Start by marking “Verzameld werk” as Want to Read:
Verzameld werk

Verzameld werk

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  2,209 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Alle teksten en tekstfragmenten van de Griekse filosoof (ca. 50-ca. 138 na Chr.), met een inleiding over het denken van de Stoa.
461 pages
Published (first published 108)

To ask other readers questions about Verzameld werk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Verzameld werk

Tony
THE MORAL DISCOURSES. (?). Epictetus. ****.
This was the translation by Mrs. Elizabeth Carter, and also included The Enchiridion and various Fragments, as published by Everyman’s Library in 1910 and later reprinted in 1913. This translation was the benchmark for this work for the longest time. Since then there have been many more accessible translations using contemporary language. Aside from that, I have to start off by telling you that this is a browsing book. Each discourse stands on its own,
Mike W
Stoicism offers a guide to happiness and serenity in life, and Epictetus was, perhaps, the greatest Stoic philosopher. First and foremost, Epictetus was a deeply religious man. He was convinced that God created the world according to Reason, and that human beings, in so far as we have the gift of rational thought, can attain happiness by living according to our own nature--which meant for Epictetus according to reason.

But what does it mean to live "according to nature" or reason? For Epictetus,
Marc-André
J'ai recommandé chaudement la lecture d'Épictète à mon entourage après en avoir moi-même consulté les discours. Quoi que le principe en soit au mieux difficilement applicable, il est très simple, en apparence du moins, et sa pratique ne peut qu'être bénéfique. Ce principe, sous-jacent à tous les discours, c'est : cultives seulement ce qui dépend de toi. Ces choses qui peuvent être dites dépendre purement de nous, en tant que nous sommes des Hommes, sont bien peu nombreuse pour Épictète, et risqu ...more
Diocletian
Comparing ancient and modern philosophy is always an interesting thing to do. Ancient philosophy seems to have been much more practical and applied; something that everyone could take part in, instead of being relegated to experts in the field. It was not there to argue about everything in existence (well, except for the Skeptics) but was instead meant to teach you how to live your life to the fullest. In ancient philosophy, a lot was taken for granted that would never be done so today; such as ...more
jon
I find it near to impossible to rate a work of antiquity as I might try to rank a contemporary work. How does one choose subtraction over addition in ranking an artifact of historical interest? The Discourses of Epictetus possess such a special status and have greater merit at the start than contemporary works. By various measures, I commend the Discourses. One measure, mentioned above, is the historical measure. Reading the Discourses is time travel. How rare and privileged is it to see the wor ...more
Jake
This was the last book I read before going to Basic last year, and I really think it contributed a lot to how much I learned about myself during my training stint.

Also, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_St... Admiral James Stockdale[/url] credited this work with helping him through seven and a half years of torture by the Viet Cong. I think that alone says more than I would be able to.

I guess Epictetus' main thesis is simply this (and the course of the book is spent fleshing this out): th
Federico Trejos
Epictetus is a genius of the ancients, a man whose moral and ethical thought and pathos have the golden mean in mind. The whole idea and notion of balance, ressponsability, dutifulness, and a sense of following, liberally determined, the values one believes at any cost. The stoics were definitely the first existentialists, along with the Bible (for me a great existentialist text) with some elements of severity, extreme measures, principle, radicalism of the cynics, without the irreverence, more ...more
Eric Eisberg
Epictetus is one of the great spiritual minds of human history. His ideas are very similar to Buddhist ones, promoting a doctrine of nonattachment, acting morally and living simply. He differs in a few key ways, however. Like all Stoics, he imagines that death is the end of our consciousness in a very permanent way. He also stresses that our actions, if anything, are the only things in our power and that we should simply accept changes of fortune by learning not to desire anything but our own vi ...more
Jerzy
[I've only read a few parts of this so far. It was in a different edition, translated by George Long, which I don't see on Goodreads.]

I.1: I must die. Must I then die lamenting? I must be put in chains. Must I then also lament? I must go into exile. Does any man then hinder me from going with smiles and cheerfulness and contentment?

