Start by marking “Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips” as Want to Read:

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From sinking a seed into the soil through to sitting down to enjoy a meal made with vegetables and fruits harvested right outside your back door, this gorgeous kitchen gardening book is filled with practical, useful information for both novices and seasoned gardeners alike. Grow Cook Eat will inspire people who already buy fresh, seasonal, local, organic food to grow the f...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Sasquatch Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Grow Cook Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow Cook Eat

Ann Keller
What a wonderful resource this book is! From planning your garden, fertilizing and preventing disease and pests, the author provides good instruction for the amateur gardener. Those with more experience will definitely enjoy the chapters devoted to particular types of vegetables, such as legumes, the cabbage family, fruits and herbs.

The author also includes dozens of savory recipes for cooking your garden’s produce. Lemony Broccoli Rabe sounded very appealing, as did the recipes for Strawberry B...more
Elena
Advice for the Northwest gardener and cook. I like that the book includes not only how to grow but also how to prepare veggies that grow well in the Pacific Northwest area..
Martha
As the title suggests, this is a manual for growing your own food and enjoying the nutrition from it's preparation. After a chapter on gardening essentials which includes potential problems and pest control, you will learn how to harvest, freeze, dry, store or use some basic foods. There are more edible parts to most plants than I ever realized. And did I mention the gorgeous pictures! At least 50 tantalizing recipes. I would keep this book another two weeks (I've had it for six) but someone els...more
Sara
This is a pretty book (pictures are more eye candy than helpful), but I don't find really pretty books do well on the kitchen counter or while I'm running in with dirty hands to double check how far apart I meant to plant my tomatoes. I love both gardening and cooking (and eating too), so I like this book in theory. I'm not sure, however, that the organization is really useful. There may be a good reason I have garden books and cookbooks. Also, the size of this book makes it one I'm less likely...more
Robin
This book is a great resource for vegetable and herb gardening. I can see myself going back to it repeatedly, for it shares practical, very doable ideas for keeping my vegetable garden happy. Additional, I've known things like radish seeds and squash blossoms are edible, but now I feel inspired to try them.
Marissa
The photos in this book are just beautiful, and there is a lot of handy information too. It goes over some basics of gardening and composting and then breaks it down by plant families to focus on the best ways to grow and plant the various herbs, fruits, and veggies. Each plant highlighted also gets explanation of storage, recommended varieties, and a featured recipe. Another nice feature is that Galloway shares the different parts of the plant you can eat beyond what you see in the grocery stor...more
Cynthia
Grow, Eat, Cook is perfect if you are wondering what to do with your abundant harvest. It is organized by vegetable so look up is easy. Galloway provides information on everything from when to pick to what parts of the plant are edible including the not so obvious - like peas, there's more to peas than you think. Plus she has food prep and storage tips and recipes. Not complicated recipes with tons of ingreadients to shop for, but recipe ideas you can build on. I love that. I don't collect cookb...more
Laureen Cutrona
This book is great! I need to add this to my collection- for gardening and for cooking!
Theresa
If you buy one cookbook this year, make it this one! Part gardening guide, part cookbook, it brings together the farm-to-table movement through beautiful pictures, delicious and simple recipes, with no-nonsense guides to planting , growing and harvesting.

I will treasure this book forever.
Jessica
Lots of glossy recipes and crop-by-crop breakdown, but also some decent instructions at the beginning. Nice and clear for a beginning edibles gardener, but a real beginner could likely also use some other sources in addition to this one.
Bill Thorness
This book makes me hungry. It has great, easy recipes and mouth-watering photos. But Willi (full disclosure: a friend of mine) also offers practical tips for growing the vegetables used in the recipes. An all-around useful book that can make a cook out of a gardener, and a gardener out of a cook!
Cindy
EXCELLENT!!! I was impressed with the information provided and the recipes were actually something I might eat (I hate it when its weird stuff). I checked this book out from the library, but its now on my "must have" book list. I'll be picking it up soon to plan for spring sowing.
Nancy
Simple growing and harvesting instructions. Basic recipes. Good for beginning gardeners and cooks. Not every recipe is pictured, but the ones shown are beautifully photographed, as are the vegetables.
Bronwyn
This is a fantastic book for Pacific Northwest gardeners who have a little bit of an idea of what they're doing already, but need some guidance that is tailored to the unique mild and wet ecosystem.
Tina
If you haven't gardened before or aren't much of a cook than this book is for you. If you grew up on a hobby farm and cook and bake daily then this book is a bore. I ended up skimming it.
SJ Cheng
Loved this gardening instruction/cookbook! Beautiful photos, detailed planting and harvesting info, and delectable recipes. This is one you will not regret adding to your collection.
Bree
Notes:
didn't use the recipes
photos are gorgeous
like the book's layout
instructions on growing, harvesting and storing very helpful
covers herbs, veggies and some fruits
Jess
A beautiful reference guide that is especially helpful for beginning organic gardeners. I particularly liked the sections on composting and soil prep.
AJ
This book is beautiful and well written, but I've read so many similar books that I don't see any need for it in my library.
Marcia
I may be able to tame the raspberries in my yard this year thanks to this book. Great gardening support and wonderful recipes.
Brittany
Beautiful photographs, helpful but limited information, and some good recipes.
Michelle
Beautiful book. Simple, easy to follow ideas and instructions.
Alicia
Jan 09, 2013 Alicia marked it as to-read
Christmas gift - can't wait to try this out!!!
Natalia Román díaz
Natalia Román díaz marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Susant
Susant added it
Sep 09, 2014
Patrina Huff
Patrina Huff marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Edible Landscaping
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Chicken and Egg: A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Put 'em Up!: A Comprehensive Home Preserving Guide for the Creative Cook, from Drying and Freezing to Canning and Pickling
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
  • Food in Jars: Preserving in Small Batches Year-Round
  • Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Home made
  • Independence Days: A Guide to Sustainable Food Storage & Preservation
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Jam It, Pickle It, Cure It: And Other Cooking Projects
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth