Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)

Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane #6)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,316 ratings  ·  346 reviews
WHEN A MASKED MAN . . .

Twenty years ago Maximus Batten witnessed the brutal murders of his parents. Now the autocratic Duke of Wakefield, he spends his days ruling Parliament. But by night, disguised as the Ghost of St. Giles, he prowls the grim alleys of St. Giles, ever on the hunt for the murderer. One night he finds a fiery woman who meets him toe-to-toe—and won't back...more
Mass Market Paperback, 360 pages
Published October 15th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Duke of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duke of Midnight

No Good Duke Goes Unpunished by Sarah MacLeanDuke of Midnight by Elizabeth HoytThe Sum of All Kisses by Julia QuinnThe Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleySomewhere to Dream by Genevieve Graham
2013 Historical Romance (July - December)
2nd out of 277 books — 551 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
125th out of 2,478 books — 12,491 voters

More lists with this book...

The Cat Bastet
10/15/2013:

So I got up at midnight to read this because of course I did.

Even with a wondrous thing like Thief of Shadows, I do always feel a little letdown with this series, but I think it's because I am looking forward to each release so much that I'm bound to feel that way.

In this case, though, there is a pretty basic element that I think is a real problem, and here it is:

(view spoiler)...more
Rane

I'm always in the height of anticipation when it comes to Hoyt's newest book. When I found out it was to be Maximus Batten, Duke of Wakefield book, I couldn't wait to see how Hoyt would make him eat his harsh words toward a kind lady's companion and what made him tick.

The thing was he was out shined by IMO the best heroine of the series so far Artemis Greaves. Artemis has had some really crappy hands dealt to her in life and the last blow was her very sane twin brother Apollo thrown into Bedla...more
Christina
EDIT: read, 3,5 stars.

Elizabeth Hoyt is one of my favorite romance authors...

...but really though? That uptight, self-serving a@ssh@t who tried to marry off his own sister to an (abusive) man she didn't love, for his selfish ambitious purposes, is getting a book?

I do have some reluctant faith, but his redemption better be believable.
Sanaa
It's about time! Loved this. I've waited forever for the story of Maximus Batten, Duke of Wakefield.
I was pleasantly surprised that I loved the heroine more than the guy!

I've had my eye on Maximus since Notorious Pleasures. Mister "I can do no wrong" is surely put to the test here. He's used to giving orders and getting what he wants. But in this story, his station in life is the one thing that is keeping him from his true desire.

The mystery of the Ghost of St. Giles continues. We all know tha...more
Jess
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B-

After losing both her parents and her twin brother who’s locked in a mental institution after being accused of murdering three of his friends, Artemis is forced into taking a position as her cousin’s companion, and while treated well, she’s still little more than her cousin Penelope’s servant. Her entire focus is on finding a way to save her brother. Everyone else has written him off as a lost cause, a madman who should be forgotten, but he...more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
**Five Glittering Stars**

I think I am running out of words to describe just how much I LOVE this series! Time and again, Ms Hoyt enthrals me with her unforgettable characters, compelling plots and sensual romances.

This was not a man to be swayed by gentleness, beauty, or sweet words. He would bend – assuming he was even capable of bending – only for reasons of his own.

I didn't particularly like Maximus in the previous books but there was just something about him that intrigued me. I wanted to k...more
Keri
4.5 Stars. Ms. Hoyt is truly talented as she continues with her Maiden Lane series. I really liked Artemis, but Maximus came off as a spoiled boy at times. Having said that though, I really enjoyed the book and so hoping that she is going to continue the series. We have Apollo, Phoebe, Asa and others that need their HEA. LOVE this series!
Lady Wesley
Absolutely five stars! Maximus Batten is Hoyt's hottest hero yet, and he meets his match, in more ways than one, in Artemis Greaves. I don't have time to write a long review, but I wouldn't know how to anyway. See my status updates for some great quotes. My only complaint -- I would have enjoyed seeing a bit more of Maximus and Artemis as a publicly recognized couple at the end. But that's just me.

