Start by marking “Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works” as Want to Read:
Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Read Book

Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,760 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
We live in an age of unparalleled opportunity for innovation. We’re building more products than ever before, but most of them fail—not because we can’t complete what we set out to build, but because we waste time, money, and effort building the wrong product.

What we need is a systematic process for quickly vetting product ideas and raising our odds of success. That’s the p
Published March 6th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

The Lean Startup by Eric RiesThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy FerrissRework by Jason FriedZero to One by Peter Thiel
Before Starting a Startup...read these
11th out of 91 books — 154 voters
The Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Mythical Man-Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.Code Complete by Steve McConnellPeopleware by Tom DeMarcoRework by Jason Fried
Epic CTO Reading List
14th out of 85 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

m ko
Mar 11, 2012 m ko rated it liked it
Every startup has it’s good and bad days. Question is, what to do, when you find that your initial idea is not quite as good as you expected it to be.

Ash tries to answer this question by providing clean path to the success. By describing various aspects of running project he will show you issues that are particularly worth addressing. I have to admit that Ash provides you with lots of valuable information regarding issues you will probably encounter during project.

Generally, problem with this ki
Mya
Jul 17, 2013 Mya rated it it was amazing
If you've read "The Lean Start-up" and were left wondering "that's cool, but HOW", then this is the book for you. Written using a Lean Start-up approach over a period of two years, this is a quick and easy read with some awesome examples and case studies. The book provides basic tools (to the level of templates for conversations) on (1) how to ensure you're actually solving a problem that people need solved and (2) that the solution you propose is something that solves the problem and that peopl ...more
Mostafa Nageeb
Aug 31, 2011 Mostafa Nageeb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that will guide you through the process of building your web start-up. It will take you starting from finding a problem to solve, building a demo, conduct customer interviews, determining your MVP, till launching and releasing the first version of your product. I recommend it for people who want to start a new web business.
سمر علي
Apr 29, 2015 سمر علي rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good reference for building a startup. What I really liked is the interviews.
Jay Weeldreyer
Mar 11, 2014 Jay Weeldreyer rated it liked it
Shelves: startups
If you're an internet entrepreneur, this is a book that should be found in your bag or on your desk, dog-eared and well worn. When they introduced the idea of a "Lean Startup," Eric Ries and Steve Blank challenged entrepreneurs and investors everywhere with a new Grand Theory about how startups work, what they do, and how they can be more successful. But there was little indication of how to translate those ideas into workable, real-world scenarios.

Running Lean is the first book I've encountered
Rob
Mar 25, 2012 Rob rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, business
Ash Maurya describes his book as follows:

Running Lean is a handbook for practicing entrepreneurs who want to increase their odds of success.

Which, for me, was originally off-putting. Why? When I was reading the blurb, I focused in on the words innovate and iterate and blocked out venture and bootstrapping. I came at this book as an engineer, not as an entrepreneur. And my initial enthusiasm quickly waned: is this going to be one of those self-important business books? But pretty quickly, I fig
Christian E
Jun 04, 2015 Christian E rated it it was amazing
I was doing everything the wrong way. This book cleared me the startup panorama, introduced me to this world very quickly with a summary of some of the most popular and proven existing methods to face the challenges of starting a business, showed me the big don'ts (as secrecy) and led me straight to put the principles practice. Very practical and straight to the point. There are not many good practical books like this for this topic.

I would recommend this book to people who wants to start a busi
Erik
Aug 27, 2012 Erik rated it really liked it
If you plan on founding your first start up and you could only read one book, you would be well served to pick Running Lean. More practically oriented the Eric Ries' The Lean Startup, it contains enough theory to help you understand why his practices work. A true handbook on how get right the hardest parts of starting up your company. The clear directions and advice left me feeling like I really could use lean practices if I ever found myself in a technology start-up.
Mike
Apr 27, 2016 Mike rated it did not like it
Shelves:
Ugh. This is probably the most hollow and soulless thing I've ever been forced to read.

