Start by marking “My Clockwork Muse (The Poe Files Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
My Clockwork Muse (The Poe Files Mysteries)

My Clockwork Muse (The Poe Files Mysteries)

New York City, 1847: A madman is on the loose. Someone is committing murders in the manner of Edgar Allan Poe's tales of terror. The police are stymied. When a corpse is found interred in a masonry wall in a subterranean chamber, they call on Poe himself to help solve the crime.

Edgar Allan Poe's fictional detective, C. Auguste Dupin, has made the author famous as the mast
Published November 16th 2011 by Rockford Road Publishing

To ask other readers questions about My Clockwork Muse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Clockwork Muse

Tim
Jan 13, 2012 Tim rated it liked it
This publication is more jeu d’esprit than tour de force. The trip—more mechanical than macabre—is like overdosing on Edgar Allan Poe fiction. But the ride is enjoyable.
Set in 1847 New York, the tale is told by Poe as he channels his detective alter-ego, C. Auguste Dupin, in solving the local murders that replicate those proposed in Poe’s writings. Chasing throughout the boroughs, Poe is as hot to capture the culprit as he is to avoid the police pursuit since he remains the chief suspect.
Histori
Thomas Walsh
Jan 06, 2013 Thomas Walsh rated it it was amazing
A murder has been committed. A man, in a jester's hat, has been buried behind a wall. Sound famiiar? It' the plot of Poe's "Cask of Amontillado." The murdered person is Billy Burton, owner/editor of "Gentleman's Magazine", where Poe wrote some of his most famous work. The local police want a slueth to solve the crime. So, who else to call but the creator of Dupin, the most famous detective of litery America, "Eddy" Poe? This wonderful "steampunk" story is told from the perspective of the famous ...more
Jeremy
Nov 29, 2016 Jeremy rated it it was ok
this book is different for sure. there were times when I didn't like it at all, and times that I couldn't put it down. If I could of given a half star I would, but since I can't 2 stars it is.
J.A. Beard
Feb 24, 2012 J.A. Beard rated it really liked it
My Clockwork Muse (A Poe Files Mystery)
Author: D.R. Erickson
Genre: Historical Mystery/Speculative Fiction
Rating: 4 Stars

My Clockwork Muse is a fun take on historical mystery that spices things up with both the presence of Edgar Allan Poe and speculative fiction elements.

Summary:

When someone starts murdering people in ways apparently inspired by Edgar Allan Poe stories, who better than the author himself to solve the crimes? When the evidence and his own behavior begin to point at the man himself
Carl
Jun 06, 2012 Carl rated it liked it
In "My Clockwork Muse" by D. R. Erickson, Poe himself as the central character is an intriguing idea; additionally, murders are being committed which seem to imitate those from Poe's stories. This literary premise is one which quickly peaked my interest and caused me to buy this novel for my Kindle. As I read, I realized that not only was this a mystery, but it was a "steampunk" novel as well. The story did start a little slowly and a bit disjointed; however, as I began to realize the nature of ...more
Sift Book Reviews
Dec 10, 2011 Sift Book Reviews rated it really liked it
Shelves: edward
I liked the idea behind My Clockwork Muse, particularly the police calling on Poe to help with their investigations because of his experience writing mystery novels and the copycat nature of the crimes. It began well and was one of the books I was most looking forward to reading in my queue.

In the novel, Poe suffers from somnambulism, a crazy cat and a talking raven, and soon finds evidence that he himself committed the crimes. He is even more confused when one of the victims turns up alive then
Michael J. Toro
I would more than suspect that literary purists will find the Poe of My Clockwork Muse as incredible as finding a Tasmanian devil in the Antarctic. Erickson's characterization of Poe is so unlike the great writer we've come to know and love (through fact and fiction at least)that I believe he had someone else in mind when he wrote this novel. In fact, the entire setting for the story (New York, circa 1847) appears to be one big anachronism strewn with rambling people, ill-defined places and disp ...more
Johnny
Feb 20, 2014 Johnny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: ebook, own-it
I totally loved this book. So much even, that once finished I immediately bought the sequel, "A Midnight Dreary". I just HAVE to know what happens next!

This book, "My Clockwork Muse" by D.R. Erickson, reads like a new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton movie. While reading, I was constantly so picturing Depp as the framed for murder 19th century writer Edgar Allan Poe. But who could do the voice of his feathery friend, the raven Tap?

