Start by marking “L'Empire Ultime, (Fils-des-Brumes, #1)” as Want to Read:
L'Empire Ultime, (Fils-des-Brumes, #1)

L'Empire Ultime, (Mistborn #1)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  161,950 ratings  ·  10,770 reviews
Les brumes règnent sur la nuit,
Le Seigneur Maître sur le monde.

Vin ne connait de l’Empire Ultime que les brumes de Luthadel, les pluies de cendre et le regard d’acier des Grands Inquisiteurs. Depuis plus de 1000 ans, le Seigneur Maître gouverne les hommes par la terreur. Seuls les nobles pratiquent l’allomancie, la précieuse magie des métaux.

Mais Vin n’est pas une adoles
Published March 17th 2010 by Orbit (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about L'Empire Ultime,, please sign up.

Natalie Baker I'd love to see a TV miniseries! I think that would work better.
Nadine Jones There's nothing objectionable in this book, but I listened to the audiobook and I found when my kids were with me, they were completely bored by it,…moreThere's nothing objectionable in this book, but I listened to the audiobook and I found when my kids were with me, they were completely bored by it, it's a much slower pace and much denser than most YA books (and I do read a lot of YA books also).(less)

Kat O'Keeffe

Just as I expected, this book was FANTASTIC. The story, the characters, the world, the magic system--I loved it all! It was a wonderful first book in a series--satisfying on its own, yet there's still plenty to explore in future books (which I will definitely be reading soon!)

Really, the only somewhat negative thing I have to say is regarding all the hype. While I definitely think the praise is deserved, it did leave me with very very high e
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
WOAH. That was a crazy epic adventure full of fantastic characters and action packed madness! It definitely lived up to all the hype for me. :)
Christine Riccio
Benjamin Duffy
I can't remember being this violently conflicted about a book in quite some time. There are some areas where it's just so well done, with the author absolutely nailing it, and then others where I found myself grinding my teeth in frustration. I'm going to abandon my usual practice of writing short, pithy reviews and just drunkenly ramble on a few things here. (Still no spoilers, though.) That OK with y'all?

Language. About two and a half chapters into this book, I found myself asking, "Why does t
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I hate everyone.

You: Everyone who?
Me: Yes.
You: Wut?
Me: Leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it!
You: *backs away slowly*

Are you one of them? Are you? Did you rave about MISTBORN and convince me it was one of the BEST fantasy series ever? You can't believe I haven't already read it--I'm going to LOVE it. Hmm? DID YOU?!

Then you, friend, are who I hate.

As for you, Mr. Sanderson . . . I TRUSTED YOU.

I collected your clues and gathered your h
It reminds me of Ocean's Eleven meets The Italian Job, but set in Mordor after Sauron has ruled for 1000 years or so. In many fantasy stories, a dark lord is rising and it is up to our heroes to defeat him before that happens. In this, the Dark Lord is already set in place as the status quo and the heroes have to motivate others to want a change.....Yet there is a noble class of The Lord Ruler's flunkies who will need to be scammed and robbed along the way, to finance this big revolt.....I love ...more
Kat Stark
Nov 23, 2015 Kat Stark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kat Stark by: Ana

Buddyread with the lovely Kimi (Click to read her review)

I drew a motherfucking picture! Don't judge me, I am the worst kind of artist.

Note to self: You are no longer allowed to bring books this good on family road trips. It makes you antisocial. You ignore the great views outside the car. You resent being torn away from the book to spend time with family, and when you are you babble incessantly about how awesome it is and how everyone would like it and how cool the magic is and how great the characters and on and on and on until your family is probably sick of you. And then, even after an eight-mile hike in the desert when you ...more
"He shall defend their ways, yet shall violate them. He will be their savior, yet they shall call him heretic. His name shall be Discord, yet they shall love him for it."

A thousand years ago, a young and noble hero arose from rural obscurity into being hailed by Terris priests as the prophesised Hero of Ages. The nations and armies of the world were united beneath his banner in an effort to challenge the Deepness, the mysterious force of darkness threatening to engulf the world. All hope was pla
Robin (Bridge Four)
Aug 26, 2015 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss and George RR Martin Fans
Recommended to Robin by: Gavin
Reread of Series starting August 12 - Just as good the 2nd time through plus I caught some hints this time so even better.