And . . . Ms. Hoyt leaves us with a hell of a teaser in the epilogue. Will her next hero be Asa Mak...more
Kajol
Jul 14, 2012 Kajol marked it as to-read
MAXIMUS!!!!

la, la, la, la, LAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my! I don't know why I'm so excited when there isn't even a proper official review on Goodreads yet, but maybe it's because I always secretly imagined him as a hero. So rigidly in control, I always thought he suppressed all emotions.. It'll be a wonder to see him lose control!! :D

Can't. Bloody. WAIT. Ah!
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.25/5; 3 stars; B

I debated a lot about the rating of this book. I enjoyed it, as I do with all the books I've read by this author, but it doesn't have enough memorable content to push it up to four stars for me. I've read much of the Maiden Lane series and for some reason always feel a bit disappointed with the stories. As if they are on the cusp of being great but just miss it by a smidgen. On a positive note though, the narrator, Claudia Harris, did an excellent job acting out the story.

This...more
Fani

Artemis.
I liked what I saw about Artemis Greaves in the previous books; however in her own book, Artemis let me down. First of all, she didn't act as a lady's companion or any kind of Georgian heroine: running around barefoot in a duke's park, talking as calmly as you please to said duke while holding her skirt above her thighs in an era where letting a man see anything above your ankle was scandalous at least, Artemis goes on doing what she likes and damn the consequences or restricti...more
Shawna
Oct 19, 2013 Shawna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: historical-romance, historical-romance-georgian, elizabeth-hoyt-julia-harper, series-maiden-lane, favorite-romance-series, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-duke-heir-to-dukedom, heroine-destitute-poor, heroine-companion, heroine-commoner-lower-class, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-darcy-paragon-haughty-staid, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hh-servant-serving-working-class, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hh-across-the-tracks, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, gothic-romance, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, kindle, 2013-reads, 4-stars, action-packed, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, animals-matter, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha, hero-brooding, hero-marriage-wife-hunting, hero-titled-wealthy-lord, heroine-bad-reputation-fallen, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-country-lass, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-good-girl-tempted-gone-wild, heroine-hoyden, heroine-i-adore, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-mistress, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-plain-jane-ugly-duckling, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-warrior, i-read-kindle, love-triangle-vying-courtships, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, steam-3-hot, star-crossed-lovers, villain-uber-bad-nasty, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-bedroom-bad-boy, fairytaleesque-bb-cinderella-theme
4 stars – Historical Romance

I’ve loved all the Maiden Lane books, but this was my least favorite of the series. Something about the romance between Maximus and Artemis fell a bit flat for me, but I enjoyed other aspects of the story. Although it’s not my favorite, Ms. Hoyt still delivered another thrilling, addictive, steamy read. I soooo hope she gives us Apollo’s story! *Begs and rubs greedy hands*
Alyssa
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Duke of Midnight by Elizabeth Hoyt
Book Six of the Maiden Lane series
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication: October 15, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent from the publisher

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

WHEN A MASKED MAN . . .

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

This time, Maximus Batten, brother of Hero, is the man who roams the night, looking for the murderer of his parents. One night, he stumbles upon Artemis Greaves, a companion to Penelope. At this meeting his loses possession of his father’s ring, an aristocratic one that could very well reveal his identity if Artemis is smart enough. When he tries to get it back, he finds that the lady’s companion isn’t as plain as she pretends to be. In fact, Artemis is quite the fiery maiden.

DUKE OF MIDNIGHT i...more
Liv
There are ordinary novels, extraordinary ones, superb ones, and then there are “Elizabeth Hoyt novels,” which stand in a category of their very own. Hoyt creates a world where pain is explored in equal measure as the power of love to cure and mend all brokenness, as in the Duke of Midnight.

The release of this book was much anticipated...I've been waiting for it for months! After devouring this book in 1 day, I have to say that it was worth the wait as it left me breathless.

I started this book w...more
Lisa
Wonderful! Can't wait for the next one!
Janet
I wrote about Duke of Midnight at Heroes and Heartbreakers 10-10-13

“Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.” —Janis Joplin

Artemis Greaves has very few freedoms left to her. She is a companion whose position may or may not exist after her employer marries. Her brother is wrongly imprisoned in Bedlam for the murder of three men. With no private resources, her future seems entirely bleak. What Artemis does have is the freedom to observe, reflect...more
Julianna
Nov 13, 2013 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
************************Spoiler Alert************************
Review contain spoilers for the Maiden Lane series.

