Start by marking “Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles, #1)

Reveal (Cryptid Tales #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  980 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
You think seeing ghosts is weird? Tell me something I don't know.

My childhood best friend Jeremy, happens to be a ghost.

Besides that, my life is totally normal. Well except that my dad went missing when I was six. But my mom makes it work. And I have annoying brother. See, normal?
So why does my life feel like a train wreck waiting to happen... oh yeah because now Jeremy is
Published December 16th 2011 (first published December 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Reveal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reveal

The Broken Destiny by Carlyle LabuschagneWater Falls Down by Danielle RohrLosing It by Cora CarmackWitchBlood by Emma MillsWhen Destiny Knocks by Heather M. White
YA Lunch Room
7th out of 17 books — 37 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerFirelight by Sophie JordanDeadly Cool by Gemma HallidayNightshade by Andrea CremerShatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
best "eye" on the cover
354th out of 707 books — 1,757 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Apr 17, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it
The romance isn't developed enough to qualify this as a romance novel. The research on the basic scientific principles is nonexistent.
Finally If you plan on introducing an arch enemy halfway through the book give us some meat to work with. I neither hated nor feared the bad guy when the conclusion of the story came.

I really don't think that this should be classified as a basic YA or at the least should be for a mature YA audience.

While the characters fit into the YA genre well enough I found the
Cora Tea Party Princess
I did enjoy this, but it was a pretty average YA PNR and it fit easily around the standard formula: she's always been speshul and OMG he's so fit and INSTA LOVE and then save the day cause together they're EXTRA speshul but oh wait this is a series so maybe the bad guy will come back.

That being said, sometimes you need a predictable read, something you know which is going to do its job. Reveal was entertaining and it did have it's standout points. The whole Cryptid idea was a pretty original tak
Aeicha
Dec 10, 2011 Aeicha rated it liked it
YOU CAN READ THE ORIGINAL AND COMPLETE REVIEW AT WORD SPELUNKING

Brina Courtney’s REVEAL offers an intriguing and smart blend of sci-fi, the paranormal, and romance. As a debut novel, it is quite impressive.

MY BRIEF SUMMARY
High school senior Shay can see, hear, and speak to ghosts. A secret she has revealed to no one. But ghosts aren’t the only thing that haunts her. Her father’s mysterious and sudden disappearance years earlier has left her with big questions. After meeting Mr. Tall, Dark , and
Claire
Aug 15, 2012 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks, ya, r2r, paranormal
Holy cliffhanger!

Reveal was really easy to get into, and I didn't really want to put it down. It's about a high-school senior, who can speak with the dead. She meets her beau, a college student, who has his own powers, and answers to her questions about who she is and where she comes from. From conversing with the dead, shape-shifting, telepathy, and battling evil, there was lots to enjoy.

Alicia Huxtable
Mar 31, 2016 Alicia Huxtable rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cryptids.........

Well now I guess Cryptids is this author's name for shapeshifters........But they seem to be so much more than just that. And now Shay and Hugh need to really stick together.
Well written with great characters
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Reveal is the first in Brina Courtney's Cryptid Tales series and tells about a person who has animal genes mixed with human genes, and have animal-like traits as a result. Shay, the main character of the book, has the ability to speak to ghosts ever since she was little and it reminds me much of Angel Lawson's Wraith trilogy. As much as a human with animal genes and traits seem interesting, the execution was poor.

There doesn't seem to be a plot. I don't typically buy – actually, this was free on
Alexia Purdy
What an intriguing concept for a paranormal series! I’ve yet to read about Cryptids, so this sounded like a different kind of paranormal for me. I loved it! It follows a teen named Shay who is trying to graduate from high school and leads a pretty normal life. Or is it? Besides the fact she can see and hear ghosts, it’s pretty ordinary, right? At least until she meets Hugh, a hunky beefcake who studies at the local college where Shay’s mom works. She feels funny around him, and loves the fact th ...more
Kate's Reads
Dec 19, 2011 Kate's Reads rated it really liked it
Brina Courtney's debut novel Reveal (Cryptid Tales) is a wonderful YA read that will appeal to a larger audience.

