Start by marking “Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith: Religion in American War and Diplomacy” as Want to Read:
Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith: Religion in American War and Diplomacy

Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith: Religion in American War and Diplomacy

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A richly detailed, profoundly engrossing story of how religion has influenced American foreign relations, told through the stories of the men and women—from presidents to preachers—who have plotted the country’s course in the world.

Ever since John Winthrop argued that the Puritans’ new home would be “a city upon a hill,” Americans’ role in the world has been shaped by th
Published February 28th 2012 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword of the Spirit, Shield of Faith

"[F]or our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of love, of Him Who is the Source of Love, and Who is ever-faithful refuge and friend of all that are sore beset and seek His aid with humble and contrite hearts. Amen."

-Mark Twain, the War Prayer

To Andrew Preston, it is not a question of whether
Sarah Finch
An extremely thorough and intelligent guided tour of the interplay between religion and American foreign policy. Preston examines how so many great thinkers and statesmen (and some not so great ones) have seen war and diplomacy through the lens of religion. He goes in-depth with the influence of Reinhold Niebuhr, which proved to be the most enjoyable segments of the book for me, and also touches on the speeches and writings of everyone from Martin Luther King, Jr. to Pat Buchanan. Sadly, Dorothy ...more
I think a better case could have been made that class conflict has played a bigger role than religion in American diplomacy and history. Preston sticks to well known historical figures and the occasional religious leader. Apparently government leaders and religious leaders were responsible for ending the Vietnam War. No mention of prohibition and religions role in that colossal fucking waste of time and funds. Butterfield would be proud of his objectivity. Take a freakin' stand Preston. Stop try ...more
Andrew Preston explores the concept of American exceptionalism read through a religious lens. Beginning with John Winthrop declaring that the Puritans’ American settlement would be “a city on a hill” in the 17th century, Americans’ role in the world has been shaped by their belief that God has something special in mind for them. There are liberal and conservative strains of religious fervor (also pacifist and militant, internationalist and isolationist). Religion has continually been one of the ...more
This book provides a comprehensive view of the impact of religion on American foreign policy, from colonial times until the present. The author provides a detailed account, and he provides a subtle analysis that shows the differences between and among denominations. He often provides evidence to deepen the reader's understanding of major historical figures. Unfortunately, the book is organized badly, which makes it hard to follow at times, and the author contradicts himself in several instances.
H Wesselius
As the author notes, the rest of the world ignore the influence of religion on US foreign policy at their peril. He presents a encyclopedic outline of the religious influence on foreign policy, the religious nature of the policy makers, etc. However, there are a number of difficulties for a reader -- the sheer volume, the differing time periods, the lack of cohesion and focus, and his inability to provide causation rather we are presented with correlation and coincidence. And more importantly he ...more
Read this for a grad class.

I very much enjoyed this book. It was incredible writing. Incredible research. I'm not giving it five stars because there was the occasional argument that seemed a bit of a stretch. But yeah. Great book.
Profound, insightful, and well researched! Well worth the time!
Rancy Breece
"Sword..." is a fascinating look at how religion influences US foreign and, in some cases, domestic policy. It provides a unique perspective on American history as most focus on politics, social perspectives, military campaigns, etc. Preston provides a lot of information, and for the most part is making a good case for his perspective on the influence of religion on American foreign policy. It is not an easy or casual read so I expect it will take a while to finish.
I started this book with a certain amount of curiosity, but quickly became overwhelmed by the endless dissections of various religious sectarian beliefs & intrigues as they influenced American politics & diplomacy. So much so that I couldn't get past the 1/2 way mark in the book, & unlike the Israelites crossing the Red Sea, I couldn't get Divine intervention to hold the flood of information, and so didn't finish the crossing.
May 04, 2014 Anne added it
Very interesting. Quite dense and slow reading. Frames American history, character and actions as influenced by religion, religious beliefs. Even proposes that the passion that inspired the American Revolution was not so much about democracy as about fear of Church of England and Catholic Church. I only made it about 1/3 the way thru then had to return to the library. But I will take it up again.
It is a big book - over 600 pages. I was not able to finish it as I had to return it to the library as others were waiting to borrow it. The author showed how much Christianity played a part in the history of America right from the beginning. It is well-written and balanced.
Dec 27, 2012 !Tæmbuŝu marked it as to-read
Recommended to !Tæmbuŝu by: Foreign Affairs
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Jason marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Brendan McSherry
Brendan McSherry marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Amar Baines
Amar Baines marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Jason added it
Oct 09, 2015
Meaghan Milum
Meaghan Milum marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Mattathias Westwood
Mattathias Westwood marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Roberto Ramirez
Roberto Ramirez marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
David Webber
David Webber marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Ian Stiell
Ian Stiell marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Civil War as a Theological Crisis
  • When Time Shall Be No More: Prophecy Belief in Modern American Culture
  • From Bible Belt to Sunbelt: Plain-Folk Religion, Grassroots Politics, and the Rise of Evangelical Conservatism
  • A World Restored: Metternich, Castlereagh and the Problems of Peace, 1812-1822
  • States and Social Revolutions: A Comparative Analysis of France, Russia and China
  • Present at the Creation: My Years in the State Department
  • The Mormon People: The Making of an American Faith
  • Awash in a Sea of Faith: Christianizing the American People
  • Roger Williams and the Creation of the American Soul: Church, State, and the Birth of Liberty
  • Fundamentalism and American Culture
  • Works of William Shakespeare
  • Blessed: A History of the American Prosperity Gospel
  • If It's A Choice, My Zygote Chose Balls: Making Sense of Senseless Controversy
  • Cold War Civil Rights: Race and the Image of American Democracy