Start by marking “Claws” as Want to Read:

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  326 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Emma's sister has run off with the faeries. Her parents have spent all their money looking for her and now the family is living on the edge of an enchanted slum-forest nearby. But then along comes a smooth-talking cat called Jack - with a plan for how Emma can reunite her family.
Published May 24th 2012 by Chicken House (first published 2012)

Anna  Matsuyama
4.5
When I borrowed this book from a library looking for an easy & quick read I didn't expect that I will be hooked. What a pleasant surprise!

Set in a world that is very familiar to ours, (think of Alternative Universe) with one major difference magic and magical creatures (and magical persons) are real and live with humans. Emma's world is a bit too much similar with ours and that the main reason why I can't give 5 stars. I will explain why. In a world where magical creatures are real and l
Shanshad Whelan
This is one of those surprising books that didn't go quite as I expected. Most middle grade fantasy fic I'm familiar with tends to take place in a purely fantasy world (often with castles and pseudo medieval settings) for instance The Star Shard or it takes place in a modern world where fantasy is unexpected but shows up like: Cold Cereal. But rarely have I seen this contemporary urban fantasy setting that is fairly common in adult fiction in stories for kids.

Emma and her parents have just moved
Alley Kat
In order to find her missing sister, Emma must trust Jack, a one eyed, magic-less cat and become leader of the forest cats. On top of this she must deal with her newly judgmental friend and school bullies.

I've been wanting to read this book for months. My library didn't have it so I just bought it on my nook. Then I could never find time to read it. Finally, I had an excuse. So today, I sat down, powered up my nook, and I read this book. Now this was a very good book. It was beautifully written,
Avry15
I loved the cover of CLAW, it's simple, it's magical, it says everything of what the book is. I especially enjoyed the facts given in every chapter about cats, witches and other supernatural being from CragWiki.

I enjoyed the diverse cast. Emma is clever, likable, real, independent and fearless. Jack is funny, charming and a rogue. I enjoyed the talking animals; how they retain they're behaviors while being magical; the descriptions of each of them, which I found fascinating.

At first, you'll th
CuteBadger
In modern-day America where magical creatures of many kinds roam (some of them dangerous to humans)Emma's older sister Helena has gone missing. Their parents will do anything to find her, even move into a rundown trailer park next to where the crags (magical beings) hang out. The first sign that anything is different is the talking cat who already lives in their trailer. Before long Emma is up to her neck in magic and danger, determined to find her sister.

I'm far from being the target audience f
Judy
As far is my experience goes, this is quite original. I liked the faerie concept, and the Cragwiki.org idea. They're clever. And despite the fact that the characters are not drawn in a very complex or sophisticated way, and the dialogue is pretty run of the mill, the storyline still offers plenty of thought provoking material. It had me thinking about teens and drug addiction, teens and cults, religious groups and anyone's desire for a feeling of belonging. (Also, of course, the idea of saving s ...more
Alexis
Claws follows Emma Vu, a twelve-year-old girl whose sister Helena has been missing for months. Emma lives in a world not so different from ours, but in her world, there are creatures that live alongside humans in a tentative truce. These creatures are called Crags.
Crags are all the mythical creatures we associate with fantasy books. Selkies, Hags, Incan snake shifters, Nagas, and of course, cats.
Cats are the most magical of all creatures- they hold the magic to transform themselves into any othe
Megan Kurz
Reving
I LOVED this book! Truly. It is fantasy, but I didn't get lost. The characters were truly charming and I am totally going to marry Jack. I mean it. Hands off! He is my man! :) :) I can't wait for the next one!!!!!
May
This book was awesome and it was suspenseful that I couldn't put it down until I was done with it. I love the characters especially Jack the cat and the Chloe's funny personality. I would love to be their friends. I really enjoyed reading the little facts from cragwiki that were in the beginning of every chapter it really provided information to the types of creatures that were also a part of the book. I would love it if there was a continuation of the story perhaps a second book to continue whe ...more
It may be "the best book EVER" for a 9 year old, but not so much for her mom.
Ms. Yingling
Emma's sister Helena has been missing for several months. Her father can't handle this and has had to close down his Vietnamese restaurant and move the family to a decrepit trailer out near the woods, which is where the crags live. Crags refer to any magical creatures like trolls, dwarves, hags, etc., and Emma's father thinks that by living nearer the creatures he stands a better chance at getting information about his daughter. Emma would like to help, and when a magical cat named Jack shows up ...more
Sherri
Months after 12-year-old Emma Vu’s older sister, Helena, disappeared, her family is falling apart. Emma’s dad closed the family restaurant and dwindling finances forced them to move into a dilapidated trailer park full of crags (magical creatures such as dwarves, ratters, hags and cats). Emma’s only friend is an old, scruffy one-eyed cat named Jack, who gives her the Heart’s Blood for a pride of cats. Usually this is given to cats, not humans, as whoever has the Heart’s Blood becomes the leader ...more
Liz
When Emma's sister Helena goes missing her parents do everything they can to try and find her, resulting in the family losing everything. They are forced to move to the edge of the city where crags (magical creatures) live. Emma has her heart set on finding her sister and with the help of Jack, a talking cat, the adventure begins.

I was incredibly excited when I won Claws by Mike and Rachel Grinti from Waterstones a few weeks ago. Although this book is aimed at those that are about ten years youn
Faith
I know this book was written for Middle School kids, or even kids younger than that, but even with that in mind, I still didn't care for this book.

