Start by marking “What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest” as Want to Read:
What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest

What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest (What Zombies Fear #1)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  597 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
When Victor Tookes went to work that beautiful spring day he never expected to see a man eaten in the street in front of his office. After convincing himself that they really were zombies, he makes a trip from his house in Pennsylvania to his family home in Virginia, battling zombies all the way. His three and a half year old son was bitten on the leg, but doesn't turn int ...more
Published (first published September 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What Zombies Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Zombies Fear

Odium by Claire C. RileyOdium Origins. A Dead Saga novella. Part One by Claire C. RileyOdium II by Claire C. RileyIn Harm's Way by Shawn ChesserAllegiance by Shawn Chesser
Summer of Zombie 2014
50th out of 158 books — 61 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
475th out of 1,042 books — 2,572 voters

More lists with this book...

Angela
Interesting premise in a mass of zombie literature but unfortunately I did not like this short story as much as I anticipated.

Allmond's writing is good (though there were still quite a few spelling errors and grammatical errors throughout) but I didn't like the general 'tone' of this story.

I hated the protagonist, Victor Tookes. He was overly cocky and annoying and quite frankly he just grated on me. His personality change was so swift as well, he went from humble loving father and husband one
Janene
May 01, 2012 Janene rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one, unless you don't mind poor or no editing.
If there is one thing that I cannot stand, it is taking the time to choose a particular book, out of thousands (its like an author winning a lottery, in my world!), and find that the author did not care enough about their readers to bother having the book edited. Then edited again. It insults me, both as a reader and as a beta-reader. That is the case with 'What Zombies Fear.'

Kirk Allmond took an idea, that was really quite original, and got lazy. I made it to 66% in my Kindle, highlighting eve
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)

Review:
I bought this book Free on Amazon a few weeks back, it was about Zombies and had a pretty good rating, so really why not give it a shot. Well let me tell you, I am so glad that I did. What Zombies Fear is a really unique take on your run of the mill Zombie Apocalypse. These Zombies are more parasitic then plague driven and that is pretty cool to see.

The Story starts out following a pencil pusher named Viktor, he says goodbye to his wife and son and heads out to start the day just like doz
Kristal Cooper
Jul 22, 2012 Kristal Cooper rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, there's nothing really new here. I hoped it would be about the kid, but apparently what zombies fear is a bunch of dudes with a massive arsenal. Also unfortunately, I got my copy before the latest revisions, so I had to suffer through terrible grammar, punctuation and spelling. Note to would-be self-publishers: PLEASE get someone else to read your work before sending it out to the world! Childish writing mistakes REALLY distract from your storytelling!
Victor
May 22, 2012 Victor rated it it was amazing
This is a great story. The main character is cocky, he takes his friends for granted, and he's self absorbed. Throughout this book he learns that he can't do it all on his own. Without his friends and family he is nothing.

The twist on zombies is fun. This is not a zombie story I've ever read before, crossing "The Road" with "Day of the Dead". In the end it's super humans vs. super zombies, and the battles are epic. Mr. Allmond writes action as well as any I've read.

There are some areas for impro
Denise
Sep 20, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing
Loved the book!
I think the characters were awesome and fit in completely with the story line. Tookes, one of the main characters, I liked.(unlike some other reviewers). He took in this situation as probably many faced in it would. He took charge and did what he felt he needed for protection of his son, family and friends.
What I would have like to have known was the back story - why this outbreak happened, what the government was doing? (Well, more parts to this story for me to read - so I may fi
Kirsten Lenius
Jun 18, 2012 Kirsten Lenius rated it it was ok
This story had real potential as an original zombie horror tale... it was sunk by bad editing... the typos alone were enough to keep jolting me away from what could have been an interesting read, though I'm not particularly partial to zombie smooshage.

