Start by marking “Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics” as Want to Read:
Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics

Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  18 reviews
One of the most beloved country music stars of all time gives us the first collection of her lyrics and, in her own words, tells the stories that inspired her most popular songs, such as "Coal Miner's Daughter," "Don't Come Home A' Drinkin'," and, of course, "I'm a Honky Tonk Girl."

Loretta Lynn's rags-to-riches story--from her hardscrabble childhood in Butcher Holler, Ken
Published April 3rd 2012 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Honky Tonk Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honky Tonk Girl

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Day the Music Died by Ed Gorman
Book and Theme from Song Title or Lyrics
51st out of 218 books — 38 voters
Rumors by Anna GodbersenThe Lightkeeper's Ball by Colleen CobleThe Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady CrossShattered Souls by Mary LindseyJuliet Immortal by Stacey Jay
Girl in a Red Dress
122nd out of 225 books — 113 voters

More lists with this book...

I must admit I was hoping for more. The photos are excellent, and some of the information provided is nice, but if you've read her previous memoirs, you already know most of the stories. The text was sparse, and what was offered became a bit repetitive - in some cases she didn't even paraphrase, but just used the same quote a few different times.

I would have preferred to hear the story behind more of the songs, and with a bit more depth. She delves into Fist City a little more, but that's about
Jennifer Rayment
The Good Stuff

Always had a soft spot for Loretta Lynn (Though to be honest I am always shocked that she doesn't look like Sissy Spacek LOL!) , even-though I am not a fan of country music. My parents took me and my cousin when we were like 10 to see Coal Miners Daughter and I have been interested in her ever since.
Charming and self effacing look into the inspiration behind her songs
Unique idea
Pictures are a lovely bonus
Classy foreword by Elvis Costello
Quite funny at times, which I won't lie
Denise Jo
I really like Loretta Lynn and she was my husbands favorite female country singer. I love her stories and have followed her for many years. I enjoyed this book which had little explanations of her albums and some of the songs all done with the lyrics of her songs. I especially liked the unpublished writings that were included. I thought there would be more explanation to the songs, along with more the lyrics that she said wouldn't fit, but they weren't there. No matter what, I enjoyed this Queen ...more
Sep 20, 2012 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Loretta Lynn fans
No new insight here if you've read her other books already. I was hoping for a few more specific stories like the one she gives for "Fist City" (...there was this female bus driver...) but it is just more of the usual Loretta being an adorable old country person. So totally worth the night I spent reading it, of course. And her songwriting is so impressive for a.) her cleverness, and b.) the sheer number of songs. There were a bunch of good photos too, many of which I'd seen before, but some tha ...more
No one can write a song like Loretta!
Dec 14, 2014 Kaimyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Loretta is one of my favorites!
This is about as close to poetry as I get and Loretta Lynn's life in lyrics is completely immersive. The back story behind songs (from well-known to unreleased) is fascinating and the lyrics themselves are full of all the love and heartache country music is known for.

A great gift book.

The lyrics to her songs, some of them unpublished. The stories behind some of the songs. Also included are pictures from thoughout her life and comments from other musicians. I think even a non-fan would find this interesting.
Loretta Lynn is one of my favorites. She exudes such confidence and such a quick wit, it makes me want to be her when I grow up. I enjoyed reading the lyrics to some of my favorite songs and some that I never knew.
I did love this. Loretta went out of her way to engage me, and to spill her guts without seeming like an emotional disaster. She's been through a lot in her life. I can relate to her lyrics and her style of life.
I grew up listening to Loretta Lynn & Crystal Gayle. I'm always amazed by her honesty & strength. Loved the stories & pictures she shared!
May 09, 2012 VaughanPL added it
Shelves: nonfiction
click here to find it in the catalogue.
Loretta Lynn tells her story through the many lyrics of the songs she has written and sung. Very inspiring book.
Paige Gregory
This book is amazing! Not to mention, I loved all of the pictures in the book as well :)
My mother read this and gave it a 5-star rating!
May 22, 2015 Dy-an rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: verse
Matthew Ramos
Matthew Ramos marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Carla marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Daniell marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Erin Farmer
Erin Farmer marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Evelyn Westbury
Evelyn Westbury marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Sunny Mercuriadis
Sunny Mercuriadis marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • The Girl in the Song: The Stories Behind 50 Rock Classics
  • Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music
  • Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll: The Science of Hedonism and the Hedonism of Science
  • Found: A Daughter's Journey Home
  • Society's Child: My Autobiography
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • Is This the Real Life?: The Untold Story of Queen
  • The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?
  • I'm Just Sayin'!: Three Deaths, Seven Husbands, and a Clone! My Life as a Daytime Diva
  • Smart Blonde: Dolly Parton
  • Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life
  • Growing Up Again: Life, Love and Oh Yeah, Diabetes
  • Legend of a Rock Star: A Memoir: The Last Testament of Dee Dee Ramone
  • Shirley Jones: A Memoir
Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter Still Woman Enough: A Memoir Cu You're Cookin' It Country: My Favorite Recipes and Memories Coal Miner's Daughter Loretta Lynn: The Cinderella Story (her pictorial history)