Start by marking “The Juice: Vinous Veritas” as Want to Read:
The Juice: Vinous Veritas
Preview

The Juice: Vinous Veritas

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This new collection by the acclaimed novelist—and, according to Salon, “the best wine writer in America”—is generous and far-reaching, deeply knowledgeable and often hilarious.
For more than a decade, Jay McInerney’s vinous essays, now featured in The Wall Street Journal, have been praised by restaurateurs (“Filled with small courses and surprising and exotic flavors, edu
Published May 8th 2012 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Juice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Juice

Brian
The inside jacket of the book purports this to be a "master class in the almost infinite varieties of wine". Truthfully, I found this to be more about the people involved in making wine, than about the wine itself. Sure, there were some smattering of comments on various wines and styles of grapes, as well as regions, but the book become more about the people involved in wine. Which was disappointing, especially as none of the chapters really were very educational.

So, this was a sampler... a tast
Tuxlie
Mar 22, 2014 Tuxlie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

This new collection by the acclaimed novelist--and, according to Salon, "the best wine writer in America"--is generous and far-reaching, deeply knowledgeable and often hilarious.
For more than a decade, Jay McInerney's vinous essays, now featured in The Wall Street Journal, have been praised by restaurateurs ("Filled with small courses and surprising and exotic flavors, educational and delicious at the same time" --Mario Batali), by esteemed critics ("Brilliant, witty, comical, and often shamel

Max
AUDIOBOOK:
Very much Jay McInerney's take on wine. This can be wonderful as he intimately describes journeys to producers, astounding wines tasted in impeccable company, but it can also be tedious as Germany is dismissed as a country with confusing wine labels. I believed the book offered many inspirations for what wine to try next, but these must be sorted from his pre-Broadbent style of explaining wines as famous women. This process can be difficult if a reader is to determine if they would lik
Chris Lytle
The most recent collection of Mr McInerney's article on his adventures in the world of wine may have something for everyone ~ the trick will be finding the story(s) that will make you grab a corkscrew, pop open one of your fav bottles and with glass in hand dive into the rest of thee juicy tales.

There certainly is a variety of yearns to choose from here, nicely organized in some broad themes. At about 4 pages long each, these 'essays' can either be a nice light snack or a quick and quirky sample
Will
The Juice won't teach you much about the history of wine, or the genesis of modern wine styles, or the background of major players in the wine industry. The chapters are too short (usually about four pages) to dive deep. You won't learn much about the many types of wine covered in the book, although you'll learn enough to wish that McInerney had taken the time to tell an actual story about each one rather than calling it a day after a brief introduction. You will, however, find plenty of hazy re ...more
Kate
Oct 18, 2012 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: books
This collection of McInerney's wine columns for different magazines is a fun read, and has a lot of interesting and useful information on wines, wineries, and viticulture; it's great if you're interested in reading about 'wine culture' in the U.S. and Europe but aren't actually planning on participating in it.

But if you're looking for a book that will describe wines that are worth trying when you're on a slightly stricter budget than McInerney is working with (his low range is generally $30-$70)
James Phillips
Fun read on wine industry from WSJ reporter on wine
Jeanette Malhasian
excellent book for getting into the "wine culture"
Jada Tullos
Interesting. Entertaining. Moderately educational. Convenient for those who want to read a few pages before bed as each essay is standalone, although at least they are grouped thematically. Downside is the lack of a continuing story as this seems to be his WSJ columns strung together for the purpose of a book. Beware: Hints of an unapologetic sexist crop up in multiple essays.
Athena
Feb 23, 2013 Athena added it
All in all a pretty enjoyable read. McInerney is a good writer, and there are some terrific moments in the book. Since the book is mostly a collection of (some very) short essays that were published separately, though, you encounter a lot of repetition. You also start to envy his lifestyle by the end - but that is part of the fun, I think.
Jessica
Maybe it's just me, but I find reading about wine much like dancing about architecture--impossible to experience the actual beauty of the thing in the documented form. But I bet the audiobook playing in your ear while sipping a bottle of something great is a much more satisfying experience...
Joan Casey
A bit challenging to get through, but I felt a lot was gained.
Alex Kent
Well respected wine writer divulges his innermost affection for a varietal per chapter, in this wine lover's treat. A great read, but only for those who appreciate wine. I loved it!
Laurie
a very creative learning experience. I think that I do not know enough from his standpoint to really benefit. There are a couple of things I may try given the right time and place.
Valerie
A collection of columns about wine by novelist and wine lover/expert McInerney. Best read with a glass of your favorite wine in hand.
Jenny Cocanougher
A lucious read...makes one want to drink more, travel more and dream a lot !
Billy
he's so wealthy!
Cmeread
Cmeread marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
alana
alana marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
MC  Browne
MC Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Michelle Jackson
Michelle Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Alena Lechkova
Alena Lechkova marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
  • Uncorked: My Journey Through the Crazy World of Wine
  • Reading between the Wines
  • Soul Food: The Surprising Story of an American Cuisine, One Plate at a Time
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • How to Love Wine: A Memoir and Manifesto
  • Adventures on the Wine Route: A Wine Buyer's Tour of France
  • The Grapes of Ralph: Wine According to Ralph Steadman
  • Wine and War: The French, the Nazis, and the Battle for France's Greatest Treasure
  • Inventing Wine: A New History of One of the World's Most Ancient Pleasures
  • Scotch Whisky: A Liquid History
  • A Year of Pies: A Seasonal Tour of Home Baked Pies
  • Russ & Daughters: Reflections and Recipes from the House That Herring Built
  • Summer in a Glass: The Coming of Age of Winemaking in the Finger Lakes
  • Modern Art Desserts: Recipes for Cakes, Cookies, Confections, and Frozen Treats Based on Iconic Works of Art
  • The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World
  • Vegan Indian Cooking: 140 Simple and Healthy Vegan Recipes
  • Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint
  • Vino Italiano: The Regional Wines of Italy
John Barrett McInerney Jr. is an American writer. His novels include Bright Lights, Big City, Ransom, Story of My Life, Brightness Falls, and The Last of the Savages. He edited The Penguin Book of New American Voices, wrote the screenplay for the 1988 film adaptation of Bright Lights, Big City, and co-wrote the screenplay for the television film Gia, which starred Angelina Jolie. He is the wine co ...more
More about Jay McInerney...
Bright Lights, Big City Story of My Life Brightness Falls The Good Life The Last Of The Savages

“Rosania says. “To keep them to myself would be unimaginable. Wine is meant to be shared.” It’s a refreshing attitude, particularly if you are on the receiving end of it. The night before the auction I personally consumed, by my best estimate, over $20,000 worth of his wine—including the 1945 Mouton and the 1947 Cheval Blanc—and I was one of fourteen drinkers.” 0 likes