Words Get In the Way

Words Get In the Way

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  58 reviews
"Rossiter's second novel (after The Gin & Chowder Club) is an intimate portrayal of a family in crisis, with good character development and a bucolic setting." - Publishers Weekly

The modest ranch house where Callie Wyeth grew up looks just as she remembers it - right down to the well-worn sheets in the linen closet. But in the years since Callie lived here, almost ever...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Words Get In the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words Get In the Way

Brittany
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

In this love story where words NEVER get in the way, Rossiter shows us the life of struggling, single mother Callie and her young son Henry who she has just learned has autism. Faced with money problems and her father's poor health, Callie decides to move home. While she hopes to steer clear of Linden, the man she left a few years ago with a broken heart, Henry makes it impossible to do so. Callie's patience is pushed as...more
Nancy Narma
“Tears and Heart-Tugging Got In My Way”

Callie Wyeth feels like she has the weight of the world on her shoulders. She’s a single Mother whose beautiful three-year old, non-verbal son, Henry, the gift from a relationship with a married college instructor, has been diagnosed as Autistic. This news comes on top of Callie’s decision to return and to reside in her childhood home as her widowed Father has placed himself in a Nursing Home. Moving back to her quiet hometown in New Hampshire brings back m...more
Heather McCubbin
A great beach-read. Light, fluffy and not very deep. I found that there was a lot of "telling" instead of showing and the use of exclamation points got to be annoying! Another thing that I saw, that I was told is a big no-no in the writing world, is she wrote a character's words in a Boston accent. All I could hear was JFK's voice when I read this character's lines. Everyone knows what that accent sounds like and you only need to tell the reader once and then write the words "normally". Very fe...more
Kaity
I received this book through GoodRead's First Reads giveaway.

This book about a struggling single mother, Callie, who returns to her hometown and rekindles her romance with her long-lost, high school sweetheart, Linden is reminiscient of the archive of Nicholas Sparks novels. The strong, independent mother hesitantly returns to the embrace of the man who never stopped loving her. Where this book differs, and shines, is the light Nan Rossiter sheds on autism as Callie struggles to understand her y...more
Wendy
I read this book in several hours. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It linked Autism and a special boy who became the impetus for forgiveness and new love found in the ashes of love long left behind. It was beautiful. a must read.
Cocktails and Books
A very sweet and touching book. Look for review on Night Owl Reviews.
Alison
This reminded me of a Nicholas Sparks book I read recently where the single mum has a son who does not talk. Which story was that? I think it was 'A Bend in the Road' and the boy in that was the son of the main male character, not of the woman like this story (I think I've remembered that right?).
This is lighthearted romance between two high school sweethearts, one who has a son with autism. The son naturally charms the old sweetheart <3
Like a Sparks novel, the story made me cry (particularl...more
Gale

I'd call this a "feel good" book, short easy to read. I read sstraight through it. A single mother with no money moves with her young autistic son to her father's country home. The father is temporarily hospitalized and will need her to care for him upon leaving. She became pregnant during her "to be everlasting" relationship but could not tell her real love truth out of shame and embarassment. They have been apart several years though he too has returned to his home area.
Many relationships r...more
Julie Barrett
Words Get in the Way by Nan Rossiter
After reading another book by this author I sought out her other works and was happy to find a few from the online library.
Loved hearing of the work Linden does with his hands, the art of building a stone wall. Loved the New England accents when he talks to others. Especially liked the tales of the AT, priceless!
This story is about Callie and her son Henry. She's back at her parents to live with hopes of taking care of her dad instead of the nursing home he's...more
Ti
The Short of It:

Words Get In the Way is a heartwarming tale of redemption and hope.

The Rest of It:

When Callie Wyeth’s father suffers a stroke, she finds herself in a difficult position. Wanting desperately to help, she knows she must return to her childhood home, but the memories of her life three years before rush back to her. Particularly, Linden…the man she left behind. The man whose heart she was forced to break, in order to keep him from the painful truth. A truth which she hasn’t fully com...more
Sue
I enjoyed the story despite the abbreviated character development. I feel the author could have cut back on the overly-described action sequences (there was an almost 1/2 page paragraph describing how the character was making a pie) and perhaps spent more time on fleshing out the back story, or how the main characters "came together" in the Epilogue. But, overall, I liked it. Quick read for vacation or an afternoon at the beach.
Diana
A very sweet story about faith, redemption, trust & love. I thought the storyline with the autistic boy was handled very well. I would have liked to have a little more conversation about betrayal between the two main characters, but overall, it was a pleasant read.
Carmen
This was a nice little read that danced around a few issues but managed to resolve most of them without delving too deep. Yes, there is autism, which is interesting, along with romance and death, but nothing is explored fully and things are tied up in a pretty bow fairly quickly. Betrayal is forgiven without much discussion or even much anguish. With the young boy, as soon as they try a method of dealing with his autism he improves dramatically. Everything is so neat and tidy that I found the bo...more
Jeanne
A woman and her autistic son move home when her father gets sick. She runs into her old boyfriend and they renew their relationship.

