Start by marking “Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips” as Want to Read:

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  26 reviews
From sinking a seed into the soil through to sitting down to enjoy a meal made with vegetables and fruits harvested right outside your back door, this gorgeous kitchen gardening book is filled with practical, useful information for both novices and seasoned gardeners alike. Grow Cook Eat will inspire people who already buy fresh, seasonal, local, organic food to grow the f ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Sasquatch Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Grow Cook Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow Cook Eat

Ann Keller
What a wonderful resource this book is! From planning your garden, fertilizing and preventing disease and pests, the author provides good instruction for the amateur gardener. Those with more experience will definitely enjoy the chapters devoted to particular types of vegetables, such as legumes, the cabbage family, fruits and herbs.

The author also includes dozens of savory recipes for cooking your garden’s produce. Lemony Broccoli Rabe sounded very appealing, as did the recipes for Strawberry B
Elena
Advice for the Northwest gardener and cook. I like that the book includes not only how to grow but also how to prepare veggies that grow well in the Pacific Northwest area..
Martha
As the title suggests, this is a manual for growing your own food and enjoying the nutrition from it's preparation. After a chapter on gardening essentials which includes potential problems and pest control, you will learn how to harvest, freeze, dry, store or use some basic foods. There are more edible parts to most plants than I ever realized. And did I mention the gorgeous pictures! At least 50 tantalizing recipes. I would keep this book another two weeks (I've had it for six) but someone els ...more
Charlotte
Not being a professional gardener I found "Grow Cook Eat" a great resource to get started. The book is easy to access and has plenty of information that makes my other books in the same area obsolete. I have the paper back version and was worried that it might break fast with frequent use due to its size, but no problems so far.
"Grow Cook Eat" starts out with 'Gardening Fundamentals' where you learn about the quality of the soil in your garden, how to plant seasonally and extend your garden ove
Sara
This is a pretty book (pictures are more eye candy than helpful), but I don't find really pretty books do well on the kitchen counter or while I'm running in with dirty hands to double check how far apart I meant to plant my tomatoes. I love both gardening and cooking (and eating too), so I like this book in theory. I'm not sure, however, that the organization is really useful. There may be a good reason I have garden books and cookbooks. Also, the size of this book makes it one I'm less likely ...more
Fantastic gardening book. I've long enjoyed Willi's website, digginfood.com, and I also love her on A Dry Rain podcast, and this book did not disappoint. Lots of excellent planting/caretaking adviee (including when to water certain plants which I always seem to need guidance with) and ideas on how to eat what you grow in all stages of their lifecycle. The recipes all look good and aren't complicated, but I espeically am looking forward to trying:
Mustard Green Turnovers
Swiss Chard Quesdillas
Spicy
Chloé Stuff
Nice read, great information

I'm a beginner when it comes to gardening so I really enjoyed the authors suggestions and specific advice. The recipes are a nice addition as well. I'm really excited to start planting!
Robin
This book is a great resource for vegetable and herb gardening. I can see myself going back to it repeatedly, for it shares practical, very doable ideas for keeping my vegetable garden happy. Additional, I've known things like radish seeds and squash blossoms are edible, but now I feel inspired to try them.
Marissa
The photos in this book are just beautiful, and there is a lot of handy information too. It goes over some basics of gardening and composting and then breaks it down by plant families to focus on the best ways to grow and plant the various herbs, fruits, and veggies. Each plant highlighted also gets explanation of storage, recommended varieties, and a featured recipe. Another nice feature is that Galloway shares the different parts of the plant you can eat beyond what you see in the grocery stor ...more
Cynthia
Grow, Eat, Cook is perfect if you are wondering what to do with your abundant harvest. It is organized by vegetable so look up is easy. Galloway provides information on everything from when to pick to what parts of the plant are edible including the not so obvious - like peas, there's more to peas than you think. Plus she has food prep and storage tips and recipes. Not complicated recipes with tons of ingreadients to shop for, but recipe ideas you can build on. I love that. I don't collect cookb ...more
Laureen Cutrona
This book is great! I need to add this to my collection- for gardening and for cooking!
Jessica
Lots of glossy recipes and crop-by-crop breakdown, but also some decent instructions at the beginning. Nice and clear for a beginning edibles gardener, but a real beginner could likely also use some other sources in addition to this one.
Bill Thorness
This book makes me hungry. It has great, easy recipes and mouth-watering photos. But Willi (full disclosure: a friend of mine) also offers practical tips for growing the vegetables used in the recipes. An all-around useful book that can make a cook out of a gardener, and a gardener out of a cook!
Theresa
If you buy one cookbook this year, make it this one! Part gardening guide, part cookbook, it brings together the farm-to-table movement through beautiful pictures, delicious and simple recipes, with no-nonsense guides to planting , growing and harvesting.

I will treasure this book forever.
Cindy
EXCELLENT!!! I was impressed with the information provided and the recipes were actually something I might eat (I hate it when its weird stuff). I checked this book out from the library, but its now on my "must have" book list. I'll be picking it up soon to plan for spring sowing.
Nancy
Simple growing and harvesting instructions. Basic recipes. Good for beginning gardeners and cooks. Not every recipe is pictured, but the ones shown are beautifully photographed, as are the vegetables.
Bronwyn
This is a fantastic book for Pacific Northwest gardeners who have a little bit of an idea of what they're doing already, but need some guidance that is tailored to the unique mild and wet ecosystem.
Tina
If you haven't gardened before or aren't much of a cook than this book is for you. If you grew up on a hobby farm and cook and bake daily then this book is a bore. I ended up skimming it.
SJ Cheng
Loved this gardening instruction/cookbook! Beautiful photos, detailed planting and harvesting info, and delectable recipes. This is one you will not regret adding to your collection.
Bree
Notes:
didn't use the recipes
photos are gorgeous
like the book's layout
instructions on growing, harvesting and storing very helpful
covers herbs, veggies and some fruits
Jess
A beautiful reference guide that is especially helpful for beginning organic gardeners. I particularly liked the sections on composting and soil prep.
AJ
This book is beautiful and well written, but I've read so many similar books that I don't see any need for it in my library.
Marcia
I may be able to tame the raspberries in my yard this year thanks to this book. Great gardening support and wonderful recipes.
Brittany
Beautiful photographs, helpful but limited information, and some good recipes.
Michelle
Beautiful book. Simple, easy to follow ideas and instructions.
Alicia
Jan 09, 2013 Alicia marked it as to-read
Christmas gift - can't wait to try this out!!!
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables
  • Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces
  • The Farm: Rustic Recipes for a Year of Incredible Food
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Edible Landscaping
  • The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • Herbivoracious: A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Modern Pioneering: More Than 150 Recipes, Projects, and Skills for a Self-Sufficient Life
  • Backyard Foraging: 65 Familiar Plants You Didn't Know You Could Eat