Start by marking “HELPER12” as Want to Read:
HELPER12

HELPER12

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Helper12 works as a Baby Helper in Pre Ward, the place where babies spend their first six months of life before they’re tracked for vocations and sent to training. She does her job well, and she stays out of trouble. But one day, the Sloanes, Society members who enjoy all the privileges of their station—family unit clearance, a private dwelling, access to good food and goo ...more
ebook
Published November 14th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about HELPER12, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HELPER12

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerEvermore by Alyson NoelBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerFallen by Lauren KateMarked by P.C. Cast
Worst YA Books
130th out of 378 books — 404 voters
Alien Species Intervention Books 1-3 by J.K. AccinniIt Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyBlack Redneck vs. Space Zombies by Steven  RoyHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best SciFi/Fantasy Books
88th out of 133 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Helper 12 had a very interesting dystopian premise - a little bit Handmaid's Tale, a little bit The Giver. Unfortunately, the book did not live up to the initial promise. I had several issues with it.

First, the editing and consistency in this book was AWFUL. Here's a prime example. In Chapter 11, this exchange occurs between Helper12 and Thomas.

Helper12: I do. Your mo- Ms. Sloane, she wants Jobee with her at meals. I assumed you would prefer your privacy, Sir.

Thomas: You assumed incorrectly. Jo
Abigail.Myranda
I didn't like it. First, it was way too short, I read it in a matter of hours (fyi, I am a fast reader, but not that fast.). Second, it moved too fast, I felt like it was under developed. Third, I went into it thinking I was going to read a destopian novel, but I came out having read a teen romance, which are okay usually but this one was completely boring. Fourth, I didn't like her callousness to the physical part of their relationship. *Not a spoiler* Like here's a quote that drove me nuts. "H ...more
Cass
I am starting a new category "rom-topian" for all the dystopian/utopian novels that are no more than an interesting idea wrapped up in a youthful romance.

Typically a "rom-topian" novel will work like this. Society has changed so that social classes are law. A compliant-but-still-strong girl winds up in the lower classes. A handsome/obnoxious-but-shows-promise boy from the upper classes falls in love with her and rescues her. More "rom-topian" points if a baby is involved.

This particular attemp
Christy Raedeke
Great dystopian adventure! The society in Helper12 seems frighteningly imaginable and the world-building is great; I had no trouble picturing what the place Helper12 is from was like. The novel is a page-turner, and totally held my interest. There were great bits of sizzle between the couple (if you know what I mean) and I really loved their relationship.

I'd read a short story by Blaine that I'd really enjoyed, so I was anxious to read his novel. Loved it and am looking forward to the next one!
Erika
3.5/5

Jack Blaine paints a picture of a very unjust world in the near future, where people are either tracked to certain jobs when they are toddlers or belong to society where they have the freedom of leisure, of love, family, and more. The tracked are given names such as Helper12, Helper29, Driver, etc., are required to wear short haircuts no longer than a few inches, live in single bed rooms, not allowed to have families, only taught enough information to learn their job tasks, and are tattoed
Literary
To be honest, when I first agreed to read this book I didn't expect to enjoy it very much. The setting and feel of the story is dystopian. There's a place where babies are bred for the menial, out-of-sight jobs that benefit Society members. Those jobs include picking up the city's garbage, laborers, thinkers, etc. Society members are affluent people who are born to the position. A person cannot go from being a part of the system to a part of Society ... legally, anyway.

Once you strip away the dy
Psylk
Helper12 is a great dystopian book. The premise is in the same vein as The Handmaid's Tale. Your entire life is planned out for you from birth. Where you live, your occupation, your haircut, even your love life (or lack there of).
Helper12 is a baby helper. Her job is to care for the newborn babies. That is untill a rich family comes to nursery and her whole life changes in the blink of an eye.

It was a great book. It kept me interested start to finish and I found the world building, while not pe
Mariana
didn't like it, very choppy and the theme didn't go very deep, it stayed on feelings
It's the story of Benna and how with the help of Thomas she is able to discover that she can be valuable for who she is and not by her status, she faces the opportunity to escape with Jobee, the adopted kid of the Sloane family and she ends up going to a true home where she lives with Thomas happily ever after. Even in a dystopian culture, let's face it, life is no t like that, because people are not like that, u
Julia
This book had such a great potential. The details of the book were clever and spot-on. Blaine's imagery was absolutely stunning, his characters perfectly envisioned. Unfortunately, the fantastic plot line was given an ineffective delivery that the prose couldn't save.

