Start by marking “The Five Keys to Mindful Communication: Using Deep Listening and Mindful Speech to Strengthen Relationships, Heal Conflicts, and Accomplish Your Goals” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Good communication is essential to any healthy relationship, whether it’s between spouses, family members, friends, or co-workers, and mindfulness—the practice of nonjudgmental awareness—can help us communicate more effectively and meaningfully with others in our personal and professional lives. Here, Susan Chapman, a psychotherapist and long-time Buddhist practitioner, ex ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Five Keys to Mindful Communication, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Keys to Mindful Communication

Rose
Review to come. I thought this was a very useful examination of using mindfulness practices to have deeper understanding and resonance among our conversations with other people. The author advocates a "we-first" approach to interpersonal communication practices, rather than what the author calls a "me-first" approach that's dominant in our society. There's quite a bit of useful information to take from this work, so I hope I can expound upon it in my upcoming review.
Jones Patrick
The essential thought of this book is that if a man lives from a "we-first" point of view instead of a "me-first" perspective, both that individual and those that he or she come into contact with will have the advantage.

As indicated by Chapman, the best approach to mindful communication is the thing that she calls the 'five key components,' which are silence, mirroring, encouraging, discerning, and responding. These abilities empower us to listen all the more deeply, to ourselves and to others.

V
Morgan Blackledge
I love to write ridiculously long Goodreads reviews. But I'm guessing most people don't love to read them. So here's my nutshell summary of the book.

The keys to Mindful Communication are: be embodied, be present, be accepting, be kind, be encouraging, pause, listen deeply, speak your authentically warm, playful truth and just say YES to what emerges.

If that's enough than feel free to skip the rest.

But if you're thirsty for more, than by all means, slake thy thirst at the aforementioned font of
Michael Howarth
A helpful book in which Chapman takes the principles of mindfulness and applies them to relationships and communication. She employs a "red light, yellow light, green light" analogy for when communication is closed, in a middle state, or open. I found this analogy helpful at times and distracting at others. Her real-world examples are helpful, and the principles of mindfulness that she teaches are very helpful for increasing one's ability to "watch" their heart during interactions with others. I ...more
GONZA
Clear and well written, this book starts from mindfulness to achieve the perfect listeners and talkers, this is the best way to strength your relationship. Nothing particularly new, we already have Nardone in Italy that is following that path, but it's always interesting reading something about mindfulness communication.

Chiaro e ben scritto, questo libro parte dalla mindfulness (consapevolezza) per farci diventare il migliore tra gli ascoltatori e i comunicatori, in modo da rafforzare le nostre
Melanie Guste, RSCJ
Sharpens ones communication skills and approaches the topic from the perspective of a Christian Buddhist practitioner.
Tiffin
Concise and full of real stories. A book I will learn from every time I pick it up! I had the opportunity to hear Susan speak at our local Shambhala center . Very memorable, a real treat.
Weegee Sachtjen
I liked it, or what I read of it. I think I just had too much going on at the moment and wasn't able to focus on the book or its concepts. I plan to one day jog back and pick it back up.
Heather
Very good book with excellent advice for effective communication. Not exactly new information for me though, so it dragged at times.
Delacey
Delacey marked it as to-read
Karen Gale booze
Karen Gale booze marked it as to-read
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Rebecca Roper
Rebecca Roper marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Janine
Janine is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2015
Aminadab P Nunes
Aminadab P Nunes is currently reading it
Aug 09, 2015
Lucille Bertuccio
Lucille Bertuccio marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Georgesamuel
Georgesamuel marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Nameginger Peterman
Nameginger Peterman marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Ansley Hayes
Ansley Hayes marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bouncing Back: Rewiring Your Brain for Maximum Resilience and Well-Being
  • Uncovering Happiness: Overcoming Depression with Mindfulness and Self-Compassion
  • The Power of Focusing: A Practical Guide to Emotional Self-Healing
  • The Sanity We Are Born With: A Buddhist Approach to Psychology
  • The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action
  • Focusing
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group, or Classroom Study
  • Wired for Love: How Understanding Your Partner's Brain and Attachment Style Can Help You Defuse Conflict and Build a Secure Relationship
  • The Attention Revolution: Unlocking the Power of the Focused Mind
  • Real Magic: Creating Miracles in Everyday Life
  • Mindfulness Plain & Simple
  • Meditations to Change Your Brain
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • The Misleading Mind: How We Create Our Own Problems and How Buddhist Psychology Can Help Us Solve Them
  • The Road Home: A Contemporary Exploration of the Buddhist Path
  • Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun
THE five Keys to Mindful Communication Die fünf Schlüssel zur achtsamen Kommunikation