After 30 pages of quotes about how good the book is and why it is going to be useful, Chapter 1 is a mishmash of quotes about how amazing entrepreneurs are at everything and defining buzzword terms and crediting other silicon valley Ted Talkers for inventing WORDS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Chapter 2 is literally a case study in how writing this book fits his process for creating start-up companies... how the tab
Stuart Vincent
**Warning: this text may contain spoilers.**

Link to Amazon http://www.amazon.com

Link to book: Steve Jobs http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Jobs-Walt...
Link to author: J.K.Rowling

This is bold text. This is bold text
This is italic text. This is italic text
This text is underlined. This is underlined text
This text is striked out. This is striked out text
This is block quote
This is block quote text

This would be a new paragraph on GR.com but not a new pa
Александр Федотов
Интересная книга, соединяющая на практике customer development и lean мышление.
Подтвердила мои выводы о том, что чем больше ты говоришь с клиентами тем меньше рисков сделать что то не то, что хочет рынок(кеп).

Я так и не смог прочитать 4steps to ephihany, но это хороший пример рабочей методологии для интернет проектов
Patrik Hallberg
Sep 01, 2014 Patrik Hallberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Reading this in order so that we are all on the same page before we create a lean canvas for eCraft International. Lean Canvas is a further development of Alex Osterwalder’s Business Model Canvas, which he describes in the book Business Model Generation. Lean Canvas helps deconstruct your business model into nine distinct subparts that are then systematically tested, in order of highest to lowest risk.
Stage 1: Problem/Solution Fit Key question: Do I have a problem worth solving?
Stage 2: Product/
Dave Applegate
Feb 06, 2014 Dave Applegate rated it it was amazing
-Very good introduction to the "lean business model canvas," a way of testing your idea and market for profitability.
-Makes an excellent case for why start ups should remain grounded in reality and test their theories before jumping head first into development and then staying highly connected with their potential customers throughout the entire development process.
-Does a good job walking you through the steps to create "lean business model canvas" in a very realistic and easy to understand m
Bulent Duagi
Jun 08, 2013 Bulent Duagi rated it really liked it
Practical examples for applying lean startup principles
Robert Postill
Jun 12, 2014 Robert Postill rated it liked it
I picked up this book because having read the lean startup (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) I felt like I hadn't got much to proactively do to implement it's suggestions. This book bills itself as the practical companion to the lean startup so I was deeply attracted to the premise.

The book should be read chapter upon chapter as the ideas under discussion build towards the conclusion in a linear fashion. So effectively what you end up with is a step-by-step formula for emulating the aut
Jyri
Jul 05, 2011 Jyri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing about books like Running Lean is that they almost make me want to start a business of my own. Unfortunately I lack the push to take the leap. Luckily, I am working in consumer service development, so I can actually make use of the learnings from this book in my current work. And what is even more fortunate, I can actually affect the way my team works.

Running Lean is not actually a revelation, as I have been a fan of agile development for quite some time. Lean methods presented in this
Jim B.
Jul 28, 2013 Jim B. rated it really liked it

Probably one of the better trendy "Lean" books out these days. Despite being drawn from blog content, it's fairly well edited he did an excellent job porting his posts and talks to book format.

Stuff I liked:
- The author is a technical founder, so he knows how the sausage is made.

- To get your idea on paper, Ash Maurya created a "Lean Canvas" which is an adaptation of the Osterwalder Business Model Canvas. Maurya's canvas is much more down-to-earth and is a much better fit for any software start

Louis
Mar 16, 2013 Louis rated it really liked it
This is a book on starting a new enterprise, which actually does not necessarily have to be a formal startup. I can see its lessons in my current role as a professor, who is not in the standard tenure track. In many ways, because I have to be regularly answering the question of what my position is it sometimes falls into this. This book is helping me frame how I present myself and propose new projects, in particular trying to establish a long-term stable position for myself.

In particular, the id
Chiara Cokieng
Jan 01, 2015 Chiara Cokieng rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-again
I think this book changed my life. Yes, it's very step-by-step and actionable. Yes, it teaches you how to build a business from an idea (and even if you don't have a very clear idea). But most importantly, it teaches you how to think about building a business. Among the most important lessons -- customers first; you don't know shit at the beginning; how to ask good questions; why "would you buy this?" could be the worst question ever. A book to reread every year.
Karolina Ozadowicz
Aug 11, 2015 Karolina Ozadowicz rated it it was amazing
I believe that everything happens for a reason. I would never reach out for this book if I wouldn't have experiences of projects which don't work and fail. As Ash writes "Life is too short to build something nobody wants". If upon failing you still have energy and will to start something new and want to do everything you can to not repeat the old and well know story of running out of resources before "your baby" picks up, this book is a fantastic start!
Pranav Ghode
Jun 17, 2015 Pranav Ghode rated it it was amazing
Full marks to Ash for explaining Lean Startup concepts in a Lean and time saving manner. There is are no repeat explanations and long paragraphs. Perfectly explained. And the best part is the example which has been given. Examples make make is very easy to understand. If Ash could include some more successfully executed lean startup examples, it will really be the best book on Lean startup.
Matt
May 19, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: biz-reads
There's new material in the form of case studies and comparisons that build on what was addressed in the first book, that may help you adapt the Running Lean concepts to your business. This isn't a one-size-fits-all book, but it certainly does a nice job building on the concepts introduced by others like Ries and Osterwalder. Whether you're a small software startup or a small shop in the midst of a large corporation, Running Lean, 2nd Edition is a great model for thinking about new approaches to ...more
George Wang
Jun 06, 2013 George Wang rated it it was amazing
Recommended by Henri Shi from his VeloCity Campus "Lean Business Model" workshop.

