Atlantis:  The Eighth Continent

Atlantis: The Eighth Continent

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  11 reviews
For thousands of years before the beginning of recorded history -- the legends tell us -- a powerful civilization flourished in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. This breathtakingly advanced island continent boasted splendid cities, golden temples, crowded seaports from which the far-reaching influence of Atlantis spread to the rest of the world, until its destruction in a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 243 pages
Published April 12th 1985 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1984)

Alytha
I found a German copy of Atlantis- the 8. Continent by Charles Berlitz when we were cleaning out my grandparents' house a couple of months ago. There was a bookmark somewhere in the middle of it, so I guess the original reader didn't get all that far, which is understandable, as you'll see. I guess it was my grandfather's, rather than my grandmother's, who prefers romantic schmonz novels.

The book wants to be a scientific analysis of Atlantis, where it was, and how its culture influenced the peop...more
Joe White
The first couple of chapters here deal with the written texts of Plato an possible actual early references by early Greek and Egyptian historians to either Atlantis or to preceding cities/civilizations that may have been destroyed. Destruction of libraries in Alexandria by the Arabs and in Spain by Spanish Catholics are referenced. These first chapters also reference actual archeological formations that seem to fit a possible supporting hypothesis for Atlantis.

After the initial opening, the book...more
Andy
Jul 03, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poeple who like history.
I have read a couple of Charles Berlitz books and they are always quite interesting. In this Atlantis book he shares and offers up a lot of ancient history that you never hear about. Such as similarities between far away places, ruins around the world and little tidbit facts that aren't things you hear everyday. Great for the history buff.
Michael DeRosa
A thoroughly exhaustive research on the subject. Berlitz makes use of his linguistic skills to show that the root words of languages around the Atlantic can be traced to an unknown origin. His maps of the ocean floor clearly show where the continent could have once existed.
Jānis
Viena no sakarīgākajām grāmatām par Atlantīdu. Nav mēģināts fantazēt, bet ir ļoti daudz faktu un atsauču uz literatūru, lai cilvēks var pats izdomāt, kurā virzienā vairāk nosliekties.
the Skrauss
While I love to read about findings discovering of Prehistoric advanced technological civilization, this book has no footnotes.
Natajia
Atlantis. A subject thats interesting to read from anyones point of view.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I liked this book at the time I read it, but I've read better since.
Anirban, Freeman in Real
Tastes like a traditional American hot-dog!
Joan
Very interesting. Poor quality photos.
Almeida
Very interesting!
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kels
Kels marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Shannon
Shannon is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2014
Nina
Nina added it
Feb 22, 2014
Cweb
Cweb marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Berlitz was born in New York City. He was the grandson of Maximilien (Maximilian) Berlitz, who founded the Berlitz Language Schools. As a child, Charles was raised in a household in which (by his father's orders) every relative and servant spoke to Charles in a different language: he reached adolescence speaking eight languages fluently. In adulthood, he recalled having had the childhood delusion...more
More about Charles Frambach Berlitz...
Bermuda Triangle The Philadelphia Experiment Native Tongues World of Strange Phenomena The Roswell Incident