Start by marking “Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories (Abe Sapien, #2)” as Want to Read:
Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories (Abe Sapien, #2)

Abe Sapien, Vol. 2: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories (Abe Sapien #2)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  464 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Paranormal crime scenes wreak havoc on Abe Sapien as he investigates a recluse demonologist's evil house, a haunted lake, and a sunken Soviet U-boat filled with zombies!
Abe gets his hands dirty in these early adventures!
Collects The Haunted Boy, The Abyssal Plain #1-2 and The Devil Does Not Jest #1-2.
Paperback, First Edition, 144 pages
Published May 9th 2012 by Dark Horse (first published April 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Abe Sapien, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abe Sapien, Vol. 2

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
342nd out of 530 books — 801 voters
Hellboy, Vol. 5 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 5 by Mike MignolaB.P.R.D., Vol. 6 by Mike MignolaHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike MignolaHellboy, Vol. 3 by Mike Mignola
Mike Mignola's Hellboy / B.P.R.D. Reading Guide
45th out of 47 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Jan 26, 2014 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, comics
A solid collection, with three stories. The first, and shortest, has Abe investigating a haunting that's more than it seems. The best of the lot, mostly for how the story is resolved. The second story introduces Iosif, who will eventually show up in B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: Russia. I wish I'd read this collection first, because I think the added background would have been useful. I suppose this would be the weakest of the lot, but it does have a strong ending. The last story is the most classic H ...more
Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
This volume collects two two-part stories, 'The Abyssal Plain' and 'The Devil Does Not Jest', along with 'The Haunted Boy' one-shot.

I really enjoyed all these stories and they make for a really nice collection. If you're looking for an introduction to Abe Sapien's solo career, you could do worse than to give this book a try. It's genuinely creepy at times and in most cases things are not as they initially appear. It's a lot of fun and the artwork's pretty good, too.
Sam Quixote
May 06, 2013 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
Mike Mignola returns to pen the second volume in Abe’s solo series “The Devil Does Not Jest”, but unlike the first book “The Drowning” which had a single story arc, this book is a collection of 3 short stories. The stories are: “The Haunted Boy”, “The Abyssal Plain”, and “The Devil Does Not Jest”.

Besides the fact that Abe is the main character in each story, these could easily be another BPRD volume. There’s no distinction in storyline like the first book that made you think Abe was setting off
Jessica at Book Sake
Apr 26, 2012 Jessica at Book Sake rated it really liked it
I won’t lie. Mike Mignola is one of my favorite comic writers. Hellboy and BPRD are great comics. It’s full of supernatural fun. Abe Sapien falls right in line.

I think the best part about Mignola’s stories is that he can tell these epic, end of world stories but still make it all seem like personal struggles. These stories aren't of some chiseled, pretty boy with golden locks flowing as he saves the world and gets the girl. These stories are about people who don’t know what they are or what thei
Baal Of
Jan 04, 2015 Baal Of rated it really liked it
really good collection of early Abe Sapien stories. The middle one was my favorite, since it departed from the usual "find the monster and beat it" story line. The art work on the first was not as good as on the other two. I did find it amusing on the last story that Hellboy was brought in mostly to just deliver a closing line.
Tara
May 20, 2016 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I didn't know that there was an off-shoot to he Hellboy series starring Abe Sapien, the fish guy. I enjoyed this volume, and I'll have to keep an eye out for them for my own collection.
Orrin Grey
May 10, 2012 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola
I've been saying this more often about Mignola-related books than makes me comfortable lately, but: not a fan. None of the art really grabbed me, except for some of the stuff by James Harren in the title story. (Which, admittedly, had a couple of really amazing reveals, including the giant demon in the floor and the first appearance of the "Momster.") Really, the title story is really the only thing in the book that did much for me at all, and even that felt a little spottier than I'm used to.

It
James
Oct 12, 2014 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A nice anthology-style offering starring Abe Sapien, fish-man, Hellboy buddy and sometime leader of the B.P.R.D. field team.

