Cake Icing, Butt Budder & Tea Lids

Cake Icing, Butt Budder & Tea Lids

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  98 reviews
Cake Icing, Butt Budder and Tea Lids has been described as Sweet Home Alabama, the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Practical Magic and Steel Magnolias all rolled into one. "In the South, if a woman isn’t married by age twenty-five, it’s time for an intervention." This is the basis behind Delilah and Edna Thibodeaux’s dogged determination to make sure their beloved Jezze doesn’t end up a...more
Published 2011 by Renee Andrews

To ask other readers questions about Cake Icing, Butt Budder & Tea Lids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cake Icing, Butt Budder & Tea Lids

Jeanne
WOW, WOW, WOW -I love this book, THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE READ IN YEARS. It was laugh out loud funny and inspiring, I could not put it down and even the end was perfect. I am telling all my friends as this is a must read.. cheer you up kinda book.

Thank you Renee Andrews for making me smile so much. I am only sad I read it so fast, just could not put it down.
Brenda Waterbury
I absolutely loved this book! It was a wonderful story to end my summer with! It was just a sweet story that I could not put down! I laughed, I cried and in my world, that makes for a wonderful book!! I don't know when I last read an entire book in one day!
Marilyn
Loved this book! Love the narration by the young Jezebel telling her story. It's not often that you can find a good story with some leading character telling the tale. It is reminiscent of To Kill a Mockingbird. Very fine writing.
Tuesday
I picked up this great little read for my Kindle when it was a freebie on Amazon. One of the main reasons why I picked this was that the title was more on the whimsical side, and come on, who doesn't like cake icing? I think it took me less than three days to wind this charming book up.

The book is set in Louisiana - Cajun Country, where everyone's name seems to end in X, family is beyond tight knit, and good food is very, very important. The book actually spans a time period of about 25 years, b...more
Charley Girl
This book made me laugh. Not just a chuckle, but deep, belly-grabbing laughs. I smirked, rejoiced, hoped and said, “atta girl” throughout the book. This is a book that you will love or hate. If you are the type of person that believes in love at first sight (yes, I do), family that sticks together can accomplish almost anything, a child’s dreams and hopefulness and that love is worth everything then this book is for you.

Deliliah, an acronym for Deidre Edna Lucinda Isabelle Laila Ann Hiram, and...more
Jules
This book is the story of Jezebel Thibodeaux in LA who starts the story at 10 y.o. and grows up in the bakery of her mother and aunts. It follows her life as a teenager looking for the "right man" and watches as the women in her life meet the "right man" and move on in life. There is a lot of light-hearted humor and good times in the book. While definitely not in my genre of writing, I found myself chuckling and getting involved in the characters' lives and wanting to know what would happen next...more
Jane
When you start reading the book, you will wonder why the title. By the end it will all come together.
But I don't think I could ever bake a cake the way Delilah and Jezebel do. I've baked a lot of cakes but not as those two. I'm not sure it would be that freeing to me.
But the book will lighten your mood as you follow Jezebel from birth to marriage. You will laugh your way through it.
Nothing is this book is like other books I have read by Renee Andrews.
By the time you are through, pride and jo...more
Bobbye Hudspeth
This was totally unexpected. I thought it would be short vignettes of southern living, but it was the saga of a young southern girl in an "unorthodox" family...growing up in a bakery with a single mother and an aunt, all of them eventually looking for the "right man" and each finding him eventually. In unexpected places. I smiled as I started the book and was still smiling when I finished. I don't give many five stars these days, but when a book can really keep me engrossed and keep me smiling o...more
Cupcakencorset
A fun read. Set in a small town near New Orleans, this novel is cram-packed full of southern sweetness and charm. The main characters are quirky and adorable, in that near-stereotypical way we've come to expect in this type of story. And while that's not a bad thing, per se, I did find the story's complications and darker plot twists, which had the possibilities of real pathos and emotional depth, were resolved too easily. The characters were too good, in a pollyanna way, and too quick to forgiv...more
Stephanie
Loved it, although it isn't like any of the books in the description. It's in a class all on its own. I would have liked to have seen more about Jezze and T-Roy since that seems to be the climax of the book, but overall it was incredibly entertaining and it even had a good message if you read between the lines. A must read for anyone interested in Louisiana culture. Completely accurate references to things there. Makes me wish I was down there right now!
Debra
Strong, unique Southern women and sexy men populate this light-hearted book that I enjoyed more than I expected. The book's description says it all.

