Start by marking “Kingmaker, Kingbreaker: The Omnibus Edition” as Want to Read:
Kingmaker, Kingbreaker: The Omnibus Edition

Kingmaker, Kingbreaker: The Omnibus Edition (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker #1-2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  153 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Being a fisherman like his father isn't a bad life, but it's not the one that Asher wants.

Despite his humble roots, Asher has grand dreams. And they call him to Dorana, home of princes, beggars, and the warrior mages who have protected the kingdom for generations.

Little does Asher know, however, that his arrival in the city is being closely watched...

KINGMAKER, KINGBREAKE
Published August 14th 2012 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingmaker, Kingbreaker

Fred
May 25, 2014 Fred rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is definitely one of the best books that I had read in years in terms of building up and not giving away any of the plot. There were some serious plot twists and turns in here that I never saw coming and I have to give it to the writer because after reading a few hundred fantasy novels alone it's hard to blindside me the way that some of the things in here did. I like to think that I'm pretty familiar with the typical tropes used in the genre.

Unfortunately, I think the ending was a bit anti
Francesco
Feb 07, 2015 Francesco rated it really liked it
Vote: 3,75
Class: L-B1 (FP)

(a Duology)

This series is somewhat reminiscent of the "Assassin Apprentice" saga by Robin Hobb: a character driven plot centered in a classic fantasy world.
However I liked it more: really touching, amazing characters, an excellent writing and an epic story which keeps you hooked to the end.
If there is a fault it's that the second half of the story (the Awakened Mage) feels too stretched and sometimes slow and the ending is too... expected.

The world (3,75) is a good cla
Robert
Feb 22, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
An epic story following on from the prequel "A Blight of Mages" though 600 years later. I'm not happy with the hero - I have a Yorkshire friend who likes to tell me that blunt, plain-speaking truth is a sign of a true friend, whereas at times I'm tempted to tell him that hurtful sarcasm is more the sign of a total bastard. Well, that just about sums up Asher, the "hero" of this omnibus edition of "The Innocent Mage" and "The Awakened Mage".

It was a most enjoyable read, but as usual I have a few
Férial
Dec 11, 2013 Férial rated it really liked it
Very good read. And that ending ! My.

Mixed feelings though. I enjoyed it as a whole (gave it a 4 stars, right ?). I loved how the author built her world (some would say "slowly". I won't). I loved her writing style. I loved this Weather magic. I loved the deep characterization. I loved the shift in POV. I loved, oh, I LOVED Prince Gar.

I didn't like the ever present prophecy thing (but that's just me. I believe people can change their destiny but here, ugh, they did EVERYTHING to have the prophec
Ана Хелс
May 29, 2013 Ана Хелс rated it it was amazing
Карън Милър, обективно погледнато, е доста непознат — при това и жена — автор на фентъзийни романи. Чиста схизма за обичайното българско книгоиздаване досега, напълно погазена за добро от великолепните “МБГ Букс”, отварящи ни очите за купчини страхотни чуждоземски думомагьосници и поднасящи ни ги по модерному — в цветове, блясък и вдъхващи огън във въображението ни форми. Невинният маг, Узурпаторът и Последните дни са поредните красиви деца на книжната форма, нежно прилягащи в ръцете на развълну ...more
Amanda
Jan 04, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I am so pleased by all this good fantasy I've been reading lately! You definitely want to get this trade back omnibus version, because there is NO WAY you can read the end of The Innocent Mage and not immediately start on the second book.

It's just that good.

However, with Kingkiller and Locke Lamora hovering in the background of my mind, I am hard pressed to articulate how this book is as good...but not as good. It has none of the poetry of Kingkiller. None of the thrilling cunningness of Locke L
Jackie
Jun 27, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
As the Omnibus edition of the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series, this book contained the two previously individually printed books that compile the duology. With that being said, it was best that they were made into this Omnibus edition for many, many reasons.

