Circe

Circe

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Dr. Black is a good man with a few vices. He is willing to sacrifice his career for his wife, Pria. He takes an internship at a hick institution in Southern Alabama to make his wife happy, but once he is situated in this old hospital, he finds that old habits die-hard. He is sexually compulsive and easily seduced by his supervisor, Cassie, who takes him to the bowls of the...more
Published November 18th 2011 by Lachesis Publishing (first published November 15th 2011)

Mary Loesch
***This book was given to me as part of the author's book tour in exchange for an honest review***

I love a story that makes me pissed off at the main character.

Some readers are all about the likeability factor. You have to like the person in the story in order to continue the journey. While I think that is true, I also think that showing your main character to have horrible flaws is an intriguing way to keep your reader in the moment. That's just what Jessica Penot does in her novel, Circe.

Here'...more
Bob Milne
I'm always up for a good haunted house tale, and when that haunted house happens to be an old psychiatric hospital . . . well, consider me intrigued. I've been disappointed on more than one occasion when the haunting was passed off as just a psychotic delusion, or the craziest of the patients were exonerated by the presence of the supernatural, but everything I read about Circe suggested that Jessica Penot wouldn't settle for either easy out.

I still had my doubts, especially around the mid-point...more
Kitty Bullard
Book Title: "Circe"
Author: Jessica Penot
Published By: Lachesis Publishing
Age Recommended: 18 +
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 4

Review: Jessica Penot is an amazing writer with the ability to write a psychological thriller that will leave you wanting to crawl under the covers and hide! "Circe", is about a man that would do anything to make his wife happy, even though he's still unable to stop cheating on her. So, when the couple moves back to their old home in Alabama and he takes on an in...more
KyBunnies
I ask to read this book because it reminds me a little bit about a mental hospital that is near me. Granted the hospital near me does not has the strange history that Circe has it still has some weird history. The mental hospital near me actually has documentation where they would offer $50 dollars and a 50 pound sack of potatoes to people that brought in others that needed help. I wonder how many people were placed in the hospital that did not need to be there.

Circe starts out with a young doct...more
Kristy Centeno
This book had me a bit confused at first because I couldn’t quite grasp what was going on. However, the more I read the more I realized this was not your ordinary horror novel. Just like a mystery, you have to dig deep to find the secrets hidden within.
Dr. Black is a very complicated man (at least from my perspective). At times he seems to know exactly what he wants and others, he’s not so sure. I find him to be utterly confusing because of to me it seemed like he had a split personality. For on...more
Rachel Tsoumbakos
Sanity gone wild!

I picked up this book because of the paranormal element to it. What I loved the most, however, was the character interaction. To be perfectly honest, I was a little disappointed when the paranormal part arrived. I was so lost in the characters and all their problems and flaws, that I didn't want an easy explanation and that is what the paranormal aspect felt like at the start.

Thankfully, the author managed to rectify the situation by creating that fine balance between the real w...more
Lissette
David Black will do anything for his wife, including sacrificing his own career in order to make sure she stays happy. Returning home to Alabama, he takes an offer to work at the old psychiatric hospital called Circe. He's not thrilled about the idea in general, but Pria's happiness is of the upmost importance and overrides all of his desires. What Pria wants, she gets, and what she wants is a stable home in Alabama, one she demands he provide for her.

Settling into his new life at Circe, things...more
Leah
For $2.99, this is worth a read. The paranormal element is sort of a let-down and the explanation a little trite and not totally thought through. I also found the characters to be interesting, but not wholly realistic -- the main character's wife is literally too good to be true and Cassie not very flushed out. However, it reads quickly and is written well. So, again, if you are looking for a nice distraction or a beach book, this would be a good choice.
Susan
Circe has a well written plot, but it's not your ordinary horror novel, you need to dig deep to find the secrets. Ms. Penot pens an amazing psychological thriller that will leave you wanting to crawl under the covers and hide. I totally enjoyed this book from the beginning to the end and recommend this to all who love thrillers!

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Amy
This book blends the story of a couple, their friends, and their work with an otherworldly aspect. It is at times grotesque, but also compelling. Penot captures and hold the reader's attention throughout the book. I'm looking forward to Circe's sequel.
This book had all the elements that usually draw me to a story--antihero, supernatural elements, mental hospital, horror--but it falls oh so flat. Sad, really.
Hope
Hope marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Annabel
Annabel marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
stacey
stacey marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Natalya Kuraeva
Natalya Kuraeva marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Lyra
Lyra marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Kourtney
Kourtney marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Ama Pearl
Ama Pearl marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Anne Logan
Anne Logan marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Echelle
Echelle marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Brenda Calderin
Brenda Calderin marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Halley Basche
Halley Basche marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Death's Dream Kingdom The Twilight Saint The Accidental Witch Haunted North Alabama (Haunted America) The Midnight Queen