The Flight (Jenny Cooper, #4)

The Flight (Jenny Cooper #4)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  51 reviews
When Flight 189 plunges into the Severn Estuary, Coroner Jenny Cooper finds herself handling the case of a lone sailor whose boat appears to have been sunk by the stricken plane, and drawn into the mysterious fate of a ten year-old girl, Amy Patterson, a passenger on 189, whose largely unmarked body is washed up alongside his. While a massive and highly secretive operation...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 320 pages
Published February 1st 2012 by Mantle (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flight

Mary Gilligan-Nolan
I really like The Coroner, the first book in this series, but I now have formed the opinion that I am in Groundhog Day, as the plot is different, but everything else remains the same. There is a format to the books, i.e. Jenny Cooper always threatens someone she can have them arrested if they do not comply with her orders. "I am The Coroner, do you know who I am and what powers I have". (She does not actually say this, but implies it every time). Alison, her assistant, is always in a bad mood an...more
Vicky Thomasson
After a plane plunges into the Severn Estuary, Jenny Cooper investigates into its sinister cause. I wasn't really sure how I felt about this book. It was a very scary concept which has severely intensified my fear of flying but I'm just not sure if the ending was entirely believable. I don't really believe in conspiracy theories as I refuse to believe that people can be that evil (probably being very naive here!) and sometimes things are just what they are with no suspicious meaning behind them...more
Soul-ann James
Found myself quickly reading through the technical bits of aviation...possibly as it was an industry I worked in. Shame it didn't include at the end why flying is safer than car travel...a large aircraft, compared to a car, has the equivalent of 150+ MOT's that are checked after every landing & before it can take off again (one of the many things that contribute to the turnaround time at an airport, when u see the aircraft landing and wonder why it's taking so long to be called to board!). I...more
Annie Dyer
Enjoyed and liked the plot, but the character of Jenny seems to have run it's course. She has become far too unlikeable and I'm struggling to be on her side now. The demons from her past/mental health issues were interesting at first, but now have become depressing. Not sure if I'll read the next.
Meg

The author was very wise to add a note at the end of the book saying, "......do remember that a short drive through town remains statistically far more dangerous than your flight by a factor of many thousands to one." That said, it was a great read!
Ann Broom
This was my first experience of M.R Hall and the Jenny Cooper books. I enjoyed the twists and turns of the storyline, and despite the subject being rather far fetched (in my mind) sometimes, it was chillingly believable. As they say Real Life is often stranger than Fiction. This could be one of those moments.
I don't normally like to start off in a series with other than the 1st book and read them in order, just incase there is anything that follows on in the history of the character. However, I...more
Richard
Matt Hall demonstrates in this fourth novel about Coroner, Jenny Cooper why we were first drawn to this series and I personally feel that with 'The Flight' he has created an imaginary plot and a chilling thriller.
Perhaps not a book to take on a transatlantic trip this is a mystery that has you on the edge of your seat and grateful not to be obeying seat belt signs.
What I like about Hall's books are that they are multi-layered and not just conspiracy driven stories about our Coroner trying to st...more
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
‘You’ve got that look about you, Mrs Cooper - a woman on a mission.’

Some people love flying and enjoy the thrill of it all, some can take it or leave it, and for others, myself included, it’s all too easy to think about how you are thousands of feet up in the air inside a metal tube that didn’t ought to stay there really as far as you can tell! Being a nervous air passenger myself with a tendency to grip the armrests, or the hand of the person next to me (usually only if I know them already) rat...more
Lizzie Hayes
‘The Flight’ by M R Hall
Published by Mantle, 17th February 2012.
ISBN: 978-230-75491-1 (Trade Paperback)

When Ransome Airways Flight 189, bound for New York with 600 passengers and crew on board, plummet’s into the Severn Estuary shortly after leaving Heathrow, it falls into North Somerset’s Coroners jurisdiction, but two bodies wash up in the jurisdiction of Severn Vale District Coroner Jenny Cooper.

