Start by marking “The Lost Prince” as Want to Read:
The Lost Prince
read book* *Different edition

The Lost Prince

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,541 ratings  ·  107 reviews
A stirring, deeply romantic adventure story about the lost heir to a kingdom, by the author of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess.
Published 1915 by The Century Company

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Prince

Wealhtheow
Marco is a 12 year old boy raised by his father and his father's devoted servant. They live in dingy little rented rooms that are visited by secretive gentlemen. They travel constantly, and Marco has been trained since birth to pass as a native of any of the countries in Europe. When a crisis hits, Marco needs all of his training and devotion to his father.

This is a romantic tale, not in the sense of love but in the sense that it's a fantasy of how European feudalism works, a bit like The Prison
Sineala
This was a beautiful and powerful book. This book has earned a place of honor on my bookshelves. I want all my children to read it! It is a classic of the first class! This book is heavy duty on the reading and vocabulary, many youngters of today would have a hard time getting into it at first, but once they understand where the story is going, I bet they won't be able to put it down!

So many things to learn from studying this story: What it means to be a man, the influence of a good Father on a
Emily
Jun 11, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Secret Garden and A Little Princess
Shelves: childrensbooks
Marco Lorestan, the hero of this story, is the lesser-known brother to Mary Lennox and Sara Crewe (and I guess Little Lord Fauntleroy, which, unbelievably, I have never read). I've always wondered why so few people have heard of this book, because Burnett's other stories are so famous, and the theme, about a clever, odd, out-of-place child coming of age in trying circumstances is very similar. It might be because all the characters are male and Burnett is not an especially convincing masculine w ...more
Monika
I had a feeling it would be great and I wasn't wrong. It was a very pleasant novel. I like almost everything about it: characters, places, adventures - all are very interesing.
I admit that the plot is very predictable but it didn't bother me. I could easly connected with the story and characters.

Young Marco is lovely. He has also this beautiful kindness, gentleness and wisdom which make him even more interesting as a child character. Also his father is a very strong character. And I felt sympat
Chrissie
This book is hardly known, and yet it to is written by the author of The Secret Garden. It was not the plot that engaged me, when I read it years ago, but how I felt for Marco and the Rat. I was in their shoes. When they were hurt, I was hurt. When they were happy, I was too. The author made me, a child, feel complete empathy for these two fictional characters.

I wonder if I would love it so much now, but for me then, it was one of the best books ever written. That is why I have given it 5 stars
This is a solid gold book by the genius who wrote the Secret Garden.

It features:

a 12 year old military genius

a quest, with crutches

a noble honest and true prince and his faithful snarky smart companion

someone nicknamed The Rat who is a dreamboat and a military genius!

... oh no, I see I've made a fatal mistake, all is discovered, look, don't arrest me, I was much younger when I first read it.
Grace
When I first bought my kindle, I wanted some books on it, but I didn’t want to pay for them (since I had just spent a bunch on the kindle). I was going through the free book list on kindle, and I saw some books by one of my favorite childhood authors, Frances Hodgson Burnett. Of course, I grabbed The Secret Garden, just to have it, but I also downloaded a book of hers that I had not yet read, The Lost Prince. (It’s still available for free on kindle, by the way.)

The main character, Marco, is a
Juliana Es
As much as I love Secret Garden and A Little Princess, the same can't be said for this novel. It is okay, but I think it stretches far too long and moves a bit too slow. Burnett, I'm afraid, did not create a convincing strong male protagonist in the form of a twelve-year-old boy, even though she did inject good characteristics that not only I'd love any children to have, but myself, too.

I'd willingly reread A Little Princess and Secret Garden word by word anytime, but not The Lost Prince. The pl
Sara Wagner
When you first meet Marco, you want to just assume he is another grubby kid living in the slums of Victorian England, but you don't even need a second glance to realize there's more to him than that. Poor boys with patched up, dirty clothes and unkempt hair don't stand straight-backed and confident; sons of poor writers who are forced to travel from city to city every year do not look tend to look at their fathers with such unabashed admiration; and a starving father-son family does not travel a ...more
Emily Whelchel
In many ways, this is quite similar to The Little Princess, which is one of my favorite books of all time. However, The Lost Prince did not capture my attention. It was obviously written to appeal for boys, which is perhaps why it did not attract my attention, but the twist ending seemed so contrived and predictable that I guessed it from the first chapter.

There are memorable characters within the book, and I always love Burnett's portrayals of the relationship between father and child.

The Los
Kat
This has been my least favorite entry so far on my epic Frances Hodgson Burnett marathon. That isn't to say that the book is terrible, just that it is problematic and clumsy in contrast with the rest of FHB's work. FHB's works -- including this one -- both show and tell that good people are primarily the result of good nurture rather than good nature, and have many characters of high social standing who are as strictly principled as they are because they are so aware of both their power and thei ...more
gina
somewhat predictable but cute story of a boy working for a cause greater than himself.
Sue
This is one of the lesser-known novels for teenagers by Frances Hodgson Burnett (best known for 'The Secret Garden'). It was written about a hundred years ago, so is out of copyright and was free for my Kindle.

The story is loosely based on fact, but features an imaginary Eastern European country called Samavia. Marco, the young protagonist of the book, has been brought up as a patriot by his father, despite never having been there. He is observant and intelligent, and knows when to be quiet. He
Vivian
I read this aloud to my children ten (or more?) years ago. I have all daughters so it was rough going at first as there are almost NO GIRLS (or women) in this book. The plot may seem a bit contrived but there is SO MUCH food for thought embedded in the narrative. Hence the five stars. I found it to be a MUST OWN and need to give it another visit. After reading it I did a little reading up on the author -- which I recommend for anyone. Her life was no primrose path.
Catherine
Although this book is predictable as many other reviewers have said, it is a beautiful story. I think the story is less about a lost prince as it is symbolism for God the Father and Jesus Christ.

