Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,104 ratings  ·  79 reviews
We live in an age of unparalleled opportunity for innovation. We’re building more products than ever before, but most of them fail—not because we can’t complete what we set out to build, but because we waste time, money, and effort building the wrong product.

What we need is a systematic process for quickly vetting product ideas and raising our odds of success. That’s the p...more
Published March 6th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Lean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running Lean

Clean Code by Robert C. MartinRefactoring by Martin FowlerThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesSucceeding with Agile by Mike Cohn
Top 100 Agile Books
14th out of 129 books — 28 voters
The Lean Startup by Eric RiesThe Jetstream of Success by Julian PencilliahSecret to Startup Failure by Sonia LinFounders at Work by Jessica LivingstonThe 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss
Before Starting a Startup...read these
11th out of 52 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

m ko
Every startup has it’s good and bad days. Question is, what to do, when you find that your initial idea is not quite as good as you expected it to be.

Ash tries to answer this question by providing clean path to the success. By describing various aspects of running project he will show you issues that are particularly worth addressing. I have to admit that Ash provides you with lots of valuable information regarding issues you will probably encounter during project.

Generally, problem with this ki...more
Jay Weeldreyer
If you're an internet entrepreneur, this is a book that should be found in your bag or on your desk, dog-eared and well worn. When they introduced the idea of a "Lean Startup," Eric Ries and Steve Blank challenged entrepreneurs and investors everywhere with a new Grand Theory about how startups work, what they do, and how they can be more successful. But there was little indication of how to translate those ideas into workable, real-world scenarios.

Running Lean is the first book I've encountered...more
Rob
Ash Maurya describes his book as follows:

Running Lean is a handbook for practicing entrepreneurs who want to increase their odds of success.

Which, for me, was originally off-putting. Why? When I was reading the blurb, I focused in on the words innovate and iterate and blocked out venture and bootstrapping. I came at this book as an engineer, not as an entrepreneur. And my initial enthusiasm quickly waned: is this going to be one of those self-important business books? But pretty quickly, I figu...more
Erik
If you plan on founding your first start up and you could only read one book, you would be well served to pick Running Lean. More practically oriented the Eric Ries' The Lean Startup, it contains enough theory to help you understand why his practices work. A true handbook on how get right the hardest parts of starting up your company. The clear directions and advice left me feeling like I really could use lean practices if I ever found myself in a technology start-up.
Patrik Hallberg
Reading this in order so that we are all on the same page before we create a lean canvas for eCraft International. Lean Canvas is a further development of Alex Osterwalder’s Business Model Canvas, which he describes in the book Business Model Generation. Lean Canvas helps deconstruct your business model into nine distinct subparts that are then systematically tested, in order of highest to lowest risk.
Stage 1: Problem/Solution Fit Key question: Do I have a problem worth solving?
Stage 2: Product/...more
Dave Applegate
-Very good introduction to the "lean business model canvas," a way of testing your idea and market for profitability.
-Makes an excellent case for why start ups should remain grounded in reality and test their theories before jumping head first into development and then staying highly connected with their potential customers throughout the entire development process.
-Does a good job walking you through the steps to create "lean business model canvas" in a very realistic and easy to understand m...more
Bulent Duagi
Practical examples for applying lean startup principles
Robert Postill
I picked up this book because having read the lean startup (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) I felt like I hadn't got much to proactively do to implement it's suggestions. This book bills itself as the practical companion to the lean startup so I was deeply attracted to the premise.

The book should be read chapter upon chapter as the ideas under discussion build towards the conclusion in a linear fashion. So effectively what you end up with is a step-by-step formula for emulating the aut...more
Jyri
The thing about books like Running Lean is that they almost make me want to start a business of my own. Unfortunately I lack the push to take the leap. Luckily, I am working in consumer service development, so I can actually make use of the learnings from this book in my current work. And what is even more fortunate, I can actually affect the way my team works.