Book 1, The Innocent Mage (low 3 stars, I enjoyed this book. Yet, it was so boring at the same time. I didn't feel like I was pushing myself to read, but nothing ever happened to really keep my focus. There was no magic besides that of the Dora
Ethan
Jun 10, 2015 Ethan rated it really liked it
This book is quite enjoyable. The plot is fun, the characters are diverse, and the fantasy land is well-thought-out and creative. The only down side is that pretty much all of the characters repeatedly delve into long diatribes and explanations emotional blather. I think I could have grasped the characters and plot with a bit less of that, but who knows.
Lonna Cunningham
May 29, 2016 Lonna Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down.

THAT hasn't happened for a while.

A few moments where I thought things might be just a tad convenient but really, very few and easily digested. Loved the dialogue - regional accents, uppity nobles.

Yeah, this was definitely my kind of book.
Christopher
Nov 03, 2014 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story starts off with a young boy adventuring off to prove to his older brothers and family that he isn't the helpless youngest brother and he finds his own place and fate waiting for him.

I really enjoyed this book; it was very well written and I impatiently turned each page to continue the story. The only flaw I felt this book had was that it got slow at some points and despite the whole book slowly climbing to reach the climax of the book, I felt the climax didn't reach the peak I was hopi
Em
Jul 27, 2014 Em rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
standard fantasy fare, satisfyingly wrapped up in two volumes. doesn't break new ground or explain why the main villain is the only one to turn so evil with such great power, but i really liked the main protagonist asher.
Trent Mikesell
Jul 25, 2016 Trent Mikesell rated it it was amazing
Excellent story and amazing character development.
Melinda
Jul 20, 2013 Melinda rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. I liked how each chapter was a direct continuation from the last. I felt like the book flowed nicely and was well-written. I enjoyed the fact that I felt like I was living through the characters in their day-to-day life; I never missed a day of their adventure. I never felt as though there was a dull moment and the characters were role-models and heroes individually; they were refreshing. I definitely recommend this book looking for an adventure.
Rachel
Aug 13, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-adult
The characters are what makes this story interesting; they are fully fleshed out, likeable, and driven by their own needs. Their growth occurs gradually, while circumstances grow rapidly out of control. For those who like books that go from point A to B, this is a good choice, as the detail is kept to a minimum, and there is little sidetracking.
Mcnaird
May 25, 2014 Mcnaird rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A long, tedious book, with little to no action and very slow plot progress. The world-building was sub-par leaving a lot about the world and the people inhabiting it unexplained. Though it is well-written and utilizes an extensive vocabulary, I would not recommend this book.
Seth
May 07, 2014 Seth rated it did not like it
Combine these two books and take out a bunch and could have been a pretty kick-ass movie, but that's about it.
Stéphanie Amesse
Apr 22, 2013 Stéphanie Amesse rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
I couldn't make it past page 75. If you're looking for high fantasy, look elsewhere.
Jasmine Lambert
Jasmine Lambert marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Rob Thomas
Rob Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Angela Richards
Angela Richards is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2016
Isaac
Isaac marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Michael Doran
Michael Doran rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Anita Ritzmann
Anita Ritzmann marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Reggie Kray
Reggie Kray marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Pamela Mckinley
Pamela Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Brandon Steele
Brandon Steele is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate? 3 13 Dec 02, 2014 09:52AM
  • Lance of Earth and Sky (The Chaos Knight, #2)
  • Make Believe
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • The Nekropolis Archives
  • The Order of the Scales (The Memory of Flames, #3)
  • In the Earth Abides the Flame (Fire of Heaven, #2)
  • Seasons of War (Long Price Quartet, #3-4)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • Tidal Whispers
  • Deadwood
  • The Cornelius Chronicles (The Chronicles of Jerry Cornelius, #1-4)
  • Void (Hex, #1-3)
  • Zagreb Cowboy: A Marko Della Torre Novel
  • Call of the Sea
  • The Demon Cycle 3-Book Bundle: The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, The Daylight War
  • Blood Charged (Dragon Blood, #3)
  • Twin Sense
  • The Devil Delivered and Other Tales
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. Please see this thread for more details.

Also writes as "K.E. Mills"

Lord, do you really want to know?

Oh, all right.

I was born in Vancouver, Canada, and came to Australia with my parents when I was 2. I think. Dad’s an Aussie, Mum’s English, go figure. Talk about Fate and Destiny. But three passports come in hand
More about Karen Miller...

Kingmaker, Kingbreaker (2 books)
  • The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)