There are three stories here, and the lead offering, "The Haunted Boy," is the weakest in the volume. It involves a drowning and supernatural possession, and Abe basically lucks his way to a win in true Hellboy style. Patric Reynolds does the art, and I much prefer his monsters to his humans. Unfortunately, this story has a lot of blocky human faces in close up.

The second
Canavan
Mar 09, 2015 Canavan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Brady
May 27, 2014 Matthew Brady rated it liked it
More Hellboy-style adventures for Abe, with him meeting various monsters and/or demons, which is all nice enough, but nothing mindblowing. There's a pretty good story illustrated by Peter Snejbjerg that introduces the character of Iosif, who would go on to lead the Russian SSS, which is their version of the BPRD. He's just a bloated corpse here though, which is gross but memorable. There's also a striking story about a demon and some monsters that's illustrated by James Harren in his first work ...more
Wing Kee
Sep 27, 2015 Wing Kee rated it it was amazing
Holy shit! This trade should not be called "The Devil Does Not Jest", it should be called "Abe Does Not Jest"!

Man o man Abe is a wonderful character, not only because of what his story is in the BPRD but in these standalone tales we finally get a glimpse of the character he when he works alone and he gets all the time to develop. This trade is awesome!

World: All 3 artists for this trade are wonderful, each brings something a bit different to the table for Abe, Harren brings a creepiness and horr
Joseph R.
One of the popular secondary characters in the Hellboy universe is Abe Sapien, a fish man who resembles the Creature from the Black Lagoon. He's been a regular partner with Hellboy in many adventures and also has had some solo adventures investigating paranormal happenings. This collection has three of the fish man's outings.

The first story is The Lost Boy. Two boys fell underneath the ice of a Vermont lake. Only one came back out. The lake is subsequently haunted by the boy's spirit. Abe Sapien
Andy Shuping
Apr 24, 2012 Andy Shuping rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
ARC provided by NetGalley

In the Hellboy universe Abe has always been my favorite character. I find him easier to relate to compared to the other characters, in part because he’s a bit more intellectual and he acts more like I would, thinking first before leaping into situations. So it’s nice to see him getting a volume that is solely dedicated to him (the first since 2008.) In this collection of stories Abe investigates a haunted lake, a sunken U-boat containing a dark surprise, and a reclusive
Mel
Feb 21, 2016 Mel rated it really liked it
Another really great collection of stories with Abe as the central character. A boy who survived while his friend drowned in the lake, a nazi occult treasure left on a submarine for decades and a house hanted by an occult practioner (which was the least memorable). A nice spooky collection of stories. Very much the world of Hellboy but without Hellboy around to beat everything into submission to resolve the storyline. I'm definitely going to keep reading the series.
Ravwrin
Mar 27, 2012 Ravwrin rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable.... I must say I was excited when I was able to get this on Netgalley. I stopped reading everything else to read this! I must stay I wasn't disappointed.

I was enthralled with all of the stories in this volume and couldn't put it down, at all. Each was engaging and dynamic with the action. Abe's cool demeanor though is refreshing. He is wonderfully logical and though he may lose it every once in a while it's well deserved.

I love the artwork though children creep me out a little and
J
Feb 08, 2016 J rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The issues I had with Abe Sapien as a character are largely done away with in this volume and he seems to have settled into being a much more confident character and less in the shadow of Hellboy. As the storylines go forward in B.P.R.D., that's definitely a good thing.
Feather Mista
Oct 21, 2014 Feather Mista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Abes
Recommended to Feather by: Sapiens
Mejor que el tomo 1, y hasta diría que mejor que muchos tomos de Hellboy. Le faltaron cinco pal doblón, pero sin duda m e derjaron con ganas de más Abe Sapien, sobre todo si el nivel medio de dibujantes se mantiene tan alto como hasta ahora.
Kate Sherrod
Nov 20, 2015 Kate Sherrod rated it really liked it
I like Abe. A lot. I think he could be cooler than Hellboy. But his solo stories haven't quite wowed me yet. Good, but not great.
sixthreezy
Nov 18, 2014 sixthreezy rated it it was amazing
The series began with a really strong story that took the whole volume, so I was a little concerned to see that already in the second volume it has broken into one story and "others". A lot of these type volumes weren't my favorites in the B.P.R.D. series, but this one blew me away. The covers for each of the stories were amazing and had a really cool movie poster look to them. Also, the stories were definitely on the horror side of this universe, and I always appreciate those. The Devil Does No ...more
Craig
Oct 03, 2012 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume introduces Agent Tasso (reminiscent of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE's Peter Lupus), whom I hope to see more of, and serves as counterpoint to Abe's character and experience. The duo is an interesting one, and is not wrapped in darkness and angst like so many of the relationships in the BPRD.

