Start by marking “Urban Legends: The Truth Behind All Those Deliciously Entertaining Myths That Absolutely, Positively, 100% Not True!” as Want to Read:

Urban Legends to the rescue. This is the new book by nationally syndicated Chicago Sun Times columnist Richard Roeper. It is a comprehensive, enlightening, and entertaining look at hundreds of such stories that have no basis in factno matter how many people will swear otherwise. Half the people who read Urban Legends will be delighted that a legitimate journalist has final ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by New Page Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Urban Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Legends

Danielle Klassen
May 31, 2012 Danielle Klassen rated it liked it
This was a fun collection of some excellent urban tales that we tell each other. It was fun to read and more fun than this was finding out all the torrid tales that I've heard myself over the years. (And, admittedly, fallen for sometimes.) If I could say anything that I would like to see more of in this book, it would be an analysis of the tales themselves. Urban Legends usually have a folk root that they are responding to and while the stories are fun to read, I think it would have really would ...more
Osheen
Mar 14, 2013 Osheen rated it it was amazing
i thought that this book was fantastic, i love urban legends and this was what i was looking for. i highly recommend this to any person that wants to read some interesting stories. this book is a fantastic read for any trip or plane flight, it has all the things anyone could ask for in an urban legend book. weather its how the 311 is related to the kkk or how tupac faked his own death, this book has it all. my favorite story was how the Beatles almost had a reunion on snl when they were offered ...more
Lydiajett
Mar 16, 2008 Lydiajett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Urban Legends book. This one really delves into some of the more popular ones of today that are spread thru emails, text messages, & word-of-mouth. I was amazed at how many of these I had received in my own email. I guess it just goes to show you that some people will believe anything.
Patricia Atkinson
Aug 18, 2014 Patricia Atkinson rated it liked it
This is a great book if you like urban ledgends.It explains how you ca tell that the stories are not real and how the urban ledgend got started.I enjoyed reading some of the ones I remember and it was good to find out the reasons why so many people were fooled into thinking they were really true....
Heather Campbell
Apr 19, 2012 Heather Campbell rated it really liked it
Nothing new legend wise but I do a good job in collecting them myself. Even if you know them it's interesting to be able to read a logical tear to the throat of any urban legend...though I'm still sure they happened to my aunt's doctor's stepson.
Susan
Jan 03, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-legends
I don't think I ran across any new legends, but they always amuse me and he's an entertaining writer.
Karen
Jun 15, 2016 Karen added it
A quick, funny read. Roeper debunks urban legends from ankle slashing as a gang initiation to Y2K. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2008
Murtle
Murtle rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2013
Shelby
Shelby rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2011
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2009
Jaala
Jaala rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2012
Cass
Cass rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2011
Elise
Elise rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
cat news
cat news rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Amberlee
Amberlee rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2017
Michael Martin
Michael Martin rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Bertha Trujillo
Bertha Trujillo rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Minerva
Minerva rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2008
Cat Skyfire
Cat Skyfire rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
D B
D B rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2014
Tiffeny Grizzle
Tiffeny Grizzle rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
195061
Richard Roeper is a columnist/film critic for the Chicago Sun-Times and, since September of 2000, has co-hosted the television series At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper with fellow film critic Roger Ebert.
More about Richard Roeper...