Start by marking “The Inheritance” as Want to Read:
The Inheritance

The Inheritance

Katie Price is baffled to learn that a man claiming to be her grandfather has left her his entire estate in the Scottish Highlands including a thriving whiskey distillery and a moldering castle where he actually lived until his death. The Will stipulates that Katie must travel to Scotland to claim the inheritance in person. As her stay extends from weeks into months, she u ...more
Published August 23rd 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inheritance

Rio (Lynne)
You are a teacher of Literature and you don't know what a Jacobite is? You inherit a Scottish castle from a grandfather you thought died 50 years ago and you and your parents don't question this? Your Mom just says "Hmmm...well go and see your castle then" even though she shows no interest? You inherit a castle (who wouldn't be ecstatic) and you don't even want to google it? Ahhhhh lost interest.
Cindy
Jan 28, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Other than some crappy editing, I fully loved this book. It was hard to put down and I was sorry to see it end. Luckily, the author, Irina Shapiro, has other published books which also have high ratings, so I will soon read another one by her.

This novel took place mostly in Scotland and contained a story within a story--one in contemporary times and one set in 1745. I enjoyed both stories and sets of characters, although the historical one was definitely more exciting.
Jody
Jul 02, 2012 Jody rated it it was ok
Poorly written AND poorly edited....the author doesn't have a clue how to build romantic tension or craft a riveting love scene. Pales in comparison to Kearsley's time-split books.
Boundless Book Reviews
Katie is shocked when she gets a call from Scotland when a man passes who claims to be her grandfather. He leaves her everything. She goes to Scotland to deal with the Will and while there she begins to unravel long buried secrets. Who was this man and why did he leave her everything? While finding out the truth of her grandfather she also unlocks secrets to the castles late inhabitants. While in Scotland, she not only finds out the truth to her identity and that of her ancestors,  but also a lo ...more
Melodie
Oct 06, 2012 Melodie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
The Inheritance is a moldering castle in Scotland.The recipient is Katie Price, a teacher in the States. The mystery begins with the information that to collect her inheritance, she must travel to Scotland.And her benefactor, claiming to be her grandfather cannot possibly be. Her grandfather was killed in World War 1.
So begins a tale set in the past and present. As Katie uncovers more information on her family history,the tale of star crossed lovers,Isobel and Rorie come to the fore.And there
Rachel
Aug 11, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
I bought this for $3 on my kindle-I got what I paid for. Part of the storyline, from the 1740s, was very interesting, but the other, the present, was pretty dull. I didn't feel any romantic interest between the main characters (present). If it had just been about the past storyline I may have given it 3 or 4 stars. The book didn't seem very well edited-as another reviewer put it, like a second draft.
Zoe
Jun 06, 2012 Zoe rated it it was amazing
What a story! A great mix up of old and new in such an interesting and unique way. It kept me guessing right to the end,not knowing whether or not the modern day would figure out the past. Such a fantastic take on a modern/historical romance! I can not reccomend this book enough. I couldn't put it down.
Melissa
Jan 23, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
I liked this book much better than the author's other book that I read. The romance is much more believeable and the story moves along a good pace. I liked how the author blended the two story lines together.
Susan
Nov 20, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Irina pens "The Inheritance" with characters that will captivate you in this flowing plot of romance, mystery and fantasy. I enjoyed the story and wished it didn't have to end. A must read!

This review is based on a complimentary copy which was provided for an honest review.
Irina Shapiro
Nov 17, 2011 Irina Shapiro rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Perfect combination of romance, history and suspense. Highly recommend to anyone who loves a good yarn.
MaryJane Rings
Oct 01, 2015 MaryJane Rings rated it really liked it
What is must be like to inherit a castle and a distillery in Scotland from a grandfather,you weren't even aware of. This is a fascinating story of a young woman who leaves a humdrum teaching job to go to Scotland over the summer to determine what this inheritance is,that is mentioned in the will of a man who states he was her grandfather. What she finds is an adventure dating back generations of love, betrayal,Jacobite rebellion and deceit. The story starts with a marriage of convenience to sett ...more
Lita Acevedo
Sep 25, 2016 Lita Acevedo rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book that is actually two separate stories woven together. In the present time Kate inherits a castle in Scotland on the condition that she actually go there to see it before deciding what to do with it. While there she stumbles upon the story of Isobel who was once the lady of the castle and who disappeared suddenly after her husband died i the mid 1700s. Flashing back and forth between the two time periods the author weaves two delightful stories that are connected but separate. ...more
Katie
Jan 03, 2017 Katie rated it it was amazing
I love to find modern Scottish romances and this one does not fail. To make it more exciting, you glimpse back to the time before Culloden and forbidden love. I loved the quest to find the truth and the love shared between the couples. This book is the one you keep reading late, dream about story while sleeping, and wake up early to pick up where you left off. Highly recommend! Truly a wonderful read!
Faye Lawson
Feb 13, 2015 Faye Lawson rated it it was amazing
I have joy

