Start by marking “The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way” as Want to Read:
The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way

The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Many people want to grow fruit on a small scale but lack the insight to be successful orchardists. Growing tree fruits and berries is something virtually anyone with space and passionate desire can do - given wise guidance and a personal commitment to observe the teachings of the trees. A holistic grower knows that producing fruit is not about manipulating nature but more ...more
Published March 1st 2012 by Chelsea Green Publishing Co (first published January 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Holistic Orchard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holistic Orchard

Adam
[I just finished the first 167 pages of the book - the rest is on specifics of diseases and varieties that I don't find relevant in my journey as an orcharder yet, and certainly not in bulk, all at once.]

I walked into Michael Phillips' talk at the MOSES Organic Farming Conference without much interest in orcharding. I knew we had one at school, but I'dn't been very interested in it. Phillips' talk didn't spur me to be interested in orcharding, but it did strike me as among the most wise and arti
Bossy Acres
Despite a wealth of information available about grafting, soil health, tree planting and pruning, there's one major area of orchard management that's tough for any beginner to learn: confidence. That's where Michael Phillips comes in. As a farmer in northern New Hampshire, he provides gentle-but-sure advice on holistic orchards in a way that's encouraging and valuable.

Beginning with a fascinating explanation of forest-edge ecology—which defines where fruit trees thrive best—Phillips moves into t
Justin  K. Rivers
It really is the best book you can get on the subject. When his book The Apple Grower came out a few years ago, it was a big deal. This is bigger, the culmination of a lot of that work.

Phillips' book is dense, packed with charts, photos, diagrams, information, and lots of detailed footnotes. His holistic orchard systems methodology can be applied to pretty much any growing scenario, and is geared toward a permanent, long-term system balance.

He spends most of his time on apples. They're one of
Danni
The information and quality of this book makes me wish I had bought it in hardback copy instead of just an ebook. I really feel like it gives me a beginner working on bringing back an abandoned orchard all the primer skills I need. I'm sure I will be referencing this year after year. The only thing that I struggled with is the third of the book isn't as clearly organized as later on. The author tries to stress the importance of "holistic" care. I think many wonderful points are made. It was just ...more
Rorie Kirk
This is actually an encyclopedia! I'll confess I didn't read the entire thing, I skimmed through to the parts that pertain to my current fruit-scape situation, but I am very impressed with this book. Every subject is covered thoroughly and written in a way to make this an easier read and enjoyable with the author's bits of humor.
Anna
The Holistic Orchard is a dense book --- I was very glad to read it slowly over the course of a couple of months rather than trying to take in all of the facts and ideas right away. But it's worth reading for anyone who wants to grow fruits without lots of chemicals. Understanding how the tree ecosystem works allows you to tweak your fertilizing, mulching, and pest-suppression campaigns to work with the tree rather than against it. Highly recommended as a book to buy and digest slowly.
Greg
This book has more information than the beginner could possibly use, but it really gets you excited about getting started (if you're not already started). Also, Phillips has a good sense of humor throughout to keep the book engaging even when he's just listing out the numerous ways that all of your fruits can be killed off.

Highly recommended for anyone looking to grow or improve fruit trees and bushes. No treatment of nut trees here, but he does include berry bushes and brambles.
Ed
Growing tree fruit organically is harder than you might think, and in a nutshell, this book is about how to manage the total system and in particular the life in the soil to optimize plant health and resilience of the whole system. Michael Phillips is well-respected in his field and an expert on organic orcharding in northern climates.
Anna
It took a while, or it seemed like it did, but I finally finished, skimming a reasonable amount of the specific fruit sections. The beginning and end of the book may end up being the most useful to me, especially the orchard to-do list. I wish there were more tables and figures included.
Zach Frey
Jul 19, 2012 Zach Frey marked it as to-read
This is the book I want when I have a place to plant fruit trees and tend them for a few decades. I'm halfway through it, and reluctantly sending it back to the library until I have either more free time or more land.
Mrs.
Great resource. The book really shines when it comes to fruit trees, and I thought it was a little thin in the berry section.
Xmas gift from Robin. Excellent!
Darrell
Darrell marked it as to-read
Jeffrey C
Jeffrey C marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
nicole
nicole marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Rebecca Lett Lett
Rebecca Lett Lett marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Tj Thompson
Tj Thompson marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Resilient Homestead: Innovative Permaculture Systems for the Home and Farm--Based on Research and Development in Earthworks, Perennial Crops, Cold-Climate Rice Production, and Nutrient-Dense Food/Medicine from the Whole Systems Research Farm
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
More about Michael Phillips...
The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardisst The Village Herbalist: Sharing Plant Medicines with Family and Community The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines (Chelsea Green)