Erickson struck all my right chords with this book. There's absolutely no n
Kathy
Mar 15, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This intriguing book fascinated me from page one. I could not put it down. There is a lunatic on the loose who is murdering by Poe's books. Naturally he is highly suspected as he is reclusive and dislikes most company. He does, however, have a pet raven who assists him throughout the book. The author made Poe come alive with spirit and voracity that makes his much more appealing. I also like the fact there is not a load of characters to keep up with. Had that occurred, this book would be a bumme ...more
Neeka
Dec 01, 2012 Neeka rated it it was ok
This book was well written - though it wasn't really a book that I would have read if I had done full research on it. Like I said before, I didn't realize that there were zombies in it and also time machines. I knew the book was written before the movie The Raven was out - but I thought it was more along the lines of a mystery instead of a mystery/sci-fi ... If that was more my line of reading - I would have loved it - and would have given the writer a higher mark - but since it isn't - that is ...more
Saisha Sandoz
May 06, 2012 Saisha Sandoz rated it liked it
the book was a slow starter, but picked up pretty good. i enjoyed reading the book up until the last 25%, at that point it gets weird. it takes a turn towards the end that i would like to not have seen. the first 50% of the book at me gasping and exlaiming "what!?" just when i thought i had it figured out, wham! i am thrown in a differnt direction! i would love for the last part of the book to be written the same way as the first, would have been an incredibly good book then
Anna
Jun 01, 2012 Anna rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle, 2012
J
Oct 20, 2013 J rated it liked it
Was not liking it too much at the beginning. Story is set at the times of Poe, so the language / writing style is set to that time period which really does not appeal to me, but I fought through it. Story picked 2/3 of the way, some additional details were added which to me made it more interesting.
Misterg
Aug 30, 2012 Misterg rated it liked it
A good story with many twists and turns. A lot of the humour is more evident if you have read "The Raven" - I did after about 1/3 of the book. It has also inspired me to read some of the Genuine Article; I have just bought a collection of Poe's short stories, several of which are alluded to in the story.
Ron Voigts
Aug 04, 2012 Ron Voigts rated it really liked it
The style reminds me of Poe’s works, but still reads well. The story takes more twists and turns than a coiling boa. The characters are wild, whacky and captivating. Most important, My Clockwork Muse is entertaining and hard to put down.
Todd
Aug 01, 2012 Todd rated it liked it
I liked the book, even though I found some things a little far fetched. I liked the characters and the setting. I also liked the fact that there was very little swearing in the book. I would read this again and would reccomend it to others
Ruth Mclaughlin
Jan 13, 2017 Ruth Mclaughlin rated it it was amazing
Clockwork

Wonderful twisted tale of Poe in a Steampunk world from the future and encompasses the strange symptoms, actions, and works of Poe in a different vision of history... Poe is always an enigma to readers and biographers; proof is in this tale!
Erik
Dec 03, 2012 Erik rated it it was ok
Though not a great book, I did find this a good diversionary read. It was a very interesting idea to read a mystery book with Poe as a character, even as it devolved into a story with robots and zombies.
Cathy
Mar 10, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I had so much fun reading this book. Reminiscent of a cross between Matthew Pearl and HG Wells, this steampunk novel was fast paced, witty, and charming. While a bit predictable at times, I still could not put this book down. I can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series.
Jeff Smith
Jun 30, 2012 Jeff Smith rated it really liked it
Excellent book. If you are interested in Poe, historical fiction, or steampunk by all means read this book. I am really looking forward to the next book. Very well written. Lots of action, intrigue, mystery, and fun.
Sheila Lowe
May 04, 2012 Sheila Lowe rated it liked it
very different than I expected--mystery with some sci-fi thrown in.
Guido
Guido rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Tina Young
Tina Young rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Dannye
Dannye rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2012
Kris Crews
Kris Crews rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Andrea Mcbride
Andrea Mcbride rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2012
  • Vampyrrhic Rites
  • Children of Chaos
  • Hair of the Bitch
  • Angel Manor
  • SLEEPY HOLLOW: Bridge of Bones (Jason Crane, #2)
  • Don't Forget To Breathe
  • Echoes (Whisper Trilogy Book 2)
  • The Sinner
  • Bedlam Stories
  • Father of Lies
  • Drug (Kassidy Bell Series Book 1)
  • Thirteen (Dark Carousel, #0.5)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
D.R. Erickson was born and raised in Iowa where he continues to live with his wife and children.
More about D.R. Erickson...