Start by marking “Handmade Houses: A Century of Earth-Friendly Home Design” as Want to Read:
Handmade Houses: A Century of Earth-Friendly Home Design

Handmade Houses: A Century of Earth-Friendly Home Design

Showcasing one hundred years of innovation and environmental sensitivity, Handmade Houses celebrates some of the world’s most idiosyncratic homes from Big Sur to Sardinia. Author Richard Olsen  unveils the components used for their construction, including driftwood, boulders, and even old wine vats.

The first study of the handmade-homes phenomenon since its inception in the
Published March 20th 2012 by Rizzoli

To ask other readers questions about Handmade Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handmade Houses

Courtney Campbell
Jul 26, 2012 Courtney Campbell rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this book and was about to post a review when I noticed the negatives by another reviewer about the "California overemphasis" of this book. I have to disagree with this assessment.

For me, the book makes it clear that the "handmade house" of the back to the land movement was a distinctive look and approach, one that was concerned with reclaimed materials and born in California (according to Olsen's introduction, in Marin County, Big Sur, and Canyon). The author explains ho
Bonnie
May 21, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it
This book began with so much promise, but then didn't quite deliver. It's really the book's presentation and layout that ended up bumming me out. He says he's going to cover the history of handmade houses including those by non-architects, but then he starts off with a bunch of pictures and captions (no narrative) and the captions are in this horrible typewriter font that is white and required my extra strength over the counter reading glasses to read. The captions are vague and leave more quest ...more
Sheila
Jul 15, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing

This book is so much fun! Every time I open it I get lost in amazement...first that my home is in it, then secondly by the wildly imaginative and gorgeous homes that inspire me to flights of fancy about my own.

Richard and crew did a great job capturing the times and thoughts of the builders!
Carolyn
Sep 20, 2012 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: architecture
A survey of recent hand-built houses that places individual houses and their builders in the context of a cultural movement that seems to have thrived particularly in California. Another reason to love this state. (state of mind) Wonderful array of examples, wonderful stories and characters, wonderfully inspirational.
Melissa
Mar 19, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
To be completely honest, I didn't actually read this book. I picked it up looking for inspiring photos, and it's chock full of those. Every time I page through it, I want to start building immediately. If you want handmade house eye candy, this book definitely delivers. As for the text? Better to check out what other reviewers are saying... ;)
Laura Ellison
Aug 05, 2015 Laura Ellison rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, crafting
If you have ever wanted to build a house into an environment, this is the book for you. It has some amazing examples of tree houses where you feel as if you are actually part of the tree itself. It is a really cool book to look through.
Kelly
Aug 28, 2013 Kelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed, essays, photos
I really expected something different from this book- it's a bit too hippie for me. I did enjoy the pictures, however, and skimmed most of the text.
Amanda Radak
Apr 09, 2013 Amanda Radak rated it really liked it
Great pictures, gives the history of each house (builder, owners, current residents).
Stephen
Mar 17, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it
Inspiring.
Jane Boss
Jane Boss rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Annette McIntyre
Annette McIntyre rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Ian Woods
Ian Woods rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Alison Steingold
Alison Steingold rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2012
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Shaima
Shaima rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Eric Smith Dubois
Eric Smith Dubois rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Janey Bennett
Janey Bennett rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2013
ann hurley
ann hurley rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Claudia Burdick
Claudia Burdick rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Michele A.
Michele A. rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Russell Williamson
Russell Williamson rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015