Oh, except as spectacular as the youtubes of the Christmas Eve bonfires are, I just have to believe that Jezze's is even better.
Cindy
I loved this book! The author really got me attached to the characters and their lives. Definitely a totally different type of story than what I expected. But a wonderful book. Looking forward to reading more by Renee Andrews!
Joanne
I LOVED this book! It is so hilarious and fun! The characters are wonderful... I saw it in the Kindle Lending Library, read the reviews, decided to try it, and couldn't put it down!
Teresa Collins

I'm not usually a romantic comedy type person; I'm more of a murder mystery fiend. But for some reason, this book just reached out and grabbed me. Boy am I glad it did. It is well-written with characters you have fallen in love with before you finish the first chapter. I laughed out loud and even had tears show up before I was through. It was also so much fun hearing all the slang I grew up with once again. Now, I'm not a Louisiana girl, but to these Alabama ears, those were sweet words! I can't...more
Mary
I love zany fun stories with wacky eccentric charaters. This fit that bill. A fun read, interesting characters, in a small, southern town.
Cheryl
Hilarious book! I will definitely read this one again at some point. I really recommend this book!
Kathy

Quirky, delightful, warm, touching, delicious, and did I mention quirky? Love it!
Elice Mcneely
Loved this book! Makes you laugh,makes you cry, just a good read!
Becky
Start to finish this book took me 12 hours. I loved it!!
Sandra Elliott
Surprisingly good read!

Ms. Andrews quirky characters and southern theme reminded me of Fanny Flagg. Uninhibited set of women and a story that you never know where it is going next. Highly recommended this book. Billed as a romantic comedy--that description is accurate, but doesn't do justice to the book. Very entertaining and surprising!
Christine Bennett
Iam reading Morning with Jesus from Guide Post and one of the stories was about your delicious Laganzana .I must have recipe much love and God Bless Your Sister in Christ CHRISTINE BENNETT
Coyney
Wow what an amazing book even if it did make me cry. I didn't want it to end
April
I loved this book. Well written story about two sisters raising the child of one sister in the south. The two sisters have a cake shop that is the heart of their community. They soon become beloved characters that keep the book moving and lively with their antics. Through out the story you will come to find out what each of the parts of the title mean. I couldn't put this book down for fear of leaving such endearing characters behind while I slept, worked, or ate. Highly recommend this book.
Diane
Intrigued by the title and that it was a free for Kindle, I added this book. So glad I did. It is fresh, funny and full of personality. The family dynamic is interesting and ever changing, the characters are fun to know and the story line moves well from childhood to adulthood for Jezze as she attempts to understand the people around her and her own lot in life. Not being a baker I will, however, never look at cake decorating in the same way ever ever again! ;)
Trea
This book was a mishmash for me. I found it boring overall, yet chuckled at a few of the predicaments the women found themselves in. It meandered in its own way, and had a common thread throughout it, yet I really didn't get engaged with the characters as much as I like to. The book just didn't work for me, and I had hoped that I would enjoy it more than I did. A disappointment overall, but I don't regret spending the time to read it.
Jennifer Marschel
I did like this book. Every now & then it is nice to read an easy and lighthearted book. It was entertaining but not hugely laugh out loud funny as some other readers had suggested. I would recommend this to someone who just wants an easy enjoyable read. I was debating between 3 & 4 stars and ultimately decided on 4 because it made me laugh, smile and it kept me coming back for more. It was not hard to get into but it was hard to out down.
Jacqueline Hopkins
I enjoyed this book as a lighthearted, fun, get you out of your own reality read. It is along the lines of Eat, Pray, Love and The Help, and if you enjoy both of those, you will enjoy this one.

I do have to say the cover is something left to be desired, and as with any book, self-published or traditionally published, it could use another proof-read or editor, but it did not hinder my enjoyment of reading this book.
I read womens fiction
This was a very cute read. Having spent some time in Louisiana, I felt like the author did a great job of creating the setting. The Thibodeaux name reminds me of good ole Louisiana hospitality and brings me back to my days in Lafayette.

If you are looking for a book with a some out of the ordinary humor, fun antics and a message for all, pick this one up.

I received a copy free during a promotion on Amazon.

Sandra Muldowney
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to laugh out loud and believes in love at first sight, and destiny. I enjoyed the story told through the eyes of Jezze, who grows into a 20something young lady in a family with a strong mom and aunt. There were some unexpected plot twists, which kept things interesting - nothing too developed or complicated. I enjoyed it and was glad I chose to read this freebie.
Kathy
When I got this book for free, I thought it would be a nice, fun read about bringing up a baby. I was pleasantly surprised to find the book was much deeper than I had thought. Yes, it was a fun read but there was some great substance to it. The author gave wonderful insight into a unique part of the South without making fun of this culture.

Great read!
  • South Beach Cinderella
  • The Do-Over
  • Do or Di
  • Crazy For You
  • Dead Case in Deadwood (Deadwood, #3)
  • Elly in Bloom
  • Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1)
  • Love is all around (Looking for Love #1)
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
National Readers' Choice Award and RT Reviewers' Choice Award winner Renee Andrews spends a lot of time in the gym. No, she isn't working out. Her husband, a former All-American gymnast, co-owns ACE Cheer and Tumbling. She is thankful the talented kids at the gym don't have a problem when she brings her laptop and writes while they sweat. When she isn't writing, she's typically traveling with her...more
More about Renee Andrews...
Healing Autumn's Heart (Claremont, Alabama, #2) Picture Perfect Family (Claremont, Alabama, #3) Her Valentine Family (Claremont, Alabama, #1) Yuletide Twins Heart of a Rancher (Claremont, Alabama #5)