Start by marking “Bonnie Prince Charlie” as Want to Read:
Bonnie Prince Charlie

Bonnie Prince Charlie

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1900)

Apr 23, 2014 Nathan added it
A fantastic story of Ronald Leslie, boy turning into a young man full of adventure. Because he has been brought up by adopted parents, he eventually goes on a journey to ultimately learn the outcome of his biological mother and father; his mother being of French royalty and his father, a Scottish officer. His story eventually becomes intertwined with Bonnie Prince Charlie's endeavour to take back his rightful throne. Bonnie Prince Charlie is definitely a page turner!
Rebecca Shieldmaiden
This book is the second G.A. Henty I have read and it was ok, kind of slow but ok. The problem I tend to have with G.A. Henty's books are that they are mostly about men and tend to be chauvinist against women making them out to be weak twerps that have to be 'looked out' for by the men. Three stars for being interesting and having good history.
John Barbour
I've always wanted to read a G.A Henty book so I started with this one. Bonnie Prince Charlie is of particlar interest to me for the simple reason that I grew up hearing about him like he was some kind of hero.

This is rather odd, considering my dad that talked about him is a staunch Calvinist whose ancstors were the very ones who opposed Stuart (catholic) rule. They were members of the verty strict Covenanters church (a Scottish version of Puritanism).

G.A Henty recognizes the fact that Bonnie
I like G.A. Henty's historic fiction stories because they make historic facts memorable. That being said, I was a little disappointed with Bonnie Prince Charlie. I think Henty normally does a better job of putting the meat of the story on the bones of the facts; this one didn't flow as smoothly as some of his others. He started rattling off names and places so quickly that you aren't sure what you're reading, then it stops and a tale begins, then back to several pages of facts. Most baffling is ...more
May 27, 2008 Eyebright rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Scottish history lovers
I have always like reading Scottish history, and Bonnie Prince Charlie is no exception!

I started this book, not really remembering what happens, but knowing that Prince Charles never succeeds in his quest to regain the throne, but it was so sad to see all of the mistakes that were made that led to the suppression of the Scottish rebellion! It seemed like every time Charlie turned around he made another mistake.

Part of the reason for his mistakes was because of the people that he trusted. I thoug
Nan Hawthorne
G A Henty is a genre unto himself.. but he spends so much time on the historical account that the characters just get lost. In this book you would think you would get a thorough account of Culloden, but it almost was omitted.. I wanted to like this book more than i did.
I first read about Bonnie Prince Charlie in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Interesting to fit my limited understanding with this work of historical fiction.
This was a great and exiting story. It will make you proud to claim Scottish heritage.
The first half of this one was REALLY good, the second half - kinda slow.
Alistair Butt
Alistair Butt marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
J added it
Aug 15, 2015
Macnicol marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
David Bales
David Bales marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
K marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Deb added it
Jul 12, 2015
Gemma Franks
Gemma Franks marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Charity Balyeat
Charity Balyeat marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem
  • King's Arrow (Crown and Covenant, #2)
  • Beorn the Proud
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • Wilbur and Orville Wright: Young Fliers
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Henry Ford: Young Man With Ideas
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Shield Ring
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...
The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce Beric the Briton For the Temple Wulf the Saxon: A Story of the Norman Conquest