The story is about Shay, a high school senior, who has the ability to see, hear and talk to ghosts. She feels very much alone as a result of this ability. Jeremy, a ghost, has been with her since her father disappeared/died many years ago. In recent months, Jeremy has been absent and Shay is not sure why.

Enter Hugh, who is a 'cryptid', which is to say - part human, part animal. They h
Raine Thomas
Jan 11, 2012 Raine Thomas rated it really liked it
I began my journey with Ms. Courtney's work through her short story, IGNITE, which I truly enjoyed. That story gave me a brief introduction to Jeremy, a character in REVEAL. I found it enlightening, and a fair sampling of what to expect in this book.

REVEAL was a great read. It follows the perspective of Shay, a teenage girl who we find out is something more than human. She can see and hear ghosts, a trait that belongs to a type of being called a Cryptid. Her connection to Jeremy, the character i
Angela ReadingCave
Jun 30, 2012 Angela ReadingCave rated it liked it
I liked it. I enjoyed the new concept of "cryptids". A "cryptid" part human, part animal; some of whom have special powers. I was grateful that there were no werewolves in the book regardless of the animal/human gene. I was very happy that there was not a love triangle.

There were parts of it that I tended to roll my eyes at- the instantly in love with him part, the being okay with him taking her out of the state part (without telling her) and the parental figure not freaking out about any of th
Raven
Jan 23, 2012 Raven rated it really liked it
Interesting and fun- another fast and easy read. The focus remained on a few key characters without throwing in unnecessary detail- straight and to the point. However, that is why I am giving four stars and not five. I feel that some of the explanations given to Shay about who/what she is and how she became that way were rushed and thrown together. I had to re-read a few paragraphs to grasp those particular points in the story to an otherwise self-explanitory book. I also feel Shay's reactions w ...more
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Oct 01, 2013 Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cryptid-tales
Review is for all 3 books

#1 "If I had only known then, what I know now, I never would have let him go."

"He loves you Shay, just admit to yourself and embrace it. Embrace who you are."

"We're connected he and I and, we're in this whole mess together."

#2 “Which scares the hell out of me. How did I end up in a war? I’m only eighteen years old for goodness sakes!”

“Tonight we fight for our freedom. For who we are and for what is our birthright.”

“You don’t have much of a choice. Time to own up.”

#3 “Sh
Shesaidbooks
Dec 15, 2011 Shesaidbooks rated it it was amazing
I read this book as an ARC from the author

Loved it- 4.5 / 5 stars (only because the ending angered me... I wanted more.)I LOVED this book. If you read my first post, you know that I look for many things in a fantastic book, and this book had all 5 of those components. It's the perfect blend of paranormal thriller, and romantic suspense, without being tacky or cheesy.

If you are interested in a great storyline, relatable and lovable characters, appropriate and modern language, and edgy, on- the- e
Kelly
Jan 15, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Ghosts, a missing dad, random psychic powers... YES! I read the short story prequel to this book recently and LOVED the world. So, I picked up Reveal and jumped straight in.

Where to begin? Shay is a girl who has found a way to hide a very big part of herself from everyone she holds dear. The one person who did know her secret - the ghost Jeremy - was accidentally banished by Shay's careless words. So when she finds another someone with the ability to hear ghosts, of course she's drawn to him. N
Wendy Cantu
Apr 25, 2012 Wendy Cantu rated it it was ok
Shelves: supernatural
Three-Sentence Synopsis:
Shay can talk to dead people, including a 70-year-old ghost of a boy who died in an orphanage fire. She meets Hugh and discovers that he has special powers of his own. Hugh “kidnaps” her and heads to Texas to teach her the truth about who she is.

Things I loved:
Hmm, not much I’d say I loved.

Things I liked:
The plot line took an interesting turn that I hadn’t seen in other books of this genre. It kept me curious to learn more about Shay and where her powers came from.