Running Lean is not actually a revelation, as I have been a fan of agile development for quite some time. Lean methods presented in this...more
Jim B.

Probably one of the better trendy "Lean" books out these days. Despite being drawn from blog content, it's fairly well edited he did an excellent job porting his posts and talks to book format.

Stuff I liked:
- The author is a technical founder, so he knows how the sausage is made.

- To get your idea on paper, Ash Maurya created a "Lean Canvas" which is an adaptation of the Osterwalder Business Model Canvas. Maurya's canvas is much more down-to-earth and is a much better fit for any software start

Louis
This is a book on starting a new enterprise, which actually does not necessarily have to be a formal startup. I can see its lessons in my current role as a professor, who is not in the standard tenure track. In many ways, because I have to be regularly answering the question of what my position is it sometimes falls into this. This book is helping me frame how I present myself and propose new projects, in particular trying to establish a long-term stable position for myself.

In particular, the id...more
Matt
There's new material in the form of case studies and comparisons that build on what was addressed in the first book, that may help you adapt the Running Lean concepts to your business. This isn't a one-size-fits-all book, but it certainly does a nice job building on the concepts introduced by others like Ries and Osterwalder. Whether you're a small software startup or a small shop in the midst of a large corporation, Running Lean, 2nd Edition is a great model for thinking about new approaches to...more
George Wang
Recommended by Henri Shi from his VeloCity Campus "Lean Business Model" workshop.

I would label this book as a MUST READ for anyone trying to create a start-up or get started on a project.

The original "Lean Startup" book by Eric Ries introduces the theories behind the Lean Methodologies. It's interesting, but it leaves you not knowing exactly where to start.

This book, in contrast, is very detailed and practical. It shifts away from "what to think," towards "what to do."

Examples:

How to fill out a...more
Fabricio
O livro apresenta uma boa base para aqueles que desejam iniciar sua Startup. O conceito do Lean de evitar desperdício é bastante focado bem como a exposição da metodologia de Hipótese-Validação. Isso tudo é apresentado dentro das três fases de uma Startup contando com exemplos do próprio autor.

Acredito que o livro exija um pouco mais de abstração para quem não for da área de software, apesar de ainda assim ser aplicável a outros tipos de empreendimentos.

A forma como são expostos os experimentos...more
Matthew
This is the book I am currently reading to motivate me towards starting my own business. In it, Ash Maurya presents an excellent alternative to a long-winded business plan in the form of a "lean canvass", which is essentially a one-page business plan that can easily be manipulated and changed as one takes their idea from conception to market. The idea is to focus on interviewing customers (without selling them anything), then use their answers to build and introduce a product - thereby reducing...more
Trina
This book provides a decent overview of Lean Startup methodologies and describes the process. You could almost use this book as a step-by-step guide for building a tech startup. It's a great resource and is known as a must-read for those entering the Lean Startup world.

That said, I would have liked more data on the success rates of startups using these methodologies, and more information on why this process works better than others. The beginning of the book where it describes the Lean Canvas a...more
James Slifierz
Apr 05, 2013 James Slifierz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: entrepreneurs, product developers
I'll have to admit that Ash Maurya's Running Lean blew me away with its practicality and step-by-step walk-through of the pre-product development process. His templates and instructions are a must-read for tech startups. The Lean Canvas, Problem/Solution Interviews, and the Kanban Board are all tools that were introduced to me through this book and contine to play a major role in product development.

It's important to note that the methods taught in this book can be applied across many industries...more
Chiara
incredibly actionable and practical. from customer development to sales to copywriting to thinking.from an entrepreneur who's not into tech.
Mya
If you've read "The Lean Start-up" and were left wondering "that's cool, but HOW", then this is the book for you. Written using a Lean Start-up approach over a period of two years, this is a quick and easy read with some awesome examples and case studies. The book provides basic tools (to the level of templates for conversations) on (1) how to ensure you're actually solving a problem that people need solved and (2) that the solution you propose is something that solves the problem and that peopl...more
Tina
Good suggestions for working through a business idea without spending a ton of time on a business plan no one will read.
Amr
A good book is a one that you read once and highlight several quotes from it to keep them for later reference , while a great book like this one is where your read it at least twice, refer to it from time to time while applying each advice in it, and you get to stop quoting from it as you'll find yourself at then end referencing the whole book after a lot of hesitation about which part deserves quoting more than the other.

