Start by marking “Crinkleroot's Guide to Giving Back to Nature” as Want to Read:
Crinkleroot's Guide to Giving Back to Nature

Crinkleroot's Guide to Giving Back to Nature (Crinkleroot)

Jim Arnosky's beloved nature expert, Crinkleroot, is back!

Award-winning children's book artist and naturalist Jim Arnosky features his iconic character in this fun and informative picture book. Crinkleroot, who was "born in a tree and raised by bees," guides young readers through the natural world, taking them on a journey through the seasons, and giving examples of thing
Published March 15th 2012 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Crinkleroot's Guide to Giving Back to Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crinkleroot's Guide to Giving Back to Nature

Shelli
May 02, 2012 Shelli rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book gives ideas on how you can help nature in some small and not so small ways, no matter where you live on the planet. People who live near the ocean can leave off there porch light while turtles are laying their eggs, since this is safer to do under cover of darkness. Folks who live in the woods can keep their dogs and cats locked up during the winter time so as not to frighten critters that are not hibernating and need to conserve their energy while food is scarce. These and many more e ...more
Kayce
Mar 26, 2012 Kayce rated it liked it
A good message for children about stewardship, but some of the advice for feeding the animals is not quite up to snuff.
Dolly
Jan 14, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've recently discovered the Crinkleroot series by Jim Arnosky. We are enchanted with Crinkleroot - he's a very entertaining character and a good teacher. The way that he teaches about nature makes us feel like we are right there in the woods with him. We also love the beautiful illustrations combined with a witty narrative.

The book is informative, but not overwhelming and it has a strong environmental message. Most of the activities described in the book will need parental assistance or at lea
Jessi
Apr 12, 2016 Jessi rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314, 2nd-grade
I like this book because I think it has a fairly good mix of giving information to kids and using a character to keep them engaged. I like that it gives ideas on big ways to help nature, like planting trees, as well as little ways, like turning off your lights when you're not using them. However I think my favorite part of the book is that even though it isn't written as information in a list or encyclopedia format, it is still broken up enough that you could pick and choose parts of the book to ...more
Feb 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was very informative on how to respect nature. The illustrations were very cute. I also like that they gave processes on how to attract certain birds and how to compost. These are just a few things that the whole family could do together. Once my husband and I get a house, I will definitely refer back to this book.
Great Books
Mar 08, 2012 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
Care for the Earth with the unforgettable Crinkleroot, who was "born in a tree and raised by bees." Full of ideas and colorful illustrations, families will learn to make treats for birds, plant trees, take care of streams, and compost leaves. Reviewer 11.
Naomi
May 16, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed this book and its message about respecting nature, I didn't think the illustrations had the humph of some of the other books I have read by him. Still a great book to teach kids about nature.
Christie Lee
Jul 12, 2015 Christie Lee rated it liked it
This is a sweet book that talks about ways that one person can help out taking care of nature. There is information about planting trees, grasses, as well as feeding animals, and keeping all of nature safe.
Talisa Timms
The main character, Crinkleroot, describes ways to help the Earth. This book provides tips and activities that any child can do to help our environment. This book promotes sustainability and is fun way for children to learn about nature.
Vicki
May 10, 2015 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I love Crinkleroot ("born in a tree and raised by bees"), and was delighted to see him back in this new-to-me book. It contains a lot of good suggestions that youngsters can use to do their part in keeping the earth healthy.
Karen Arendt
Jun 05, 2012 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, science

Great resource for nature units and environmental clubs. The illustrations are muted and full of color. Many activities that children can do as well.
Wendy Kuzma
Mar 22, 2012 Wendy Kuzma rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun conservation ideas for kids told in a story format.
Tara Choate
Jul 17, 2012 Tara Choate rated it liked it
Not his strongest, but good.
Jul 16, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: gp-putnam-s-sons
Text a little long but informative.

I really liked the illustrations. Micron pens with acrylic wash. Cute character and animals.
Debbie Tanner
This is a lovely book that kids will want to read over and over again, but it's so detailed that it would be difficult as a read aloud unless you carefully choose the passages you want to read.
Pinky
Pinky rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Mother&Son
Mother&Son rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Andrea Labonte
Andrea Labonte rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
OS
OS rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Ann J. Bliss
Ann J. Bliss rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2016
Alana
Alana rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Rene
Rene rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
John
John rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Bonnie C
Bonnie C rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Sparrows at Home Homeschool
My daughter and I enjoyed this book and it gave her many ideas of ways to care for animals. She is eager to plant a butterfly bush this spring.
Jim Arnosky was born in New York City, NY Sept 1, 1946. He was raised in Pennsylvania. Jim graduated from high school in Philadelphia and joined the US Naval Reserves. His active duty took him to Maryland and Bremerhaven, Germany.
In 1976 Jim and his wife Deanna moved to Vermont with their two daughters where they have lived in an old farmhouse for the past 28 years. 17 of those years were spent ra
More about Jim Arnosky...

Crinkleroot (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Crinkleroot's Book of Animal Tracks and Wildlife Signs