Start by marking “The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way” as Want to Read:
The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way

The Holistic Orchard: Tree Fruits and Berries the Biological Way

Many people want to grow fruit on a small scale but lack the insight to be successful orchardists. Growing tree fruits and berries is something virtually anyone with space and passionate desire can do - given wise guidance and a personal commitment to observe the teachings of the trees. A holistic grower knows that producing fruit is not about manipulating nature but more ...more
Published January 10th 2012 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Holistic Orchard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holistic Orchard

Adam
[I just finished the first 167 pages of the book - the rest is on specifics of diseases and varieties that I don't find relevant in my journey as an orcharder yet, and certainly not in bulk, all at once.]

I walked into Michael Phillips' talk at the MOSES Organic Farming Conference without much interest in orcharding. I knew we had one at school, but I'dn't been very interested in it. Phillips' talk didn't spur me to be interested in orcharding, but it did strike me as among the most wise and arti
Bossy Acres
Nov 09, 2012 Bossy Acres rated it really liked it
Despite a wealth of information available about grafting, soil health, tree planting and pruning, there's one major area of orchard management that's tough for any beginner to learn: confidence. That's where Michael Phillips comes in. As a farmer in northern New Hampshire, he provides gentle-but-sure advice on holistic orchards in a way that's encouraging and valuable.

Beginning with a fascinating explanation of forest-edge ecology—which defines where fruit trees thrive best—Phillips moves into t
Justin  K. Rivers
Jan 04, 2012 Justin K. Rivers rated it it was amazing
It really is the best book you can get on the subject. When his book The Apple Grower came out a few years ago, it was a big deal. This is bigger, the culmination of a lot of that work.

Phillips' book is dense, packed with charts, photos, diagrams, information, and lots of detailed footnotes. His holistic orchard systems methodology can be applied to pretty much any growing scenario, and is geared toward a permanent, long-term system balance.

He spends most of his time on apples. They're one of
Rosemary
Nov 30, 2014 Rosemary rated it really liked it
This book comes endorsed by Toby Hemenway, but is not as well written as Hemenway's "Gaia's Garden". It is dense and informative, but somewhat meandering in style and would have benefited from more structured editing.

I was sold on neem oil which is highly praised for many reasons throughout the book, and planned to buy some, but then discovered that it has been banned in the UK due to its harmful effect on bumble bees (I believe the study post-dates the book). See : http://ec.europa.eu/environm
John
Jan 20, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
What I love most about the Holistic Orchard is Phillips' ability to breakdown the need for a new view on holistic, natural tree care at times using an open spiritual philosophy, incorporating the best of permaculture. His incredible knowledge is scientific, encyclopedic and his endnotes are often times hilarious. His essential view is that we apply a broken health care model towards our plants. If there is a pest on your crops, kill it, poison it. Philips instead focuses on creating a healthy ec ...more
Anna
Apr 01, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
The Holistic Orchard is a dense book --- I was very glad to read it slowly over the course of a couple of months rather than trying to take in all of the facts and ideas right away. But it's worth reading for anyone who wants to grow fruits without lots of chemicals. Understanding how the tree ecosystem works allows you to tweak your fertilizing, mulching, and pest-suppression campaigns to work with the tree rather than against it. Highly recommended as a book to buy and digest slowly.
Danni
Aug 18, 2014 Danni rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
The information and quality of this book makes me wish I had bought it in hardback copy instead of just an ebook. I really feel like it gives me a beginner working on bringing back an abandoned orchard all the primer skills I need. I'm sure I will be referencing this year after year. The only thing that I struggled with is the third of the book isn't as clearly organized as later on. The author tries to stress the importance of "holistic" care. I think many wonderful points are made. It was just ...more
Greg
Jan 03, 2013 Greg rated it it was amazing
This book has more information than the beginner could possibly use, but it really gets you excited about getting started (if you're not already started). Also, Phillips has a good sense of humor throughout to keep the book engaging even when he's just listing out the numerous ways that all of your fruits can be killed off.

Highly recommended for anyone looking to grow or improve fruit trees and bushes. No treatment of nut trees here, but he does include berry bushes and brambles.
Ed
Jan 02, 2013 Ed rated it really liked it
Growing tree fruit organically is harder than you might think, and in a nutshell, this book is about how to manage the total system and in particular the life in the soil to optimize plant health and resilience of the whole system. Michael Phillips is well-respected in his field and an expert on organic orcharding in northern climates.
Noel
Apr 02, 2015 Noel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
To expand our home food supply we added fruit trees two years ago. We wanted to develop a care routine that would have the least impact on wild life, specifically bees. Phillips outlines a plan that is manageable and conscientious while making you laugh out loud. He blends permaculture and biodynamic principles to grow fruit you actually want to eat.
Rorie Kirk
May 08, 2014 Rorie Kirk rated it it was amazing
This is actually an encyclopedia! I'll confess I didn't read the entire thing, I skimmed through to the parts that pertain to my current fruit-scape situation, but I am very impressed with this book. Every subject is covered thoroughly and written in a way to make this an easier read and enjoyable with the author's bits of humor.
Anna
Dec 01, 2013 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: ag-food
It took a while, or it seemed like it did, but I finally finished, skimming a reasonable amount of the specific fruit sections. The beginning and end of the book may end up being the most useful to me, especially the orchard to-do list. I wish there were more tables and figures included.
Zach Frey
Jul 12, 2012 Zach Frey marked it as to-read
This is the book I want when I have a place to plant fruit trees and tend them for a few decades. I'm halfway through it, and reluctantly sending it back to the library until I have either more free time or more land.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
This tomb on fruit culture covers subjects biological and mineral in the discussion of holistic orchard management. This book will give you a lot of ideas about growing healthy fruit trees from nutrition in the orchard to variety selection.
Mrs.
May 02, 2012 Mrs. rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great resource. The book really shines when it comes to fruit trees, and I thought it was a little thin in the berry section.
Christopher Fuchs
Nov 23, 2015 Christopher Fuchs rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Really changes your whole philosophy on how to start and maintain an orchard.
Elise Lauterbach
Jan 10, 2016 Elise Lauterbach rated it it was amazing
Essential for anyone raising organic produce. Brilliant!
Jan 16, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-library, farming
Xmas gift from Robin. Excellent!
Denny
May 06, 2015 Denny rated it really liked it
Interesting book but much too involved to get completed in a subdivision. Be nice if I lived on a farm where all the things I need are close by. Need something simpler.
Robin Hyman
Robin Hyman rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Denise M Faustino
Denise M Faustino rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2016
Jeph
Jeph rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Mymainefarm
Mymainefarm rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
Taylor Norris
Taylor Norris rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Kate Lincourt
Kate Lincourt rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Emily Jordan
Emily Jordan rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2015
Ratris Kurnia
Ratris Kurnia rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Nira
Nira rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
  • The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach
  • Paradise Lot: Two Plant Geeks, One-Tenth of an Acre, and the Making of an Edible Garden Oasis in the City
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • Tree Crops: A Permanent Agriculture
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • Edible Forest Gardens: 2 Volume Set
  • Sepp Holzer's Permaculture: A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Market Gardener: A Handbook for Successful Small-Scale Organic Farming
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food Web
  • Restoration Agriculture
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • The New Create an Oasis with Greywater: Choosing, Building, and Using Greywater Systems, Includes Branched Drains
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
More about Michael Phillips...