Liz
May 03, 2012 Liz rated it liked it
Could have been a good book if not for all the typos, "filler" paragraphs with nothing important said and a maybe a little more character development. I love zombies, but probably won't read the next books because of writing style.
Jason Pfeffer
Jun 19, 2012 Jason Pfeffer rated it did not like it
Don't believe these reviews. This thing is the biggest piece of sophomoric crap ever written. Avoid at all costs!
Mel
Sep 07, 2012 Mel rated it it was ok
Leslie Callahan
May 21, 2013 Leslie Callahan rated it it was ok
The book started out good but went weird fast. The whole idea of super smart and super fast zombies was/is hard to accept. The main characters and their superhero characteristics was too far on the sci-fi and unexplainable for me.
Since when does an “office” worker that makes excel spreadsheets turn GI Joe/Rambo/aura reading, zombie killing machine in 4 months?!
The author told us that the main characters loved each other like a family but I never felt that relationship develop during the book. I
Tom Boshell
Jan 16, 2013 Tom Boshell rated it really liked it
Picked this up as an Amazon free book and it was pretty good, not a well polished book but that is what I expect in such cases. More of a one-man-story...kinda a coming-of-age type with a +30yr character that comes into powers. The people just start following him because first there is nothing better to do and then for their super-powers. It sounds a bit silly as a write about it (sorry), but it was an enjoyable, quick read. There are 3 zombie types: normal (Romero style), smart (seem human, enh ...more
Jenni
Apr 10, 2013 Jenni rated it really liked it
Although the prose is a bit stilted the overall story line is very quickly moved along, and quite frankly, addicting! I have held out on the zombie craze thus far, but after finding this book free for my Kindle I have quickly added the remaining books and am tearing through them at the pace of Leo in the midst of a zombie horde!! I highly recommend this series to people who want a break from reality and want to submerge themselves in a post-apocolyptic world where they can imagine themselves the ...more
Irving Drinkwine
May 03, 2015 Irving Drinkwine rated it really liked it
I read many different Sci-Fi sub-genres and right night I'm blowing through the subgenre of Zombies and Zombie Apocalypses. I have read many of this subgenre and I found WZF: A Father's Quest - as well as the next 2 books in the series to be very enjoyable. I'm starting on book 4 now, but I expect it to be just as entertaining. I'll read books 5 & 6 as shortly.
If you are looking for a book that will inspire you to change your life and join the Peace Corps, this is not it. If you are looking
Boring Warrior
Oct 08, 2014 Boring Warrior rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this book because of the many good reviews it has received, but I ended with being terribly disappointed. This book was so bad in so many ways. The characters are one-dimensional, the story is episodic, the hero is smug, and the dialog is actually among the worst I've ever read. I honestly couldn't get through this fast enough.

It's based on an interesting premise that is never really explored or explained beyond the hero thinking, "Huh. This must be genetic." Then he aba
Shana Festa
Apr 10, 2014 Shana Festa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victor Tookes is an embodiment of every family man you know. He is average, Sponge Bob witty, works hard, and loves his family. Everything he does, he does for his wife and child. What started as a normal day turned no into less than a nightmare, when Tookes, only wanting his toasted bagel, witnesses the horror to the beginning of the end.

What Zombies Fear takes place right here, right now in this society. Tookes (As he is called by his friends) isn’t dumbfounded by the presence of rising dead,
Kelly
May 15, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
While the idea was interesting, the writing was a bit choppy and the ending felt almost too easy. I'm all for endings that tie up all the loose threads but I want the characters to work for it, not have a mystical happening swoop down to end the conflict.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up on 04/24/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Bonnie
Sep 05, 2013 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I've read it twice now and I've just started on the second book in the series. I love Leo I think she's a great character and very important to the story line. I also really like the new perspective on zombies and what causes a person to become a zombie. Very very interesting twist. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Heather
Nov 24, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Terri Weitze
Jul 29, 2015 Terri Weitze rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of zombie genre, although there are exceptions (like Seanan McGuire's series), and I will now have to add this series to my exceptions. This is a well-thought out version of zombie apocalypse. There is one huge gimme that I can live with - what happens when you get splattered with zombie goop but you don't die. Creates a whole new kind of story. The good guys are clearly the good guys in this book, and the bad guys are, for the most part, zombies. There is enough conflict and ...more
Daisy Griffin
Apr 28, 2012 Daisy Griffin rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. He did a great job of developing the zombies & evolving the storyline of the father/son relationship. I did find a few typos and the love interest was kinda half-done. Overall, however, a very enjoyable read.
Jan Oakley
Jul 26, 2012 Jan Oakley rated it it was amazing
I love this series. It's a new take on the zombie genre. The cause of the outbreak is an interesting one--resulting in all types of zombies. I've read the first four and they were all good. Looks like it was set up for a fifth...can't wait!
Amber Rose (Rose Reviews)
May 12, 2015 Amber Rose (Rose Reviews) rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Kirk Allmond puts such a unique spin on the world of zombies, I couldn't put my copy down.