Read the five flaws that prevented HELPER12 from reaching its full potential here.
Shannon Lewis
Whitney
Interesting premise, but the editor did a poor job recognizing the inconsistencies in the storyline. Also, the characters didn't seem to have any struggles. There was a hint of trouble brewing but it just never happened. And it was way too short.
Brooke
For I book I bought for 99 cents this was an amazing read. I usually like dystopian books, even if I'm super iffy going to them. I don't want to get too into this book, but I really loved it.
Emmanuelle
This was a really enjoyable book. Unlike almost every other dystopian book, the author doesn't spend time divulging many details of how the world and government operates. The story is told from Helper12's POV and the story is a growing experience for us and her. This perspective worked really well because I was right there in the story with her and just as shocked and appalled as she was when she learned details and truths about her upbringing.

While the plot is very simple, it was a breath of fr
Alex
At First Glance:
Helper 12 - or Benna as her name turns out to be - works as a BabyHelper in the Pre-Ward, where the babies spend the first few months of their lives, before being assigned to different jobs and raised to serve that purpose. Her life is hard: she works long hours, has basically not rights, and lives in a rundown apartment complex yet is basically as helpers like her have no right to form families and such.

Yet, Benna takes comfort in three things: her friendship with a fellow bab
Cory Dawn
there was some flaws in the story. Parts where Helper12 was clearly thinking, then later in the book Thomas had known as if she had said them. Then when she had first called the baby by the name she had given and not the one the new family has given he didn't say anything along the lines of "WTF?" but then later it was a "new" topic that had never been mentioned before. Not to mention the baby growth development timeline was way off, and jumped back and forth in ages, and huge age gaps of months ...more
Pam
Helper12 works in the baby ward. She monitors and cares for babies newborn through 4 months. One night a family unit, the Sloanes, walk in with the director and walks out with a baby and helper12 as it’s nanny. Both have been sold to this “family” and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
This is a world where there is “society” (and they have enough money to do whatever they want) and there are “helpers” (workers with virtually no life outside their work and are disposable). The helpers are t
TC
I haven't read a lot of dystopian books but enjoy the dark glimpses of the future and the hope that is still to be found regardless in the ones I have read. That's why this book appealed to me and made it onto my TBR list.

HELPER12 is a baby helper, taking care of little ones up to the age of 6 mths. Once they get to that age they are tracked and their future is determined by what vocation they are given. Will they be a Thinker, a Breeder, a Leisure Doll or one of many other designations? HELPER1
Sandra "Jeanz"

MY REVIEW

Firstly I should point out that I read this in just the one sitting! it was silly O'Clock at night when I finally finished it and put it down. I had to know what happened. It is so well written, you are hooked into the book almost straight away.
The book is literally Helper12 and Baby4's tale, how a rich society lady can just waltz in and choose her child. In this society money buys you anything your heart desires and this woman desires a new son. Mrs Slone has two sons, Thomas and Grego
Karenw
In Helper 12 by Jack Blaine, the reader is immersed in a dystopian culture where babies' vocations are chosen for them at birth, where only the rich are able to lead a life of freedom, and where doing anything outside your designated assigned vocation can lead to being sent to a labor camp, or worse. Helper 12 is a young woman whose purpose, decided by the government, is to care for babies for the first months of their life. A rich couple comes to the hospital and buys one of her charges (illega ...more
I wish I checked the length before buying this book. I assumed it was a moderately-sized book with 300-500 pages; but after reading the sample, loving it, and buying the whole book, I discovered it was only about 150 pages. At first, I thought I had accidentally bought an elementary-grade reading book; however, upon reading it, I noticed some of the content is definately not elementary-grade material. It is just a short novella-type book. I found this especially disappointing because it's almost ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Short, somewhat different take on the typical dystopia. Benna is a Helper, a person who cares for infants in a dystopian society where you are tracked for a career at birth if you are the proletarian class, and you live under pain of death if you do something as simple as draw for a hobby. One day a rich upper class woman decides to "buy" one of the tracked babies for some unknown reason, and she also gets Benna in the deal.

