Start by marking “Be Witched (Jolie Wilkins, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Be Witched (Jolie Wilkins, #2.5)

Be Witched (Jolie Wilkins #2.5)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  3,478 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
In this sexy and spellbinding original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, bestselling author H. P. Mallory presents the exciting Underworld from a never-before-seen point of view—through the eyes of Rand Balfour, a drop-dead gorgeous warlock and the love of Jolie Wilkins’s life.

While the undead wage a brutal civil war, Rand Balfour has only one thing on his
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Be Witched, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Witched

Lynsey   (A Bookish Life)
A short story in the Jolie Wilkins world told from Rand's POV. It's very short, covering the scenes from book two with the werewolf bite and the near-bonding.

I really didn't get anything new from this novella and wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid money for it, but luckily it was tacked on to the end of The Witch is Back. It's basically just a retelling of events thorough Rand's eyes, but the thing is, unlike other POV snippets where you're dying to get the other person's take on it, I was alr
Paige
Dec 12, 2011 Paige rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own, nook
read Dec. 12, 2011

I had of course heard that Be Witched was told in Rand's point of view and was excited to see a new scene through his eyes, so I was very surprised to find that this was only Rand's point of view of the night he and Jolie almost bonded.

So you get nothing new from this book. It's like Midnight Sun is to Twilight. Yes, it was nice to read it in Rand's point of view, but what was the point? Why rewrite that specific chapter in Rand's point?

I actually though it made Rand sound whi
May 27, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I knew this was a Novella when I started but that didn't stop me wishing it were longer. I loved going back to a couple important scenes from Toil and Trouble and seeing them from Rand's point of view. How he interacts with Sinjin when Jolie is not around, his true feelings for her which we all really knew but are so hard for him to voice to her, I could go on for ages...

I would have loved there to be more! I would also absolutely love a story from Sinjin's point of view, what does that vampire
Karissa
Jan 17, 2012 Karissa rated it really liked it
This was a short Novella that describes the events that take place near the end of the second book of the series but from Rand's point of view. It was a fun read and it was fun to see things from Rand's point of view.

This novella doesn't cover anything new; it just covers part of book 2 but is written from Rand's point of view. It gives some additional insight into why Rand did the things he did and made the decisions he made. Some of Rand's actions which seem a bit mysterious from Jolie's persp
Kristi, A Book Fanatic
Dec 09, 2011 Kristi, A Book Fanatic rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, paranormal
I enjoyed this short novella. Quick look at some scenes from the last Jolie book from Rand's point of view. Cute but not a necessary read for fans of Rand, Sinjin, and Jolie. I am ready for the new installment of the series.
Michelle Tempted By Books
Not really necessary. The story covers events that already happened but from Rand's perspective, was alright but needless.
Misty
Feb 28, 2012 Misty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012, library
Rand's point of view is a nice way to see how he thinks and feels about the situation that went on in toil.and trouble. Love love these books
Josie
Dec 27, 2011 Josie rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books-i-own
I liked reading Rand's point of view. It is always fun to get to read what the other character is thinking. This was his point of view of a very frustrating moment between Rand and Jolie.
Melissa Jones
Dec 15, 2011 Melissa Jones rated it it was amazing
I am a BIG...HUGE H.P. Mallory fan. I have read and Love both her series Dulie O'neil & Jolie Wilkins series. So I may be a little bias here...lol

From Goodreads :

While the undead wage a brutal civil war,
Book Bite Reviews
Sep 25, 2012 Book Bite Reviews rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This novella was from Rands point of view. I didn't need Rand Balfours perspective on his and Jolies relationship. Being her protector and employer, he cared for her a lot, but so far it didn't go any further than that. They weren't lovers because Rand didn't want to Bond with her. It frustrated her and she felt she had no choice but to end their relationship. It all seemed redundant. We knew the whole scoop reading the 2nd book Toil and Trouble anyway.

The whole novella was about the time Jolie
Sandy S
Sep 11, 2012 Sandy S rated it liked it

BE WITCHED (Jolie Wilkins/Rand Balfour novella) by HP Mallory

Sinjin Sinclair and Rand Balfour were now aligned in the war between Bella and the supernatural powers. While recovering from her recent run-in with the Dougal the fairy, fighting for her life as well as the promise of support by King Ordan of the Fae, Jolie was unaware that the vampire and the warlock were in a war of words over the right to claim Jolie as their own.

Rand's feelings for Jolie were confusing. He had refused to claim Jol
Shirley
Jul 31, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
Yep, as soon as I was done with Toil and Trouble I immediately downloaded Be Witched. To be honest, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in both Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble and Toil and Trouble fairly mad at Rand. Sure, Book 2 helped me at least understand where he was coming from and even made me sympathize with him, but I’d still like to smack him for treating Jolie the way he has. I just had no choice but to pick up Be Witched to see if would help me understand him a little better.