Shadows of Self should be released October 6th. So what better excuse do I need to reread every book in the Mistborn world? NONE!!!

Original Review May 2014:
“There’s always another secret.”

That seemed to be the theme for this book. Even when I thought I was on the inside and knew what was going on a new development would come about and I would realize that I like the chara
Add-on December 7 2014:

I completed my first re-read of Mistborn today and I must say that it becomes a lot slower to read the second time when you know where everything is headed. You notice the wordiness of the prose, the clunky dialogue and the fact that there are quite a few spots where it feels overly dramatised rather than necessarily natural. Yet for all of that Brandon Sanderson is a fine storyteller - not necessarily as great a writer at first but he gets a lot better in his later books
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)

Oct 01, 2015 J. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party"
A masterpiece in every way, Mistborn - The Final Empire doesn't just rise to the top of the fantasy genre, it actually redefines it!

The history books of the Final Empire tell of a battle that took place over 1,000 years ago, when a prophesied hero defeated a threat known only as The Deepness and gained the powers of a god to be come the Lord Ruler. However, the people of The Final Empire know better! They know that the omnipotent Lord Ruler that now dominates them all is no hero or god, but rath
Duchess Nicole
Epic Buddy Read with my Epic Fantasy loving buddy readers Tom, Amy (BW), Pat, Rosanna, Sarah (my lovely), Estelle, and Roxanne...Whew!!! I've been dying to read this series!!!!!!!!!
"Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope."

It's been a thousand years since people have seen the sun or a flower...a thousand years since the Lord Ruler claimed control over the world, since he assumed the role of the Hero o
Dylan Williams
I don't even know words. I just know this was fantastic!

I read this as a part of Booksplosion and #YearOfCosmere
WOW. That. Was. Really. Good.
Dec 18, 2008 Josh rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy
Shelves: fantasy
After many failed attempts at starting up various fantasy series, Brandon Sanderson has delivered something refreshing and vastly entertaining. This is very nearly a five star novel, though there are a few simple discrepencies that keep Mistborn from being great.

- I was immideately pulled in by the bizarre world environment here. The idea of a land completely covered in ash at all times is strange and interesting.
- The "magic" system, if it can be called that, is unique and a breath of f
Bookworm Sean
This is an epic fantasy series and The Final Empire, the first book in the trilogy is, in itself, epic. A world oppressed by a dark ruler sees a thieving group take upon the mantels of heroes. This, along with the help of their mystical power, Alomancy, determines the fate of the Mistborn. If anything, Brandon Sanderson certainly knows how to write alarmingly cool books.

Awesome magic system

Alomancy allows the wielder to burn metals, inside themselves, enhancing their physical abilities such as
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

I came late to the Brandon Sanderson show. Numerous things caused this. Marriage, work, and kids did dramatically reduce my reading time just when Mr. Sanderson first arrived on the scene. And, no, I didn’t get introduced to him through Wheel of Time, because my disgust with the middle of that series made me abandon it long before Sanderson took over writing duties. But I did keep having his name whispered in my ear, and the suggestions to “Read Sanderso
"But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.“

This book wrecked me. Honestly, it was better than I've expected. Robert Jordan's influence is obvious, but Sanderson is original in telling his own story. He lays low on clichés and this novel is everything but predictable. It can also be read as a stand-alone, though I can't wait to continue with the series.

A thousand years ago, a young man arose as the pr

I fucking hate you Brandon Sanderson.

You are an evil person. A mad person. A person who has no conscience at all!!!

Why? Why the fuck? Why???

I'm upset.

I'm sad.

I'm angry.

I'm happy.

I want to kill people.

I'm seriously distraught with this entire thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love this book. But there were just so many things towards the end of this book that broke my heart. I was so invested with these characters that when I lost one of them, I just couldn't help myself not to cry.

Okay, okay.

