Chasing Mona Lisa: A Novel

Chasing Mona Lisa: A Novel (Swiss Agents)

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  545 ratings  ·  148 reviews
One enigmatic smile. Two passionate protectors. And a relentlessly ticking clock.

August 1944. Paris is on the cusp of liberation. As the soldiers of the Third Reich flee the Allied advance, they ravage the country and steal countless pieces of irreplaceable art. In fact, Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable one of all--the Mona Lis...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Revell

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Mona Lisa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Mona Lisa

Fakhrina
Spent most of time trying to figure out what is actually going on then realizing there's actually nothing going on at all. The main characters, Gabi and Eric, left to their own devices to discover what they're supposed to do, and ended up loitering and sightseeing all over Paris. From the title of the book, I was under the assumption that the story is fill with intense and rapid plot from the get go. I was wrong. The entire storyline felt too monotonous and underwhelming and the action scenes fo...more
Brenda
I have read several books written by Tricia Goyer and would consider her a favorite author, but with this title I just couldn't get into the story. I am not sure if the problem was because this book was a sequel to "The Swiss Courier" which I didn't read. Generally I love historical fiction, especially when there is bits of truth woven in but there were a few things that didn't work for me in this book.
It took several pages for me to even get interested in the story, but once I did the French ph...more
Lynn  Davidson
If you don’t know much about the Second World War, or even if you do, Chasing Mona Lisa will present to you a different slant on how things were. Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey take the reader into the drama and danger of the time when Nazi Germany was overpowering Europe and laying claim to all the wealth they wanted.

Hitler’s Germany had overrun France, and some over-zealous prominent military officials were determined to add to their private collections as much valued artwork as they could.

We me...more
Loraine
If you are interested in art and World War II, this is a top notch novel. It involves art theft, underground resistance movement in France, the Communist versus DeGaulle rivalry in France, and the OSS. Throw in a couple of love connections and you have a great story. I'd love to see this one made in to a movie!
Cindy
Wow, this one was hard, it is hard to write a review on a book by a favorite author that didn't blow your socks off. And this one didn't do that for me. The story line was sweet between Eric and Gabi, but there were lots of side stories that distracted. And I had a difficult time with not knowing what some of the French phrases meant. A translation page at the end of the book would have helped greatly.

While it was obvious they did their research, I just had trouble buying the story. My favorite...more
Linda
It’s August, 1944. France is on the verge of liberation. Allied forces are advancing, while the Third Reich flees. Though Germany is retreating, Reichsmarchall Hermann Goring wants to steal the most precious painting of France–the Mono Lisa–a symbol of their freedom. The race is on between the Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler against Colonel Heller’s henchman.

It was while Gabi and Eric were still fighting off stragglers from the Third Reich in France, alongside Bernard Rousseau...more
Title: CHASING MONA LISA
Authors: Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey
Publisher: Revell
January 2012
ISBN: 978-0800720469
Genre: Inspirational/historical fiction

In August of 1944 Paris is on the cusp of liberation. The soldiers of the Third Reich are fleeing the Allied advance, but enroute they steal countless pieces of irreplaceable art. Reichsmarschall Hermann Goring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable piece of all, the Mona Lisa.

Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler are on a miss...more
Ruth
3.5 Stars. Eric Hofstadler and Gabi Mueller, two Swiss nationals working for the American OSS (Office of Strategic Services) based in neutral Switzerland, are sent into occupied France to bring supplies, money, and instructions to the cash-strapped and freedom-hungry resistance. Paris, the famed City of Lights, is a powder keg waiting to explode. After four years of Nazi rule, the scent of freedom is in the air as the Allies begin their advance across Europe following the D-Day invasion toward t...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Chasing Mona Lisa by Mike Yorkey & Tricia Goyer is the sequel to The Swiss Courier about Gabi Mueller, a Swiss-American woman working behind the scenes in WWII to help the Allies save the day. This novel picks up shortly after the events of the previous book with Gabi and her boyfriend Eric traveling to Paris to bring first aid supplies and aid to the Resistance fighters in the city. Paris is on the crux of exploding as the Germans refuse to let go of the city that is slipping out of their f...more
Kaylea
A hidden masterpiece. Protected during the war, becomes the target of a massive chase through Europe. Who will win? The good guys - spies for the OSS or the Nazis'.