I've just finished the first round of reading it and returned back to its...more
Andrea Hill
A good practical guide on how Lean Principles (Build-Measure-Learn) can be applied in the Startup World. I was working with leanstack.com at the same time so it was fun to put into practice. Hooray for actual sample interview scripts!

I'm really trying to figure out how this all comes into play with an existing customer base and infrastructure. Determining what the MVP is is one thing, but I faltered a bit in how you continue to improve your existing products using this model. I guess Ash couldn'...more
Dariusz
Świetne uzupełnienie dla Lean Startup. Tu znajdziecie samo "mięsko" można zobaczyć jak tworzyć i pracować z Lean Canvas oraz jak przejść przez poszczególne etapy życia startupu. Pewnym minuesem jest to , że jest ona oparta o startup software'owy.
Maciej Mróz
This book is a worthy follow up to "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries. Instead of focusing on the principles of lean startup (which original book did extremely well), "Running Lean" is presenting exact recipes on how to specify, validate, develop and introduce new product to market. While this knowledge obviously applies to startups, I think this way of doing things applies to any product where uncertainty is very high. For this reason, I'd recommend this book not only to people who want to start their...more
jeremy
Dec 07, 2011 jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early-stage startups
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Great book which provides more practical advice borrowing from the more theoretical startup books, e.g. "The 4 Steps to the Epiphany", "The Lean Startup", and "Business Model Generation". Extending concepts from these books, Ash boils it down into a simply, yet rigorous process that's easier to put into action.

He's equally candid about the context he's used his "Running Lean" method in.

Overall, great practical advice for early stage entrepreneurs looking to get started. Skip the other books me...more
سامح دعبس
I finished this book quickly to know what's in, and I believe I MUST read it again, but the next time I should apply what's in!
The book is a PRACTICAL step-by-step guide to building startups, focused in -almost- software startups (which is great for me, as I am a software developer :)
I read The Lean Startup, and Business Model Generation, and I think they are great books! But unfortunately, I was unable to decide from where to start and what to do next! This book (Running Lean) fill these gaps a...more
Patrick Obolgogiani
Mandatory sequel for Ries' Lean startup.
Patrick
Nice companion to Eric Reis's book.
Milele
I learned more from this book than I did from A Startup Owner's Manual, even though it's a sixth the size and is mostly on the same topics. A big contributor to that is that I couldn't finish ASOM much as I tried. Maybe I'll be able to refer to ASOM, much in the way that many textbooks are terrible to read but are useful references during a guided course and after one has learnt the material. But for an introduction and some immediately practical ideas combined in a slim readable book, I recomme...more
Henry
Ash did a great job consolidating a lot of resources and his own experience into a clear step-by-step process for starting a company. This philosophy makes so much sense it's remarkable and I think everyone in the business world, particularly those doing anything web related, should give it a read.

I can't say that this is a complete step-by-step - it seems like there is always so much more to do than just what's in the book - but it's certainly very helpful and informative.
Goodreads Librari...: Little help with a cleanup 3 22 Nov 15, 2013 01:42PM
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Inspired: How to Create Products Customers Love
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Specification by Example
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation (Addison-Wesley Signature)
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these...more
More about Ash Maurya...
Metoda Running Lean. Iteracja Od Planu a Do Planu, Ktory Da CI Sukces. Wydanie II

“Life's too short to build something nobody wants.” 2 likes
“Customers don’t care about your solution. They care about their problems. —Dave McClure, 500 Startups” 0 likes