It's a normal day at the office for Victor Tookes. That is, until he witnesses a guy attack someone on the street and start to eat them. Chaos breaks out and Victor rushes to pick up his son, three and a half year old Max, from daycare and get home to start preparing for the zombie apocalypse. His son gets bitten, however, but doesn't end up turning into a mindless zombie like they expec
Jonathan Pettit
Dec 31, 2012 Jonathan Pettit rated it really liked it
Interesting twists to the zombie novels. Some of the super zed powers are a bit over the top but it was still a fun read.
KristenR
Oct 25, 2014 KristenR rated it really liked it
Ahhhh...I love zombies....I truly do...and this was just a fun, action filled zombie story. Read it in one sitting.
Robert
It started out as a weird twist on a zombie tale, but it quickly developed into something more unique and a possibly refreshing take on the zombie genre. Not all of these zombies are mindless, shuffling undead. This version presents advanced or super zombies which are stronger, smarter and intelligent to the point of leading the other zombies in an offense against the survivors. In another twist, some survivors are immune to the effects of the zombie bite while some of those actually gain enhanc ...more
Shinez
Jul 20, 2014 Shinez rated it it was ok
I can't help but feel that this book would have done better sticking to human vs human apocalypse drama. Because to be honest that's how it read most of the time. The zombies were controlled by super zombies that were written like human characters. They could talk, think and plan... Super powers...different twist, but it just didn't blend well for me.

The author had a great concept, but I wish he had stuck to humans with powers vs humans with powers then zombies as another threat. I think that w
Tanya
Feb 17, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombie, kindle
Good new take on zombies
BigJohn
Sep 15, 2015 BigJohn rated it did not like it
Shelves: e-books
I got this book for free a few years ago. As such, I still want my money back. This is yet another example of a pretty decent story ruined by amateurish storytelling and lack of editing. I almost gave up on this book entirely, but was curious enough to see how the story ended. There are at least three more books in this series that I will be sure to avoid.

The author switches between past and present tense, indiscriminately and abruptly. There are endless confused homophones throughout the book (
Yvette Karns
Apr 09, 2015 Yvette Karns rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOONE
Shelves: read-2014
Still reading but not very good. I am halfway done. One minute, Tookes meets survivors during his journey to his moms house, then the next it has been a few months. This book does not really flow smoothly but it is still an ok read. As I said, still reading so will leave a later update as to how it ends.

All I have to say is what a waste of time. I thought this was going to be a good book as I love vampires, witches, warewolves and ZOMBIES. This book was just not good. I reread and did finish thi
  • The Boat
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Dead Things
  • Dead, but Not for Long
  • Desolation
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • Cold Faith and Zombies
  • Extinction Level (Secret Apocalypse Book 2)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
  • Zombiestan
  • Year One (Living with the Dead #1-2)
  • Atticus for the Undead
  • Sven the Zombie Slayer
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • Fire
Kirk Allmond: Author, Zombie Expert, Survivalist, Teacher.
Kirk Allmond takes on all aspects of zombies. This isn’t just a vocation, it’s a passion. In 2006, The Zombie Preparedness Initiative was formed as a global project to prepare the world for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Or, whatever disaster may occur. The Zombie Preparedness Initiative, or ZPI, is unique in that it connects zombie lite
More about Kirk Allmond...

What Zombies Fear (6 books)
  • What Zombies Fear: The Maxists
  • What Zombies Fear: The Gathering
  • What Zombies Fear: Fracture
  • What Zombies Fear: Declaration of War
  • The Incarnation (What Zombies Fear #6)