Start by marking “Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics” as Want to Read:
Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics

Honky Tonk Girl: My Life in Lyrics

One of the most beloved country music stars of all time gives us the first collection of her lyrics and, in her own words, tells the stories that inspired her most popular songs, such as "Coal Miner's Daughter," "Don't Come Home A' Drinkin'," and, of course, "I'm a Honky Tonk Girl."

Loretta Lynn's rags-to-riches story--from her hardscrabble childhood in Butcher Holler, Ken
Published April 3rd 2012 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Honky Tonk Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honky Tonk Girl

Graceann
Sep 22, 2014 Graceann rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
I must admit I was hoping for more. The photos are excellent, and some of the information provided is nice, but if you've read her previous memoirs, you already know most of the stories. The text was sparse, and what was offered became a bit repetitive - in some cases she didn't even paraphrase, but just used the same quote a few different times.

I would have preferred to hear the story behind more of the songs, and with a bit more depth. She delves into Fist City a little more, but that's about
Jennifer Rayment
Apr 20, 2012 Jennifer Rayment rated it really liked it
The Good Stuff

Always had a soft spot for Loretta Lynn (Though to be honest I am always shocked that she doesn't look like Sissy Spacek LOL!) , even-though I am not a fan of country music. My parents took me and my cousin when we were like 10 to see Coal Miners Daughter and I have been interested in her ever since.
Charming and self effacing look into the inspiration behind her songs
Unique idea
Pictures are a lovely bonus
Classy foreword by Elvis Costello
Quite funny at times, which I won't lie
Stephanie
Sep 19, 2012 Stephanie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Loretta Lynn fans
No new insight here if you've read her other books already. I was hoping for a few more specific stories like the one she gives for "Fist City" (...there was this female bus driver...) but it is just more of the usual Loretta being an adorable old country person. So totally worth the night I spent reading it, of course. And her songwriting is so impressive for a.) her cleverness, and b.) the sheer number of songs. There were a bunch of good photos too, many of which I'd seen before, but some tha ...more
Denise Jo
Jun 23, 2012 Denise Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I really like Loretta Lynn and she was my husbands favorite female country singer. I love her stories and have followed her for many years. I enjoyed this book which had little explanations of her albums and some of the songs all done with the lyrics of her songs. I especially liked the unpublished writings that were included. I thought there would be more explanation to the songs, along with more the lyrics that she said wouldn't fit, but they weren't there. No matter what, I enjoyed this Queen ...more
Cheri
Dec 29, 2012 Cheri rated it really liked it
I did love this. Loretta went out of her way to engage me, and to spill her guts without seeming like an emotional disaster. She's been through a lot in her life. I can relate to her lyrics and her style of life.
Lori
Apr 08, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Loretta Lynn is one of my favorites. She exudes such confidence and such a quick wit, it makes me want to be her when I grow up. I enjoyed reading the lyrics to some of my favorite songs and some that I never knew.
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
The lyrics to her songs, some of them unpublished. The stories behind some of the songs. Also included are pictures from thoughout her life and comments from other musicians. I think even a non-fan would find this interesting.
Angela
May 26, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, non-fiction
This is about as close to poetry as I get and Loretta Lynn's life in lyrics is completely immersive. The back story behind songs (from well-known to unreleased) is fascinating and the lyrics themselves are full of all the love and heartache country music is known for.

A great gift book.

Brittany
Jun 29, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
My mother read this and gave it a 5-star rating!
SpecialtyK
Apr 03, 2016 SpecialtyK rated it it was amazing
VaughanPL
May 05, 2012 VaughanPL added it
Shelves: nonfiction
click here to find it in the catalogue.
Julie
Jul 22, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
I grew up listening to Loretta Lynn & Crystal Gayle. I'm always amazed by her honesty & strength. Loved the stories & pictures she shared!
Kaimyn
Dec 02, 2014 Kaimyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Loretta is one of my favorites!
Donna
Apr 10, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
Loretta Lynn tells her story through the many lyrics of the songs she has written and sung. Very inspiring book.
Angela
Mar 05, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it
No one can write a song like Loretta!
Paige Gregory
Aug 13, 2012 Paige Gregory rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Not to mention, I loved all of the pictures in the book as well :)
Dy-an
Jun 23, 2014 Dy-an rated it it was ok
Shelves: verse, groupie-fuel
Disappointing.
Kaylabookworm22 L
Jun 18, 2012 Kaylabookworm22 L rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Shauna
Shauna rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Amanda Brewer
Amanda Brewer rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Monica
Monica rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2012
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Tom Mueller
Tom Mueller rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Nico
Nico rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Cate
Cate rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Girl in the Song: The Stories Behind 50 Rock Classics
  • Sweet Judy Blue Eyes: My Life in Music
  • Found: A Daughter's Journey Home
  • Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll: The Science of Hedonism and the Hedonism of Science
  • Society's Child: My Autobiography
  • Is This the Real Life?: The Untold Story of Queen
  • F 'em!: Goo Goo, Gaga, and Some Thoughts on Balls
  • The Advanced Genius Theory: Are They Out of Their Minds or Ahead of Their Time?
  • Legend of a Rock Star: A Memoir: The Last Testament of Dee Dee Ramone
  • I'm Just Sayin'!: Three Deaths, Seven Husbands, and a Clone! My Life as a Daytime Diva
  • Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life
  • Smart Blonde: Dolly Parton
  • Make 'Em Laugh: Short-Term Memories of Longtime Friends
  • Swimming in the Steno Pool: A Retro Guide to Making It in the Office
  • Mötley Crüe: A Visual History, 1983-2005
  • Cloris: My Autobiography
  • Love Brought Me Back: A Journey of Loss and Gain
  • Once Upon a Time
Loretta Lynn is an American country music singer-songwriter whose work spans almost 60 years. She was the only woman to be named "Artist of the Decade" for the 1970s by the Academy of Country Music. Lynn was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1988
More about Loretta Lynn...