In their second book - Chasing Mona Lisa - Mike Yorkey and Tricia Goyer dive back into the political intrigue surrounding OSS spies at the end of World War II, as they show how Gabi and Eric (who appeared in their first book - The Swiss Courier) take part in their mission to protect the Mona Lisa - the French prized jewel - from Germa...more
Donna
War, intrigue, and a little romance come together in "Chasing Mona Lisa." The year is 1944, and the people of Paris are tired of being trampled on, but more than that, they are tired of seeing their precious art work stolen by the Germans. The Underground tries to stop things, but...

Gabi and Eric are trying to bring supplies to Paris, but quickly become embroiled in the conflict and work with the resistance. What happens when Gabi finds papers that incriminate someone from their ranks in the di...more
Melissa
This is by far one of the best books that I have read in awhile. Although, I didn't want to put it down...I had to for sleep. But I couldn't wait until naptime (for the kids) to start reading again.

This is one of those books that you don't want to end. Not only because of the characters, but to finish the story. But also because I'm finding more and more interest in the WWII era, and love when authors show great care in their development of the story using historical facts.

I am finding more and...more
Abbie Riddle
This fast paced novel is set at the close of World War II in German occupied France just as France gains it's freedom. Four people are racing to save the beloved French artwork - the Mona Lisa while German Reichmarschall Hermann Goring sets out to claim it for himself.

From the first page the action and intrigue is non-stop. I was surprised at the depth of the characters since there were so many in the novel. Just as the reader thinks they have it all figured out - and have chosen the character t...more
Renee
Chasing Mona Lisa is an action-packed historical thrill-ride with a romantic thread. I enjoyed how this story transported me to World War II, which is one of my favorite time periods. From the opening scene, this novel sucked me in and kept me turning pages during my study halls at schools (who knows what my students were doing!) and late into the night. I couldn’t wait to discover what would happen in the lives of Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler and the other couple that featu...more
Lydia (Overweight Bookshelf)
First reviewed here :

In Chasing Mona Lisa readers are treated to an action packed historical adventure. Told from the perspective of a multiple characters from varying political and ethnic backgrounds, the fictional accounts of historical events are rich and varied. Unfortunately, I felt that the event driven elements of the story were at the expense of character development and emotional connection. The plot line surrounding the Mona Lisa was secondary to the Resistance efforts as it wasn't unt...more
Blossom
Great book. The history in this is very good. Although this is fiction, there is so much accuracy it is great. I watched The Train a few years ago and that was the first I'd heard (that I recall) of Germans acquiring works of art for their own gain. The movie isn't anything like the book but I recalled it while reading this. During my reading of this book, I did some research and was surprised by what I found: this book is a good historical fiction work! As I already mentioned, it has quite accu...more
NancyInWI
I'd probably give this book 2 and a half stars. It wasn't my cup of tea. I'm not a historical fiction reader, but thought I'd give this one a try. A book should not take to page 200 to capture my attention to make me want to read more. I found I had to force myself to read it. The characters weren't engaging, the writing wasn't anything special and nothing really happened until late in the book. I probably wouldn't have bothered finishing it if it weren't for a book group on Goodreads that picke...more
Brittany
Gabi Mueller and the Resistance have a very important job,they must protect the priceless "Mona Lisa" from those who wish to steal her. But the enemy will stop at nothing to foil their plans. Gabi and the Resistance are in a race against time, but they refuse to give up!
This story will keep you on the end of your seat, the suspense is nerve-racking. The end is surprising. And Tricia Goyer has just the perfect way of putting it all together, it is fascinating.
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
I was drawn into this book from page one. It was a travel back in time, and a vacation of sorts through France. This book takes place when France is being liberated from Germany. The very valuable picture The Mona Lisa has gone missing and it is a race against time to get her back.
Tricia writes so vividly you feel as if you are right there experiencing everything the characters are. I highly recommend this one!
Barbara Brink
A quick read - I read it while running on the treadmill a few days one week:) Very enjoyable historical suspense with intriguing passages about the French resistance and political aspects during WWII. A small thread of romance throughout, but I think it may have been continued from an earlier book that I have not read. Yet, I didn't feel as though I were missing any information. It was a standalone story.
Karen
I just could not get to any point with this book and gave up when I was almost at 80% read. The books was good, but at the same time it annoyed me for some reason. I seemed like there were more books than just one here and some of it was an off splinter on another. I want to finish it, but cannot seem too. Very strange book experience.....
Alicia Willis
16+ for adult content and some violence.

This was my second book by Tricia Goyer and I absolutely loved it. Rich in WWII history, I learned so much about the French side of the war, including the inner-conflicts of politics and communism. The topic of the Mona Lisa itself was a fascinating one, and I enjoyed the deep history behind the painting of the world's most famous woman.

