Start by marking “Spy Cat” as Want to Read:
Spy Cat

Spy Cat (Pete the Cat #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Pete the cat can't actually talk to his owner, Alex, but he's a crime-solving cat, and he knows when things aren't right. And now, Pete knows something is wrong. Someone's been breaking into houses in the neighborhood, and they're not just stealing people's property&150they're kidnapping pets! When the burglars come to Alex's house, they nab Pete! Lucky for Pete, Alex' ...more
Published June 17th 2004 by Puffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Spy Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spy Cat

Kris by Patrick O'ScheenInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe See-Through Leopard by Sibel HodgeSam, the Superkitty by Marion LovatoThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Fiction Cat Books
25th out of 191 books — 157 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronKris by Patrick O'ScheenHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterCleo by Helen Brown
Best Cat Books
156th out of 171 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

The author should have warned anyone that was about to read this book that it's only for animal torturers or anyone who thinks that a cat bleeding to death is hilarious. This book is horrible. I'm very touchy about animals getting hurt, and I couldn't handle when a kid got kidnapped and his cat got tortured, too. I was thinking, why would they ever write such a book, for kids? Even an independent, sensitive adult wouldn't be able to handle such treachery.

What really stinks is that I was enjoyin
This is an entertaining and dramatic story in the Pete the Cat series about a family with a smart pet cat who helps to track down thieves breaking into homes in a new housing development.

The book is 'coauthored' by the author's cat, Pete the Cat, and the cat's perspective is humorous and insightful. It's the sequel to the book The Stranger Next Door, but we haven't read that one yet.

Our oldest borrowed this book from her elementary school library. I thought it would be a fun, fast read and it
Hamant R
Pete the cat sences that something is wrong. Pete can't talk to his owner verbally ,Alex, But he can sole crimes, and he knows when something arent right.And somethings wrong right now, someones been breaking into houses in Pete and Alex's neighborhood,and they're not just stealing people's personal property, their stealing people's peace of mind and their pets!!!!! When burglars break into Alex's house, they catnap Pete. But luckly for Pete, Alex's Brother,Benjie, rescues Pete. But Benjie gets ...more
Spy Cat by Peg Kehret is an adventure with the cat and the little boy being the ones to find the burglars who have been breaking into homes in the neighborhood. It has excitement, adventure and animals. Parts are funny, such as when Pete the cat eats the burglar's hamburger and fries.

This is a quick fun read that shows the strong bond between kids and their pets. I liked it!
(Karen's review)
This book is really good! It is a must read! Especially for people who like mysteries!!!!!
Spy cat was so great I could never take my head out of it.
Pete the cat lived with the Kendrill family. Benjie was in 1st grade, Alex who was in 6th grade and Mr. and Mrs. Kendrill. A girl named Mary and her grandma moved in next door. They had tons of animals. One night they were robbed and one of the animals was stolen. Then the Kendrill family got a new kitten that Pete wasn't too happy about. Then the robbers broke into the Kendrill's house. Pete tried to stop them. He got into their truck and started biting and scratching them. Then Benjie came to ...more
this book is about 4 kids and 2 cats.the kids names are alex,rockey,mary, and benjie and one day rockey and his family went to a resturant and a harware store, and while they were gone alex was watching the news with his family and he heard the news lady say BREAKING NEWS THIS JUST IN ANOTHER VALLEY VEIW HOME ROBBERY.and after that they broke in to mary and many more homes.the next night the robbers broke into alex house and just so happens benjie alex's littler brother was home.pete the cat was ...more
Calob Jones
I thought this was a pretty good book.The book is about the Kendrill family. Alex who is in 6th grade Benjie who is in 1st grade and there mom and dad Mr and Mrs. Kendrill.The Kendrills have a cat named Pete.Well one day when no one was home but Pete but Pete noticed something wierd when he heard someone come inside the house.So Pete went to go check and guess who was thier robbers and they were robbing the kendrills stuff and put it in there van.Then Pete decided to sneak into the van and when ...more
Stephen Snyder
This is a wonderful book for any age group to read. If you love animals and love a good mystery, this is the book for you. one of my students now has book his mother, grandmother, and now me hooked on this series. I can't wait to read more of the series. Kudos!

Thank you for the loan Franklin Public Library.
Spy Cat is a juvenile nonfiction book that will be welcomed by young animal lovers and mystery fans alike. Pete, the titular feline, solves a mystery involving a burglary ring, despite his humans' obliviousness.

