Start by marking “Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works” as Want to Read:
Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Read Book

Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  5,461 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
We live in an age of unparalleled opportunity for innovation. We’re building more products than ever before, but most of them fail—not because we can’t complete what we set out to build, but because we waste time, money, and effort building the wrong product.

What we need is a systematic process for quickly vetting product ideas and raising our odds of success. That’s the p
Published March 6th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Lean, please sign up.

Hamzah Kattan There's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and…moreThere's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and procedural, many view that as a con but I find it to be its main strength. It's all about its details, go for it.(less)

Mya
Jul 17, 2013 Mya rated it it was amazing
If you've read "The Lean Start-up" and were left wondering "that's cool, but HOW", then this is the book for you. Written using a Lean Start-up approach over a period of two years, this is a quick and easy read with some awesome examples and case studies. The book provides basic tools (to the level of templates for conversations) on (1) how to ensure you're actually solving a problem that people need solved and (2) that the solution you propose is something that solves the problem and that peopl ...more
Rob
Mar 25, 2012 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, business
Ash Maurya describes his book as follows:

Running Lean is a handbook for practicing entrepreneurs who want to increase their odds of success.

Which, for me, was originally off-putting. Why? When I was reading the blurb, I focused in on the words innovate and iterate and blocked out venture and bootstrapping. I came at this book as an engineer, not as an entrepreneur. And my initial enthusiasm quickly waned: is this going to be one of those self-important business books? But pretty quickly, I fig
m ko
Mar 11, 2012 m ko rated it liked it
Every startup has it’s good and bad days. Question is, what to do, when you find that your initial idea is not quite as good as you expected it to be.

Ash tries to answer this question by providing clean path to the success. By describing various aspects of running project he will show you issues that are particularly worth addressing. I have to admit that Ash provides you with lots of valuable information regarding issues you will probably encounter during project.

Generally, problem with this ki
Oday Zaher
Jun 26, 2016 Oday Zaher rated it really liked it
I recommend reading the following books before jumping on this one:
-The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
-Business Model Generation by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur
-Value Proposition Design by Alan Smith, Alexander Osterwalder, Gregory Bernarda, Trish Papadakos, and Yves Pigneur.

This will create a wider range of understanding of what the Lean Startup is all about. I also recommend jumping on Ash's new book: Scaling Lean as it is a continuation of this book (In terms of scaling the Business)
سمر علي
Apr 29, 2015 سمر علي rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good reference for building a startup. What I really liked is the interviews.
Jay Weeldreyer
Mar 11, 2014 Jay Weeldreyer rated it liked it
Shelves: startups
If you're an internet entrepreneur, this is a book that should be found in your bag or on your desk, dog-eared and well worn. When they introduced the idea of a "Lean Startup," Eric Ries and Steve Blank challenged entrepreneurs and investors everywhere with a new Grand Theory about how startups work, what they do, and how they can be more successful. But there was little indication of how to translate those ideas into workable, real-world scenarios.

Running Lean is the first book I've encountered
Louis
Mar 16, 2013 Louis rated it really liked it
This is a book on starting a new enterprise, which actually does not necessarily have to be a formal startup. I can see its lessons in my current role as a professor, who is not in the standard tenure track. In many ways, because I have to be regularly answering the question of what my position is it sometimes falls into this. This book is helping me frame how I present myself and propose new projects, in particular trying to establish a long-term stable position for myself.

In particular, the id
Erik
Aug 27, 2012 Erik rated it really liked it
If you plan on founding your first start up and you could only read one book, you would be well served to pick Running Lean. More practically oriented the Eric Ries' The Lean Startup, it contains enough theory to help you understand why his practices work. A true handbook on how get right the hardest parts of starting up your company. The clear directions and advice left me feeling like I really could use lean practices if I ever found myself in a technology start-up.
Александр Федотов
Интересная книга, соединяющая на практике customer development и lean мышление.
Подтвердила мои выводы о том, что чем больше ты говоришь с клиентами тем меньше рисков сделать что то не то, что хочет рынок(кеп).