Jenny is currently investigating an unexplained fatal car accident, and along with her current ca...more
David Brown
I’ve never had a fear of flying and on one holiday I flew ten times in the space of a month without an ounce of anxiety. That said, I haven’t much experience of turbulence which I imagine is pretty frightening. M.R. Hall’s The Flight depicts the tragedy of a plane crash and the mysteries that surround it. This is the fourth in a series of novels featuring coroner Jenny Cooper and would be my first taste of her work.

The novel focuses on Flight 189 which crashes into the Severn Estuary leaving no...more
Cath
Flight 189 crashes into the Severn Estuary and nearly six-hundred people die and another sailboat sinks.
It’s Jenny Cooper’s task to find out what happened to Amy Patterson, a girl who travelled alone and who was the only one who wore a lifejacket. She’s found dead nearby the body of the sailor. There has happened something in the water, because Amy’ s dead wasn’t caused by the crash, but by something else.
How could such a high-tech plane, not supposed to crash, fail? Nobody seems to want that qu...more
rabbitprincess
Sep 06, 2012 rabbitprincess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aviation enthusiasts and fans of Da Vinci's Inquest
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the Globe and Mail
The Airbus A380, a behemoth of the skies, is the latest and greatest in terms of technology, supposedly virtually free of human error. How then to explain Ransome Airways Flight 189's fatal plunge into the Severn Estuary shortly after take-off from Bristol International Airport? That's not really what coroner Jenny Cooper is asking though. Her remit is supposedly the death of a sailor who happened to be on the water when the plane hit, taking him out as well. But then Jenny discovers that her in...more
Sharon Kennedy
This is the fourth book in a series, although it is the first one I have read. A coroner (nicely flawed) is called in after the crash of Airbus flight 189, and two bodies are washed up in her jurisdiction - that of a little girl and a sailor.
Orders from on high then take the investigation of the little girl's body out of her hands, which doesn't please her mother, who is determined to find the cause of her daughter's death.
There was a lot to like about this book - the fact that she did not have...more
Deanna Mayhood
This is probably my favourite of all of the Jenny Cooper books, and I've found that as I've read each book, I enjoyed the writing style and the protagonist depiction more and more. This book not only satisfies the reader in an exciting, fast-paced read, but it provides the clues fo rthe reader's own mind to dwell on and attempt to put together alongside our coroner. I'm not always happy with the decisions Jenny makes, but I love the results, and I'm definitely hooked on this series!
Laura Pilcher
A Really good read!
Flight 186 has lost radio contact and crash lands in the Severn River. Two bodies are found a bit further from the wreckage and fall into the juristiction of Coroner Jenny Cooper. Immediately the powers at be close ranks around the diaster the flow of information stops. Jenny has to hand over the body of a 10 year old girl Amy Patterson to the main enquiry. Mr Brogan, the second body in Jenny Coopers juristiction, jives Jenny a small hole in which she tries to uncover the tru...more
Gary Van Cott
I found this book to be tedious. It is yet another conspiracy and one that is never fully explained. While my aviation experience was 30 years ago, there are some things that I know are incorrect (pilots in command always sit in the left seat of the aircraft) and others that I suspect are wrong. One would think that the author did quite a bit of research, yet he made these errors.
Ann Chappe
Most interesting book and very topical, especially in view of the latest air drama in the Indian Ocean with a possibly downed plane. As someone with a fear of flying this book did not help I have to add..... A well told and well thought put plot. It I did find the characters of Jenny and her assistant really quite annoying though.
Ella Scholfield
Unfortunately I don't like the 'real' character writing of some heroines. I don't relate or really approve of Jenny Cooper. On the cover of this books "plausible" is quoted, but really only for the serious conspiracy theorists among us. A let down for me.
Judith Cranswick
An excellent read! An interesting protagonist who finds considerable opposition when she tries to find out what happened when a flight goes down in the Severn Estuary.
Lou Gillies
This book has a lot of detail and it's easy to become bogged down by it all. The story revolves around a crashed Airbus. The investigating coroner is terrified of flying, as is the author (confessional at the end). Having been on a fear of flying course, there are many arising issues within the story that are very much fictional and whilst you probably shouldn't be reading a book about plane crashes if you're too scared to go on one yourself, it's probably not going to help quell your fears. Unl...more
Linda
Truly terrifying premise to this book, which I cannot share as it will spoil the plot.
The book starts with a plane crash of and Airbus, shortly after takeoff. Two bodies are recovered, one from a fisherman whose boat was hit by the plane, and one of a child, who survived the crash only to die from hypothermia. Jenny Cooper is the Coroner who is handling the inquest into the death of the fisherman, but she is getting shut out at every turn, and there is a cover up of information. A real page turn...more
Christie
Another great story from M R Hall
Sharon
This is book four about the coroner it was fantastic gripped me from the start might not want to fly in a plane for awhile after reading this one :-) I would give it more than 5 stars.