The art, three different artists with three different styles, is amazing. Any new Snejbjerg art is always welcomed. And even if these are not largely memorable stories, they're free-standing/ continuity-l
Jeb
Dec 16, 2015 Jeb rated it liked it
Kind of a mixed bag, especially compared to The Drowning. Entertaining enough, but definitely second tier Mignolaverse.
Rodolfo
Jun 20, 2016 Rodolfo rated it really liked it
Three creepy, dark short adventures featuring the capabilities of Agent Sapien. Very much in keeping with the tone and style of Mignola's other HB stories.
Angela
Sep 03, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014
I loved these stories: well written, drawn, a little more grotesque, and entertaining.
Mii
Jul 04, 2014 Mii rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Julie
Nov 08, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
That James Harren story!!
Ben
Aug 11, 2012 Ben rated it it was amazing
Two more great solo adventures as we learn a bit more about who Abe is and what he's about. Framed in some interesting investigations that seemed to be more reminiscent of the Xfiles more than anything else, Abe shows off the way he handles these kinds of things that seem to include an altogether fewer instances of punching things in the face as Hellboy is apt to do. Two sides of the coin, nice to see a character take damage from being slapped around as well.

Will prolly check out future Abe sol
Kyle Burley
Feb 29, 2016 Kyle Burley rated it liked it
Michael Larson
Nov 24, 2012 Michael Larson rated it really liked it
I've sung Mike Mignola's praises many times before in my reviews of his other books, and I think this collection maintains the consistent quality of his work, as well as proving that the Hellboy universe is a near-endless font of all manner of stories and beasts.

The title here is appropriate as these stories are more sombre- I quite liked this, though, as I think there's room in this world for the wilder, crazier adventures of Hellboy himself, and the more melancholy tales on display here.
Cale
Aug 07, 2012 Cale rated it liked it
The one problem with these BPRD and other Hellboy offshoots is chronology - it's very hard to get them in order, and it's not clear in many cases what the order should be. This book, for example, takes stories from across Abe's career, both before he was a field agent and late in his career. They're enjoyable stories on their own, but they're supporting a larger mythology that seems to be fascinating, but ends up being frustrating in its unfriendliness to readers.
Michael
Mar 12, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Der Band enthält drei Ghost-Stories, die erste sehr kurz, die beiden folgenden je etwas länger. Die Handlung der Stories hat mich nicht mitgerissen, ich hätte mir deutlich mehr Einfallsreichtum gewünscht. Je kürzer die Geschichte, um so überraschender muss der Twist sein, damit man von einer gelungenen Kurzgeschichte sprechen kann. Die Artwork ist dafür recht gelungen und eigenständig.
  • Sir Edward Grey, Witchfinder, Vol. 3: The Mysteries of Unland
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 4: A Town Called Penance
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 3
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Prophet, Volume 1: Remission
  • Fran
  • The Stuff of Legend, Omnibus One
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Abe Sapien (8 books)
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 1: The Drowning (Abe Sapien, #1)
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 3: Dark & Terrible & the New Race of Man
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 4: The Shape of Things to Come
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 5: Sacred Places
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 6: A Darkness So Great
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 7: The Secret Fire
  • Abe Sapien, Vol. 8: The Desolate Shore (Abe Sapien #8)