entirely. Gnashed
Brad
Apr 11, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, sci-fi, mystery
Cool plot. How would you like to wake up one day to realize that someone had taken your crazy ideas as a kid and turned them into a blueprint for world domination? Would you say no way? Would you freak out?

The characters are fascinating and well drawn in both senses. The Plot is even better. It goes deeper and deeper and this is only the second volume. I can't even imagine how far down the rabbit hole goes, but I'm definitely going to jump in. Thank you, Shonen Jump.
Feather Mista
Nov 04, 2013 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Muchos
Recommended to Feather by: Lo mismo
Como me acordaba poco del tomo uno, que leí hace dos años y pico, lo releí antes de mandarme el tres y tuve más o menos la misma sensación que aquella vez: está bien, pero pinta que se va a poner mucho mejor. Por suerte tarda muy poco en tomar ritmo y comenzar a los sopapos, ya que en este tomo las expectativas empiezan a cumplirse. Y los personajes empiezan a pasarla como el orto.
Vold Kira
Dec 09, 2014 Vold Kira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es genial. No puedo esperar a leer el tercer tomo.
Jelly
Oct 15, 2016 Jelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
So far really really good.
John Wiswell
Aug 16, 2014 John Wiswell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this ate my afternoon.

Book 1 hit full stride when it began Donkey’s story, about one of Kenji’s childhood friends who was poor, unwanted and eventually became integral to their band of friends. Book 2 similarly hits its stride with the story of Kiriko, Kenji’s sister who leveraged her whole life to give him opportunities, but has recently vanished. We learn that as a little girl, Kiriko argued her parents out of aborting Kenji, promising to treat him like her own baby, and it radically re
Lexie
Jan 01, 2016 Lexie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gns-owned-read
And the mystery deepens! How is a childhood game played by Kenji and his friends related to this mysterious 'Friend' and his plans for the world? Why is Kenji the one person who can save humanity? Who is the 'Friend'? Could it be Otcho, the leader of the gang when they were kids, mysteriously missing for these 9 years? Why exactly does the 'Friend' world domination is the end all plan?

In the second volume of 20th Century Boys things begin to grow murkier as Kenji investigates further into his fr
Séverine
Apr 10, 2014 Séverine rated it it was amazing
20th Century est le manga qui m'a mit une claque l'année dernière, je ne m'attendais vraiment pas à ça. On ne se le cache pas, la couverture n'est pas belle, mais le contenu est mille fois mieux à l'intérieur ! Ne dit-on pas qu'il n'y a que la beauté intérieure qui compte ?

On retrouve Kenji qui mène toujours son enquête autour d'Ami et sa secte, qui ne prévoit ni plus ni moins que de gouverner le monde -en le détruisant, sinon ce n'est pas marrant- , suite à un délire de gamins. En effet, quand
Seno
Sep 15, 2016 Seno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Selalu dibikin berdecak kagum disetiap ending volume-nya!
Aaron Nickel
Feb 08, 2012 Aaron Nickel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Volume 2 is basically a continuation of volume 1. Most of the book is character development; we learn more about Kenji's past in relation to his friend Yukiji and to his sister. Throughout the book, we see that this cult has tendrils all over, with connections to murders, the police, and even Kenji's sister. The ball really starts moving in the final chapter, where Kenji realizes that the "Friend" and this weird cult is following a script that he and his gang came up with as children--right down ...more
Aaron Broadwell
Aug 17, 2013 Aaron Broadwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
On a train up a mountain in Japan, I fell into conversation with a young Belgian guy who told me loved manga. I said that I had never really read it and asked for a suggestion of where to start, and he told me "20th Century Boys". Good advice!

The partly hidden/partly forgotten story of what happened to a group of young boys is very skillfully played out over multiple volumes of this story. One of their old acquaintances has become The Friend, the masked head of apocalyptic cult that gains politi
Scott Radtke
Jun 16, 2009 Scott Radtke rated it it was amazing
This series is beginning to rival Otomo's unbelievable AKIRA, in its breadth depth and subtlety, and I suspect, by the end, it will surpass at least in terms of storytelling characters, and while the art isn't quite as mind-blowing as Otomo's, Urasawa gives the master a good run for the money. I seriously haven't been this stoked about a comic in a long time.

Book two takes us deeper into the heart of the mystery, fleshing out some of the backstory of Kenji's missing sister, who The Friend is and
Caroline
Mar 03, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, manga
Okay, finally, a pretty decently drawn grownup female character in an Urasawa book. (I love Nina in 'Monster' but she's in the wounded-but-resilient teenager mode, even if technically a grownup by the end.) I wish there was more of her (and more than one of her) but that solves my main irritation with reading Urasawa's stuff.

