Start by marking “In a Blink (Never Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
In a Blink (Never Girls, #1)

In a Blink (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  855 ratings  ·  127 reviews
The Disney Fairies star in a magical all-new early chapter book series for kids ages 6 to 10-The Never Girls!

The smell of salt water, a gust of seabreeze, and the bell-like ringing of a fairy's laugh are the only hints that something magical is happening to Kate, Mia, Lainey, and Gabby. In a blink of an eye, the four friends are whisked out of their ordinary lives to the m
Published January 8th 2013 by Random House, Inc. (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In a Blink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Blink

Patricia
So, where is Peter Pan in all this? (My daughter cutely suggested that perhaps Peter Pan is on vacation and that "maybe Pixie Hollow has different rules than the rest of Neverland). What I mean is, why are the fairies and Clumsies so worried about being able to leave Neverland? Peter Pan took the Darlings back and should theoretically be able to take the Clumsies back. Peter Pan can fly back and forth between worlds after all. Perhaps, I missed the part in the book where we learn that there a Ne ...more
Linda Lou
I picked this book and the next one, The Space Bewteen, at Sams club. The titles intrigued me; but I was unable to open the books up since they ere wrapped in plastic. I did manage to get a peek, though, and decided that my six year old granddaughter would be able to read these, I gave in to my impulse to read In a Blink before sending it off to my granddaughter and I am glad I did. I found the story to be enjoyable and full of adventure. The development of the characters flowed well and they we ...more
Kaley
We are HUGE Peter Pan fans in our house, and could not be more thrilled with the many ways his legacy continues. This most recent nod to the boy who never grew up is every bit as much fun as we could have hoped for! This first book in a brand new series will delight parents who love Peter as much as the girls who will read it and want to be Never Girls themselves. My daughter is hooked already. Well done, Disney!
Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten)
This was absolutely adorable, clever, and very very well written.

This is a series I have to catch up with my daughter because she's on book six and she wants to buddy read. In the AR book system this is rated as 3.4 which is nearly halfway through third grade. This was a quick, yet clever and quite engaging read. I liked how each girl had a very solid personality, I found myself engaging more than others. Each fairy was adorable and I could see them in my head from the movies. Tinkerbelle seeme
Gianna Lekhraj
My 3 daughters loved it and we are on the search for the next one!
Becky Keir Grace
What a fun book! In a Blink is a quick read, but perfect for those 6-10 years old. I think this would be a great book for one of the book clubs I run.

Three friends, Mia, Kate and Lainey are playing soccer when the start to notice odd things happening. Then, Mia's little sister, Gabby begins talking to a fairy, and since she is known for her playing make believe, this does not strike them odd, until they all end up in Neverland! This caused quite a bit of chaos since "Clumsies" as the humans are
Mehsi
This looked like an interesting book, however I was mostly annoyed at the changing POVs at every moment, Tinkerbell is still a stupid fairy and should explode in a pile of fairy dust.

So since I am not really in the mood for a normal review, I will do my good/bad review.

Good:
-Yay! We are finally back at Neverland. So happy that someone decided to write books about it again. And this time not about Peter, oh no, about the fairies that live there.
-I love the fairies and their abilities. Each one ha
Sharon Tyler
In a Blink is a childrens book written by Kiki Thorpe and illustrated by R.H. Disney. It is scheduled for release on January 8 2013, and will begin a new Disney series titled Never Girls for readers between 6 and 10. Never Land is a place with a mind of its own. Sometimes it travels close to those that believe enough to visit. The story starts with three friends playing in the back yard. Kate, Mia, and Laney are having fun. However, they are quickly distracted by strange things happening and lit ...more
Amanda Caldwell
In a Blink is the story of four friends who are playing one day, when they are accidentally sent to Never Land. Never Land is a magical place filled with all sorts of lovely and enchanting things to discover, just like in the Disney movie Peter Pan. This book is based on the concept of that movie, but with a modern twist and so far no Peter Pan appears, though there is mention of "lost" children, who will never grow up. Even though there's no Peter Pan, there is, of course, fairies. Plenty of ne ...more
Estelle
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading

It’s been awhile since I read a kid’s chapter book, and what better than to tap into my love of all things Disney and fantastical? The Never Girls are three best friends with the addition of Mia’s little sister, Gabby, who are magically transported to the land of many talented fairies on an ordinary afternoon.