Thin
Beth Lehman
Jul 29, 2012 Beth Lehman rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Brina captured me with sentence one of this amazing story. She has taken the context of a paranormal YA romance and through the relatability of Shay, Hugh and Jeremy, has created s a heartbreaking humanity to a world made of fantastical beings and possibilities. Shay's world based on pain and loss, yet you never feel the absence of hope. I cannot voice enough how engaging Brina's writing and story was. I read ravenously and this book was quickly consumed because of it's unique story line and the ...more
Amy (Following the Reader)
Dec 17, 2011 Amy (Following the Reader) rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. Great first book in a new series! Check out the full review at my blog: Following The Reader

Reveal follows the story of Shay, a high school student that has been through a lot. Her Father went missing when she was a young girl and ever since that night, life hasn't been the same. Shay was close to her Dad and to this day, they don't know what happened to him. Since that night, Shay has been able to communicate with ghosts. Specifically a boy named Jeremy, who we were first introduced
Fabianne
May 19, 2012 Fabianne rated it it was ok
I loved the premise but there wasn't any relationship or plot development, but that is just my opnion. This story had a great potential, but it should be re-written. The adversities were too simple and silly, the fight against the villain too immature. Romance had a great potential, they could be a couple who peaple could've loved and remembered but, there wasn't ANY ( and by 'any' I mean 'nada', 'niente', 'nothing at all') development, I wouldn't even consider they friends. I'm sad, such a beau ...more
Melanie Adkins
Dec 21, 2011 Melanie Adkins rated it it was amazing
From age 6, Shay Tafford knows she's different. Not many kids have ghost
children as friends. None of Shay's friends have the sleek, natural black hair
she has. Then she meets Hugh and learns she's more different than even she thought.
He shows her how to embrace the differences. Life does change from that moment
on.
If you are looking for a YA book that will grab you and pull you in -REVEAl
is it. This book starts out hot and gets hotter (the story starts well and gets better)
You are missing a wonde
Brenna
Jun 05, 2015 Brenna added it
Reveal (Cryptid Chronicles Book 1) written by Courtney Brina was a very good read. It was a pretty short read as well as an easy book to get through. I was honestly surprised at how fast I read this book. Once I got started, the chapters began to fly by, and before I knew it I was finished with the book. Reveal is a very well written book, with lots of details and a storyline so captivating that you can’t put the book down. I enjoyed this book from start to finish, and wouldn’t have changed anyt ...more
Jessica Bronder
Jun 19, 2014 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
Shay has been able to communicate with ghosts for as long as she can remember. Her guide has been Jeremy, a young boy that perished in a fire at the orphanage he lived at. Then one day she gets upset and accidently banishes him which she has regretted since then. As Shay is finishing her senior year at high school, she runs into a cute guy, Huge, at the college that her mother works at.

She also meets Wendy, a 6 year-old girl that is looking for her father. Through her, Shay learns that she can s
Kristen Noel
Jun 18, 2014 Kristen Noel rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
The Good
•Unique plot
•Entertaining
•Quick read

The Bad
•Insta-love
•Lack of character development
•Too much telling and not enough showing

Even though Reveal is a fast paced and quick read, it packs a lot into its pages. It presents a unique plot that I was really interested in. There were a lot of different things happening in this book, and it kept my attention the entire time. I was really intrigued by the cryptid element of this book.

"A cryptid, it's a creature based on the genetics of the human r
Lissette
Jul 03, 2014 Lissette rated it really liked it
From a very early age, Shay Tafford has been able to speak to the dead. She can also see them. It's a gift she doesn't speak much about for fear of being ousted by others. Deep inside, she knows there's something about herself that makes her unique, even if she can't quite understand the reason why. Someone out there must know the reasons behind she can do what she does. Unfortunately, there's no one she can truly place her trust in so that she can find out what she needs to know.

