Start by marking “Cold Comfort” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  340 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
After being dumped by her faithless fiancé, Claire Spencer has abandoned her dreams of a family of her own tucked neatly inside a picket fence. Instead, she's plotting her solo course and settling for a quiet life as an independent Williamsburg shop owner. So how does she become a killer’s target?

Sometime security consultant Riley, burned out, disillusioned, and haunted by
Kindle Edition, Second, 311 pages
Published October 15th 2013 by Parkwood Press (first published December 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Comfort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Comfort

David Beeson
Nov 20, 2012 David Beeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For pure entertainment, Ellis Vidler’s Cold Comfort deserves five stars, not four: it has pace and a compelling plot that kept me guessing what was going on right up to the concluding chapters. It’s also a relief to read good writing after a lot of material by people who’ve no grasp of the concept of editing.

If in the end I settled on four stars, it was because some of the devices were a little predictable: the tough guy who’s suffered a tragedy over a woman he was unable to protect and has deci
Patricia
Dec 23, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
By Ellis Vidler

Review by Patricia A. Guthrie

If you like romantic suspense novels, a feisty courageous heroine, who didn’t know she had it in her, a hunk for a hero who hadn’t found his sensitive spot–yet, and a few really nasty villains who will do anything to murder the heroine thrown in to muck up anyone’s day, you’ll love “Cold Comfort” by Ellis Vidler.

Picture yourself as an owner of a cozy little Christmas shop called “The Mistletoe.” You’ve been talking to people all day, keep
Hbeebti
Feb 13, 2013 Hbeebti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
Very good RS. This was fast paced and kept me completely confused as to what was really going on. I just couldn't figure out who was out to kill Claire and why. Riley was a great hero with a dark past. Claire was strong and independent and had to be involved in solving this mystery. They made a great team.
Laura Thomas
Jan 16, 2013 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts are all over the place. The beginning of this story hits the ground running and never slows down.

In the opening scene, Claire is fighting for her life when an unknown attacker tries to kill her. If not for her neighbor and his son, he may have succeeded. Claire is a petite woman and her attacker was large and determined. He only relented when he heard the neighbors rushing to her aid. His parting words, “I’ll be back, sweetheart.”

She thought she was safe. The car with the mismatched
Seumas Gallacher
May 23, 2015 Seumas Gallacher rated it really liked it
...action-strewn slalom of a thriller...

...this is for you if you like your suspense non-stop, with thrills every other page... throw in political and mob intrigue at the highest levels... thugs of questionable finesse... a hero cut in the tough man mode and a heroine who is classier than most... then hang on for a slalom of action... the spark between tough guy Riley and the self-reliant Claire keeps the romance element spinning... a book that could easily fit into more than one genre... loved
Page
Aug 22, 2015 Page rated it liked it
After she’s dumped by her faithless fiancé, Claire Spencer settles for a quiet life as an independent Williamsburg shop owner. She had spent time taking care of her mother, Blanche, who she loved with all her heart.
But out of the blue, her world explodes into a nightmare straight out of spy movie. Her house is being broken into and searched, and she is being attacked. But why? Maybe security consultant Riley can find out why.
Riley does not put out warm-and-fuzzy vibes. He is burned out, stung b
Aaron Lazar
Apr 22, 2014 Aaron Lazar rated it it was amazing
"A Non-Stop Thrill Ride!"

audio book review:

I'm saving this books in my listening library and will probably come back to listen to all of Ellis Vidler's book in the future. They are great books.

I really loved Ben Riley, a man's man. The guy was complex, strong as a bull, and smart. Claire was a good protagonist, but she kept making me mad at her. LOL. She seemed to want to run head long into trouble without thinking about her safety, and I could see why Riley would get frustrated with that. I a
R.P. Dahlke
Apr 29, 2012 R.P. Dahlke rated it it was amazing
"Cold Comfort" by Ellis Vidler
Amazon Link to Kindle Version: http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Comfort-eb...
Kindle: $2.99

With her charming Christmas shop, Claire appears to live an idyllic life in quaint Williamsburg. And since it's the Christmas season she has every reason to be happy, business is great, she has her good friend Mary as helper and the shop is full every day. But then Claire is viscously attacked outside her home and strangers appear to be following her. Confused and frightened, suddenl
Pam
Aug 08, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
Clair Spencer has a quiet life living in the home her mother left her and runs a Christmas shop in Williamsburg, Virginia that she owns. Her calm existence comes to an end when she arrives home one night after closing the shop and is attacked in her driveway. Thanks to the neighbor’s dog that alerts those nearby, she is rescued but the attack leaves her with several injuries and many questions. After telling her assistant, Mary about the attack she is referred to Ben Riley by Mary’s brother Ray. ...more
Mar 23, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
The title of this novel instantly caught my attention. Usually, I don't "judge a book by it's cover" but in this case, I was happy to except the review request, because it sounded and looked so fascinating. This book shows readers that a romance novel doesn't need to have sexy men (or women) draped all over the cover (although there is NOTHING wrong with that). Of course, this isn't just a romance novel, it has a suspense aspect as well.