It’s sweet, cute, and a quick read and will certainly be enjoyable for the new reader or even to take along and read to the little fairies in yo
Alexandra
A very cute book for young readers, with good characters, and intriguing though simplistic enough writing. I definitely think this is a good series to get younger readers interested in reading. As a huge fan of Peter Pan and Neverland, I enjoyed this beginning of a new adventure set in one of my favorite worlds.

The story itself is enjoyable, and the concept wide enough for plenty more books. The drawings are cute but not cutesy, in a sort of watercolor style that would appeal to a variety of re
Rachel
Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
Take a trip to Never Land in In A Blink, the first book in a new series from Disney. In A Blink introduces readers to The Never Girls -- four friends who mysteriously find themselves in Pixie Hollow with the one and only Tinker Bell. Author Kiki Thorpe delivers this fun tale about fairies, friendship and magic and even includes several of Tinker Bell's well-known friends.

In a Blink is an early chapter book and has a 2.4 (second grade) readi
Bel
I've been reading this book with the kids as a bedtime story. It's 10 chapters long, each one ideal for a chapter per night. The storyline is pretty interesting, especially if you're a big Disney fan like we all are. Book 1 didn't really have much depth to it though, more of an opening storyline. I'm hoping the other books have a bit more going on. The story is basically about 4 girls who end up visiting Never Land. They spend majority of their time at Pixie Hollow, meeting Tinker Bell as well a ...more
Sandra the Nook Worm
I was so happy to see this as a library book, because I had been wanting to read it, but it is very short and they don't even give you a real sample if you want to consider it for purchase. Thank goodness I didn't pay for it either, because it is definitely not worth the cost! I do not recommend it to fans of the Tinkerbell movies either. Tinkerbell comes off as rude and it's mentioned that she doesn't like any "Clumsies" except Peter Pan and the clumsies a.k.a. humans even noticed that the firs ...more
Edward Creter
The people of Disney are soooo desperate to seduce us back into Neverland from its Peter Pan film (or films, as apparently there are two. Sad.) and that they should enforce guilt upon those of us who prefer not to believe in fairies. I still love my inner childhood and will continue to maintain the belief that magic and suchlike are so heinous and evil it's best often to not dabble into magical matters. But of course, I'm quite free to change that too...and so are my fans at GR, who should at le ...more
Shazzer
A sweet beginning to a new sub-series of Disney Fairies. Four girls find themselves accidentally transported to Neverland and in the company of the fairies of Pixie Hollow, including Tinker Bell, who's less than happy to see them. Readers new to the world of Pixie Hollow will get a tour and lots of tidbits, and fans of the earlier series will be glad to see some of their favorites return (me: Prilla! I love Prilla!) This will be an easy booktalk for fairy fans.
Rachel Holland
I'm a big Tinkerbell and Pixie Hollow fan. I've been eyeing this cute chapter book series for some time now just to get my fairy fix before the movie "The Pirate Fairy" was released. It was a short but fun read, and I will be recommending the series to parents at my work now!!!

Oh, and I'm definitely buying and reading the rest of the series because it will look so cute on my bookshelf. Maybe I'll start a Peter Pan shelve.
Allie L.
I finished reading this book-in a blink! (well, sort of)

I only read this book because I am a fan of the Disney Fairies. Because this book is meant for kids with a reading level of a 2nd-4th grader, it only took me about 35-40 minutes to read (not to mention the large font with the double-spaced type and illustrations that take up half the page at the beginning of each chapter.
Jessalyn King
I picked this up for illustration inspiration. The black and white illustrations are just lovely. As is the layout. Otherwise it's a decent book. The story is nice (although a little worrisome, from an adult's perspective), and the writing's mostly good, although a little stilted. All in all, better than I was expecting.
Laurel
This was a really fun book to read with the kids. My six year old liked it so much that she couldn't wait for me and took it to bed with her to read the whole thing herself. Its not great literature, but its a really fun hot dog book that definitely encourages reading. We will want to check out the whole series.
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
3.5 stars and I'm clapping because I believe! :-) The smell of salt water, a gust of sea breeze, and the bell-like ringing of a fairy's laugh are the only hints that something magical is happening to four girls. I'm a sucker for a cute Peter Pan story and this is perfect for beginner readers! :-)
Vanessa Perez
Four real girls who get to go to Neverland. My daughter loved it. I really like that it allowed her to use her imagination a little longer while providing elements of reality to build her reading skills. I would recommend this book for strong readers in first grade.
Addison Marshall
(Dictated by Addison; typed by Dad)

(Spoiler Alert!)