Other reviewers have commented that the Spy Cat series hearkens back to an earlier era; the children speak with much more formality and have much more freedom than most twenty-first century youngsters. Students (and their parents) may enjoy this break from the bratty banter of the Hannah
Emmeline Chu
I enjoyed this book a lot because their was lots of action, and kind of mysterious. I find books like these interesting because the answers to these mysteries are always left unknown (except when you read to the end of the book) which makes it even more exciting!
Julie Pascoe
Spy Cat is a mystery about thefts in a neighborhood. Pete, the cat, is not only funny but is also an author. He adds humor to the story as the mystery unfolds.
This book is FABULOUS! I love it so much and you should too. Do yourself a favor and get this awesome children's book, because it is absolutely AWESOME!!
Jana Collins
I liked this book a lot. It was suspenseful and I couldn't wait to see what happened next!
Feb 14, 2015 Bryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
If you want to be a spy, don't blurt everything out.
This is a good, solid story! The personality of the cat is - so true!
Abigail Banghart
I thought this book had really good plot line and it was just really hard to put down.
Scott Williams
Miss Carman
There have been a bunch of burglaries in the area where Alex lives, and Pete the spy cat is determined to protect his humans - and wishes that they could understand him. But when burglars do come and Alex's younger brother Benjie and Pete the cat are the only witnesses, what will happen?

A quick read, this book is not remarkable, but not bad. I thought the parts written by the cat were not so original, but otherwise the book was good. Kids who like animals and mystery books will enjoy it.

Brandon Abbs
This is the first chapter book I remember reading. I did a book report on it in about the second grade and since reread it a few times. Maybe it's the nostalgia I'e associated with it, as the earliest-read book I can remember reading, but there's something about the witty and thrilling writing I remember it for, especially, but not just, in a book meant for kids that drives me to suspect my last rereading of it may not be the one from a few years ago.
My kids (age 7 & 9) both really liked this. I found it hard to stick with, predictable and slow. I gave it a because it will appeal to elementary kids who are really into mystery or pets.
Aileen Stewart
Spy cat is unusually interesting in that the story is told from the point of view of both Alex and his cat Pete who understands what humans say and reads what they write. Along with the help of his younger brother Benji, Alex and Pete manage to solve the mysterious burglaries that plague the surrounding neighborhood. The twists and turns they take leading up to the burglars capture are well worth reading.
Gracie Jones
I loved this book! I liked that you could see both sides of the story. Pete and his oners. this is a very good book. I recomend this book to people who love misteries.
Holly M.
I have to say this is one of my favorite books. I gave it a five star because you never know what will happen next. It is also really neat because the cat has parts in the book where he is talking. How would you feel if burgalaries happened all over your neighborhood week after week? Well, that's how the Kendrill's feel. Alex and Benjie feel, they don't know when their house is coming next.
After reading this book, I know I'm a fan of this author, and would like to read more of her writing. The story is a neat and fun one, and with just mystery and intrigue to keep one going through the book to see what happens. Mind you, this book is geared for the younger age (Juvenile/YA), as obvious by the "talking cat", but it's one you and the kids can enjoy, maybe even together. :)

Thomas Sederquist
There is these people that are moving in next door. and benjie came into the house and said that there was people moving in. But then he kept on going in and out of the house. Then finally came back in and bothered pete there cat while he was eating breakfast. I didn't like this book because the book was to complicated to read for me. I recommend this book to people who like to read mysteries.
Sami S
I thought that this was a great book. It was confusing because of the characters changing and the point of view that changed. If you really understand it, it’s a great book. I would have to give this book 4 stars because it had great action and lots of great details. There are many different things that happen in this book; things that will have you keep turning the pages.
I gave this book 5 stars because this book is all about adventure and it is very exciting. What I really loved is it gives people who read this book an idea of what goes through a cats mind on a average day and this cat thinks he can be a spy and to help his owners brother bengie from the kidnappers .Does Pete save him or do they never see him again.
Talking about the Book! 1 1 Jul 07, 2013 08:53AM
Talk About Juveni...: Spy Cat Discussion 1 4 Jun 19, 2013 12:23PM
  • Miss Hazeltine's Home for Shy and Fearful Cats
  • Snow Valley Heroes a Christmas Tale (Planet of the Dogs #3)
  • The Flying Flea, Callie and Me
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • Bearwalker
  • Chasing Jenna
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • My Life as a Joke
  • The Last Leopard (Animal Healer, #3)
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)
  • The Lost Whale: The True Story of an Orca Named Luna
  • Train From Marietta
  • Alfie All Alone
  • Double Blind
  • Finding Danny
  • Hidden Agenda (Southern Crimes, #3)
  • Daisy and Josephine
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...

Pete the Cat (3 books)
  • The Stranger Next Door
  • Trapped
Stolen Children Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio Runaway Twin Abduction! Escaping The Giant Wave