What struck me most about this book is how differently the mom acted than the moms of autistic kids I know today. The book is set mostly in 1999, and I suppose awareness has changed things a bit. Most of the moms I know are ferociously concerned with helping their kids. This woman, even when given some help and pointers, didn't seem particularly interested. Seems to...more
Lea
I would classify this book at Christian romance/women's lit. Callie's struggle with her autistic son is the main focus of the book. The additional focus is with her high school boyfriend, who has never stopped loving her. The unrequited love was a little hard to believe, but it was less than four years so the time frame made it some what realistic. Callie really struggles, basically seems to live in denial of her son's autism. She's also dealing with her father, who is very ill. The epilogue clo...more
Cathy
Nice easy read. You get caught up in the lives of the characters. Just a very good story.
cati
Very sweet. Not a ton of substance. But nicely done. From Mom
Cindy
Overall I really enjoyed this book though I felt the ending was a little rushed. I wanted for there to be more written about the 'happily ever after' which to a certain extent was left to the reader's imagination. So, of course, the ...rest of the story.... for me was sunshine and roses!!
The religious aspects were not at all overwhelming and contained the perfect balance. I enjoyed all the characters and will not hesitate in picking up another book by this author.
Natalie
I got this book off Goodreads Giveaways.

It was a light and fluffy book that was easy to read. It took me a while to finish though, because there just wasn't enough to rope me in.

Certainly a few heartwarming moments, many that made me smile, and for that I give it 3 stars.

If I could pick one thing to change in the book, it would be to remove all the God references. I don't practice religion, and so I had a hard time relating to the characters in that sense.
Kathy
Jan 27, 2013 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Nan tackles tough social issues in her books and while doing so you feel you are there withe the characters. Autism is still a misunderstood illness. We get an insight of what it's like for Henry as he struggles with his illness as a toddler. Very good read, ending lacking the details I was hoping for, but it had just enough opening to have a sequel.
Sarah Peralta
3 1/2 stars. This was an interesting book. The mother and her autistic toddler brought back some of the memories I had with my son when he was that age. Some of the mother's feelings echoed mine. I guess for me, I needed a little more character development. I felt the story ended too early.
Devon
May 22, 2012 Devon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I was sucked into this book by the cute cover. I had no idea there would be so much God this and bible that through out the book. Minus the religious aspect of the book it was a good story. I did feel like it moved too fast at certain points and did a drive by ending. I was let wanting more.
Christy Woolum
This is a "feel good" book that is a quick read and captures your heart. Callie moves back to her childhood home and is faced with challenges that include her father, son, and a lost love. The book kept me interested as I understood her challenges and how she dealt with them. Easy read.
Culleen
I really enjoyed how Rossiter developed her characters. I felt like I knew them personally. I love how Henry bonds with Linden and Springer. A really great read with a great story line touching on a very real issue.
Kathy Maher
My first read Nan Rossiter book. I loved it and so glad I did read it. Very well written, easy to read and a quick read. I do like Nan's style of writing and can't wait to read more of her books.
Donna
Callie returns home to her New Hampshire home with her 3 years old autistic son, Henry. She reconnects with her old boyfriend, Linden. Linden helps Henry.

Taylor
Super cute. I think I am in love with Linden. At times the book read a bit like a textbook with its definitions of autism and the behaviors associated with it.
Tari
Sweet story about a single woman with an autistic son who reunites with her old flame who has... a yellow Labrador! Fun read but ended rather abruptly.
Mom2jngncna~ Stephannie
cute, a helpful read for grandparents/relatives of a young child diagnosised with autism.... obviously it is fiction, but it does contain accurate info....
Kristin
It's a great summer read and very quick. Has a lot of feel good to it with a happy ending. Substance wasn't that great for me.
  • Wallflower in Bloom
  • Objects of My Affection
  • In the Bag
  • Beach Colors
  • The Art of Saying Goodbye: A Novel
  • Capital Girls (Capital Girls, #1)
  • On Grace
  • Henny on the Couch
  • Dancing Naked in Dixie
  • The Wedding Beat
  • Dead and Godless
  • A Place For Us
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Nan Parson Rossiter's adult fiction is often compared to the work of Nicholas Sparks - especially her first novel, THE GIN & CHOWDER CLUB. She hopes readers who enjoyed GIN & CHOWDER (or those who haven't discovered it yet!) will look for the same characters in the Christmas anthology, MAKING SPIRITS BRIGHT. Nan's second novel, WORDS GET IN T...more
More about Nan Parson Rossiter...
More Than You Know The Gin & Chowder Club Under a Summer Sky Rugby and Rosie Sugar on Snow