It's about Neverland. My favorite part was when Vidia and Kate took the pixie dust. I liked the page when they had flying lessons and one fell. Her name was Kate. There was a scary part I didn't like.
Basht
Llusion liked it, which is the biggest point because I didn't read it for me. The thing that I hated was that the characters are so far removed from the ones that are shown everywhere else. I mean when the hell has vidia ever stolen pixie dust? And why did every flipping job have a talent, when really they are broken down into groups. There aren't talents for every little thing. And the whole set up of pixie hollow was wrong, down to the homes and just... ugh!!!
Basically all these changes made
Kim
35 Read for Emilie, but I'm still counting it! Probably read it in July sometime
Stephanie
Story Synopsis:
Friends Kate, Lainy and Mia are playing outside in Mia’s yard when Gabby, Mia’s little sister, meets Prilla, a fairy from Pixie Hollow. Prilla is a rare talent fairy in that she is a blink fairy. She transports to the mainland to visit children when she blinks as it is her job to keep children believing in Fairies, which keeps them alive. Mia cannot believe her luck—she always knew fairies existed but imagine her surprise when she gets to talk with Prilla!

In a blink everything c
Madelyn
This was my eight-year-old granddaughter's choice for our two person book club, and the inaugural book. While trite and fairly unoriginal, I can see where young, female readers would enjoy the story. I was surprised by the lack of anything negative; no feelings of fright or being homesick for the girls spirited away in NeverLand, and no consequences for sneaking out at night or for stealing fairy dust to fly. I think I will offer up a classic like The Secret Garden for our next book to share.
Mel Raschke

The four girls who are transported to Pixie Hollow, (Fairyland), have distinct personalities and are more developed as characters than I've generally found in books like this at this reading level. There is a plot, some action, a bit of adventure, and some common sense decision making. Not to be a wise guy about it, but the heroines are not fashionistas, or shallow mean girls, or drippy incompetents
Vicki Jaeger
Nicely written. Is about real girls who fall into Never Never Land, specifically Tinkerbell's home of fairies. A fresh voice, modern but with a touch of whimsy. Not too overly sweet, will appeal to today's girls. Black & white art interspersed throughout book, was fun and worked within the layout.
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Amelia Bedelia Means Business (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #1)
  • Amy and the Missing Puppy (Critter Club, #1)
  • Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sister #1)
  • The Secret Promise (The Rescue Princesses, #1)
  • Trouble at Trident Academy
  • Belle: The Mysterious Message (Disney Princess Chapter Books)
  • If the Shoe Fits (Whatever After, #2)
  • Saige (Saige, #1)
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
  • Lara the Black Cat Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Magical Animals Fairies, #2)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • Frozen: The Junior Novelization
  • Princess Posey and the Perfect Present (Princess Posey, #2)
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • Dream Big, Little Pig!
KIKI THORPE has written or adapted over fifty books for children. A former children's book editor, she now writes full time from San Francisco.
More about Kiki Thorpe...

Disney Fairies: The Never Girls (9 books)
  • The Space Between (Disney Fairies: Never Girls #2)
  • A Dandelion Wish (Disney: The Never Girls, #3)
  • From the Mist (Disney: The Never Girls, #4)
  • Wedding Wings (Disney: The Never Girls, #5)
  • The Woods Beyond (Disney: The Never Girls, #6)
  • A Pinch of Magic (Disney: The Never Girls, #7)
  • Far from Shore (Disney: The Never Girls)
  • Before the Bell (Disney: The Never Girls)
The Trouble With Tink (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #1) Tink, North of Never Land (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #9) The Space Between (Disney Fairies: Never Girls #2) A Dandelion Wish (Disney: The Never Girls, #3) Vidia Meets Her Match (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #19)