Start by marking “Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories (Abe Sapien, #2)” as Want to Read:
Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories (Abe Sapien, #2)

Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories (Abe Sapien #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Paranormal crime scenes wreak havoc on Abe Sapien as he investigates a recluse demonologist's evil house, a haunted lake, and a sunken Soviet U-boat filled with zombies!
Abe gets his hands dirty in these early adventures!
Collects The Haunted Boy, The Abyssal Plain #1-2 and The Devil Does Not Jest #1-2.
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published May 9th 2012 by Dark Horse (first published April 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Sapien, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Sapien, Vol. 2

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
323rd out of 463 books — 750 voters
Hellboy, Vol. 5 by Mike MignolaHellboy, Vol. 11 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 6 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 5 by Mike MignolaHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike Mignola
Mike Mignola's Hellboy / B.P.R.D. Reading Guide
42nd out of 45 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
A solid collection, with three stories. The first, and shortest, has Abe investigating a haunting that's more than it seems. The best of the lot, mostly for how the story is resolved. The second story introduces Iosif, who will eventually show up in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Russia. I wish I'd read this collection first, because I think the added background would have been useful. I suppose this would be the weakest of the lot, but it does have a strong ending. The last story is the most classic H ...more
Jessica at Book Sake
I won’t lie. Mike Mignola is one of my favorite comic writers. Hellboy and BPRD are great comics. It’s full of supernatural fun. Abe Sapien falls right in line.

I think the best part about Mignola’s stories is that he can tell these epic, end of world stories but still make it all seem like personal struggles. These stories aren't of some chiseled, pretty boy with golden locks flowing as he saves the world and gets the girl. These stories are about people who don’t know what they are or what thei
Sam Quixote
Mike Mignola returns to pen the second volume in Abe’s solo series “The Devil Does Not Jest”, but unlike the first book “The Drowning” which had a single story arc, this book is a collection of 3 short stories. The stories are: “The Haunted Boy”, “The Abyssal Plain”, and “The Devil Does Not Jest”.

Besides the fact that Abe is the main character in each story, these could easily be another BPRD volume. There’s no distinction in storyline like the first book that made you think Abe was setting off
Baal Of
really good collection of early Abe Sapien stories. The middle one was my favorite, since it departed from the usual "find the monster and beat it" story line. The art work on the first was not as good as on the other two. I did find it amusing on the last story that Hellboy was brought in mostly to just deliver a closing line.
Orrin Grey
I've been saying this more often about Mignola-related books than makes me comfortable lately, but: not a fan. None of the art really grabbed me, except for some of the stuff by James Harren in the title story. (Which, admittedly, had a couple of really amazing reveals, including the giant demon in the floor and the first appearance of the "Momster.") Really, the title story is really the only thing in the book that did much for me at all, and even that felt a little spottier than I'm used to.

It
James
A nice anthology-style offering starring Abe Sapien, fish-man, Hellboy buddy and sometime leader of the B.P.R.D. field team.

There are three stories here, and the lead offering, "The Haunted Boy," is the weakest in the volume. It involves a drowning and supernatural possession, and Abe basically lucks his way to a win in true Hellboy style. Patric Reynolds does the art, and I much prefer his monsters to his humans. Unfortunately, this story has a lot of blocky human faces in close up.

The second
Matthew Brady
More Hellboy-style adventures for Abe, with him meeting various monsters and/or demons, which is all nice enough, but nothing mindblowing. There's a pretty good story illustrated by Peter Snejbjerg that introduces the character of Iosif, who would go on to lead the Russian SSS, which is their version of the BPRD. He's just a bloated corpse here though, which is gross but memorable. There's also a striking story about a demon and some monsters that's illustrated by James Harren in his first work ...more
Joseph R.
One of the popular secondary characters in the Hellboy universe is Abe Sapien, a fish man who resembles the Creature from the Black Lagoon. He's been a regular partner with Hellboy in many adventures and also has had some solo adventures investigating paranormal happenings. This collection has three of the fish man's outings.

The first story is The Lost Boy. Two boys fell underneath the ice of a Vermont lake. Only one came back out. The lake is subsequently haunted by the boy's spirit. Abe Sapien
Andy Shuping
ARC provided by NetGalley

In the Hellboy universe Abe has always been my favorite character. I find him easier to relate to compared to the other characters, in part because he’s a bit more intellectual and he acts more like I would, thinking first before leaping into situations. So it’s nice to see him getting a volume that is solely dedicated to him (the first since 2008.) In this collection of stories Abe investigates a haunted lake, a sunken U-boat containing a dark surprise, and a reclusive
Ravwrin
Unbelievable.... I must say I was excited when I was able to get this on Netgalley. I stopped reading everything else to read this! I must stay I wasn't disappointed.

