Start by marking “Sanctuary for a Lady” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary for a Lady

Sanctuary for a Lady

The injured young woman Michel Belanger finds in the woods is certainly an aristocrat. And in the midst of France's bloody revolution, sheltering nobility merits a trip to the guillotine. Yet despite the risk, Michel knows he must bring the wounded girl to his cottage to heal.

Attacked by soldiers and left for dead, Isabelle de La Rouchecauld has lost everything. A duke's d
Published April 3rd 2012 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary for a Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary for a Lady

Melissa
May 31, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-keeper-shelf
The characters had such powerful emotions, a powerful love, and such insurmountable odds against them being able to be together. I wondered how the author would pull it off, but she did. A great book.
Faye
Apr 09, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it
Hope shines against the backdrop of the bloody French Revolution.

Isabelle de La Rouchecauld flees Paris in hopes of escaping the indescribable war of terror being waged on the aristocrats amidst the turmoil of the French Revolution.

After being severely beaten by a group of soldiers, Isabelle is taken in by a handsome farmer, named Michel Belanger.

But when the threat of the Revolution draws nearer, will they be willing to sacrifice the past, in exchange for a chance at brighter future...togethe
Kav
Apr 21, 2012 Kav rated it it was amazing
It boggles this reader's mind that this is a debut novel. Rawlings writes like a seasoned pro. With the tight plot, impeccable characterization and enough emotional angst to water-log the Kleenex company, this is a romance lover's dream. Seriously good.

Love the unusual setting -- revolutionary France. There's a history lesson or two or three within the pages which I found to be a fascinating bonus. Kudos to Love Inspired for branching out from their norm and to Rawlings for inspiring them to do
Jessica Nelson
Apr 28, 2012 Jessica Nelson rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the writing in this story. Rawlings is an emotional writer and while the plot may have not been surprising for me personally, the writing was wonderful and so were the characters. You know if a book makes your heart clench or your eyes sting that there's something special there, in the writing. I also love, love, love the setting Rawlings has chosen. She wove historical details and information naturally into the story. The information was seamless and yet so very interesting. ...more
Jane
Apr 18, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
Would give it 4.5 Stars if I could
Ausjenny
May 12, 2012 Ausjenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, favorites
I was lucky to win this book in a contest and was really looking forward to reading the book. The story had in interested as this period in time is interesting. The book is set during the French Revolution. The revolution has been going on 5 years and the book starts with Isabelle trying to get away when she's attacked and left for dead. Michel finds her and nurses her back to health. Helping Isabelle could mean death for Michel and his family but he feels he has to help her. The book shows how ...more
Amada
Aug 03, 2015 Amada rated it it was amazing
Such a great book!!! I am SO happy that I got to read this book! God is so good! I never knew I wanted to read Sanctuary for a Lady, but it showed up in the mail along with a book I had won! I didn't know it was coming, I didn't know I would like it, and since this is her first published book I hadn't read anything from Naomi before! All I knew is that it had an intriguing book description! I was wonderfully surprised!!! From the start it was very deep and yet there were things that made me ...more
Jane
Jun 15, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
I don't know if I've read any other book by this author but I sure will. A book that draws you into the French Revolution and how it would affect a family in more than one way.
Isabelle is an Aristocrat hated by the peasants. The destinction of the classes comes through. The poor blame the rich. The rich abuse the poor. But yet a child cannot be blamed for what class they were born into.
Isabelle was running for her life when beaten and left for dead in the woods. This is where Michel finds her.
Jessica Snell
Mar 20, 2012 Jessica Snell rated it really liked it
Being a terrible person, I always flip through new books before I read them, risking spoilers and disappointment. But when I got Naomi Rawling's new book, "Sanctuary for a Lady", the first thing I stumbled across was this exchange:

"Why do you keep trying to kiss me?"
"I'm not trying to kiss you. I'm . . ." What? Trying not to kiss her?

That made me laugh out loud and go back to the beginning of the book in order to start the story, hopeful for good things.

And I wasn't disappointed: the story is fu
Christine Lindsay
Apr 10, 2012 Christine Lindsay rated it it was amazing
The Love Inspired line of Harlequin Romance has just found an awesome new author to add to their ranks.

I read Sanctuary for a Lady by Naomi Rawlings in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down. And believe me, I had plenty to do.

This beautifully written historical romance is set in the era of the French Revolution so the drama is vividly real. Isabelle de La Rouchecauld, the daughter of a French Duke, is in danger of losing her life to the guillotine if farmer, Michel Belanger, doesn’t hide her in
Crystal Memmott
Apr 11, 2013 Crystal Memmott rated it really liked it
Naomi Rawlings book, Sanctuary for a Lady, is a well-written, compelling, historical romance. Set during the French Revolution this story shares inspirational messages of faith, hope, strength, determination, and love. It reminds us of God's love for everyone...no matter their station in life or bad decisions previously made. Sanctuary for a Lady is a story about the power of forgiveness and its importance in our lives.