I found it odd that right off the bat, we know about all these fictional creatures. The hag, the coatl, the pride, the trolls, the ratter, the faeries - I mean I just found it odd that people knew about them and were completely okay with it. I mean I think it would have been a bit more interesting if Emma found out about them secretly and had to hide
I fell in love with the cover. I have a black cat and the cover drew me to it. Unfortunately, no black cat appeared in the book and I hate it when the cover doesn't match the story so the book lost a star.

However, the story was fun and fascinating. I love the idea of cat magic. I love the cat's view of the world (which I think is more realistic than my personification of my cat's thoughts). I liked the main character although I was bothered by her father's extremism. The author tried to explain
David
Claws is a great fantasy read. It is about being different and those dark spaces I remember from being a kid--being rejected, afraid, learning to trust myself and others, and a lot more of that complicated business of growing up.

The adults of this world just don't have the foggiest idea of how to deal with what has happened to their world. Magic has intruded, and the magical creatures who came with it are almost all rejected by society--all except the fairies. Emma's older sister has disappeare
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Full Review/Discussion @ the My Precious Blog Website: www.thecallawafam.blogspot.com

BY MIKE AND RACHEL GRINTI

AMAZON| GOODREADS

Publisher: The Chicken House (September 1, 2012)
Length: Hardcover, 256 pages
Format: E-Arc
Source: Netgalley.com
Genre: Contemporary, Fairytale, Fantasy, MG
Series: No, Stand Alone Novel
Completed: August 2012
Challenges: 2012 DAC, 2012 Ebook Challenge, 2012 YA/MG Fantasy Challenge, 2012 Outdo Yourself Challenge

SUMMARY

When Emma sister turns up missing, their family reloca
Sharon Thomson
There have been books about young magicians; books about vampires and werewolves in High School. This is a tale of crags. A world populated with fairies, child eating hags, harpies and magical cats.

Emma’s sister Helena has gone missing. Her father, in his despair can’t concentrate and the family loses his restaurant and their home. They end up moving to a caravan park on the outskirts of the enchanted forest.

Emma starts having problems at school and wants to help find Helena. To do this she is g
Diane
A perfect addition for my classroom. Thanks for sharing it with me Abigail. I love the setting where there is this mysterious collision of the real and fantasy worlds. Themes of segregation and prejudice abound throughout the story as the heroine discovers the truth behind her sister's abduction. I loved the ratterking network. Felt a bit like the Borg in a rodent sort of way.
Patrick Hayes
I got a preview copy to read and reveiw for SciFiPulse.net and I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would. Intended for middle school readers, it could be enjoyed by girls and boys, as well as their parents. I wanted to read something that I hadn't read before, and this book more than satisfied that need. A young girl, who lives in a world where normal and fantasy creatures live side by side searches for her missing sister with the help of a cat named Jack, who seems to want something more ...more
Vonna Carter
Wow! I loved this clever, original fantasy. In a world where magical creatures called crags are loathed by humans and their children banned from attending human schools, twelve-year-old Emma and her parents have moved to a trailer right on the edge of the Forest, where all the crags live. Emma's older sister has disappeared. Some say she ran away, but Emma and her father believe Helena was kidnapped, and the crags might know where she is. While Emma's father pursues his missing daughter, Emma ta ...more
Jenn
Wonderfully unique and vibrant world!

Set in an alternate present where magical creatures ("crags") live among humans, this story follows Emma, a young girl whose family has been struggling to recover since Emma's older sister went missing. When her family moves into a crag neighborhood, Emma quickly becomes involved with a pack of talking cats. Oh, but these aren't any talking cats! There's nothing cute or fuzzy about them -- they're ambitious, powerful, and downright dangerous. As Emma becomes
bennett
Jun 25, 2014 bennett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat lovers, fairy tale enthusiasts, and people who like dark stories.
This book was exciting, but kind of confusing. I mean, they never actually told that the world was magical. They walked past their snake man neighbor and acted normal! It took me a few chapters to realize that it was a magical world.

It started out nice with a few oddities here and there, but the whole story ended up being very dark...and I like that. The faeries were a nice touch, and the fairy party was a great climax.

I was pleased to discover that there was a couple hints of melodrama and emot
시대 있도록
I loved the story! Especially since I understood the few Viet phrases in there. It's exciting, thrilling, and definitely pulls you in. I never got that much into a book before I started reading this! Afterwards, I finally started to read more often. Emma is courageous and daring, showing how much she cares for Helena. Although Helena didn't want to return home (twist right there!), she pulled her big sister away anyways. I think I would've done the same for my sister too. Jack's back-story (whic ...more
Purplepotts
I got this book at a book sale at about the age of 12 (maybe) I have read it a few times and still love the adventure in it, some people hate it some people love it! for a quick easy read I would suggest it to anyone ;-)
ValeDeOro
I bought this book, because the author's name are the same as my company. And I was very positively surprised. The book is definitely geared towards children in their early teens, but even as an adult it had some nice twists and a very interesting ending.
Recommended reading for magic-lovers.
Benjamin
This one I read out loud to my daughters. Chosen by my oldest daughter I was not too thrilled with the choice. Simple writing style. Kids will like, adults stay clear. It is a kids book so I can't be harsh.
Kalani
I haven't finished this book yet, as I took a break from it half way through the book, but it was a GOOD book to read. I liked how this book had a bit o f mystery and magic (since I like fantasy books :3).
Ninja27boss
Seriously one of the best books I've ever read. I mean I CANT no matter how hard I try read a book again, but this I could easily read it again. It was so good!!!!! It's in my top five for SURE!!!
Claws! 1 10 Jan 02, 2012 06:29PM
  • To Be A Cat
  • Peace
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • The Wednesdays
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • Ice Whale
  • Dragon Run
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • Frogged
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • The Wolf Princess