Be Witched (Jolie Wilkins, #2.5)

Be Witched (Jolie Wilkins #2.5)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,584 ratings  ·  115 reviews
In this sexy and spellbinding original short story, available exclusively as an eBook, bestselling author H. P. Mallory presents the exciting Underworld from a never-before-seen point of view—through the eyes of Rand Balfour, a drop-dead gorgeous warlock and the love of Jolie Wilkins’s life.

While the undead wage a brutal civil war, Rand Balfour has only one thing on his...more
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Be Witched, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Witched

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessShadow of Night by Deborah HarknessGirl's Guide to Witchcraft by Mindy KlaskyThe Witch's Daughter by Paula BrackstonFire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. Mallory
Fire Burn And Cauldron Bubble
8th out of 78 books — 26 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice DavidsonOne Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene FrostFirst Grave on the Right by Darynda JonesDestined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost
Best Funny Paranormal Romances
223rd out of 497 books — 976 voters

More lists with this book...

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
A short story in the Jolie Wilkins world told from Rand's POV. It's very short, covering the scenes from book two with the werewolf bite and the near-bonding.

I really didn't get anything new from this novella and wouldn't have been happy if I'd paid money for it, but luckily it was tacked on to the end of The Witch is Back. It's basically just a retelling of events thorough Rand's eyes, but the thing is, unlike other POV snippets where you're dying to get the other person's take on it, I was alr...more
Christine
I knew this was a Novella when I started but that didn't stop me wishing it were longer. I loved going back to a couple important scenes from Toil and Trouble and seeing them from Rand's point of view. How he interacts with Sinjin when Jolie is not around, his true feelings for her which we all really knew but are so hard for him to voice to her, I could go on for ages...

I would have loved there to be more! I would also absolutely love a story from Sinjin's point of view, what does that vampire...more
Karissa
This was a short Novella that describes the events that take place near the end of the second book of the series but from Rand's point of view. It was a fun read and it was fun to see things from Rand's point of view.

This novella doesn't cover anything new; it just covers part of book 2 but is written from Rand's point of view. It gives some additional insight into why Rand did the things he did and made the decisions he made. Some of Rand's actions which seem a bit mysterious from Jolie's persp...more
Paige
read Dec. 12, 2011

I had of course heard that Be Witched was told in Rand's point of view and was excited to see a new scene through his eyes, so I was very surprised to find that this was only Rand's point of view of the night he and Jolie almost bonded.

So you get nothing new from this book. It's like Midnight Sun is to Twilight. Yes, it was nice to read it in Rand's point of view, but what was the point? Why rewrite that specific chapter in Rand's point?

I actually though it made Rand sound whi...more
Kristi, A Book Fanatic
I enjoyed this short novella. Quick look at some scenes from the last Jolie book from Rand's point of view. Cute but not a necessary read for fans of Rand, Sinjin, and Jolie. I am ready for the new installment of the series.
Josie
I liked reading Rand's point of view. It is always fun to get to read what the other character is thinking. This was his point of view of a very frustrating moment between Rand and Jolie.
Misty
Rand's point of view is a nice way to see how he thinks and feels about the situation that went on in toil.and trouble. Love love these books
Kandice
I have a friend who wanted to "borrow" my Rand stories. Before I transferred them to her I thought I'd read over them again.

I read all of Mallory's books as soon as I can get my hands on them. I have no idea what the appeal is. They aren't especially well written, they're very predictable and sometimes on the verge of silly. Throw in the sappy romantic bits and, really, I should avoid them like the plague. But I don't...go figure. Kind of like popcorn, I guess.

These novellas written from Rand's...more
Jackie
This novella was from Rands point of view. I didn't need Rand Balfours perspective on his and Jolies relationship. Being her protector and employer, he cared for her a lot, but so far it didn't go any further than that. They weren't lovers because Rand didn't want to Bond with her. It frustrated her and she felt she had no choice but to end their relationship. It all seemed redundant. We knew the whole scoop reading the 2nd book Toil and Trouble anyway.