I.1: I must die. If now, I am ready to die. If after a short time, I now dine because it is the dinner-hour; after this I will then die.
[So, no need to rush to death.
Patrick Michael
"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

"First say to yourself what you would be;
And then do what you have to do."

"People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them."
Bill Pfister
This one I go back to every few years...
Olivier Goetgeluck
I don't add to my troubles.

Our emotional responses to upsetting actions - not the actions themselves - are what create anxiety and depression; and that our emotional responses are products of our judgements - are in fact (irrational) judgements tout court:
'Much of what we call emotion is nothing more nor less than a certain kind - a biased, prejudiced, or strongly evaluative kind - of thought. What we call feelings almost always have a pronounced evaluating or appraisal element.

Talk to yourself,
James
Wisdom persists. Some sections felt painfully outdated (aided in that endeavour by Oldfather's somewhat anachronistic translation), but perhaps only noticeably so for the fact that much of Epictetus’ Stoic philosophy translates so well in a modern context. Undeniably repetitive; however, I think that was rather the point. I find the relationship between Stoic thought (which itself persisted in popularity through much of the heyday of Rome and throughout its decline) and contemporary cognitive be ...more
Matt
A follower of Zeno and Chrysippus (as evidence by the numerous references), Epictetus expounds the lessons of Stoicism. On a superficial level, it’s kind of like Western Buddhism. Detachment from worldly desire being a core concept in both. Whereas Buddhism seeks to train the mind in the ways of sila (ethical behavior) to cut the chain of endless rebirth, Epictetus teaches how virtue helps you pass through the purpose of this existence.
Men act like a traveller on the way to his own country who
Paula
Jul 19, 2008 Paula rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Humans
Recommended to Paula by: The Great Books collection
Shelves: favorite-books
The ideals of Stoicism are not very popular today. Only the military truly appreciates what they have to offer, and for some that alone is enough to turn them away. Yet, there is no wisdom the world needs more than what Epictetus offers. His insights are so startlingly right, his presentation so witty, his life so exemplary that we would be fools to ignore him. He teaches us, not just to be Men (as the military interprets stoicism), but to be fully Human in the best sense. Here is just a taste:

H
JP
Written during the first century A.D., Arrianus wrote the words of Epictetus in the style in which they were delivered in speech. To provide a synoposis of the explanation given in this book (from the Modern Library), Stoicism was founded by Zeno in taking from Plato the value of self-sufficiency. If the universe is self-sufficient, dualism would not be possible and so monism must be. And that implies that everything is good and natural. Ironically, the efficient workings of the self-sufficient ...more
Antonio Baclig
Repetitive, often ranting, written (spoken, actually--written down by a disciple) with certainty, Epictetus's works can be summed up by a sentence or two: "Some things are up to us and others are not. Up to us are opinion, impulse, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever is our own action. Not up to us are body, property, reputation, office, and, in a word, whatever is not our own action."

So don't worry about the "externals" that are out of your control, what most people spend so much energy
Pascal Verlaine
At places in book one (of four), either due to the complexities of the argument, the lack of a greater stoic context or translational difficulties (there were a number of constructions I could not unravel), I have to admit I would get a little lost. Books two through four were much more straight forward. Despite these difficulties, I think of it as a treasure.

I am not a scholar, I can only speak to how this work was useful to me, personally.

Epictetus's Handbook, sort of a readers digest of his
Raul Mazilu
Perhaps more actual than ever, Epictetus' speech decries the attachment to material goods. Instead, Epictetus proposes a life of freedom and independence.

Were it a self-help book, it would probably bear the title "How to eliminate the pressure you willingly impose on yourself when you attach undue value to that which, in reality, is dependent on external factors".

The short sketches, set against a background of everyday Greek life, offer practical advice. In a manner similar to Viktor Frankl and
Stewartw22
Read: Discourses I 29; II 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 16, 18, 22, 26; III 5, 12, 13, 15, 18; IV 2, and Handbook 1-27.

Edition has introduction to the histo-political world of Epictetus, a biography, and a rough overview of Hellenistic philosophy (read: Epicureanism/Stoicism etc.). Additionally, some Stoic vocabulary at the end along with some modern interpretations/criticism of his work - focused mostly on his Discourses.