Naomi presented realistic characters, lush settings, and great details while
Debbie Lynne
Apr 01, 2012 Debbie Lynne rated it it was amazing
Wow! I just finished Naomi Rawling's debut novel, Sanctuary for a Lady, and have to say it was terrific. Half way through the book I found myself saying, "I can't believe this is a debut novel." Rawling's delves deep into both the hero and heroines inner most emotions and brings them alive. Isabelle and Michel are well rounded flawed characters that have been carefully fleshed out. Rawlings knows how to make you fall in love with her characters. There is no sagging middle in this book, the ...more
Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance
Isabelle de La Rouchecauld has lost everything due to the French Revolution. Her only hope of a new life is to reach England. Michel Belanger discovers Isabelle in the woods near his home. Injured and alone he knows he has to try and save her. However if anyone discovers that Michel is hiding an aristocrat they will both be sent to the guillotine. As Isabelle starts to recover her strength she finds herself drawn to Michel. Can the two find love and safety in the midist of the revolution?

I reall
Melinda
May 14, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it! The story was great, the writing was great, I LOVED the characters!! The only problem I had with it was that, and I know that inspiration fiction has to be nondenominational (at the sacrifice of historical accuracy?), but as a Catholic it's hard for me to imagine to French characters who talk to a priest in the book just asking God for forgiveness and moving on...you would want to go to Confession and hear the absolution from the priest--I can't explain the necessity, ...more
MariaFernanda
Jul 26, 2012 MariaFernanda rated it it was amazing
AMAZING book!

I started it late last night and just finished it!!

The characters were soo endearing, yet realistic... the plot VERY INTENSE and unpredictable.
The messages of love and forgiveness were very moving...

For a first book, Naomi Rawlings really did well! I have very high expectations!!!

I cannot wait for another book!!!

Maybe a sequel about Jean Paul and Marie?!?!

I really must have this book!!
Katelyn
Jul 03, 2012 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Wow. Heart-stopping. Breath-taking. Full of twists and turns. My life will never be normal again after reading this book. There were parts in this book where I literally stopped breathing. I loved it. I could not put it down until I finished. I paced the house while reading. Why is this not a best-seller?!?!?
Amy
Sep 05, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: unreadowned, owned
Love it when there is a change of storyline and setting for these type of books. This one also has a good twist that I did not see coming.
Nice Christian message of forgiveness that I imagine would apply to people who don't believe the bible as well.
Brittany
Apr 15, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
With well developed, complex characters, a strong plot, beautiful setting, plenty of romantic tension and let's not forget a few twists, this book is a must read for any fan of love inspired historical romances.
Beata
Nov 26, 2013 Beata rated it really liked it
What a beautiful, sweet, romantic historical romance! What a beautiful Christian message! I've learnt some stuff about the French revolution along the story as well. I am looking forward to reading more books by Naomi Rawlings!
V.
May 21, 2013 V. rated it it was amazing
If you liked Les Miserables, you will like this book! A very descriptive and well research historical romance, set in the time period of the French Revolution.
Nancy
Jun 14, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful book that hinted of The Good Samaritan while in a setting during the French Revolution.
Regina
Mar 05, 2015 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great debut novel

I love historical novels, this one hit the love factor higher! Naomi Rowlings is an author to keep an eye on!
Wendy Sparkes
Amid the terror of the French Revolution, an aristocrat and a peasant discover the power of God's forgiveness and love.
Donna
Jul 18, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
This is the 1st book in a set of 2. I highly recommend reading this one first. This first book can also be read as a stand-alone story.
The 2nd book is called 'The Soldier's Secrets'.
Susan Treat
Susan Treat rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2014
Rolando E.
Rolando E. rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Tomilola
Tomilola rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2013
Amber Stokes
Amber Stokes rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
PWRL
Feb 05, 2016 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2015-new
E
Melani
Melani rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Doctor's Mission
  • Highland Hearts
  • The Marshal's Promise
  • The Rogue's Reform
  • The Reluctant Outlaw (Smoky Mountain Matches, #1)
  • Love on the Range
  • The Cowboy Tutor (Three Brides for Three Cowboys, #1)
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • A Baby Between Them (Irish Brides, #3)
  • Dangerous Allies (WWII, #1)
  • The Aristocrat's Lady
  • A Proper Companion (Ladies in Waiting, #1)
  • Brides of the West: Josie's Wedding Dress\Last Minute Bride\Her Ideal Husband
  • Groom Wanted (Bowen, #3)
  • The Wedding Journey (Irish Brides, # 1)
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • The Duke's Redemption