The Inheritance

The Inheritance

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Katie Price is baffled to learn that a man claiming to be her grandfather has left her his entire estate in the Scottish Highlands including a thriving whiskey distillery and a moldering castle where he actually lived until his death. The Will stipulates that Katie must travel to Scotland to claim the inheritance in person. As her stay extends from weeks into months, she u...more
Published August 23rd 2011

Melodie
The Inheritance is a moldering castle in Scotland.The recipient is Katie Price, a teacher in the States. The mystery begins with the information that to collect her inheritance, she must travel to Scotland.And her benefactor, claiming to be her grandfather cannot possibly be. Her grandfather was killed in World War 1.
So begins a tale set in the past and present. As Katie uncovers more information on her family history,the tale of star crossed lovers,Isobel and Rorie come to the fore.And there...more
Cindy
Other than some crappy editing, I fully loved this book. It was hard to put down and I was sorry to see it end. Luckily, the author, Irina Shapiro, has other published books which also have high ratings, so I will soon read another one by her.

This novel took place mostly in Scotland and contained a story within a story--one in contemporary times and one set in 1745. I enjoyed both stories and sets of characters, although the historical one was definitely more exciting.
Rachel
I bought this for $3 on my kindle-I got what I paid for. Part of the storyline, from the 1740s, was very interesting, but the other, the present, was pretty dull. I didn't feel any romantic interest between the main characters (present). If it had just been about the past storyline I may have given it 3 or 4 stars. The book didn't seem very well edited-as another reviewer put it, like a second draft.
Rio (Lynne)
You are a teacher of Literature and you don't know what a Jacobite is? You inherit a Scottish castle from a grandfather you thought died 50 years ago and you and your parents don't question this? Your Mom just says "Hmmm...well go and see your castle then" even though she shows no interest? You inherit a castle (who wouldn't be ecstatic) and you don't even want to google it? Ahhhhh lost interest.
Zoe
What a story! A great mix up of old and new in such an interesting and unique way. It kept me guessing right to the end,not knowing whether or not the modern day would figure out the past. Such a fantastic take on a modern/historical romance! I can not reccomend this book enough. I couldn't put it down.
Susan
Irina pens "The Inheritance" with characters that will captivate you in this flowing plot of romance, mystery and fantasy. I enjoyed the story and wished it didn't have to end. A must read!

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Melissa
I liked this book much better than the author's other book that I read. The romance is much more believeable and the story moves along a good pace. I liked how the author blended the two story lines together.
Jody
Poorly written AND poorly edited....the author doesn't have a clue how to build romantic tension or craft a riveting love scene. Pales in comparison to Kearsley's time-split books.
Ivy Andrews
Loved this book. Perfect combination of romance, history and suspense. Highly recommend to anyone who loves a good yarn.
Susan
The Inheritance is a sophomoric, amateurish, third-rate novel rife with word, sentence structure and punctuation errors. The characters were one dimensional and uninteresting. The story was just plain dumb. I read about a third of it and then skimmed to the end - and I wouldn't have bothered to do that except that I actually paid good money for this lousy book. The Inheritance, as well as its author, will be going on my "stinker" list.
Niki
The writing was kind of stiff (the author didn't make use of contractions where most people would use them in everyday speech), the story was unrealistic, and modern slang was used in the 1700's flashbacks that wasn't invented yet. But it was an entertaining, quick read with a feel-good ending even if I had to REALLY suspend my disbelief to accept that the main character actually dreamed it.
Jenni
This was a decent book but her writing was very abrupt at times and there was very little fluff. She jumped right into the story from the get go but it was entertaining enough. Another book about Scotland. This one was not a time travel book but went back and forth from present to past.
Lady Domino
The book has promise, BUT it reads like a second draft and feels very unpolished. And as to the link between Isabel and Katie - I still don't know what it was or why was suggested.

If you want to read a book with similar time splits read Barbara Erskine ~ Kingdom of Shadows - a far superior book.
Loretta
Good story but again another author who either can't proofread (or hire someone to do it for her). Throughout the story the characters were always "wondering" through places - for example "I wondered through the shops." Just one example of the poor use of words!
Crystal
I enjoyed this book very much - there were grammatical errors throughout, however, it was still quite a page turner. I also enjoyed the historical references throughout. I haven't read anything else by Irina Shapiro but will now look for more.
Rebecca
This is definitely a fast read. I agree the editing leaves a bit to be desired but it was a fun, enjoyable, quick and easy story. That was all I was looking for so it was good fit.
Kari
So this was quite predictable but a nice little love story. I liked it but it certainly wouldn't join a must read section on my book shelves. More like the beach reads section.
Amy
Easy and quick to read. A bit like a formula but enjoyable for a weekend book. I like the location and characters just was not much too them.
Pauline
The most predictable book I have ever read, thus terribly boring. Too simplistic even for a beach book. Also very poor editing.
Beth
Semi-short story, flashing back between current and past events around an ancient castle in Scotland.
Karli Kittine-Ulaszek
Pretty good and was free on Amazon for kindle ! Reminds me of Kate Morton-editing is poor though
Jessicar
Simple, predictable, easy read, which I enjoyed due to its setting in history & location.
Beth
Average writing, average story. Not a bad way to spend a rainy afternoon.
Bridget
Overall, good book. Not proofread well but still a good story.
Priscilla
This was my first Kindle book. Now I know why it was only $2
Andrea
Weak writing, weak plot and weak character development.
Laurie
Good story, bad ending. Wrapped up too quickly.
Parky2002
Loved it my kinda book romantic all the way
freebie 3 3 May 23, 2012 03:08AM
  • T'on Ma
  • Border Lord's Bride
  • Treasure of Egypt: Treasure of the Ancients
  • Her Master's Touch
  • The Companion of Lady Holmeshire
  • The Midget's House
  • Betrayed (Clan MacKenzie #3)
  • The Day the Flowers Died
  • The Minstrel Boy (Blue Bells Trilogy, #2)
  • Freedom's Sword
  • Celtic Storms (Celtic Steel, #1)
  • Highland Obsession
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Death of a Serpent (Serafina Florio, #1)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • The Ruby Brooch
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
I was born in Moscow, Russia during the hight of Communism and "enjoyed" the life of an average Russian child until my family's immigration to the United States in 1982. We settled in Brooklyn, NY where I finished school and then graduated from Bernard M. Baruch College in New York City with a degree in International Business. Despite my business degree, history and travel have always been my pass...more
More about Irina Shapiro...
The Hands of Time (Hands of Time, #1) Precious Bones A Leap of Faith (Hands of Time, #2) The Folly A World Apart (Hands of Time, #3)