Я так и не смог прочитать 4steps to ephihany, но это хороший пример рабочей методологии для интернет проектов
Bulent Duagi
Jun 08, 2013 Bulent Duagi rated it really liked it
Practical examples for applying lean startup principles
Anssi Grekula
Nov 27, 2016 Anssi Grekula rated it really liked it
Practical as promised, Running Lean provides actionable advice for the aspiring entrepreneur. The book is at its best in a B2C software context, but the framework can be adapted to suit other cases as well. I would add some additional treatment of B2B specific issues to cater for even wider audience. Fast to read, slow to digest, as any good piece of writing. I enjoyed it a lot.
Kent
Nov 29, 2016 Kent rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I am now on the "lean startup" bandwagon. I'm going back to read some prerequisites like Lean Startup by Eric Ries and Business Model Generation by Alexander Osterwalder. Maurya convinces me that the "lean" approach is right on. Figuring out the problem/solution and product/market questions first makes good sense and seems to carry the power these authors suggest.
Juan Felipe
Oct 28, 2016 Juan Felipe rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing followup to the Lean Startup. In Running Lean Maurya provides very helpful examples of how he applied the Lean Thinking methodology to develop his own company. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone trying to transition from ideation to running a lean startup.
Giuliano Barros
Nov 22, 2016 Giuliano Barros rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Excelente livro sobre como iniciar uma empresa e desenvolver produtos de forma enxuta. Complementa de forma prática os livros Business Model Generation, Value Proposition Design, etc.
Recomendo à todos os empreendedores que ainda não tenham lido.
Marcio Endo
Nov 02, 2016 Marcio Endo rated it liked it
Gostei do estilo 'direto ao ponto' do autor.

Exemplifica seus processos ou sua metodologia com casos práticos ocorridos em seus empreendimentos.

Recomendo.
David
Jan 19, 2017 David rated it liked it
Walks through finding a business problem, solving that, then sell it to a known market instead of making a product first and trying to sell it to an unknown market.

Page 187 on continuous deployment is a reference item I use in discussions.
Adam
Jan 19, 2017 Adam rated it really liked it
Really solid. Covered a lot of stuff I'm completely new to. Would recommend.
Outdoors Nerd
Oct 17, 2016 Outdoors Nerd rated it really liked it
I read this in 2013 and reread this week... and it's still as relevant despite the examples and additional resources being out of date. I prefer Dan Olsen's 2016 playbook but the is a great reference book.... keep it to hand.
Patrik Hallberg
Sep 01, 2014 Patrik Hallberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Reading this in order so that we are all on the same page before we create a lean canvas for eCraft International. Lean Canvas is a further development of Alex Osterwalder’s Business Model Canvas, which he describes in the book Business Model Generation. Lean Canvas helps deconstruct your business model into nine distinct subparts that are then systematically tested, in order of highest to lowest risk.
Stage 1: Problem/Solution Fit Key question: Do I have a problem worth solving?
Stage 2: Product/
Jim B.
Jul 28, 2013 Jim B. rated it really liked it

Probably one of the better trendy "Lean" books out these days. Despite being drawn from blog content, it's fairly well edited he did an excellent job porting his posts and talks to book format.

Stuff I liked:
- The author is a technical founder, so he knows how the sausage is made.

- To get your idea on paper, Ash Maurya created a "Lean Canvas" which is an adaptation of the Osterwalder Business Model Canvas. Maurya's canvas is much more down-to-earth and is a much better fit for any software start

Glenn Schmelzle
Nov 16, 2016 Glenn Schmelzle rated it liked it
A very methodical, practical guide to making products people want.
Robert Postill
Jun 12, 2014 Robert Postill rated it liked it
I picked up this book because having read the lean startup (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) I felt like I hadn't got much to proactively do to implement it's suggestions. This book bills itself as the practical companion to the lean startup so I was deeply attracted to the premise.

The book should be read chapter upon chapter as the ideas under discussion build towards the conclusion in a linear fashion. So effectively what you end up with is a step-by-step formula for emulating the aut
Jyri
Jul 05, 2011 Jyri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing about books like Running Lean is that they almost make me want to start a business of my own. Unfortunately I lack the push to take the leap. Luckily, I am working in consumer service development, so I can actually make use of the learnings from this book in my current work. And what is even more fortunate, I can actually affect the way my team works.