However, when I started to read, there were a couple disapp
Olivia
Dec 24, 2011 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Cold Comfort, which is marketed as a romance and suspense, but really, the romantic elements are sort of incidental, IMHO. The story is a thriller that centers on a perfectly ordinary woman, Claire Spencer, who runs a Christmas tchotchke store (hey, how about a little holiday reading material, right?) and is being targeted for murder. Through a friend, she enlists the help of Ben Riley, a broad-chested ex-Navy man who seems to have endless governmental connections and ma ...more
Nancy Silk
Jul 24, 2015 Nancy Silk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"High Action, Thrilling Mystery Story"

This is an awesome suspenseful story which reveals two opposing, strong willed people needing each other. It's the story of Clair Spencer being ditched by her fiancé and losing her one relative, her mother. She establishes a contented life as a gift shop owner in Williamsburg. One dark night, arriving home from a long day, she is assaulted for absolutely no known reason. Mary who works in Clair's shop and is a good friend, contacts her brother to help resolv
Jody
Jan 01, 2012 Jody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, mystery, suspense
I won this book through the goodread's giveaways. The story is a mystery-suspense romance. It was very easy to read, having finished it in 2 days. The style was very easy to follow and kept you interested. Suspense and a lot of action are abundant through the novel's many twists and turns.

Claire Spencer is running a boutique in Williamsburg when she is brutally attacked for no apparent reason. Her coworker calls her brother to recommend a cheap PI, Riley. Their personalities are quite different
Jan Romes
Nov 06, 2012 Jan Romes rated it it was amazing
The action and intrigue started right off the bat with someone trying to snuff out Claire Spencer. Claire lives a quiet, modest life and she's at a loss as to who is after her and why. She hires Ben Riley who was formerly in Navy intelligence to help her find out. Ben is reluctant to get involved; when he does, her world gets even crazier. Chemistry brews in the background of the danger and intrigue, but it also ups the stakes for Claire and Ben. I think the author did a great job of pacing the ...more
Peni
Oct 14, 2015 Peni rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 18+ and mature
I listened to Cold Comfort from Audible.com.
This excellent, riviting story was difficult to stop listening to. I ended up staying u all night because of it. Good thing it was a weekend. I give the story 5 stars, the reader not so much. It was probably just me but the msle voice was alway the same so i got mixed up on who was talking when. I believe there were a couple times she got the womens voices confused. Then toward the end of the story there was a car door sound effect inserted that came
Kate (sleepy kitten)
This book is a clash of two worlds, the cliched quiet surburban life and the fast and dangerous world of mobsters and politics. The result of which turns the life of the unsuspecting target, Claire, upside down. Luckily for Claire she obtains the services of he mysterious Riley, a strong and mysterious problem solver. Not only does Riley have contacts in all of the necesary places he is also a fantastic artist, and what woman could resist a strong, ruggedly handsome man who needs someone to cook ...more
Suze
Mar 19, 2014 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: Free on Amazon
A bit of a why and who dunnit. Claire is being targetted and she doesnt know why - an attack at home leaves her injured, someone's rifled through her home files, nasty items left at work. The police have done all they can, so who is she gonna call? A friend of her work colleagues brother, thats who! He seems to be a real life action man, but with a soft heart that Claire finds as they back track through her life to find out the why so they can figure out the who.
A fast paced romp through snowy w
Ellis Vidler
Aug 08, 2015 Ellis Vidler added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The story:
When a thug attacks Claire Spencer, owner of a charming Williamsburg Christmas shop, she hires security consultant Ben Riley to find out why. Old letters in a hidden trunk direct Claire and Riley to transcripts from the 1970s House Select Committee on Crime, where Sinatra appeared as a key witness, and to connections between politics and organized crime.
While dodging a speeding car, ducking bullets, and escaping from murky swamp waters, proper Claire and freewheeling loner Riley strug
Kristin King
Sep 20, 2013 Kristin King rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This has a classic mystery feel to it, but the story revolves around a heroine who is a fighter. I like the way the plot developments are strung along since I like trying to figure out the secrets and second guess what's coming. The romance was woven throughout quite creatively, and the reluctant hero was definitely a fine character. I recommend this book to fans of mystery and suspense with strong romantic elements.
Vichy
The action is there and the plot is interesting, too. Finess and quiet life clashes with the dangerous. A "know it all", "do it all" protector comes for the lady who is in danger. I just don't think the matching was so much of a success because, I just say maybe, all the spell was wasted in the Mistletoe shop that Claire onwned and not some was spared for the rest of the story.
AJ
Jun 08, 2015 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really Good

