Kingmaker, Kingbreaker: The Omnibus Edition

Kingmaker, Kingbreaker: The Omnibus Edition (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker #1-2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Being a fisherman like his father isn't a bad life, but it's not the one that Asher wants.

Despite his humble roots, Asher has grand dreams. And they call him to Dorana, home of princes, beggars, and the warrior mages who have protected the kingdom for generations.

Little does Asher know, however, that his arrival in the city is being closely watched...

KINGMAKER, KINGBREAKE...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

Fred
This is definitely one of the best books that I had read in years in terms of building up and not giving away any of the plot. There were some serious plot twists and turns in here that I never saw coming and I have to give it to the writer because after reading a few hundred fantasy novels alone it's hard to blindside me the way that some of the things in here did. I like to think that I'm pretty familiar with the typical tropes used in the genre.

Unfortunately, I think the ending was a bit anti...more
Kayleen
The fact that so few people have read Kingmaker, Kingbreaker is a tragedy in and of itself. I picked up this duology on a whim one day and can honestly say it was one of the best reading choices I've ever made. From world-building to character development, Karen Miller is a master of it all. The world of Lur and its unique history are enough to carry the story all on their own, with each continuing to deepen and expand in the Fisherman's Children and Blight of Mages sequels. Her characters are a...more
Robert
An epic story following on from the prequel "A Blight of Mages" though 600 years later. I'm not happy with the hero - I have a Yorkshire friend who likes to tell me that blunt, plain-speaking truth is a sign of a true friend, whereas at times I'm tempted to tell him that hurtful sarcasm is more the sign of a total bastard. Well, that just about sums up Asher, the "hero" of this omnibus edition of "The Innocent Mage" and "The Awakened Mage".

It was a most enjoyable read, but as usual I have a few...more
Férial
Very good read. And that ending ! My.

Mixed feelings though. I enjoyed it as a whole (gave it a 4 stars, right ?). I loved how the author built her world (some would say "slowly". I won't). I loved her writing style. I loved this Weather magic. I loved the deep characterization. I loved the shift in POV. I loved, oh, I LOVED Prince Gar.

I didn't like the ever present prophecy thing (but that's just me. I believe people can change their destiny but here, ugh, they did EVERYTHING to have the prophec...more
Ана Хелс
Карън Милър, обективно погледнато, е доста непознат — при това и жена — автор на фентъзийни романи. Чиста схизма за обичайното българско книгоиздаване досега, напълно погазена за добро от великолепните “МБГ Букс”, отварящи ни очите за купчини страхотни чуждоземски думомагьосници и поднасящи ни ги по модерному — в цветове, блясък и вдъхващи огън във въображението ни форми. Невинният маг, Узурпаторът и Последните дни са поредните красиви деца на книжната форма, нежно прилягащи в ръцете на развълну...more
Amanda
I am so pleased by all this good fantasy I've been reading lately! You definitely want to get this trade back omnibus version, because there is NO WAY you can read the end of The Innocent Mage and not immediately start on the second book.

It's just that good.

However, with Kingkiller and Locke Lamora hovering in the background of my mind, I am hard pressed to articulate how this book is as good...but not as good. It has none of the poetry of Kingkiller. None of the thrilling cunningness of Locke L...more
Jackie
As the Omnibus edition of the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series, this book contained the two previously individually printed books that compile the duology. With that being said, it was best that they were made into this Omnibus edition for many, many reasons.

Book 1, The Innocent Mage (low 3 stars, I enjoyed this book. Yet, it was so boring at the same time. I didn't feel like I was pushing myself to read, but nothing ever happened to really keep my focus. There was no magic besides that of the Dora...more
Em
standard fantasy fare, satisfyingly wrapped up in two volumes. doesn't break new ground or explain why the main villain is the only one to turn so evil with such great power, but i really liked the main protagonist asher.
Melinda
I enjoyed this book very much. I liked how each chapter was a direct continuation from the last. I felt like the book flowed nicely and was well-written. I enjoyed the fact that I felt like I was living through the characters in their day-to-day life; I never missed a day of their adventure. I never felt as though there was a dull moment and the characters were role-models and heroes individually; they were refreshing. I definitely recommend this book looking for an adventure.
Rachel
The characters are what makes this story interesting; they are fully fleshed out, likeable, and driven by their own needs. Their growth occurs gradually, while circumstances grow rapidly out of control. For those who like books that go from point A to B, this is a good choice, as the detail is kept to a minimum, and there is little sidetracking.
Seth
Combine these two books and take out a bunch and could have been a pretty kick-ass movie, but that's about it.
Stéphanie Amesse
I couldn't make it past page 75. If you're looking for high fantasy, look elsewhere.
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Athos
Athos marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Scot Hickey
Scot Hickey marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Timothy Otero
Timothy Otero marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Jas
Jas added it
Jun 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. Please see this thread for more details.

Also writes as "K.E. Mills"

Lord, do you really want to know?

Oh, all right.

I was born in Vancouver, Canada, and came to Australia with my parents when I was 2. I think. Dad’s an Aussie, Mum’s English, go figure. Talk about Fate and Destiny. But three passports come in hand...more
More about Karen Miller...
The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1) The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2) Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy #1) The Reluctant Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #2) The Prodigal Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #1)