Start by marking “Flush” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  20,275 Ratings  ·  1,917 Reviews
Bestselling novelist Carl Hiaasen is back with another hysterical mystery adventure for young readers, set in the Florida Keys.

You know it's going to be a rough summer when you spend Father's Day visiting your dad in the local lockup.

Noah's dad is sure that the owner of the Coral Queen casino boat is flushing raw sewage into the harbor–which has made taking a dip at the
Published September 13th 2005 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flush, please sign up.

Caiden Wallace It depends on what you think of as a good book. The writing isn't necessarily the best, but it's not bad either. The story is pretty interesting, and…moreIt depends on what you think of as a good book. The writing isn't necessarily the best, but it's not bad either. The story is pretty interesting, and it keeps you from getting too bored along the way as you read. I'm a little picky on the writing style of books, but, excluding the writing style, in my opinion, it's definitely well-written.

If you like books about justice (excluding books involving long periods of court), along with activism, but not obnoxious (no offense meant there) activism where people protest about every single thing, then you'll like this book.

I don't consider myself a big activist when it comes to the environment or animals, but I DO think there's SOME situations where action needs to be taken. I don't mean protesting, because, based on statistics, protesting VERY rarely works and actually usually ends up causing more harm than good. I'm meaning signing a petition or making donations.

Anyways, I actually ended up enjoying this book. It's not one of my favorites or anything, but it's still a good book.(less)
Caiden Wallace It's about a child's father who is thrown in jail for the wrong reasons. The story involves pollution, scams, manipulation, corruption, and justice,…moreIt's about a child's father who is thrown in jail for the wrong reasons. The story involves pollution, scams, manipulation, corruption, and justice, along with family ties and friends/enemies made along the way.(less)
Flush by Carl HiaasenJulie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead GeorgeMrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'BrienWatership Down by Richard AdamsHoot by Carl Hiaasen
YA Animal & Nature Books
1st out of 121 books — 45 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyAnna and the French Kiss by Stephanie PerkinsLooking for Alaska by John GreenThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Best Young Adult Realistic Novels
355th out of 1,820 books — 10,801 voters

More lists with this book...

Mar 16, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Flush is a very good book it shows what people could risk for animals and nature. The boy in this book has a Dad that has been in jail many times when he was trying to protect wildlife. Wach him take a step while his dad is in jail and to prove that his dad is right.
Feb 26, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ian
I thought this book had one of the most brilliant opening lines of any YA book. I read it aloud to #1 son, and he snatched the book from my hands and proceeded through Hoot as well.
Jun 09, 2009 Stephany rated it really liked it
When Noah Underwood's father is sent to prison for sinking a casino boat that he believes to be dumping waste tanks into the ocean, Noah decides to help his father prove his suspicions. Noah and his siter, Abbey, get into all kinds of trouble as they attempt to prove that their father is sane and telling the truth, while keeping the owner of the boat from polluting the ocean around their home in the Florida Keys.

I really enjoyed this book because it was filled with action and suspense. Noah, Abb
Oct 10, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it
Flush came to my attention because a professor at the community college where I work was looking for a novel that dealt with the environment, but that would not be too difficult for some of his low-level readers. Although I had not read it at the time, we decided that the reviews made Flush sound like the right book for the job. The novel follows two teens, Noah and Abby, who are trying to expose a casino boat owner who they believe is dumping the casino's septic waste into the local beach to sa ...more
Jun 02, 2010 Noah rated it really liked it
Flush was a book about a boy around the age of 14 who's name is Noah. Noah's dad is in jail because his dad sunk a ship. This ship was no ordinary ship, this ship was dumping all of its waste and fecal matter into the ocean at night when nobody was around to notice, accept Noah's dad. He sunk the ship to stop the waste from building up in the sea. Throughout the book Noah and his family stand up against injustice and do what they can to make a change.
I can connect this book to HOOT by the same
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it
I read Hoot by Hiaasen and absolutely loved it, so I was excited to continue on with Hiaasen's middle grade series and read this book. I didn't like Flush quite as much as Hoot, there just wasn't as much mystery. That being said it was still a very good and entertaining book; it touches heavily on environmentalism, corrupt business practice, and family issues.

Noah Underwood's father has sunk a gambling ship and been thrown in jail. Noah's dad is positive that the gambling ship is emptying sewage
Lars Guthrie
Feb 11, 2011 Lars Guthrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You might come to ‘Flush’ with two preconceptions.

Carl Hiaasen writes adult thrillers with a satirical tenor, often featuring characters from the trailer trash end of the social spectrum. So it’s likely that his children’s books will retain a bit of that edge.

Those adult thrillers, and Hiaasen’s books for younger readers, focus on environmentalism, so it’s likely that ‘Flush’ centers on that kind of issue.