You can tell M R Hall has written for film and tv he has a way of making the stories flow and grab never a boring page in this one. I just wanted to keep going another one that I wished hadn't ended.

I have now got the other four books he has written with the same character in and I can't wait to get to them . Inde...more
Lynda
May 06, 2013 Lynda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: crime
So far this is my least favourite in the Jenny Cooper series perhaps its because its about flying and even the very thought of flying makes me anxious. I also found it harder to get into than the previous novels. I think ossibly because there was less about the feisty Ms Cooper and more about flying. Looking forward to finishing it today. I have enjoyed the series as a whole though and Jenny Cooper with all her fondness for beta blockers and dubious men is an interesting character
Dawn Connor
This is the first book by M R Hall that I've read and I really enjoyed it. Loved all the Bristol references :)
Margaret
Eh - ok. I originally started reading this author because my maiden name was ....M. R. Hall (lol) The heroine of the story (series) is a renegade Coroner in Western England who is always uncovering chicanery and getting into trouble doing it. As someone who flies a lot - I don't really want to read about planes plunging out of the sky though :)
Eulalie
The basic story about a downed airplane and the subsequent investigation was quite good but I was intensely irritated by the actions of the main character who is rather depressing and, to my mind, unrealistically stubborn.
This is the third Jenny Cooper book I have read and they are decidedly formulaic, I will not be reading any more.
Jenny
Listened on audio cd from local library. Really enjoyed the story but got a bit lost with the aviation detail. i know many of the areas mentioned. Lovely descriptions.
I have read / heard all the other books in the series too and like the attention to detail. I volunteer in a Coroner's Court which is much busier than Jenny's!
Liz Chapman
This book is set in the Gloucestershire area and I liked reading about places I knew. There is even mention of a dirty night out in Stroud and they pick the worst place they can find for the inquest which is Sharpness village hall! It was a nice holiday read.
Glenna
If you have a fear of flying....this is not the book for you. Not unrealistic at all considering the rapid advance of technology. I have a new respect for modern day aircraft and the pilots who fly them!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Title correction and book cover image 3 28 Mar 06, 2012 12:25PM
M R Hall, otherwise known as Matthew or Matt Hall, lives and works in the Wye Valley in Monmouthshire. Born in London in 1967, he was educated at Hereford Cathedral School and Worcester College, Oxford, where he graduated in law.

After several years as a criminal barrister in London, Matthew started writing TV drama, beginning with epsiodes of ITV's Kavanagh QC. He was nominated for a BAFTA for his...more
More about M.R. Hall...
The Coroner (Jenny Cooper, #1) The Disappeared (Jenny Cooper, #2) The Redeemed (Jenny Cooper, #3) The Chosen Dead (Jenny Cooper, #5) The Innocent