Start by marking “Facing the Hunter” as Want to Read:
Facing the Hunter

Facing the Hunter

David Adams Richards takes us behind his gun and into the Canadian forest for his most powerful work of non-fiction yet.

In his brilliant non-fiction, David Adams Richards - first and foremost one of Canada's greatest and best-beloved novelists - has been writing a kind of memoir by other means. Like his previous titles Lines On Water, about his pursuit of angling, and Hock
Published October 18th 2011 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Hunter

Jacob
Aug 12, 2012 Jacob rated it liked it
I started off really enjoying this book. Richards puts forward a number of quality arguments while simultaneously playing upon the romanticism I believe exists inside everyone regarding the wilderness. The only problem with this is that if you're going to make these remarks within the book's first forty pages you need to make sure by page two hundred or so that you're making new points without entirely repeating yourself.

There is some quality wisdom in this book, and the last two paragraphs def
Shonna Froebel
Dec 17, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian
This book is a reflection on hunting, from a man who has hunted since he was a child, and who still hunts. Richards looks at the way of life he grew up with and that the people he knows well grew up with and pulls back the curtain on that for the rest of us. He talks about the current popular stance against hunting and the perceptions of hunting that the people who take that stance have. He talks about those who give hunting a bad name.
I grew up in a family where my father hunted occasionally an
Chris
Apr 12, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok
As much as I love Richards' lilting rhythm, it seems the decision was never made with this book as to whether it was an argument, a memoir, a collection of essays or a collection of nonfiction stories. Not that I'm necessarily against mixing genres, but the end result came across as "Here are a bunch of things that pissed me off about city slickers and Canadian writers over the past 20 years," which might have been enjoyable over a beer or a coffee out at Richards' camp, but it made for a tough ...more
Dana Larose
Jan 01, 2015 Dana Larose rated it really liked it
Part memoir, part defense of the rural, hunting lifestyle that the author grew up in. I'm guessing it was written (in a small part) in response to the long gun registry brouhaha and Richards felt people who hunted as part of their heritage were getting lumped in with criminals by urban snobs.

While I have zero interest in hunting, what I did really like about the book was the sense of place. Being a military brat, I don't have much connection to a particular place and my parents were not the typ
Chantale
Dec 29, 2011 Chantale rated it really liked it
Made me want to be out in the forest in New Brunswick enjoying nature and observing deer and moose from a safe distance. Although Richards suggests that all omnivores should hunt at least once, I wasn't convinced at the end of the book to pursue my hunting license. An interesting look at how hunting has evolved by sharing the hunting stories of family and friends over the years.

He makes you worry about how we are distancing ourselves from our food and how this affects what we eat today. I have
Susan
Jan 14, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Love his wonderful prose. "The air had a sweet scent to it, of musk and rut trials, and there was a loneliness to it; and in all the world there is nothing that can measure the kind of solitude one feels from this peculiar scent in the woods at twilight - it is sanctifying..."

Love his honesty. "My neighbours do not understand me. That I am the fellow who devoted his life to writing books - they cannot seem to get their head around it. But their hearts are very much the same, and their love exten
Kevin Gallan
The best nonfiction book i have read this year.David Adams Richards is one of Canada finest writers.i felt that we were sitting at my kitchen table and talking while having a beer.As i read i could smell the woods and was remembering hunting the places he talked about but you don't have to be a hunter to enjoy this book.Just to care about our wildlife and the wilderness that surrounds is enough.
Sarah Boon
Jan 12, 2013 Sarah Boon rated it it was amazing
A very different book than I'm used to reading. An elegy for the Miramichi Valley of New Brunswick and Richards' way of life there before moving to Toronto. A tribute to the blue collar locals and their legendary bush skills, and to hunting and fishing as a way of life and a way of both conserving - and communing with - nature.
Ward
Ward rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Craig Hamilton
Craig Hamilton rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Jessica Brooks
Jessica Brooks rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Eric Scammell
Eric Scammell rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Jess Johnson
Jess Johnson rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Kasie
Kasie rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Toriedactyl
Toriedactyl rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
Jonathan Danyliw
Jonathan Danyliw rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Tim Jewitt
Tim Jewitt rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2015
Don Mcvicar
Don Mcvicar rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2014
Sheila MacKenzie
Sheila MacKenzie rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Koula
Koula rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Kam Oles
Kam Oles rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Melissa Gifkins
Melissa Gifkins rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Sem
Sem rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2013
Ken Maxon
Ken Maxon rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2013
Ryan Ferizovic
Ryan Ferizovic rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2013
elle i
elle i added it
Dec 22, 2011
Fritzov
Fritzov marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2012
Marc Jackson
Marc Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Josh
Josh is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2012
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2012
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Aug 15, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2012
Michael Garofalo
Michael Garofalo marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2013
James Piper
James Piper marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
thomas
thomas marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2013
Blaine
Blaine added it
Dec 16, 2013
Adam Timperley
Adam Timperley marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Lando
Lando marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Rejoice
Rejoice marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kirsten Hansen
Kirsten Hansen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Steve Saindon
Steve Saindon marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
tia
tia marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
P Mcdonald
P Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
T.W.
T.W. marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
David Adams Richards (born 17 October 1950) is a Canadian novelist, essayist, screenwriter and poet.

Born in Newcastle, New Brunswick, Richards left St. Thomas University in Fredericton, New Brunswick, one course shy of completing a B.A. Richards has been a writer-in-residence at various universities and colleges across Canada, including the University of New Brunswick.

Richards has received numerou
More about David Adams Richards...