Your preconceptions would be proven true.

The tone of ‘Flush’ is sardonic. It features a ba
Mar 11, 2011 Monique rated it liked it
i choose this book because it seemed like a good book. its fiction but probly could happen. it takes place in keys california i think. the main character is named noah. noahs dad goes to jail because he tryed to sink a boat that was dumping sewadge in the ocean which your not supose to do. noahs dad (paine) goes to jail for it because he doesnt have proof that dusty is dumping sewadge in the ocean. the problem is that dusty is doing this and he is friends with the coast gard so he doesnt get cau ...more
May 19, 2011 Lexi added it
Jul 31, 2011 Eileen rated it really liked it
This is the third of Hiaasen's YA novels that I've read (after Scat & Hoot) -- I just love them. They're not as wild and funny as his adult fiction, but I enjoy them all the same, and it's nice that they only take a couple of hours to read. Can't wait until I can share them with my kids.

As with all of Hiaasen's YA novels, this one deals with villainous Floridians who are destroying the environment, the plucky kids who won't let them get away with it, and the quirky grown-ups who help them.

After reading Hoot, I couldn't resist reading all of Carl Hiassen's young adult fiction for myself. I blew through this book in two nights. Absolutely fantastic! Another tale of environmental activism by young people and how it changes the world around them. I want to read this to my son before he loses that "I can do ANYTHING!" feeling that only the young and unscarred possess.

The book starts with Noah visiting his father in jail. He's there because he sank a casino boat after finding out that,
Carol Baldwin
Nov 03, 2011 Carol Baldwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FLUSH: An Example of What Every Book Should Include

I can't help myself. Whenever I read a book I'm always analyzing how the author pulls it off. How does he or she weave together the different elements needed to produce an engaging book for young readers?

My recent read, FLUSH by Carl Hiaasen, is a great example of this type of book. It has:

A great beginning that hooks the reader

The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my s
Carmen Tryka
Apr 26, 2012 Carmen Tryka rated it it was amazing
Caitlin L
Feb 06, 2013 Caitlin L rated it really liked it
I recently finished, "Flush" by: Carl Hiaasen. It starts out kind of slow, but the more you read, the more you want to know! "Flush" is about a curious, determined boy, Noah Underwood, his tough, persistent sister Abbey, and their peculiar father who will stand up for anything that he thinks is right. Noah's dad gets put in jail for sinking skinflint Dusty Muleman's casino boat, The Coral Queen. Noah's dad didn't do this for no good reason at all, the truthful reason is that he thinks Dusty is f ...more
Alex Murphy
Feb 24, 2014 Alex Murphy rated it it was ok
If this is his first into the kids genre then I understand it's flaws, I do not forgive them but I understand. If this is not his first kids book then he totally messed up on this one. His crassness is unnecessary, and his approach to things like murder and alcoholism was ham handed. His other two that I've read were better and if you are a kid and you have a super love for Hiaasen then I guess go ahead and read this, but don't make this your first.

A boy and his sister are trying to prove that
Nathan Sapal
Mar 24, 2014 Nathan Sapal rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I was fairly entertained by it and everything that happened in it.

The story started with boy named Noah Underwood who lives a easy life in the Florida Keys with his family. Then suddenly his dad goes to jail, while visiting him in jail he finds out that his dad went to jail for sinking a gambling boat called "The Coral Queen". His dad did this because he find out that the boat was dumping their sewage into the marine, and so his dad told him and shoe was all for taking down "
May 14, 2014 Dean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flush is like Greenpeace meets CSI. Basically, a boat is dumping its waste into the ocean and Noah, the main character, tries to figure out who is doing it. It’s a book with a political agenda and an environmental agenda, something that typically does not work, but it works well here. One other thing I can relate to is that Noah, the kid, is the one who is rational and calm, the dad is the unstable one. Something I can relate to, being the dad myself. Also, whenever I try to finish number one, I ...more
Chloe O'neal
Aug 20, 2014 Chloe O'neal rated it it was amazing
Noah's dad tries to get back at Dusty, for putting the holding tank in the ocean, by sinking his casino ship, Coral Queen. He has to go to jail on fathers’ day. Noah and Abbey try to prove that there dad is right by making up this crazy plan that includes sneaking into the Coral Queen. Read the book to find out what happens next.
The main characters in the book are Dad and Noah. Dad, Paine, he has some anger issues. When he gets something on his mind he will do whatever it takes to get them to
Rachel Jessup
In this novel the main character, Noah, is in the bad situation of having his dad in jail. His dad is in jail because he sunk the Coral Queen, a gambling boat, because the boat was dumping it’s sewage into the basin. His dad retaliated very badly and sunk it. Thus being why he’s in jail.
Shortly after Noah’s father went to jail the Coral Queen was built back up, and continued to spill the sewage into the basin. Noah’s father snuck out of jail and found out that the boat continued to spill
Feb 03, 2015 PeterbGilbert rated it really liked it
Carl Hiaasen

Carl Hiaasen is an author with a great imagination that comes up with some great stories. The story that I am about to tell you about is Flush. I really liked the style he used to write this book because he writes the story on a big, current topic such as raw waste dumped into the sea. I think more light needs to be shed on topic like this because it is a good way to raise more awareness.