I love the life lessons on having a positive attitude, being patient, not having jealousy, using the power of thought, and other things. I found this book soothing in many ways. There were a few parts that dragged on a bit, but overall, I enjoyed this novel.
Sara
I did not finish the book. I rarely put a book down and walk away out of boredom. I read 60% of it and just could not read any further. I did not find anything objectionable in it and can appreciate the writing style. The storyline, however, is so contrived and the plot moves far too slowly. I also disliked having a child called "The Rat" (I grasp the context but I still found it offensive). This was just not for me.
Just A. Bean
Pretty standard FHB. As with all her books, you kind of have to wade through the ludicrous plot and a fair amount of period classism, ableism and Orientalism, and then survive the odd left hand turn into a discourse on the power of prayer (which is thereafter able to work our heroes out of any crunch, and combines with the first three to form what is known in academic circles as "toxic bullshitism"). If you manage to get through all that, it's a very sweet story about two boys who would do anyth ...more
Brenda Clough
If you are a Lord Peter Wimsey fan, then you remember in HAVE HIS CARCASE when Harriet Vane settles down in the boarding house and, instead of writing her novel, reads romantic novels? This must be one of the novels she read. In which a young man, raised in the most unpromising of circumstances, nevertheless exhibits innate nobility and royalty and finally steps forward to take the throne.
This plot almost cries out for parody, but in fact it's quite serious (like a similar work, GRAUSTARK). Jus
Bish Denham
I can see why this is a little known Burnett novel. Marco, the main character, is a twelve year old who is just too perfect for words. Although Burnett's writing is beautiful and her descriptions wonderful, there's too much of it, plus she did a lot of telling instead of showing. I got to the point where I was totally skimming over page after page after page. Plus, the reader knows right from the beginning who the lost prince is and yet somehow, the lost prince is ignorant of the fact until the ...more
Sherri
I have conflicting feelings about this story. I began reading it because of the upcoming 100 year anniversary of the start of WWI. I knew it was written before the Great War and there would be a lot of Victorian baggage, that it was a kids book and there would be important lessons for the reader to learn. Knowing all this I was not terribly surprised by the blatant class divisions, of people who knew their place by instinct and saw nothing wrong with the system. Although i liked The Rat (I don't ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Aug 21, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: Ellen Kushner's blog (comments)
Shelves: children-ya
I think the writer of Raising the Griffin may have written that partly as an homage to this. Except that the situations of the protagonists are reversed. (I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling either or both books for those who haven't read them.) The name Ivor being important in both books is making the "not a coincidence" light blink rapidly in my brain.

When attempting to actually read this, I suffered from, well, the things that have happened in reading and writing since this was publ
Katie Middleton
A great story although I found it a little slow a the beginning to gather momentum. Beautifully written, although I wouldn't expect anything less from this author.
"They saw the sun go down, and shade by shade, deepen and make radient then draw away with it the last touches of colour - rose-gold, rose-purple, and rose-grey. One mountain top after another held it's blush a few moments and lost it. It took long to gather them all but at length they were gone and the marvel of night fell."
I just fe
Jill
This is a good solid children's classic. It's the story of a young boy and his father who travel around the world learning languages and gaining knowledge about everthing from art to geography while preparing for the return of a prince to a fictional land called Samavia. I was impressed by the relationship between the son and his father and the level of respect each had for the other. Also, I liked the themes of love of learning and the power of the mind to accomplish good. The character develop ...more
Julie
This book is so intriguing! I absolutely love this book, I've read it about 8 times. The Author is amazing, the story is Awesome! Its just an all around good book!
Tim
A children's classic, recommended to me by my children. A wonderful story with an engaging tone.

Details: A boy in London is being brought up by his father to love his lost homeland in eastern Europe. We follow the Marco Loristan on the journey to his destiny from London. The kindness exhibited in the story is touching and the sensitive treatment of all the characters is very well written.

This is a quick read for adults and the denouement is not surprising, but I was led so well along the path -
Althalus
I have just finished reading this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The language was wonderful and the story was simple and filled with adventure and there boyish delight at going of on the secret mission caught you up.
Donna
I realize that I'm not the target audience for which this book was intended. This was just okay for me. I guess I was expecting so much more, but it fell short of my expectations. I enjoyed Secret Garden and Little Princess and was hoping this was going to be right up that alley. It wasn't.
Emily
Burnett continues to riff on her favorite themes in THE LOST PRINCE. These are: children yearn to follow a good/just leader, there are forces in the universe that will help you attain your dreams if you can be devoted/focused enough, and if you act carry yourself with dignity and cheer, everyone will be in awe of you. I did enjoy the part when the boys have an active part in traveling for the sake of The Game.

THE LOST PRINCE is predictable to a fault and promotes a servile hero-worship that I j
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/384/38...
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • Jack and Jill
  • What Katy Did at School (Carr Family, #2)
  • Mother Carey's Chickens
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
  • The Brethren
  • Chained to the Barbarian (Palace Brides #2)
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • The Lantern Bearers
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • In Freedom's Cause: A Story of Wallace and Bruce
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...
The Secret Garden A Little Princess Little Lord Fauntleroy Sara Crewe, Or What Happened At Miss Minchin's The Secret Garden & A Little Princess