So what’s the
Kandice
Dec 09, 2013 Kandice rated it liked it
I have a friend who wanted to "borrow" my Rand stories. Before I transferred them to her I thought I'd read over them again.

I read all of Mallory's books as soon as I can get my hands on them. I have no idea what the appeal is. They aren't especially well written, they're very predictable and sometimes on the verge of silly. Throw in the sappy romantic bits and, really, I should avoid them like the plague. But I don't...go figure. Kind of like popcorn, I guess.

These novellas written from Rand's
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)

I was super excited for this novella, I have been missing The Jolie books and thought it would be a nice treat to get inside Rands head. Plus the cover, oh how I love this cover. Unfortunately this book just did not do it for me. I knew we would be replaying the same things in the last Jolie book but from Rands P.O.V so I don't want to complain to much, I should have known what I was getting into. But I still was just not very impressed. Rand came across way to whiny and now I don't like him as
Elena
Jun 23, 2016 Elena rated it it was ok
This was pretty useless! Written from Rand's POV - ok.. But it was of the near-bonding scene from the last book ... We didn't really learn anything new! We already knew why Rand didn't want to do it, why was it necessary to retell it?!?! Im pretty sure that i got his POV from the book too - it really wasn't that complicated!
On a different note - this novella made Rand sound whiny, needy and insecure! All he ever thinks about is Jolie and Sinjin and obsess over them! He sounds like a pathetic, j
Lorre
Dec 17, 2011 Lorre rated it liked it
Shelves: read-complete
This novella is Rand's point of view during the second book while everyone is preparing for the coming war.
I was really excited when I started. I knew I wouldn't get a new story but was going to see the story from another perspective. I'm sad to say it didn't live up to my expectations.

I thought I would get to see more of who Rand was, but the thoughts I read in this novella were nothing new, just a little more detailed.

Even if my expectations weren't met it was still a nice enough read and it
Jen Stewart
Dec 07, 2011 Jen Stewart rated it liked it
This book felt redundant. It's from Rand's point of view. And even though it's a Novella, so I didn't expect it to go into a LOT of depth, it felt like a duplicate to the last few scenes of book 2 before the battle. I was hoping for more background on Rand. There wasn't any new information or depth given really, than I got from reading the 2nd book in the series. True this was from Rand's point of view, and take from a few thoughts or some brief discussion with Sinjin, it didn't really shed any ...more
Melissa
Aug 27, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've read all of H.P's books and I love them all! This little novella is nothing short of amazing. This novella is from Rand's perspective which neatly rounds out his character for the Jolie Wilkins series. What a great short story that provides more insight into Rand's character. You're not going to get a lot of new material, merely the same storyline from Rand's perspective and why he makes the choices he does. If anything, this paints Sinjin in a more heroic light and you simply want to slap ...more
Stephanie
I really like all of HP Mallory's work, but I was really unimpressed with this novella. Conceptually, it takes us backwards in time from where the "Toil and Trouble" left off. It seemed like this book was all fluff, full of angst and sex but really pointless. Rand seems completely insecure to the point of whiney, both features make him less attractive. We did not learn anything new (other than the fact that Rand is a commitment-phobe) and the novella really didn't contribute anything to the stor ...more
Christy Wilhelm
Feb 26, 2012 Christy Wilhelm rated it liked it

This was an OK read for me. Rand was rather stalker like through the entire book. Considering it's such a short Novella that's pretty impressive. I think I enjoyed the sneak peak for the next book more than anything. Most of the book consisted of Rand jealous of Sin the Vampire and worrying he's hitting on Jolie but not wanting to step up and be the MAN Jolie wanted. The authors writing style is excellent, she's got talent that's obvious. Well, I don't hav
Shannon
Really one short story that take place between two of the books in this series - which I've never read, so not sure of all the details - and a preview for the next book.

Not a horrible intro, but I have no investment in any of the characters or ongoing storyline, so I'm ambivalent at best. Kudos for the author in not going for the rape-y non-consent version of events, it was still trite in a lot of ways, but that simple change meant a lot. I'm going to check out the next book, see if it one I ca
Jan Niblock
Sep 23, 2012 Jan Niblock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: h-p-mallory
This is interesting because Rand is the narrator of this novella. It takes place before the war with Bella. There is a lot of drama as Jolie is almost turned into a Were—Rand has to come to terms that Sinjin is on their side. But the sexual tension that is so much a part of the Jolie-Rand and Jolie-Sinjin is written so well that you are not sure who should win.

