Blank-133x176
Money-Smart Kids: Teac...

Gail Vaz-Oxlade

Money-Smart Kids: Teaching Your Children Financial Confidence and Control

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Want to teach your kids to see money as a tool, not a trap? Determinded to help them avoid the mistakes you made?

As a parent, you want the best for your kids. You work hard to provide every advantage you can. You want them to be safe, smart, and healthy. yet when it comes to money, it's a whole different story. If you're like most people, you'd rather run a mile through a...more
Published 2011 by Collins, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Money-Smart Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money-Smart Kids

Christina
Straight-forward, sensible, covers all the basics but felt a bit like an extended magazine article. Her basic principles seem sound and I liked that we were already doing some of the things she advocates. I like how concise it was but I'm glad I got it on sale because otherwise I might have felt short-changed.
Mammy Oaklee
Money-Smart Kid$ written by Gail Vaz -Oxlade
In a society that is over-whelmed with debt, I encourage you to pick up this inexpensive paperback book. With so many books out there to read, why not pick up one for the entire family that gives you simple, easy to understand, common sense that was obviously neglected in our up-bringing.
It is an excellent idea that we commit to breaking with the debt tradition! With the ‘buck stops here’ attitude, sit down as a family and together go through 1 or 2 ch...more
Lauren
I do not have kids, I read this book to look at my own values regarding money, but it is a well-organized and articulated method for building skills at age-appropriate levels to develop good financial habits later in life. Revolutionary? Probably not: you could likely think out most of the lessons. However, this plan is well-thought out and can be of great help if there was something lacking in your education that now you will have trouble passing on to your kids, e.g. Most generations did not g...more
Jolie
Quick and easy read that I completed in one sitting. Very basic solutions for kids and allowance and the magic money jars, and getting the parents in the right frame of mind. I'd recommend!
Natalie
Clear, practical advice for parents on teaching your children about money. Basic premise: how can your children learn how to manage money unless you give them some? My daughter divides up her weekly allowance into 5 separate jars: saving (for university), saving (for an ipod), gifts (for friends and brothers), charity and mad money. Looking forward to reading older books by this author and I have already put my name on a waiting list for her newest release. I will be checking out her show on t.v...more
Azariphale
I'd have to admit there were some good idea's within this little book, but I'd also have to admit that I would have liked a more clear and concise approach to teaching my children about money management. Large portions of certain chapters jumped around a lot. It's definately a book that will have to be re-read during differen stages of my childs financial journey.

I would not use this as a sole resource but as an additave to your plan for teaching your children about finance.
Kristal
I don't have children, but read this for interest sake. This book has a lot of valuable, practical knowledge about how to teach children about money. It challenged some of my ideas about how to do so, but Gail always backed up her ideas with great reasoning. I definitely would recommend this book.

The only think I would change is that 10% needs to be tithed for charity. Not 5%,
Ray
A great financial management introduction for kids, Tweens and teens. It reminded me very much of The Wealthy Barber - the whole idea of paying yourself first with your dedicated 10% savings. Although I borrowed my copy from the local library I plan on going out and buying three copies for my nephews. They will benefit from the information contained within these pages.
Donna Parker
Love to read books by Ms. Vaz-Oxlade, and love her shows - she is has such a refreshing no-nonsense, pragmatic, and honest approach and style. If I could recommend only one book to help teach children about money this would be it! Easy, practical, and very reasonable. Thank you for all the wonderful tips, suggestions, and help.
Layne
A very short read, but it has some good advice. Much of it seems to be common sense, but if you've never thought about talking to your kids about money this is a great place to start. The author does a good job of making suggestions for all ages groups.
Tracy Vezina
I love Gail Vaz-Oxlade and her practical, no-nonsense advice. I'm looking forward to reviewing this book and implementing Gail's ideas as my daughter grows up.
Lisa Irwin
Light book. Not too much new here for me because I watch the shows and read her other books. But a good introduction with lots of good tips
Jeanette Manrique-Reyes
It was ok... the book was easy to read but kind of lacked in a lot if places. More process would have been a good idea to add in the book.
Sherry
Jul 27, 2013 Sherry added it
To teach kids - Yes! - but a simple little book that even adults can understand - without all the investment and K401's, etc.
Melanie
A quick, easy read that is informative and helpful in getting your kids started on their journey to financial confidence.
Ame ^_^
a nonsense , straight- forward and practical ways to teach your child(ren) how to handle money (to be financially savvy).
Serena Samra
Great information on how to help your Holden become aware of money and basic financial skills, allowance ideas and and more!
Colleen
Excellent book to put the little kippers on the right track. Read it now, use it forever!
R
A super quick read. Some common sense stuff and some new neat ideas.
Kristine
Excellent tips - I'm starting this with my son on the weekend!
Norra
I think every parent should probably take the time to read this.
Christine
Helpful, will refer to it in the future when my son gets older.
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Carin
Carin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Emanuela
Emanuela marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"Hello! I'm Gail Vaz-Oxlade. I'm a mother, step-mother, grand-mama, friend, confessor, writer, TV host, money maven, teacher, artist, and ex-wife. I'm loud, large and laugh a lot. I'm passionate about learning, committed to sharing and hell-bent on getting people to take control of their money and their lives.

I've written 13 books on personal finance, hundreds of articles for the financial media,...more
More about Gail Vaz-Oxlade...
Debt-Free Forever: Take Control of Your Money and Your Life Money Rules: Rule Your Money, or Your Money Will Rule You Never Too Late: Take Control of Your Retirement and Your Life It's Your Money: Becoming a Woman of Independent Means Easy Money