The whole novella was about the time Jolie...more
Shirley
Yep, as soon as I was done with Toil and Trouble I immediately downloaded Be Witched. To be honest, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in both Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble and Toil and Trouble fairly mad at Rand. Sure, Book 2 helped me at least understand where he was coming from and even made me sympathize with him, but I’d still like to smack him for treating Jolie the way he has. I just had no choice but to pick up Be Witched to see if would help me understand him a little better.

So what’s the...more
Sandy

BE WITCHED (Jolie Wilkins/Rand Balfour novella) by HP Mallory

Sinjin Sinclair and Rand Balfour were now aligned in the war between Bella and the supernatural powers. While recovering from her recent run-in with the Dougal the fairy, fighting for her life as well as the promise of support by King Ordan of the Fae, Jolie was unaware that the vampire and the warlock were in a war of words over the right to claim Jolie as their own.

Rand's feelings for Jolie were confusing. He had refused to claim Jol...more
Melissa Jones
I am a BIG...HUGE H.P. Mallory fan. I have read and Love both her series Dulie O'neil & Jolie Wilkins series. So I may be a little bias here...lol

From Goodreads :

While the undead wage a brutal civil war,...more
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)

I was super excited for this novella, I have been missing The Jolie books and thought it would be a nice treat to get inside Rands head. Plus the cover, oh how I love this cover. Unfortunately this book just did not do it for me. I knew we would be replaying the same things in the last Jolie book but from Rands P.O.V so I don't want to complain to much, I should have known what I was getting into. But I still was just not very impressed. Rand came across way to whiny and now I don't like him as...more
Fleur
So this book was Rand's side of the story and it was clearly refreshing to get the man's side of things but it was really a repeat of the second book. I pretty much figured this was what the man was thinking when she described his reactions minus the crazy dream and the intense feelings he had when he "almost" made it with Jolie but other than that it wasn't really revealing. Granted it makes me laugh a little more knowing the inadequacies of Rand and his inner turmoil.
Dcf260
Jolie is like the blond in a horror movie who goes into the basement alone. I keep expecting her character to grow or even grow up but that isn't happening. She just keeps going in circles and I'm getting dizzy. I'm giving up on the series.
*flora*
Ok so yes I did enjoy this story, it gave me a glimpse into Rand's inner workings.
The story was set during the weeks before the big battle that we'd read in Book 2.
Have I changed my feelings towards Rand? Not really his black & white standards, stubborness & over protective nature still annoy me.
Jen Stewart
This book felt redundant. It's from Rand's point of view. And even though it's a Novella, so I didn't expect it to go into a LOT of depth, it felt like a duplicate to the last few scenes of book 2 before the battle. I was hoping for more background on Rand. There wasn't any new information or depth given really, than I got from reading the 2nd book in the series. True this was from Rand's point of view, and take from a few thoughts or some brief discussion with Sinjin, it didn't really shed any...more
Melissa
I've read all of H.P's books and I love them all! This little novella is nothing short of amazing. This novella is from Rand's perspective which neatly rounds out his character for the Jolie Wilkins series. What a great short story that provides more insight into Rand's character. You're not going to get a lot of new material, merely the same storyline from Rand's perspective and why he makes the choices he does. If anything, this paints Sinjin in a more heroic light and you simply want to slap...more
Lorre
This novella is Rand's point of view during the second book while everyone is preparing for the coming war.
I was really excited when I started. I knew I wouldn't get a new story but was going to see the story from another perspective. I'm sad to say it didn't live up to my expectations.

I thought I would get to see more of who Rand was, but the thoughts I read in this novella were nothing new, just a little more detailed.

