Start by marking “Circe” as Want to Read:
Circe

Circe

Dr. Black is a good man with a few vices. He is willing to sacrifice his career for his wife, Pria. He takes an internship at a hick institution in Southern Alabama to make his wife happy, but once he is situated in this old hospital, he finds that old habits die-hard. He is sexually compulsive and easily seduced by his supervisor, Cassie, who takes him to the bowls of the ...more
Published November 18th 2011 by Lachesis Publishing (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Circe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Circe

Bob Milne
May 01, 2012 Bob Milne rated it liked it
Shelves: hauntings
I'm always up for a good haunted house tale, and when that haunted house happens to be an old psychiatric hospital . . . well, consider me intrigued. I've been disappointed on more than one occasion when the haunting was passed off as just a psychotic delusion, or the craziest of the patients were exonerated by the presence of the supernatural, but everything I read about Circe suggested that Jessica Penot wouldn't settle for either easy out.

I still had my doubts, especially around the mid-point
Mary Loesch
Aug 01, 2012 Mary Loesch rated it it was amazing
***This book was given to me as part of the author's book tour in exchange for an honest review***

I love a story that makes me pissed off at the main character.

Some readers are all about the likeability factor. You have to like the person in the story in order to continue the journey. While I think that is true, I also think that showing your main character to have horrible flaws is an intriguing way to keep your reader in the moment. That's just what Jessica Penot does in her novel, Circe.

Here'
Kristy Centeno
Jul 23, 2012 Kristy Centeno rated it liked it
This book had me a bit confused at first because I couldn’t quite grasp what was going on. However, the more I read the more I realized this was not your ordinary horror novel. Just like a mystery, you have to dig deep to find the secrets hidden within.
Dr. Black is a very complicated man (at least from my perspective). At times he seems to know exactly what he wants and others, he’s not so sure. I find him to be utterly confusing because of to me it seemed like he had a split personality. For on
Kitty Honeycutt
Nov 25, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it really liked it
Book Title: "Circe"
Author: Jessica Penot
Published By: Lachesis Publishing
Age Recommended: 18 +
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 4

Review: Jessica Penot is an amazing writer with the ability to write a psychological thriller that will leave you wanting to crawl under the covers and hide! "Circe", is about a man that would do anything to make his wife happy, even though he's still unable to stop cheating on her. So, when the couple moves back to their old home in Alabama and he takes on an in
Amy
Jun 20, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
This book blends the story of a couple, their friends, and their work with an otherworldly aspect. It is at times grotesque, but also compelling. Penot captures and hold the reader's attention throughout the book. I'm looking forward to Circe's sequel.
Janice David
Mar 29, 2013 Janice David rated it it was amazing
Amazing.
Lissette
Aug 03, 2012 Lissette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Black will do anything for his wife, including sacrificing his own career in order to make sure she stays happy. Returning home to Alabama, he takes an offer to work at the old psychiatric hospital called Circe. He's not thrilled about the idea in general, but Pria's happiness is of the upmost importance and overrides all of his desires. What Pria wants, she gets, and what she wants is a stable home in Alabama, one she demands he provide for her.

Settling into his new life at Circe, things
KyBunnies
I ask to read this book because it reminds me a little bit about a mental hospital that is near me. Granted the hospital near me does not has the strange history that Circe has it still has some weird history. The mental hospital near me actually has documentation where they would offer $50 dollars and a 50 pound sack of potatoes to people that brought in others that needed help. I wonder how many people were placed in the hospital that did not need to be there.

Circe starts out with a young doct
Rachel Tsoumbakos
Sanity gone wild!

I picked up this book because of the paranormal element to it. What I loved the most, however, was the character interaction. To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed when the paranormal part arrived. I was so lost in the characters and all their problems and flaws, that I didn't want an easy explanation and that is what the paranormal aspect felt like at the start.

Thankfully, the author managed to rectify the situation by creating that fine balance between the real w
B.J. Hyman
Feb 16, 2016 B.J. Hyman rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what to say about this book. I wanted to like it. There were some things that I DID like. But there was way too much that was wrong about the story and the telling of it. There were timing problems in the series of events all through it. There were also many implausible aspects that were beyond what a book of this type asks you to suspend your disbelief over. I just can't give any higher stars than this. If it were reworked with a fine comb, maybe I'd change my mind.
Susan
Aug 02, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
Circe has a well written plot, but it's not your ordinary horror novel, you need to dig deep to find the secrets. Ms. Penot pens an amazing psychological thriller that will leave you wanting to crawl under the covers and hide. I totally enjoyed this book from the beginning to the end and recommend this to all who love thrillers!

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Leah Polcar
Jun 10, 2012 Leah Polcar rated it it was ok
For $2.99, this is worth a read. The paranormal element is sort of a let-down and the explanation a little trite and not totally thought through. I also found the characters to be interesting, but not wholly realistic -- the main character's wife is literally too good to be true and Cassie not very flushed out. However, it reads quickly and is written well. So, again, if you are looking for a nice distraction or a beach book, this would be a good choice.
Constance McKee
Jan 30, 2016 Constance McKee rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book is a page-turner. The plot is suspenseful and moves steadily along, if a little confusing at times. The dialogue is excellent, and the author includes just the right amount of well-crafted descriptive detail. The characters are complex and believable. The book could benefit from good editing, as the typos were distracting. Overall, I enjoyed it a great deal.
Ingo
Jan 24, 2017 Ingo marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Bought this for Eur 0.99 when eReaderIQ Alerts informed me that it was that cheap.
Might be wasted money, skimmed a few reviews, and am not too sure, it is in my normal reading genre - but I like Asylums.
May 31, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
This book had all the elements that usually draw me to a story--antihero, supernatural elements, mental hospital, horror--but it falls oh so flat. Sad, really.
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Ashley Barnard
Ashley Barnard rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2011
Monique
Monique rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Marissa Q.
Marissa Q. rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Shelly
Shelly rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
terri
terri rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2016
A
A rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2016
Gerri
Gerri rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Erin Zarro
Erin Zarro rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2015
Shirley
Shirley rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2016