It's a different take because there is no fighting against a corrupt go
Ellie [The Empress]
Jan 10, 2014 Ellie [The Empress] rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Ellie [The Empress] by: found it on Goodreads
My edition: Audiobook

A short YA Dystopian [not really] novella, set in a world were people are designated to a specific work and they die doing it, living a lonely and deprived life. In this world we read the "adventures" of a young girl - Helper 12 - and her journey ... well not even in life.

The whole novel is taking place in only a few months set apart and the protagonists emotions are stated out, rather then incorporated into to the plot. While I see why the story would appeal to the young r
Bonnie Lamer
Helper12’s life has been laid out for her since she was born. She was tracked as a baby helper and she was given just enough education to be able to do her job. As long as she did her job well and didn’t break any of the numerous rules society has set on her social class, she could go home every night to her monitored cube in a sub-standard housing community. At least, she could until she was sold to the Sloanes.
Reminiscent of Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World and Margaret Atwood’s A Handmaid’s ta
Tez
Eighteen-year-old Helper12 works as a Baby Helper, taking care of babies until they reach six months of age, and move elsewhere. After witnessing an illegal adoption, the new parents purchase Helper12 to work as a Nanny, even though she's not qualified.

The wealthy Sloanes aren't as interested in their new child as they should be. The couple ships off on vacation, leaving Helper12 with the baby, a domestic Helper, and Driver. Thomas Sloane, the couple's biological son, also stays at the mansion.

T
Julianne
Mar 03, 2012 Julianne rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This is one of the most disappointing books I've read in awhile. The plot was predictable and anti-climactic. The character development was almost non-existent. It was an interesting enough premise but it wasn't developed or executed successfully. There were several plot inconsistencies as well. At least it was a quick read and was on sale through Amazon so my time and money weren't wasted as much as they could have been.

Honesty, I'm not even sure how this book got published. The author and edit
Tamara
The premise of this story was a good one but the execution was lacking. The was no tension during the final escape and everything was just accomplished a bit too neatly for my tastes. Also, important details were left unexplained, such as what it meant when Greg was "wiped". The reader was left to puzzle it out for themselves and try to figure out why such a step was even necessary. A quick but uninspiring read.
Nikki
Spoilers ahead...Helper12 is a sweet story about a couple trying to live a life that is very different from what is expected of them by their dystopian society's government and his parents. I usually love this type of book but Helper12 failed to fully engage me. The relationship between Helper12 and Thomas seems shallow and built on what could be rather than what is because we see very little in depth interaction with them. Also in the end they get what they desire but unlike other books in this ...more
Lori
3.5 stars because I really liked it but not enough to give it 4 stars. I don't know what to label this book. It definately wasn't what I thought it was. I thought it was a dystopia. I guess I must not have paid enough attention to the description.
What I liked: The MC's were interesting. There is some romance to it. Which I think is what saved this book for me.
What I didn't: While the author spent a lot of time building and showing us the class system but neglects to build the world around this
Good quick dystopian story. Great potential to be an awesome book, however the story follows the typical dystopian genre story line. Girl is oppressed, girl breaks free somehow, girl finds boy, girl falls in love with boy, they run off together and live happily ever after, the end. If the author had spend more time developing the background characters telling us more about them the inter workings of their relationship, as well as how the society came to be as we find it, it would have made us fe ...more
Lori
Nice and fast

Nice sweet dystopian read. it made me nervous tho king about the living situations. interesting how different novels have different ways of presenting itself.

What did you think about the character development??? 2 8 Nov 15, 2013 12:50PM
  • The Academie (Academie, #1)
  • Sudden Independents (Independents #1)
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • The Overtaking
  • The Complex (Linx, # 1)
  • World-Mart
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
  • Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1)
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles, #1)
  • The Device
  • Windmills
  • Sela (Leland Dragon #2)
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • Days Like This
  • Scored
  • Bone Machine
Jack Blaine likes to write novels that put good people into horrible situations.
Just to see what theydo.
More about Jack Blaine...
The Nightworld Twitch Sunday Brunch al Fresco