Running Lean is not actually a revelation, as I have been a fan of agile development for quite some time. Lean methods presented in this
Christian E
Jun 04, 2015 Christian E rated it it was amazing
I was doing everything the wrong way. This book cleared me the startup panorama, introduced me to this world very quickly with a summary of some of the most popular and proven existing methods to face the challenges of starting a business, showed me the big don'ts (as secrecy) and led me straight to put the principles practice. Very practical and straight to the point. There are not many good practical books like this for this topic.

I would recommend this book to people who wants to start a busi
George Wang
Jun 06, 2013 George Wang rated it it was amazing
Recommended by Henri Shi from his VeloCity Campus "Lean Business Model" workshop.

I would label this book as a MUST READ for anyone trying to create a start-up or get started on a project.

The original "Lean Startup" book by Eric Ries introduces the theories behind the Lean Methodologies. It's interesting, but it leaves you not knowing exactly where to start.

This book, in contrast, is very detailed and practical. It shifts away from "what to think," towards "what to do."

Examples:

How to fill out a
Mike
May 05, 2016 Mike rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-gonna-read
Ugh. This is probably the most hollow and soulless thing I've ever been forced to read.

After 30 pages of quotes about how good the book is and why it is going to be useful, Chapter 1 is a mishmash of quotes about how amazing entrepreneurs are at everything and defining buzzword terms and crediting other silicon valley Ted Talkers for inventing WORDS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Chapter 2 is literally a case study in how writing this book fits his process for creating start-up companies... how the tab
Stuart Vincent
**Warning: this text may contain spoilers.**

Link to Amazon http://www.amazon.com

Link to book: Steve Jobs http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Walt...
Link to author: J.K.Rowling

This is bold text. This is bold text
This is italic text. This is italic text
This text is underlined. This is underlined text
This text is striked out. This is striked out text
This is block quote
This is block quote text

This would be a new paragraph on GR.com but not a new pa
Fabricio
May 12, 2012 Fabricio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
O livro apresenta uma boa base para aqueles que desejam iniciar sua Startup. O conceito do Lean de evitar desperdício é bastante focado bem como a exposição da metodologia de Hipótese-Validação. Isso tudo é apresentado dentro das três fases de uma Startup contando com exemplos do próprio autor.

Acredito que o livro exija um pouco mais de abstração para quem não for da área de software, apesar de ainda assim ser aplicável a outros tipos de empreendimentos.

A forma como são expostos os experimentos
Matt
May 19, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: biz-reads
There's new material in the form of case studies and comparisons that build on what was addressed in the first book, that may help you adapt the Running Lean concepts to your business. This isn't a one-size-fits-all book, but it certainly does a nice job building on the concepts introduced by others like Ries and Osterwalder. Whether you're a small software startup or a small shop in the midst of a large corporation, Running Lean, 2nd Edition is a great model for thinking about new approaches to ...more
Krvava Meri
Apr 14, 2015 Krvava Meri rated it really liked it
Shelves: podjetno
Ash Maurya je napisal odličen priročnik, ki uspešno združuje dve ideji, ki sta spremenili podjetniški svet. Eno je Riesovo vitko podjetništvo in drugi Osterwalderjev poslovni model Canvas. Njuni knjigi priporočam vsako posebej, ampak priporočam tudi Muaryajevo združitev obeh.

Running Lean ali Delaj vitko, kot zveni slovenski prevod, je res dodelan priročnik, ki podjetnika vodi po korakih do uspešne realizacije poslovne ideje. Temelji na stalnem preizkušanju ideje, dokler ne pride do poslovnega us
Goodreads Librari...: Little help with a cleanup 3 24 Nov 15, 2013 01:42PM
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these
More about Ash Maurya...

“Life's too short to build something nobody wants.” 7 likes
“Customers don’t care about your solution. They care about their problems. —Dave McClure, 500 Startups” 3 likes