Everything chan
Tassha
Aug 13, 2012 Tassha rated it it was amazing
This book was better than I thought it would be. I like the fact that the author didn't go into all these details about houses or material things. I hate it when authors do that, Stephen King is bad for that in his books. I thought this book was well written and it had me hooked to where I didn't want to go to bed cause I wanted to know what would happen next. I'm hoping to buy the 2nd book to this, I would like to know a little more about the man in the black coat.
Rya/Jenny
Aug 19, 2012 Rya/Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2-review
Note - I received this book from the author for free in exchange for an honest review.

A missing father, a ghostly friend, and an ancient prophecy. These add up to one good story. Shay and Hugh know they are destined to fulfill the prophecy, but will they succeed?

The story is a little slow at points, but is well written and enjoyable. I do wish there had been more development with the relationship, instead of 'bam'.

Also, curse you cliffhanger!
Beth
I don't know how I managed to read 11 chapters before finally giving up. The plot doesn't seem to move, heck, I'm not sure what the plot is supposed to be about. What did it for me was all the grammatical errors that kept popping up. I can look past one or two mistypes but this was too much to ignore. She had incomplete sentences ("And note I need a shower.") to run on sentences that begged for commas. Maybe this bothered me because I'm a writer.
Clarice
Jul 06, 2014 Clarice rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book! It has quite a bit going on, but it all ties in together. And obviously Shay has a lot going on. One thing is a ghost named Wendy who Shay is trying to help in the book. I just found it hard to get a handle on what side Wendy was on for pretty much most of the book. You get this weird trippy "I might be evil" vibe from her the entire time you are reading. It's downright creepy. And then there is the sense that there is definitely more going on with Shay's mom than wh ...more
Tnt Reviews
Jun 10, 2014 Tnt Reviews rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

SHAY ~ Has no father figure growing up and her childhood memories aren't of picnics and fishing but rather talking to the dead! A macabre ability she tries to hide for obvious reasons!? Her "bestie" is Jeremy who happens to be dead (go figure).

There's a twist to her "gifts" and all is not as it seems, unknown to Shay she is a part of something much bigger than herself.

HUGH~The hunk she's had her eye on for some time shares her "gift
JENNIFER
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! This is a fast paced but not too fast story. It's easy to fall in love with. I love all the characters. There is drama, action, mystery, secrets, laughs, super cutesy moment. I love this story and will definitely be reading the next installments. I am hooked, lined and sinker.
Jessica Figueroa
Mar 16, 2014 Jessica Figueroa rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, tours
This was an interesting introduction. But my problems were that this book felt rushed. Then there was the instant love that bothered me, nothing really happened to make her want love him. There was no romance or anything must between each other other then that one similarity. I would want to say more about but I don't want to give out spoilers. What I did love was the idea of cryptids and how it ties to ghosts. I thought the characters were good but wished there was more to them. The story line ...more
  • Survival (The Guardians of Vesturon, #1)
  • The Overtaking
  • Sophie's Secret (Whispers, #1)
  • Weaver (Weaver Saga #1)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Matter Heart (Cor Griffin Bloodsuckers, #1)
  • Five (Elemental Enmity, #1)
  • Stained (Stained, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Golden Blood (Time Spirit Trilogy, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Nevermore, #1)
  • Jaguar Sun (Jaguar Sun, #1)
  • The Ghostly Grammar Boy (The Dusk Duo, #1)
  • Vampire in Distress (Family Blood Ties, #2)
  • Midnight Fire (Rise of the Dark Angel, #1)
  • Seeds of Discovery (Dusk Gate Chronicles, #1)
  • Released (Romani Realms #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
Brina Courtney is a young adult author obsessed with chocolate, crime shows, and fantasy movies. She's spent the last few years as an elementary teacher and a high school cheering coach. She lives in a small town in Pennsylvania with her husband and two very loud, small dogs.

More about Brina Courtney...

Cryptid Tales (4 books)
  • Ignite (Cryptid Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Capture (Cryptid Chronicles, #2)
  • Settle (Cryptid Chronicles, #3)