Start by marking “Money-Smart Kids” as Want to Read:
Money-Smart Kids

Money-Smart Kids

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Want to teach your kids to see money as a tool, not a trap? Determinded to help them avoid the mistakes you made?

As a parent, you want the best for your kids. You work hard to provide every advantage you can. You want them to be safe, smart, and healthy. yet when it comes to money, it's a whole different story. If you're like most people, you'd rather run a mile through a
Published 2011 by Collins, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Money-Smart Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money-Smart Kids

Christina
Apr 30, 2013 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Straight-forward, sensible, covers all the basics but felt a bit like an extended magazine article. Her basic principles seem sound and I liked that we were already doing some of the things she advocates. I like how concise it was but I'm glad I got it on sale because otherwise I might have felt short-changed.
Mammy Oaklee
Feb 08, 2013 Mammy Oaklee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-family
Money-Smart Kid$ written by Gail Vaz -Oxlade
In a society that is over-whelmed with debt, I encourage you to pick up this inexpensive paperback book. With so many books out there to read, why not pick up one for the entire family that gives you simple, easy to understand, common sense that was obviously neglected in our up-bringing.
It is an excellent idea that we commit to breaking with the debt tradition! With the ‘buck stops here’ attitude, sit down as a family and together go through 1 or 2 ch
Feb 26, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Gail Vaz-Oxlade. I used to love watching her tv show 'Til Debt Do Us Part.

I enjoyed the way this book was written (in Gail's usual straight-forward, no nonsense style), and appreciated that it was less than 100 pages. It was short and sweet!

I did find it to be a little bit extreme, though. I don't think that my family will implement many of her suggestions. However, I do often talk to my kids about money, and when I do, I will definitely use a few of her suggestions.
Kim Huygen
Jan 24, 2016 Kim Huygen rated it it was amazing
If there's ONE parenting book I think all my friends, acquaintances, neighbours, etc should read, it's this one!

This is the best parenting book I've read. This concept and skill is a life lesson that is so important to teach and the best place for kids to learn money management is at home.

"Money management is the term for a whole bunch of individual skills wrapped up in one neat little package. But each of the skills needs to be introduced, practiced and reinforced. And each takes time to acqui
Debra
Apr 12, 2015 Debra rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy read with excellent information about teaching your kids the basics of money management. Appropriate for parents with kids of all ages. I borrowed it from the library but think I'll buy a copy to refer back to as my son gets older and his financial responsibilities increase.
Lauren
I do not have kids, I read this book to look at my own values regarding money, but it is a well-organized and articulated method for building skills at age-appropriate levels to develop good financial habits later in life. Revolutionary? Probably not: you could likely think out most of the lessons. However, this plan is well-thought out and can be of great help if there was something lacking in your education that now you will have trouble passing on to your kids, e.g. Most generations did not g ...more
Jolie
Jul 30, 2014 Jolie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy read that I completed in one sitting. Very basic solutions for kids and allowance and the magic money jars, and getting the parents in the right frame of mind. I'd recommend!
Robin LMD
Apr 18, 2015 Robin LMD rated it liked it
Some good new ideas and some may even work with my kids. I like her ideas re: allowance vs doling out cash on request.
Natalie
Nov 17, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clear, practical advice for parents on teaching your children about money. Basic premise: how can your children learn how to manage money unless you give them some? My daughter divides up her weekly allowance into 5 separate jars: saving (for university), saving (for an ipod), gifts (for friends and brothers), charity and mad money. Looking forward to reading older books by this author and I have already put my name on a waiting list for her newest release. I will be checking out her show on t.v ...more
NightAuditMan
Feb 04, 2012 NightAuditMan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'd have to admit there were some good idea's within this little book, but I'd also have to admit that I would have liked a more clear and concise approach to teaching my children about money management. Large portions of certain chapters jumped around a lot. It's definately a book that will have to be re-read during differen stages of my childs financial journey.

I would not use this as a sole resource but as an additave to your plan for teaching your children about finance.
Kristal
Apr 11, 2013 Kristal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't have children, but read this for interest sake. This book has a lot of valuable, practical knowledge about how to teach children about money. It challenged some of my ideas about how to do so, but Gail always backed up her ideas with great reasoning. I definitely would recommend this book.