First off, I'm a bit of a Sanderson newbie. My first foray into Brandon's remarkable mind came at the end of last year, where despite having started The Way of Kings 3 or 4 times, Steelheart became the first Sanderson story I would ever finish. Now I'm a Sanderson Fangirl. I have Sandersonitis. I've been Sandersoned.

Second; Sanderson writes the best prologues. And then there are the stories within the stories and GAH! I can't even deal.

The Final Empire is the story of a ra
Sarah Churchill
I really, really enjoyed this first installment of the Mistborn Trilogy, and I'm very glad I have the box set on hand so that I can continue onwards straight away. Even though it wasn't left on much of a cliffhanger there's plenty that I need to discover from the new society.

It did take a little while to get into and to find my feet with the world and powers, but that's usual for me with a high fantasy such as this, especially one with many 'main' characters and a variety of different powers and
When someone asked Brandon how many magic systems he had created, he replied more than we realized. The astute audience member then asked how many magic systems we could expect to read about one day. To which Brandon responded, “Only the good ones.”

And the magic in Mistborn is good. Really good. Admittedly, I am picky about my magic. It should require effort and time to master. I need limitations and give-and-take. Make it interesting. I’d like a clear methodology and maybe a dash of whimsy. I e
What a ride that was!

This was my first Sanderson's book, but it certainly won't be my last. I haven't read a lot of epic fantasy, but I don't think it can get any better than this. You know a good book when you feel all emotions reading it, and this book just did that to me. And what I liked the most is character development Vin goes through. She definitely goes on my list of most badass characters ever. And also, the the storyline went to places I never expected, which I always like in a book.

Jun 08, 2012 Kay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sauron and all lords dark and immortal
Actual rating is 3.5 to 3.75 .

When I think back on this book, the first thing that comes to mind is amazing magic system and thorough world building. Usually, I tend to see magic and world building as spices that enhance plot and characterization. Without it, the story could turn out to be bland and tasteless, but the story itself would still exist.

Well, in this case, without the magic system and world building, there would be no story.

Imagine a post-apocalyptic medieval world
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘

Because let's face it, this book is basically a book version of a RPG game.

Thanks so much to my Indy Kitty Cat Chelsea and my French fellow Lucy for reading it with me. That was such a commitment ;)

Warning : if you think that my review is kind of useless, don't worry, you're probably right. However, as there is a large amount of great reviews out there, I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

Main Quest : Save the world of course, what do you think?

We have our regular high-fantasy here :
- a worl
So I'm taking a short departure from my evil ADD reviews infused with countless images and my odd sense of humor to take an in depth look at this this breathtaking book.

Books are about one of two things for me. Escapism or experiencing. I either want a book to make me close my eyes and completely take me out of this world OR open my eyes and force me to see things in a different light, think about and savor every second of this life. If it doesn't do at least one of those, it isn't doing it's jo
Dragons & Jetpacks: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) / Overall Discussion / **SPOILERS** 34 117 Nov 22, 2015 03:20PM
Film Adaptation of Mistborn 19 582 Oct 21, 2015 06:58AM
Brandon Sanderson: Favorite Mistborn characters? 41 204 Oct 15, 2015 02:04AM
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time #13)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • Paladin of Souls (Chalion, #2)
  • The Broken Kingdoms (Inheritance, #2)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • Blood Song (Raven's Shadow, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (The Powder Mage, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
  • The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
January 2015 marks the release of Firefight , the sequel to Steelheart . When only evil people gain super powers and become tyrants, it's up to normal people to hunt them down. There is a free 5-chapter preview ebook of Steelheart that you should check out, with a corresponding sampler audiobook on Audible. The Firefight book tour in the US lasts throughout January.

Recent short releases are Leg
More about Brandon Sanderson...

Mistborn (7 books)
  • The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2)
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Alloy of Law (Mistborn, #4)
  • Shadows of Self (Mistborn, #5)
  • Bands of Mourning (Mistborn, #6)
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)

“You should try not to talk so much, friend. You'll sound far less stupid that way.

- Breeze”