Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith: Religion in American War and Diplomacy

Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith: Religion in American War and Diplomacy

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A richly detailed, profoundly engrossing story of how religion has influenced American foreign relations, told through the stories of the men and women—from presidents to preachers—who have plotted the country’s course in the world.

Ever since John Winthrop argued that the Puritans’ new home would be “a city upon a hill,” Americans’ role in the world has been shaped by th...more
Published February 28th 2012 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

Hadrian
"[F]or our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen."

-Mark Twain, the War Prayer

To Andrew Preston, it is not a question of whether...more
Sarah Finch
An extremely thorough and intelligent guided tour of the interplay between religion and American foreign policy. Preston examines how so many great thinkers and statesmen (and some not so great ones) have seen war and diplomacy through the lens of religion. He goes in-depth with the influence of Reinhold Niebuhr, which proved to be the most enjoyable segments of the book for me, and also touches on the speeches and writings of everyone from Martin Luther King, Jr. to Pat Buchanan. Sadly, Dorothy...more
Beau
I think a better case could have been made that class conflict has played a bigger role than religion in American diplomacy and history. Preston sticks to well known historical figures and the occasional religious leader. Apparently government leaders and religious leaders were responsible for ending the Vietnam War. No mention of prohibition and religions role in that colossal fucking waste of time and funds. Butterfield would be proud of his objectivity. Take a freakin' stand Preston. Stop try...more
H Wesselius
As the author notes, the rest of the world ignore the influence of religion on US foreign policy at their peril. He presents a encyclopedic outline of the religious influence on foreign policy, the religious nature of the policy makers, etc. However, there are a number of difficulties for a reader -- the sheer volume, the differing time periods, the lack of cohesion and focus, and his inability to provide causation rather we are presented with correlation and coincidence. And more importantly he...more
Anthony
Profound, insightful, and well researched! Well worth the time!
Rancy Breece
"Sword..." is a fascinating look at how religion influences US foreign and, in some cases, domestic policy. It provides a unique perspective on American history as most focus on politics, social perspectives, military campaigns, etc. Preston provides a lot of information, and for the most part is making a good case for his perspective on the influence of religion on American foreign policy. It is not an easy or casual read so I expect it will take a while to finish.
Charles
I started this book with a certain amount of curiosity, but quickly became overwhelmed by the endless dissections of various religious sectarian beliefs & intrigues as they influenced American politics & diplomacy. So much so that I couldn't get past the 1/2 way mark in the book, & unlike the Israelites crossing the Red Sea, I couldn't get Divine intervention to hold the flood of information, and so didn't finish the crossing.
Anne
May 04, 2014 Anne added it
Very interesting. Quite dense and slow reading. Frames American history, character and actions as influenced by religion, religious beliefs. Even proposes that the passion that inspired the American Revolution was not so much about democracy as about fear of Church of England and Catholic Church. I only made it about 1/3 the way thru then had to return to the library. But I will take it up again.
Eunice
It is a big book - over 600 pages. I was not able to finish it as I had to return it to the library as others were waiting to borrow it. The author showed how much Christianity played a part in the history of America right from the beginning. It is well-written and balanced.
!Tæmbuŝu
Dec 27, 2012 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
Recommended to !Tæmbuŝu by: Foreign Affairs
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jake Moran
Jake Moran marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Graham
Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
B
B marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Matt Jessop
Matt Jessop marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Tim Barnes
Tim Barnes marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Joel Bruns
Joel Bruns marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Pragya Kirti
Pragya Kirti marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Charlotte Berends
Charlotte Berends is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Nixon in the World: American Foreign Relations, 1969-1977 The War Council: Mc George Bundy, The Nsc, And Vietnam The War Council: McGeorge Bundy, the Nsc, and Vietnam Rehab Handbook The Shock of the Global: The 1970s in Perspective