I was enthralled with all of the stories in this volume and couldn't put it down, at all. Each was engaging and dynamic with the action. Abe's cool demeanor though is refreshing. He is wonderfully logical and though he may lose it every once in a while it's well deserved.

I love the artwork though children creep me out a little and
Federiken Masters
Oct 21, 2014 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abes
Recommended to Federiken by: Sapiens
Mejor que el tomo 1, y hasta diría que mejor que muchos tomos de Hellboy. Le faltaron cinco pal doblón, pero sin duda m e derjaron con ganas de más Abe Sapien, sobre todo si el nivel medio de dibujantes se mantiene tan alto como hasta ahora.
sixthreezy
The series began with a really strong story that took the whole volume, so I was a little concerned to see that already in the second volume it has broken into one story and "others". A lot of these type volumes weren't my favorites in the B.P.R.D. series, but this one blew me away. The covers for each of the stories were amazing and had a really cool movie poster look to them. Also, the stories were definitely on the horror side of this universe, and I always appreciate those. The Devil Does No ...more
Craig
This volume introduces Agent Tasso (reminiscent of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE's Peter Lupus), whom I hope to see more of, and serves as counterpoint to Abe's character and experience. The duo is an interesting one, and is not wrapped in darkness and angst like so many of the relationships in the BPRD.

The art, three different artists with three different styles, is amazing. Any new Snejbjerg art is always welcomed. And even if these are not largely memorable stories, they're free-standing/ continuity-l
Angela
I loved these stories: well written, drawn, a little more grotesque, and entertaining.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Ben
Two more great solo adventures as we learn a bit more about who Abe is and what he's about. Framed in some interesting investigations that seemed to be more reminiscent of the Xfiles more than anything else, Abe shows off the way he handles these kinds of things that seem to include an altogether fewer instances of punching things in the face as Hellboy is apt to do. Two sides of the coin, nice to see a character take damage from being slapped around as well.

Will prolly check out future Abe sol
Michael Larson
I've sung Mike Mignola's praises many times before in my reviews of his other books, and I think this collection maintains the consistent quality of his work, as well as proving that the Hellboy universe is a near-endless font of all manner of stories and beasts.

The title here is appropriate as these stories are more sombre- I quite liked this, though, as I think there's room in this world for the wilder, crazier adventures of Hellboy himself, and the more melancholy tales on display here.
Cale
The one problem with these BPRD and other Hellboy offshoots is chronology - it's very hard to get them in order, and it's not clear in many cases what the order should be. This book, for example, takes stories from across Abe's career, both before he was a field agent and late in his career. They're enjoyable stories on their own, but they're supporting a larger mythology that seems to be fascinating, but ends up being frustrating in its unfriendliness to readers.
Michael
Der Band enthält drei Ghost-Stories, die erste sehr kurz, die beiden folgenden je etwas länger. Die Handlung der Stories hat mich nicht mitgerissen, ich hätte mir deutlich mehr Einfallsreichtum gewünscht. Je kürzer die Geschichte, um so überraschender muss der Twist sein, damit man von einer gelungenen Kurzgeschichte sprechen kann. Die Artwork ist dafür recht gelungen und eigenständig.
Alan
Abe is best known as Hellboy's best buddy, but is a highly valued member of the BRPD in his own right. This collection of shorts shows how Abe is often more human and compassionate that the humans who surround him. The tale of the Soviet sub, its ancient talisman that it was transporting before sinking, and the man entrusted to guard it was kind of touching.
Charlotte
Worth getting just for James Harren's story and art (well, art. He didn't write the story. But the story he provided the art for was great). Magnificent. Sadly the other stories pale in comparison.
Matthew
This is more like it! These stories go back to what brought me to Mike Mignola in the first place --ghost stories. I just wish he would pencil more of his stories.
Matt
Such creepy, fun stuff. I especially loved...oh, wait, all of it. It was all so wonderfully weird, and the art really helped to sell it.
Sonic
Fun horror with lots of action.
Some of the artwork is a little shaky
but for the most part, pretty damn good!
Ravenhats
As amazing as ever Mignola once again puts out a top of the line supernatural action comic.
Mike
Fandamntatic.
  • Hellboy: Oddest Jobs
  • Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
  • The Dark Horse Book of the Dead (The Dark Horse Book of..., #3)
  • Prophet, Volume 1: Remission
  • Axe Cop Vol. 3
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Abe Sapien (6 books)
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 1: The Drowning (Abe Sapien, #1)
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 3: Dark & Terrible & the New Race of Man
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 4: The Shape of Things to Come
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 5: Sacred Places
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 6: A Darkness So Great
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)