I would label this book as a MUST READ for anyone trying to create a start-up or get started on a project.

The original "Lean Startup" book by Eric Ries introduces the theories behind the Lean Methodologies. It's interesting, but it leaves you not knowing exactly where to start.

This book, in contrast, is very detailed and practical. It shifts away from "what to think," towards "what to do."

Examples:

How to fill out a
Yuriy Gerasimov
Apr 02, 2015 Yuriy Gerasimov rated it it was amazing
Very nice book with a lot of practical recommendations. Main idea is that every step you take should be tested, measured and iterated over. I really enjoyed this book from both inspirational and practical standpoints. Highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about their startup. It really shows you how much work should be done to get anywhere close to success.
Fabricio
May 12, 2012 Fabricio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books
O livro apresenta uma boa base para aqueles que desejam iniciar sua Startup. O conceito do Lean de evitar desperdício é bastante focado bem como a exposição da metodologia de Hipótese-Validação. Isso tudo é apresentado dentro das três fases de uma Startup contando com exemplos do próprio autor.

Acredito que o livro exija um pouco mais de abstração para quem não for da área de software, apesar de ainda assim ser aplicável a outros tipos de empreendimentos.

A forma como são expostos os experimentos
Krvava Meri
Apr 14, 2015 Krvava Meri rated it really liked it
Shelves: podjetno
Ash Maurya je napisal odličen priročnik, ki uspešno združuje dve ideji, ki sta spremenili podjetniški svet. Eno je Riesovo vitko podjetništvo in drugi Osterwalderjev poslovni model Canvas. Njuni knjigi priporočam vsako posebej, ampak priporočam tudi Muaryajevo združitev obeh.

Running Lean ali Delaj vitko, kot zveni slovenski prevod, je res dodelan priročnik, ki podjetnika vodi po korakih do uspešne realizacije poslovne ideje. Temelji na stalnem preizkušanju ideje, dokler ne pride do poslovnega us
Matthew
Sep 03, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
This is the book I am currently reading to motivate me towards starting my own business. In it, Ash Maurya presents an excellent alternative to a long-winded business plan in the form of a "lean canvass", which is essentially a one-page business plan that can easily be manipulated and changed as one takes their idea from conception to market. The idea is to focus on interviewing customers (without selling them anything), then use their answers to build and introduce a product - thereby reducing ...more
Xiaoli Chen
Dec 08, 2015 Xiaoli Chen rated it really liked it
I'm lucky. The way we are running our startup is similar to what is described in the book. Thanks Ash for listing out all these important notes.

Anyway, we still need to implement the plan. This book helps design our plan and guide our actions.

Recommended.
Mochammad Kurnia
Apr 09, 2015 Mochammad Kurnia rated it it was amazing
It is brilliant. Ash put together the necessary materials to create the most of your early days of your startup. The concept of eliminating waste is what makes me continue to read until the last page.
Sakis Triantafyllakis
Jan 04, 2016 Sakis Triantafyllakis rated it it was amazing
Very clear examples and ways to track your progress and optimise all procedures in your company/startup. Attention to detail is vital in the business world and this book proves it!
Goodreads Librari...: Little help with a cleanup 3 23 Nov 15, 2013 01:42PM
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders (Adobe Reader)
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Agile Software Requirements: Lean Requirements Practices for Teams, Programs, and the Enterprise
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these
More about Ash Maurya...

“Life's too short to build something nobody wants.” 5 likes
“Customers don’t care about your solution. They care about their problems. —Dave McClure, 500 Startups” 3 likes