Even if my expectations weren't met it was still a nice enough read and it...more
Tanya
Mar 24, 2014 Tanya added it
Interesting that she wrote about the story from a different character's perspective. I enjoyed it.
Stephanie
I really like all of HP Mallory's work, but I was really unimpressed with this novella. Conceptually, it takes us backwards in time from where the "Toil and Trouble" left off. It seemed like this book was all fluff, full of angst and sex but really pointless. Rand seems completely insecure to the point of whiney, both features make him less attractive. We did not learn anything new (other than the fact that Rand is a commitment-phobe) and the novella really didn't contribute anything to the stor...more
Christy Wilhelm

This was an OK read for me. Rand was rather stalker like through the entire book. Considering it's such a short Novella that's pretty impressive. I think I enjoyed the sneak peak for the next book more than anything. Most of the book consisted of Rand jealous of Sin the Vampire and worrying he's hitting on Jolie but not wanting to step up and be the MAN Jolie wanted. The authors writing style is excellent, she's got talent that's obvious. Well, I don't hav...more
Seana
terrible damsel in distress crap, avoid like the plague!
Jan Niblock
This is interesting because Rand is the narrator of this novella. It takes place before the war with Bella. There is a lot of drama as Jolie is almost turned into a Were—Rand has to come to terms that Sinjin is on their side. But the sexual tension that is so much a part of the Jolie-Rand and Jolie-Sinjin is written so well that you are not sure who should win.

What Mallory does so well is having you see the scenes that you have seen through Jolie’s eyes now through Rand’s eyes. It is very inter...more
Trish
I absolutely ADORE H.P. Mallory and her Jolie Wilkins series. The wait for the 3rd book in the series is AGONIZING--but this little novella has helped...some, lol.
Be Witched is told from Rand's POV and is basically a "refresher" course in what happened in the last book. When you read a series, and as many books as I do, it's great to "catch up" with a novella, so you don't forget the story line.
But H.P. doesn't let us down-This was a great POV and you also get a sneek peak of the next book in th...more
Darlene Chisholm
Cute little story. It was nice to get Rand's perspective on his feelings.
Jessi
I'm torn. I love H.P. Mallory and I love the Jolie Wilkins series. However, I find myself unenthused by this novella.

I was excited to get a glimpse of things from Rand's point of view. I just didn't realize we would be reliving the events from Toil and Trouble.

As always, I enjoyed the writing. The witticism and sarcasm will never grow old. I was just hoping for a teaser - an in-between, really - that would lead us right into book 3.
Betsy
I enjoy other POV's, so it was fun to give more depth to Jolie's story. I have never been a big fan of Rand and this novella didn't change anything for me. His stiffness definitely translated in a lack of juice and humor in this novella, which probably made for a true narrative but somewhat dull reading. Ultimately I hope that Jolie finds another path --I do not like hot and cold in characters. Team Sinjin all the way.
Nikki Wilde
Basically, the first half of book 2 from Rand's perspective. we didn't really learn anything new. we can pretty much gleam Rand's feelings during the actual novel.

I feel like if this had more story from Rand that we can't learn from Jolie that would have been more worthwhile.

I was a bit disappointed with this one. We didn't even learn more about why he hates Sinjin so much. I wanted to learn more.
  • Ghouls Night Out (Larue Donavan, #2)
  • Hotel Hex (Hex, #4.5)
  • Witches of Bourbon Street
  • Halfway Hexed (Southern Witch, #3)
  • Baehrly Beginning (Goldie Locke and the Were Bears 0.5)
  • Ties That Bind (The Bellum Sisters, #3)
  • Unruly Magic (Stella Mayweather, #2)
  • Witch Way (Magical Holiday Tales, #1)
  • Bound to Remember (Spellbound, #1)
  • Pixie Dust (Karli Lane, #1)
  • Swamp Team 3 (Miss Fortune Mystery, #4)
  • Broom with a View
  • Vampire Games (Vampire For Hire, #6)
I started my writing career as a self-published author and was lucky enough to hit both the Amazon and the Barnes and Noble bestseller’s lists with my two series, the Jolie Wilkins series and the Dulcie O’Neil series. Most recently I hit the New York Times and the USA Today lists with books in the Jolie series.

I signed with Random House (Bantam imprint) to write three books in the Jolie Wilkins se...more
More about H.P. Mallory...
Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1) To Kill A Warlock (Dulcie O'Neil, #1) Toil and Trouble (Jolie Wilkins, #2) A Tale of Two Goblins (Dulcie O'Neil, #2) Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins, #3)