I enjoyed this book. Was a good mixture of adventure, mystery and romance. Claire is a strong independent women who can admit she needs help. Riley is what she needs and she is what Riley needs. If only they could both realize it and let the past not get in their way especially Riley. Part of a series but can be read as a standalone. HE A.
Jan
Dec 24, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing
This book kept me up last night. Even though I pretty much figured out the motive for everything the main character was going through, the action was so well done, and the romance, that I had to keep reading to see what happened next. Plus I did want to find out who the bad guy was, of course. A well-written mystery with a lot of suspense. What more could a reader ask for?
Jenny
Jan 21, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
This is a free book from the Goodreads First Reads giveaways.
Claire Spencer, a Williamsburg, VA Christmas shop owner, suddenly finds her life in danger. With the help of a friend of a friend, Ben Riley, she finds out what is behind this sudden surge of attacks and more. This story reminded me of some of the Nora Roberts' stories, mixing mystery and romance.
Troy  Dye
Feb 23, 2014 Troy Dye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
COLD COMFORT- a SUSPENSE romance

COLD COMFORT- a SUSPENSE romance

This suspense novel actually looses points because the.beautifully written romance detracts from the more interesting question of who are the bad guys, and why are they trying to kill such an ordinary woman?
Nancy Lauzon
Apr 24, 2012 Nancy Lauzon rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I really enjoyed this novel. The author turned up the suspense factor and kept me guessing--and sweating--right to the end. The relationship between Claire and Riley was tender and emotional, the plot was realistic and well researched. A must-read for fans of well-crafted romance/suspense!
Amy
Jan 16, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a decent mystery novel. The limited third person writing is great, it draws you into the character and makes you want to know why this woman's life is in danger all of a sudden. The resolution is not quite what you think it would be and yet it is well done for the story.
Polly
Dec 14, 2011 Polly rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure. I critiqued this book, so what can I say? It's a terrific romantic suspense with a reluctant hero and a heroine who's the target of someone who wants to kill her. Why? That's what the two people have to find out before the killer succeeds. I highly recommend this book.
Emily
Sep 29, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was pretty surprised that I liked this as much as I did. It is not my usual faire, but enjoyable even so. Claire was a bit needy at times, but generally I liked her. I liked who she was and who she became. I liked Riley as well. The story was quick and action packed.
Erika
Aug 21, 2014 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and kept you thinking. I wish that there was a bit more to the ending. I had to read the last page a couple times to make sure I understood how it was ending. I would have enjoyed a bit more if an ending for Clair and Riley.
  • An Eye For Danger
  • Blindsided (Sentinel Securities, #1)
  • Her Honor's Bodyguard
  • Last Chance to Run  (Slye Temp #1)
  • Big Girls Don't Cry (Blonde Barracuda, #1)
  • Desert Rose (Warriors Series - #1)
  • Unwritten Rules
  • Drive Me To Distraction
  • Forbidden Love
  • Chasing Venus
  • Dead Again
  • Eye of the Abductor
  • Intimate Enemies (Covert Affairs, #1)
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
  • Deathscape (Broslin Creek, #2)
  • In Search of Grace
  • Hooked
  • Countermeasure (Countermeasure, #1)
South Carolina author: PRIME TARGET, suspense with a love story; TIME OF DEATH, suspense with a hint of romance; COLD COMFORT, romantic suspense; HAUNTING REFRAIN, suspense with a little romance; THE PEEPER, with Jim Christopher, suspense. Ellis's novels contain adult language and situations.
3 short stories, TEA IN THE AFTERNOON, Southern fiction.
Some favorites: To Kill a Mockingbird, Prince of T
More about Ellis Vidler...