The only think I would change is that 10% needs to be tithed for charity. Not 5%,
Ray
A great financial management introduction for kids, Tweens and teens. It reminded me very much of The Wealthy Barber - the whole idea of paying yourself first with your dedicated 10% savings. Although I borrowed my copy from the local library I plan on going out and buying three copies for my nephews. They will benefit from the information contained within these pages.
Donna Parker
Jul 04, 2012 Donna Parker rated it it was amazing
Love to read books by Ms. Vaz-Oxlade, and love her shows - she is has such a refreshing no-nonsense, pragmatic, and honest approach and style. If I could recommend only one book to help teach children about money this would be it! Easy, practical, and very reasonable. Thank you for all the wonderful tips, suggestions, and help.
Layne
May 05, 2012 Layne rated it really liked it
A very short read, but it has some good advice. Much of it seems to be common sense, but if you've never thought about talking to your kids about money this is a great place to start. The author does a good job of making suggestions for all ages groups.
Celticoracle
I love Gail Vaz-Oxlade. No nonsense and clear advice. My only beef with this book is how little there is about preschoolers - but I guarantee that I'll be picking up my own copy of this when Mini-Me gets a bit older.
Tracy Vezina
Jan 18, 2012 Tracy Vezina rated it it was amazing
I love Gail Vaz-Oxlade and her practical, no-nonsense advice. I'm looking forward to reviewing this book and implementing Gail's ideas as my daughter grows up.
Lisa Irwin
Feb 16, 2012 Lisa Irwin rated it really liked it
Light book. Not too much new here for me because I watch the shows and read her other books. But a good introduction with lots of good tips
Jeanette Manrique-Reyes
It was ok... the book was easy to read but kind of lacked in a lot if places. More process would have been a good idea to add in the book.
Sherry
Jul 27, 2013 Sherry added it
To teach kids - Yes! - but a simple little book that even adults can understand - without all the investment and K401's, etc.
Melanie
Apr 02, 2012 Melanie rated it liked it
A quick, easy read that is informative and helpful in getting your kids started on their journey to financial confidence.
Ame ^_^
Dec 31, 2013 Ame ^_^ rated it it was amazing
a nonsense , straight- forward and practical ways to teach your child(ren) how to handle money (to be financially savvy).
Serena Samra
Apr 07, 2013 Serena Samra rated it it was amazing
Great information on how to help your Holden become aware of money and basic financial skills, allowance ideas and and more!
Michelle
Mar 19, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Simple and to the point. Looking forward to teaching my kid good financial habits.
Colleen
Feb 20, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to put the little kippers on the right track. Read it now, use it forever!
R
Aug 19, 2012 R rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A super quick read. Some common sense stuff and some new neat ideas.
Kristine
Sep 11, 2013 Kristine rated it it was amazing
Excellent tips - I'm starting this with my son on the weekend!
Norra
Nov 25, 2012 Norra rated it it was amazing
I think every parent should probably take the time to read this.
Christine
Jul 27, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
Helpful, will refer to it in the future when my son gets older.
Lola
Jun 16, 2012 Lola rated it it was amazing
great!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Neil Flambé and the Crusader's Curse (The Neil Flambé Capers #3)
  • Death Benefits
  • Persuasion: A New Approach to Changing Minds
  • The Mission to Find Max: Egypt (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart: #14)
  • Decisions
  • A History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present; The George Eastman House Collection
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • C++: The Complete Reference
  • 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss
  • Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir
  • Mean Moms Rule: Why Doing the Hard Stuff Now Creates Good Kids Later
  • Unflinching: The Making of a Canadian Sniper
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • Hiding Edith: A True Story
  • The Wealthy Barber Returns
"Hello! I'm Gail Vaz-Oxlade. I'm a mother, step-mother, grand-mama, friend, confessor, writer, TV host, money maven, teacher, artist, and ex-wife. I'm loud, large and laugh a lot. I'm passionate about learning, committed to sharing and hell-bent on getting people to take control of their money and their lives.

I've written 13 books on personal finance, hundreds of articles for the financial media,
More about Gail Vaz-Oxlade...