Start by marking “Left-Handed: Poems” as Want to Read:
Left-Handed: Poems

Left-Handed: Poems

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
An emotionally riveting collection that tells a powerful story of passion, loss, and transformation.

Left-handed unfolds in the manner of an intense, searching novella. At its center is a one-way dialogue with an elusive character who beguiles and torments but also inspires the unnamed narrator, who at midlife is telling the tale.

These poems—decisive, wrenching, exquisite—s
hardcover, 128 pages
Published March 20th 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Left-Handed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left-Handed

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 16, 2014 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry, read2014
These poems were difficult to read. I was much more interested in the background story that I read about that apparently prompted this book of poetry - love unrequited then requited, or was it the other way around?

Many of the poem occupy an inch or two horizontally, which is a difficult amount of space to say anything in. The only thing I liked and connected with was the Envoi at the front of the volume.

I don't mean to be harsh. This might be poetry for someone else, it just wasn't for me.
Adam Dunn
May 20, 2012 Adam Dunn rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt
There's a lot going on with this book. The author wrote for and about a time when he left his wife and kids for another man, literary agent Bill Clegg. It's not like you can fully understand that from the text though. It seems the author hides a lot behind poetic license and double talk to mar the situation and hide his feelings.

Certain elements ring true, the infatuation phase of love is clearly conveyed. His wonder of Clegg is apparent but you can see the path he's on from the beginning. He ov
Matthew
Oct 28, 2014 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Some amazing lines, and one or two poems really blew me away, but Galassi's refusal to part from the super-short line bogs him down more than it lifts him up. Also, he lets formal structures -- rhyme requirements, for instance -- influence his diction too noticeably, which makes for an awkward word choice here and there. Ultimately a decent book -- those or two poems are worth the read alone.
Diann Blakely
“Men at forty,” as Donald Justice wrote, learn to turn their backs, or close doors—“softly”— on youth and long-passed opportunities as part of their accommodation to a life of mortgages, the body’s increasing betrayals, and other failures of middle age. Perhaps the most painful of these stem from love and marriage, as well as the domestic life that sometimes confines men as inescapably as it does women, though the emotional content of poems that are mirror-images of Justice’s abound too—just pic ...more
Jeffrey Cyphers Wright
Sep 03, 2012 Jeffrey Cyphers Wright rated it it was amazing
A dash of Verlaine steals through these tender, hopeful and indestructible verses. Jonathan Galassi shows a full hand, touching on all the high notes of romance, longing, seduction and keen observation.
The most hard-hitting poems reside in a rarified atmosphere of economy and splendor. “The Scarf” mopes about a lover’s disaffection. “When or if you wear / your Loro Piana scarf / the one I gave you…,” is intimate, capturing silken angst with concision.
Galassi underpins his poems with radiant thr
willowdog
I really enjoyed this collection of poetry. If poetry allows one to see things and feel emotions that are there and brings them to the forefront, these poems are very effective. I liked the construct of the poems and the address to you. However, unless one is aware of the backstory, one could put any meaning to these poems--not necessarilly to a gay theme. Again, although very well done, I have to vote no.
Amy Paget
Jun 13, 2015 Amy Paget rated it it was amazing
A powerfully lyrical book of 50 poems tracing the course of a love affair. Images alive to nature, the city, and relationships. Masterful.
Maha A
Dec 31, 2015 Maha A rated it it was ok
This was uninteresting and kinda confusing to be honest...
Michelle
May 06, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, 2012, poems-verse
Memoir written in verse by a man who happens to be the Publisher of one of the major houses (Farrar, Straus and Giroux). It is about his obsession with literary agent Bill Clegg, whose memoir I read recently thus I felt compelled to read this. The poems are lovely and the (then-married) man’s anguish is clear. Alas, I could not help but find it all a little pathetic. Maybe it was the age difference? The knowledge Clegg probably didn’t give two shits about him? Clegg is a real a-hole. The writing ...more
Khulood
Apr 12, 2014 Khulood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best modern poetry book I've read so far.
Salvatore
Jan 31, 2014 Salvatore rated it did not like it
I could do without these.
Fred Misurella
Mar 30, 2013 Fred Misurella rated it really liked it
A nice collection of poems by the translator of two great Italian poets: Montale and Leopardi. But Galassi has his own quiet voice, and it comes through with impressive strength, wit, and humanity in this collection as he details his life and loves in New York, Rome, and elsewhere, especially while, as we like to say now, "changing his orientation" as a lover.
Velvetmartini
May 29, 2013 Velvetmartini rated it really liked it
Thick with emotion, both staidly coherent and chaotically fluid. The author has described it as a change-of-life collection, meant to be read from beginning to end, unusual for a book of poems. The poems range of raw and organic to almost quaintly antique in their structure.
Holly Woodward
Jun 11, 2015 Holly Woodward rated it really liked it
The poems are intense, intelligent, and finely honed, like lines inscribed on knives the author holds to his own throat.
Has anyone noticed that, like Shakespeare's poems, they are addressed variously to a man and to a woman?
Jun 12, 2012 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Read my review on New York Journal of Books: http://nyjournalofbooks.com/review/le...
Edward
Jun 23, 2012 Edward rated it really liked it
Simple, gorgeous mid-life angst and revelation.
James
Jun 25, 2012 James rated it really liked it
Excellent.
David
David is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Yvonne Siderius
Yvonne Siderius marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Brenda Shufelt
Brenda Shufelt marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Mar 31, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Agboola Ogbulu
Agboola Ogbulu marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Sushmitha Dsouza
Sushmitha Dsouza marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Yvonne Zipter
Yvonne Zipter marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jonathan Galassi born 1949 in Seattle, Washington, is the President and Publisher of Farrar, Straus and Giroux, one of the eight major publishers in New York. He began his publishing career at Houghton Mifflin in Boston, moved to Random House in New York, and finally, to Farrar, Straus & Giroux. He joined FSG as executive editor in 1985, after being fired from Random House. Two years later, he ...more
More about Jonathan Galassi...