I should have read the first book in the series, but this still served as a good stand-alone. There were a lot of charact...more
Charity
Not every day does a book come along that completely enthralls you in its story. And not often for me is that book a war book. Well, Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey just came along. And let me tell you, this is a humdinger of a book:)

MY REVIEW-I have recently become interested in reading books that are focused around the war. Either of them. I normally do not like this type of book. I like historical novels but it has to be really good for me to like a World War story. So I had...more
ReviewsByMolly
Jan 30, 2012 ReviewsByMolly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to ReviewsByMolly by: LitFuse
Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey has done it again! They co-wrote The Swiss Courier together and wow! I was blown away then and I'm once again blown away by their ability to write a smooth flowing, complex, edge of your seat novel once again. I loved The Swiss Courier, and I LOVED Chasing Mona Lisa!

Eric and Gabi, Swiss spies, are back and in full swing of things as they taken on another fast-paced thrilling case....this time, chasing down the infamous Mona Lisa painting during the liberation of Fran...more
When I read the synopsis for this book, I knew I wanted to read it. It's August 1944 and Paris is on the cusp of liberation. The Nazis who have been stealing priceless art work are now after the Mona Lisa and OSS (Office of Strategic Services) agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler are assigned to retrieve the famous painting from its hiding place and return it to the Louvre. I had high expectations for this book, and although I enjoyed it I had some issues with it.

The story begins with a prolo...more
Heidi
The book starts off with a resistance member Barnard Rousseau saving priceless works of Art from being blown up by another group of resistance and the story doesn't stop moving from that point. We meet several wonderful and amazing characters that anyone would root for or fall in love with. Collette, a curator of the Louvre of France, Barnard Rousseau of the Communist-run Resistance Group, Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadle OSS agents and many other well written characters from history. Gabi and E...more
Anna
Firstly, I'm a huge fan of Tricia Goyer, and I LOVED her WWII Liberator series. I got this book free from Christian Bookstore. This is also my first time reading an eBook {On my iTouch}, whereas I prefer real books. (more accurately my second time. I read a PDF of "Night" by Elie Wiesel)

Tricia Goyer, as always, did a phenomenal job researching this, and I am still wondering what is true and what isn't, because it reads like non-fiction.

There weren't any "boring parts" and I loved the action and...more
Holly Renee
August 1944. Paris is on the cusp of liberation. As the soldiers of the Third Reich flee the Allied advance, they ravage the country and steal countless pieces of irreplaceable art. In fact, Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable one of all—the Mona Lisa—as a postwar bargaining chip.
But the woman with the mysterious smile has some very determined protectors. Can Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler rescue Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece befor...more
Voni Harris
Captivating!

Between the covers of Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer and Mike Yorkey, I saw for the first time the ripple effect of Nazi power in post-occupation France.

When the Nazis fled before the French resistance and the closing-in Americans, it left a vacuum of power between de Gaulle and the French Communist Party.

And there's a vacuum in the art museums (the Louvre in specific, in this story) of France, as the Nazis have been taking what they could for their own, and the French have been s...more
It took me a little while to get fully into the story, but once engaged I was compelled to keep reading and see how the plot would play out. I loved the descriptions of France and Switzerland as well as the interactions of the different characters. While the story is a work of fiction, there was some historical fact woven into the story that provided credibility that helped it seem plausible.

Along with the suspense as several individuals are trying to seize control of the Mona Lisa, there are t...more
Christian Fiction...: May Group Read - Chasing Mona Lisa 49 53 May 25, 2013 07:39AM
  • Wildflowers of Terezin
  • Highland Sanctuary (Highlands #2)
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Flame of Resistance
  • The Call of Zulina (Grace in Africa, #1)
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • Wedded to War (Heroines Behind the Lines, #1)
  • Fairchild's Lady (The Culper Ring, #1.5)
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, # 1)
  • Words Spoken True
  • Love Amid The Ashes (Treasure Of His Love)
  • Through the Fire
  • Two Crosses: A Novel (The Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #1)
  • How Huge the Night
  • Cooking the Books (Sloane Templeton Mysteries #1)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Directed Verdict
  • Lion of Babylon
Tricia Goyer is a busy mom of six, grandmother of two, and wife to John. Somewhere around the hustle and bustle of family life, she manages to find the time to write fictional tales delighting and entertaining readers and non-fiction titles offering encouragement and hope. A bestselling author, Tricia has published thirty-three books to date and has written more than 500 articles. She is a two tim...more
More about Tricia Goyer...
Beside Still Waters (The Big Sky Series, #1) By the Light of the Silvery Moon From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1) The Swiss Courier The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)