Noah’s dad, a crazed, bizarre and loving person did something that he strongly believ
Mike French
Feb 26, 2015 Mike French rated it it was amazing
Carl Hiaasen once again has written a tremendous book for the entire family!Grandparents,Parents,kids and grandkids will enjoy this book. Very enjoyable and entertaining for all!
Jun 19, 2015 Taissa rated it liked it
Pretty good.
Abby Decker
Mar 23, 2015 Abby Decker rated it it was amazing
Are you looking for an adventurous book? If so, you should read the book called "Flush" written by Carl Hiaasen.
This book is very appealing to many people. The plot really keeps you guessing how the characters are going to solve the problem. Whoever really cares about the environment should read this because the plot is based off people who are trying to save the environment. If you don’t like long books this one is short and the story is amazing.
"Flush" contains the following characters: Noah,
Rebecca McNutt
May 02, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it did not like it
This book was crude, crass and nasty; it's a book about sewage being dumped on a beach, aimed at young adults, so of course it's got immature toilet humor and it makes this book seem trashy. The characters were lazy, entitled and generically boring and much of the book just drags on, making it more of a chore to read than anything else.
Aug 29, 2016 Ray rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I was looking for another Hiaasen to read and picked this up secondhand without realising that it was aimed at children. Hey ho.

A competent tale of environmental skullduggery, with the baddies taken down at the end. Some humour, linear plot.
Amanda M.
Sep 17, 2015 Amanda M. rated it it was amazing
Saving the Bay From Waste's Way

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Flush by Carl Hiaasen.

It is about the Coral Queen, a casino boat dumping its waste into the ocean. It takes place in a bay of Florida during present-day, and begins by telling us that Paine Underwood sinks the boat in the name of his beliefs, then gets arrested. Noah, his son and the main protagonist, and his sister Abbey want to prove that their father is right. They love Paine and do not want him to be arrested if his beliefs are true
Bebe Haase
Dec 16, 2015 Bebe Haase rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-like, 2015
2/5 stars

I did not like this book because it was to predictable and easy. I did not enjoy it.

I am going to give Hoot a try. I am probably not going to like it though.

Jenni Joru
Aug 09, 2016 Jenni Joru rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Floridassa vain alkuperäisasukkaat saavat pyörittää uhkapelitoimintaa. Lieromainen liikemies Dusty Muleman on houkutellut Miccosukee-intiaanit mukaan kasinobisnekseen: he ovat ostaneet satama-altaan ja julistaneet sen reservaatiksi. Satama-altaassa taas kelluu kasinolaiva Korallikuningatar - aina siihen asti, kun kalastusopas Payne Underwood saa tarpeekseen jätevedet mereen kippaavasta purkista ja vetää niin sanotusti tulpan irti.

Paynen lapset: 12-vuotias Noah ja 10-vuotias Abbey ovat varttunee
Rory Carty
Sep 30, 2016 Rory Carty rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It was so much fun to read and I couldn't believe when it was over! If you haven't already read it then you should!
Oct 07, 2016 Camden rated it it was amazing
I really liked the book flush. I liked it because it was really intense and had some action, it also had a lot of good comedy. I also really like all the main characters.
flush 1 4 Apr 16, 2015 09:18AM
  • Chicken Boy
  • Miracle on 49th Street
  • Operation Redwood
  • I Am Not Joey Pigza (Joey Pigza, #4)
  • Saraswati's Way
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Al Capone Shines My Shoes (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #2)
  • Project Mulberry
  • Fish
  • Millicent Min, Girl Genius
  • Belly Up (FunJungle #1)
  • Adam Canfield of the Slash
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • Science Fair
  • Becoming Naomi León
  • Things Hoped For (Things, #2)
  • Diamonds in the Shadow
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
Carl Hiaasen was born and raised in Florida. After graduating from the University of Florida, he began writing for the Miami Herald. As a journalist and author, Carl has spend most of his life advocating the protection of the Florida Everglades. He and his family still live in southern Florida.
More about Carl Hiaasen...

“That's what people do when they find a special place that wild and full of life, they trample it to death.” 13 likes
“and in the meantime don't jump to conclusions.” 12 likes