What Mallory does so well is having you see the scenes that you have seen through Jolie’s eyes now through Rand’s eyes. It is very inter
Trish
I absolutely ADORE H.P. Mallory and her Jolie Wilkins series. The wait for the 3rd book in the series is AGONIZING--but this little novella has helped...some, lol.
Be Witched is told from Rand's POV and is basically a "refresher" course in what happened in the last book. When you read a series, and as many books as I do, it's great to "catch up" with a novella, so you don't forget the story line.
But H.P. doesn't let us down-This was a great POV and you also get a sneek peak of the next book in th
Feb 12, 2015 Christine rated it liked it
Quick Read

A short read giving Rand's perspective and his feelings during the course of some of the drama surrounding them. While the writing is just as good as the other books, I am not sure that this novella was really needed. It didn't really show any additional insight other than confirming yes he had feelings for her. Maybe it is just because I am the reader, but that wasn't really an unknown. Just because Joliet doesn't get it doesn't mean I didn't lol.
Fleur
Aug 17, 2014 Fleur rated it liked it
So this book was Rand's side of the story and it was clearly refreshing to get the man's side of things but it was really a repeat of the second book. I pretty much figured this was what the man was thinking when she described his reactions minus the crazy dream and the intense feelings he had when he "almost" made it with Jolie but other than that it wasn't really revealing. Granted it makes me laugh a little more knowing the inadequacies of Rand and his inner turmoil.
Jessi
Mar 26, 2012 Jessi rated it liked it
I'm torn. I love H.P. Mallory and I love the Jolie Wilkins series. However, I find myself unenthused by this novella.

I was excited to get a glimpse of things from Rand's point of view. I just didn't realize we would be reliving the events from Toil and Trouble.

As always, I enjoyed the writing. The witticism and sarcasm will never grow old. I was just hoping for a teaser - an in-between, really - that would lead us right into book 3.
Nikki Wilde
Jan 17, 2012 Nikki Wilde rated it liked it
Basically, the first half of book 2 from Rand's perspective. we didn't really learn anything new. we can pretty much gleam Rand's feelings during the actual novel.

I feel like if this had more story from Rand that we can't learn from Jolie that would have been more worthwhile.

I was a bit disappointed with this one. We didn't even learn more about why he hates Sinjin so much. I wanted to learn more.
Trish
Jan 20, 2012 Trish rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying I can never get enough of the amazing tales spun by HP Mallory. I go back and forth with each new release as to what my favorite series is...Dulcie or Jolie? The is a novella from Rand's perspective. I really enjoyed this novella and have re-read this installment several times. Anxiously awaiting the Sinjin novella so we the readers can get inside of his mysterious head! (hint, hint HP)
Mar 02, 2015 Christine rated it did not like it
This novella is written from the character Rand's point of view. It is nothing more than more rehashing of events in book three, which we have already had more than enough of. I definitely didn't need to read more should I, shouldn't I in regards to his relationship with Jolie. The reader learns nothing new in the story line or about the caracters. My advice is to skip and save the time for something else.
Victoria
Jun 27, 2012 Victoria rated it it was amazing
H.P. Mallory is such a witty and fun storyteller! I love her books; mainly because, no matter what I'm going through in my life at the time, they always lift my spirits and make me laugh hysterically in parts. It's easy to become attached to her characters and crave all knowledge of their feelings and experiences. It's not possible to get enough of her stories! I'm an admitted addict of H.P. Mallory's books. :)
  • Ghouls Night Out (Larue Donavan, #2)
  • The Devil: Episode 5 (Sacrifice Me #5)
  • The Hunt Begins (Bishop and the Pixies, #1)
  • Bound by Magic (The Baine Chronicles, #2)
  • Blood from a Stone
  • Witches of Bourbon Street  (Jade Calhoun ,#2)
  • Hotel Hex (Hex, #4.5)
  • Invisible Prison (Alex Noziak #0.5)
  • Unruly Magic (Stella Mayweather, #2)
  • Death Embraces (Mortis, #2)
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • Poison's Kiss (Deadly Beauties, #2)
  • Broom with a View
I started my writing career as a self-published author and was lucky enough to hit both the Amazon and the Barnes and Noble bestseller’s lists with my two series, the Jolie Wilkins series and the Dulcie O’Neil series. Most recently I hit the New York Times and the USA Today lists with books in the Jolie series.

I signed with Random House (Bantam imprint) to write three books in the Jolie Wilkins se
More about H.P. Mallory...

Jolie Wilkins (5 books)
  • Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1)
  • Toil and Trouble (Jolie Wilkins, #2)
  • Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins, #3)
  • The Witch Is Back (Jolie Wilkins, #4)
  • Something Witchy This Way Comes (Jolie Wilkins, #5)