Having a wee bit of Scottish history unfurled through the pages of this book, sympathizing with Rory and Isobel, wondering why she didn't go to her father when she learned of John's plot! Reliving the events and agony of Culloden the aftermath! This is an outstanding book, although I will have to reread it because I feel I'm missing something Angus was trying to convey to Katie.
Susan
Feb 02, 2013 Susan rated it did not like it
The Inheritance is a sophomoric, amateurish, third-rate novel rife with word, sentence structure and punctuation errors. The characters were one dimensional and uninteresting. The story was just plain dumb. I read about a third of it and then skimmed to the end - and I wouldn't have bothered to do that except that I actually paid good money for this lousy book. The Inheritance, as well as its author, will be going on my "stinker" list.
Niki
May 06, 2012 Niki rated it liked it
The writing was kind of stiff (the author didn't make use of contractions where most people would use them in everyday speech), the story was unrealistic, and modern slang was used in the 1700's flashbacks that wasn't invented yet. But it was an entertaining, quick read with a feel-good ending even if I had to REALLY suspend my disbelief to accept that the main character actually dreamed it.
Jina Howell-Forbes
Mar 29, 2016 Jina Howell-Forbes rated it liked it
This is an interesting story of love in two time periods. Modern day Scotland, and Scotland during the uprising and the battle at Culloden. I liked the book, but the older love story had some really brutal parts. Sometimes realistic is hard to stomach. I also would have like the modern day romance better if it had been covered in more detail.
Stacy Mar
Jan 24, 2016 Stacy Mar rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a fascinating mix between past and present.

Beautifully descriptive, it's a history lesson, a love story and a mystery read all in one!

I couldn't put this book down and can't wait to read more by this author.

You can find my review here:
Jenni
Sep 05, 2012 Jenni rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was a decent book but her writing was very abrupt at times and there was very little fluff. She jumped right into the story from the get go but it was entertaining enough. Another book about Scotland. This one was not a time travel book but went back and forth from present to past.
Jan Summers
Dec 07, 2015 Jan Summers rated it it was ok
I was truly disappointed in this book. To be fair I have been binge reading Susannah Kearsley and the writing paled in comparison. I did give the author another shot with The precious Bones. I thoroughly enjoyed that one so I will pick up another one of her books sometime.
Crystal
Jan 05, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much - there were grammatical errors throughout, however, it was still quite a page turner. I also enjoyed the historical references throughout. I haven't read anything else by Irina Shapiro but will now look for more.
cindy hackney
Jun 16, 2015 cindy hackney rated it it was amazing
Loved it

What a wonderful story! I started and couldn't stop reading. I think you should read it to. It goes back in fourth between the past and the present. A true love story I think.
Kim
Jan 04, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
A good story

We Allergan of a lost grandfather leaving us a castle, or of falling in love. Shapiro allows us to do both in this tale. I wish her characters had a bit more depth, and for more detail in the storyline, but it was an enjoyable read nonetheless.
Loretta
May 26, 2012 Loretta rated it liked it
Good story but again another author who either can't proofread (or hire someone to do it for her). Throughout the story the characters were always "wondering" through places - for example "I wondered through the shops." Just one example of the poor use of words!
Lady Domino
Feb 13, 2012 Lady Domino rated it liked it
The book has promise, BUT it reads like a second draft and feels very unpolished. And as to the link between Isabel and Katie - I still don't know what it was or why was suggested.

If you want to read a book with similar time splits read Barbara Erskine ~ Kingdom of Shadows - a far superior book.
Andrea
Dec 29, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok
Weak writing, weak plot and weak character development.
Marcia Johnson
Dec 28, 2015 Marcia Johnson rated it liked it
Two tales in one but an odd pairing one didn't really have much to do with the other. Could've been tied together better. But romantic tales they were.
Karli Kittine-Ulaszek
Pretty good and was free on Amazon for kindle ! Reminds me of Kate Morton-editing is poor though
Nancy
Nov 17, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I read this book every year and always enjoy it.
Pauline
Jun 02, 2013 Pauline rated it it was ok
The most predictable book I have ever read, thus terribly boring. Too simplistic even for a beach book. Also very poor editing.
freebie 3 3 May 23, 2012 03:08AM
  • T'on Ma
  • Her Master's Touch
  • Celtic Storms (Celtic Steel, #1)
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
  • Zoned for Murder
  • Killer in Sight (A Tom Lackey Mystery, #1)
  • For Love And Honor
  • Discovering Nowhere
  • Francesca of Lost Nation
  • The Island House
  • Enza
  • Simmer All Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #1)
  • Death of a Serpent (Serafina Florio, #1)
I was born in Moscow, Russia during the hight of Communism and "enjoyed" the life of an average Russian child until my family's immigration to the United States in 1982. We settled in Brooklyn, NY where I finished school and then graduated from Bernard M. Baruch College in New York City with a degree in International Business. Despite my business degree, history and travel have always been my pass ...more
More about Irina Shapiro...