The Discourses can be tedious and repetitive at times to read given the discou
Johnny Saldana
Offers a beautiful and profound insight into classic stoic philosophy.
Paul Alex
If you like Marcuse Aurelius Meditations go for this one
Yognik Baghel
I am fond of certain stoic principles which Epictetus mentions in Enchiridion - regarding self-mastery, controlling desires (not branding them evil as say Gandhi would do), being unemotional and controlling oneself from getting perturbed by external sources which lie outside one's control. However most other tenants, I dislike as I sense an element of fatalism and passiveness in them. But still a quick and pithy read, I'd say... Do check out this master work of one of the most famous stoics...
Xavier
"Come, then, Epictetus, shave yourself." "If I am a philosopher," I answer, "I will not shave myself." "But I will take off your head?" If that will do you any good, take it off.

This is just a sample of the kind of thing you'll find within an hour of reading this book.

It's a bit less accessible than the Enchiridion. Which does make it slightly more fun to reread.
It is part of the Stoic tradition that lasted a thousand years. Put simply, a must read.
Nathan
Monumentally influential on moral thought, particularly with regard to Christianity, these short essays - presented as notes of his conversations with students - have a certain charm but there's only so much Graeco-Roman "Braveheart" philosophy I can take in a single sitting.

There is another volume containing two more books of his discourses. I am in no hurry to continue with it.
Patrick\
His discourse on the use of the forms of right reasoning is a survey with concluding opinon. We haven't gone far from his understanding of the fundamental ground of reasoning. Worth a read, but probably not the complete works in a number of volumes unless you are a philosopher or a glutten for philosophical minutiae. I am neither. I think it an important work in my own grounding.
Nicholas
I don't know if it's my copy but this book was really hard to read. Following what this guy was saying was near impossible. That aside it was really good.

So apparently this guy was a slave and he is the opposite side of the coin as compared to Aurelius.

Basic stoicism. Good shit. No quotes cause the whole book is quotable. Same problem as Meditations. Read it.
Charlotte
Oh Epictetus, I learned so much from you. To call a jug a jug to harden me to its eventual breakage, and not to call my horse excellent. Because I had nothing to do with its excellence, after all.

Epictetus really does have some wise things to say. Learn what you can and can't control, and teach yourself to tolerate the things you can't change.
  • Ptolemy's Almagest
  • The Enneads
  • Sextus Empiricus: Outlines of Scepticism
  • Posterior Analytics/Topica
  • The Inner Citadel: The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • Epistles 1-65 (Loeb Classical Library®)
  • The Essential Epicurus
  • Musonius Rufus: Lectures and Sayings
  • Sophist
  • Fragments
  • Ovid III: Metamorphoses: Volume I, Books I-VIII
  • Virgil, Vol 2: Aeneid Books 7-12, Appendix Vergiliana (Loeb Classical Library, #64)
  • Epictetus: A Stoic and Socratic Guide to Life
  • The Geometry of René Descartes: with a Facsimile of the First Edition
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Philosophical Fragments (Writings, Vol 7)
Epictetus was a Greek Stoic philosopher. He was probably born a slave at Hierapolis, Phrygia (present day Pamukkale, Turkey), and lived in Rome until his exile to Nicopolis in northwestern Greece, where he lived most of his life and died. His teachings were noted down and published by his pupil Arrian in his Discourses. Philosophy, he taught, is a way of life and not just a theoretical discipline. ...more
More about Epictetus...
The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness and Effectiveness Discourses and Selected Writings The Golden Sayings of Epictetus Enchiridion and Selections from the Discourses The Essential Writings

“Τίς εἶναι θέλεις, σαυτῷ πρῶτον εἰπέ: εἶθ' οὕτως ποίει ἃ ποιεῖς. (First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.)” 165 likes
“Difficulty shows what men are. Therefore when a difficulty falls upon you, remember that God, like a trainer of wrestlers, has matched you with a rough young man. Why? So that you may become an Olympic conqueror; but it is not accomplished without sweat.” 36 likes