What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest

What Zombies Fear: A Father's Quest (What Zombies Fear #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  58 reviews
When Victor Tookes went to work that beautiful spring day he never expected to see a man eaten in the street in front of his office. After convincing himself that they really were zombies, he makes a trip from his house in Pennsylvania to his family home in Virginia, battling zombies all the way. His three and a half year old son was bitten on the leg, but doesn't turn int...more
Published (first published September 8th 2011)

Angela
Interesting premise in a mass of zombie literature but unfortunately I did not like this short story as much as I anticipated.

Allmond's writing is good (though there were still quite a few spelling errors and grammatical errors throughout) but I didn't like the general 'tone' of this story.

I hated the protagonist, Victor Tookes. He was overly cocky and annoying and quite frankly he just grated on me. His personality change was so swift as well, he went from humble loving father and husband one...more
Janene
May 01, 2012 Janene rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: No one, unless you don't mind poor or no editing.
If there is one thing that I cannot stand, it is taking the time to choose a particular book, out of thousands (its like an author winning a lottery, in my world!), and find that the author did not care enough about their readers to bother having the book edited. Then edited again. It insults me, both as a reader and as a beta-reader. That is the case with 'What Zombies Fear.'

Kirk Allmond took an idea, that was really quite original, and got lazy. I made it to 66% in my Kindle, highlighting eve...more
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)

Review:
I bought this book Free on Amazon a few weeks back, it was about Zombies and had a pretty good rating, so really why not give it a shot. Well let me tell you, I am so glad that I did. What Zombies Fear is a really unique take on your run of the mill Zombie Apocalypse. These Zombies are more parasitic then plague driven and that is pretty cool to see.

The Story starts out following a pencil pusher named Viktor, he says goodbye to his wife and son and heads out to start the day just like doz...more
Kristal Cooper
Unfortunately, there's nothing really new here. I hoped it would be about the kid, but apparently what zombies fear is a bunch of dudes with a massive arsenal. Also unfortunately, I got my copy before the latest revisions, so I had to suffer through terrible grammar, punctuation and spelling. Note to would-be self-publishers: PLEASE get someone else to read your work before sending it out to the world! Childish writing mistakes REALLY distract from your storytelling!
Victor
This is a great story. The main character is cocky, he takes his friends for granted, and he's self absorbed. Throughout this book he learns that he can't do it all on his own. Without his friends and family he is nothing.

The twist on zombies is fun. This is not a zombie story I've ever read before, crossing "The Road" with "Day of the Dead". In the end it's super humans vs. super zombies, and the battles are epic. Mr. Allmond writes action as well as any I've read.

There are some areas for impro...more
Denise
Loved the book!
I think the characters were awesome and fit in completely with the story line. Tookes, one of the main characters, I liked.(unlike some other reviewers). He took in this situation as probably many faced in it would. He took charge and did what he felt he needed for protection of his son, family and friends.
What I would have like to have known was the back story - why this outbreak happened, what the government was doing? (Well, more parts to this story for me to read - so I may fi...more
Kirsten Lenius
This story had real potential as an original zombie horror tale... it was sunk by bad editing... the typos alone were enough to keep jolting me away from what could have been an interesting read, though I'm not particularly partial to zombie smooshage.

Liz
Could have been a good book if not for all the typos, "filler" paragraphs with nothing important said and a maybe a little more character development. I love zombies, but probably won't read the next books because of writing style.
Mel
Leslie Callahan
The book started out good but went weird fast. The whole idea of super smart and super fast zombies was/is hard to accept. The main characters and their superhero characteristics was too far on the sci-fi and unexplainable for me.
Since when does an “office” worker that makes excel spreadsheets turn GI Joe/Rambo/aura reading, zombie killing machine in 4 months?!
The author told us that the main characters loved each other like a family but I never felt that relationship develop during the book. I...more
Tom Boshell
Picked this up as an Amazon free book and it was pretty good, not a well polished book but that is what I expect in such cases. More of a one-man-story...kinda a coming-of-age type with a +30yr character that comes into powers. The people just start following him because first there is nothing better to do and then for their super-powers. It sounds a bit silly as a write about it (sorry), but it was an enjoyable, quick read. There are 3 zombie types: normal (Romero style), smart (seem human, enh...more
Jenni
Although the prose is a bit stilted the overall story line is very quickly moved along, and quite frankly, addicting! I have held out on the zombie craze thus far, but after finding this book free for my Kindle I have quickly added the remaining books and am tearing through them at the pace of Leo in the midst of a zombie horde!! I highly recommend this series to people who want a break from reality and want to submerge themselves in a post-apocolyptic world where they can imagine themselves the...more
Shana Festa
Victor Tookes is an embodiment of every family man you know. He is average, Sponge Bob witty, works hard, and loves his family. Everything he does, he does for his wife and child. What started as a normal day turned no into less than a nightmare, when Tookes, only wanting his toasted bagel, witnesses the horror to the beginning of the end.

What Zombies Fear takes place right here, right now in this society. Tookes (As he is called by his friends) isn’t dumbfounded by the presence of rising dead,...more
Kelly
While the idea was interesting, the writing was a bit choppy and the ending felt almost too easy. I'm all for endings that tie up all the loose threads but I want the characters to work for it, not have a mystical happening swoop down to end the conflict.