Meanwhile, the main protagonist is winning me over (Urasawa has a thing with prickly males who endear you because of how they get along with kids), and the plot is really p
Jesus Flores
Jul 22, 2015 Jesus Flores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20 Century boys 2

This is where the author sets the basis and background of linking “amigo” and Kenji, and shows us there is more to it than just a silly cult.
So after meeting old friend Yukiji, Kenji goes on to more flashback of his youth, about his sister, about how he once tried to save Yukiji. Yukiji does remember the sign and who created it, Otcho, who went missing several years before, and tries to connect Kenji with a group of parent of young people that are into the “amigo” cult. Kenji ha
Nia
Jan 28, 2009 Nia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sold, komik, urasawa-naoki
Kenji harus memilih, mengasuh Kanna atau mengelola mini mart ex toko sake peninggalan ayahnya. Pilihan yang sulit...hingga akhirnya dia memilih Kanna, karena mengingat kebaikan kakaknya yang sudah mengasuh dan menjaganya sejak kecil.

Kenji menemukan benang merah antara hubungan kakaknya dengan 'Sahabat'. Siapakah ayahnya Kanna ???

Sedangkan Sang Detektif yang menangani kasus ini mati oleh tangan kanan 'Sahabat', yang merupakan rekan kerja sang detektif....

Apakah Kenji adalah 'Sahabat' ?
নাজমুল হাসান
The plot twist at the end of the volume is just too good. How their childhood comes to haunt their present and shape up to be their future. Also we get a glimpse at Kenji's past and his relationship with his family members. Specially his sister and how important she was in his life. Also she might have some connection with the ordeal Kenji is about to face soon. It might sound cheesy with all that World Domination, Destruction of the world thing, but I have a feeling its more than that.
Danielle
Even better than volume 1! So much to love. Kenji makes a stand against corporate bullying (yay!) and more mysteries unfold. Some great wtf! moments where I can't wait to see what's going on... prolly a lot further down the track...

Reread Dec 2014: thanks again to scarlettraces, MWAH! big kisses
Thepieprophet
Mar 08, 2015 Thepieprophet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adore this manga. Things get much more intense in this volume. There are some hints dropped about who Friend truly is, but I have a feeling we're being led in a false direction on that. I'm pretty excited to find out what happens in volume 3!
Oliver
Jul 01, 2014 Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ziemlich komplex inzwischen, man muss sich bei der Lektüre schon konzentrieren. Manche Sub-Plots sind besser als andere, für die nicht so guten wird man aber immer wieder durch brillante Momente entschädigt.
Rachie
Mar 02, 2016 Rachie rated it it was amazing
We learn more about the characters - especially Yukiji - and her connection with Kenji's gang, one of my favorite characters Kamisama appears in this volume and the mystery of what happened to Otcho and his connection to 'friend' is introduced.
Gaby
Jun 08, 2015 Gaby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
It's truly a masterpiece in my eyes. It's highly recommendable and I can't even say it enough you HAVE to check this manga out.Also how can you not want to read a manga that has a villian called Friend and a homeless guy called God. show less
the golden witch.
Getting closer to what the 'Friend' organization is. I love this series so much, and I've only read two volumes. I wonder what the big event will be that the group of friends unwittingly predicted when they were children?
Norman Cook
Jan 22, 2015 Norman Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Urasawa hits full stride in this second volume. The conspiracy of the doomsday cult is shown to be far greater than imagined, reaching into all corners of business and government, scarily, even the police. Are things already too far gone to fix? I can't wait to see what happens next!
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Children of the Sea, Volume 2 (Children of the Sea, #2)
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • Black Jack, Vol. 2
  • Mushishi, Vol. 7
  • Parasyte, Volume 4
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 2 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #2)
  • Battle Royale, Vol. 10 (Battle Royale, #10)
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • Yotsuba&!, Vol. 06 (Yotsuba&! #6)
Urasawa Naoki ( 浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival ex
More about Naoki Urasawa...

20th Century Boys (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 1 (20th Century Boys, #1)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 3 (20th Century Boys, #3)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 4 (20th Century Boys, #4)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 5 (20th Century Boys, #5)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 6 (20th Century Boys, #6)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 7 (20th Century Boys, #7)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 8 (20th Century Boys, #8)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 9 (20th Century Boys, #9)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 10 (20th Century Boys, #10)
  • 20th Century Boys, Band 11 (20th Century Boys, #11)