This book was a free Kindle download I picked up on 04/24/12 for the Why Buy the Cow? reading challenge.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Bonnie
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! I've read it twice now and I've just started on the second book in the series. I love Leo I think she's a great character and very important to the story line. I also really like the new perspective on zombies and what causes a person to become a zombie. Very very interesting twist. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Heather
Daisy Griffin
I really enjoyed this book. He did a great job of developing the zombies & evolving the storyline of the father/son relationship. I did find a few typos and the love interest was kinda half-done. Overall, however, a very enjoyable read.
Jan Oakley
I love this series. It's a new take on the zombie genre. The cause of the outbreak is an interesting one--resulting in all types of zombies. I've read the first four and they were all good. Looks like it was set up for a fifth...can't wait!
Jonathan Pettit
Interesting twists to the zombie novels. Some of the super zed powers are a bit over the top but it was still a fun read.
Jason Pfeffer
Don't believe these reviews. This thing is the biggest piece of sophomoric crap ever written. Avoid at all costs!
KristenR
Ahhhh...I love zombies....I truly do...and this was just a fun, action filled zombie story. Read it in one sitting.
Tanya
Good new take on zombies
Joline Novy
I finished this book 2 days ago and never did a review because I jumped right into the 2nd book! I know how important reviews are for self-published authors and thought I'd take a break from book 2 and give, What Zombies Fear; A Fathers Quest, a review.

I really enjoyed this story. The Zpoc begins pretty much the same way it does in most books of this variety, quickly and very unexpectedly. One minute, Victor Tookes is at work, and the next minute, he's watching people attack and eat people. His...more
D. John Watson
What if you were bitten by a zombie and lived? What if not all zombies were the mindless brain munching creatures of the movies? What if there were smart zombies? This is the world that Victor Tooks finds himself in from the moment pedestrian is attacked on the street outside a cafe window by what looks like a drunk. Not just attacked but eaten. And then the victim returns to life. From there, the ride gets a whole lot worse.
What ensues is a wild ride where Victor and his son Max are confronted...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
The following review is my opinion and not a paid review. I picked up What Zombies Fear as a free download from Amazon.

Victor Tookes (Tookes as he is called) woke up on a beautiful spring day and headed off to work. On his way there he dropped his three year old son Max off at day care. Upon his arrival at work he saw a man being eaten alive. At first he had no clue as to what was going on. Then he convinced himself that what he was thinking was true he was seeing zombies.

After he realized what...more
Rosann
at 51 percent in...I just couldnt continue reading this book. I did like how the author kept the "action" in the book, kept up that pace rather well.

What I did find very hard to believe was not so much zombies with super"hero" type strength, but more the zombies walking around with weapons guarding areas, eating from cans of food, talking, and even having the ability of ESP.
And, lets mention the 3 year old character who was bitten, while the virus didnt take affect... it did leave him with a m...more
Madison Keller
This book starts out interesting but goes downhill fast. First, this book badly needed an editor.

Second, I could not get scared of smart zombies. Especially when the prospect of being bit seems to be you get amazing superpowers.

Why do all the zombies want this kid so bad? And if they can pass as human, why do they wreck cities and bring down civilization?

Third, the author is clearly a gun nut, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but he shows off his knowledge at every opportunity and incl...more
Kathy
Disclaimer: I won this book.

This story was good. Unfortunately, the book had many grammar and a few spelling errors throughout. I choose to believe the errors were made by the character typing the book. (It has been 12 years since he used a laptop, but for someone who remembers he used to type 115 words per minute, he should also know that quality counts. Maybe my high school teachers were stricter than his.) I would like to read the rest of the series and learn the answers to open storylines, b...more
Helena Sheibler
Wooden, sometimes startlingly bad writing.

Way more details about a V8 engine than the reader wants to know, (It's a zombie book, no ones needs every single detail about the car. Really.)

A protagonist who carries his wife's body around in a oversized Tupperware bin, ("I'll grieve later.") and is ogling a much younger woman's breasts a scant few pages after the death of said wife. (No humor or irony employed.)

A toddler completely unconcerned about his mother's grisly death before his eyes.

This...more
Natasha
Smart Zombies? √
Fast Zombies? √
Teleporting Zombies? √
Flying Zombies? √
Zombies that can pass as humans? √
Blood & gore? √

This book has everything you could fear about zombies AND MORE!! Zombies that shuffle along slowly are scary, yeah.. But how about a zombie that teleport or fly or run so fast it's at your throat in the blink of an eye?!
This book also has people that are IMMUNE to zombie virus.. When they get bit, they get these superpowers.
This books is a MUST READ!
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Arisen, Book One - Fortress Britain
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga
  • Out of Darkness (The Starborn Saga, #1)
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • Ravage
  • The Zombie Chronicles (Apocalypse Infection Unleashed #1)
  • Dead, but Not for Long
  • White Flag of The Dead
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Zombie Day Care (Impact, #1)
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • No Easy Hope (Surviving the Dead)
  • I Zombie I (I Zombie, #1)
Kirk Allmond: Author, Zombie Expert, Survivalist, Teacher.
Kirk Allmond takes on all aspects of zombies. This isn’t just a vocation, it’s a passion. In 2006, The Zombie Preparedness Initiative was formed as a global project to prepare the world for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Or, whatever disaster may occur. The Zombie Preparedness Initiative, or ZPI, is unique in that it connects zombie lite...more
More about Kirk Allmond...
What Zombies Fear: The Maxists What Zombies Fear: The Gathering What Zombies Fear: Fracture Declaration of War The Farmer's Daughter