"4.5 stars" Elizabeth Hoyt never ceases to amaze me with her beautiful romantic tales, and Duke of Midnight is no exception. I didn't find the first half or so of the book to be quite as engaging as the last three in the Maiden Lane series, which is the main reason I knocked of the half star, but it was still a great story. The characters were likable, and I alw...more
Mada
OMG. Look at that cover. Just gorgeous.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm so excited. I loved Artemis and her brother in Lord of Darkness. He tried to be strong for her even if he went through hell in Bedlam.
Can't wait for Duke of Midnight. I need this book sooner.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anna
I would give ANYTHING for an ARC of this book! I cannot wait!

Update 11/20/2013:
AMAZING, UHHH FRICKIN AZING. Was sure worth the wait! :)
Max & Art, revenge, and the silly chit Penelope.
Mei
I loved, loved the first books of this series, and I must admit that I like every one, but the first were the best!

In this one my main complaint is that Maximus is way too convinced that he has the right to keep Artemis without comitting to her completly. I didn't like him. He was obviously in love with her, but I felt like he was more in love with his title obligations. I felt that he didn't grovel enough at the end!

On the other hand I loved Artemis and her strenght. She realizes soon in the st...more
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
I devoured this book in one day and that tells me something about the writing ability of the author... I love the Maiden Lane series.

We'd been introduced to both characters in previous books, Maximus the stuffy and arrogant Duke of Wakefield and Artemis Greaves the impoverished relation forced to be a companion for her vacuous cousin Penelope while secretly attending to her brother in the notorious Bedlam. When Artemis and Penelope are rescued by the infamous Ghost of St Giles and then spend tim...more
mer
3 stars

Setting:
London, England., 1740.

What changed? In case you didn't notice, I've had an on-and-off relationship with this book since its released. It was in DNF box for half of the year! However, I decided to un-DNF it and picked it and promised myself I would read and finish it no matter what and guess what, I did! *pat meself*

The main characters. Both main characters didn't give a good impression at the beginning and I happened to feel detached with both of them. Hence, the mighty reason w...more
Cristina
Oh dear, what happened? Considering the previous 5 books were extremely enjoyable, this should have continued (especially because of Wakefield!) But “The Duke” is not very likeable. And oddly enough, he's more likeable at the beginning of the book than the end.
The characters were unbelievable, the plot predictable, the pace sluggish and the dialogue filled with awful metaphors and similes.

The tension between the hero and heroine saved the story in the middle. Yet by the time we got to the last...more
Ofe Jimenez
my prediction for the storyline: batman (as some of you have commented) with a pride & prejudice love story (remember Maximus' comment about Artmis in No. 5 LOD?)
Lover of Romance
Maximus has been a orphan most of his life, now he is the Duke of Wakfield, and even though he keeps busy during the day with all the responsibilities that come with the title, at night he becomes disguised as the Ghost of St Giles. One evening while searching for the man that murdered his parents, he rescues Artemis and her cousin, who fights him at every turn, and appeals to the male part of him that only wishes to claim her for his own, instead of giving into his obligations that come from be...more
Mandi Schreiner
The Duke of Wakefield or Max is a dark and broody guy. Years ago he witnessed the murders of his parents on the streets of St. Giles and he blames himself. He has guilt and shame and now as an adult, he has taken to the streets at night as one of the Ghosts of St. Giles. A vigilante who rids St. Giles of the bad guys. He wears a mask and a cape and is a superhero of sorts.

One night while out as the ghost he sees Penelope, who is a lady of the ton, and her companion Artemis. He saves them from d...more
Kaye
3.75 stars (book)
4 stars (narrator)

Claudia Harris is a better narrator than the one who read the previous book, but she's no Ashford McNabb.

I liked this book . . . and I didn't like this book. I loved both of the main characters, Maximus and Artemis, and, while, in the beginning of the book (and in the previous book) I could sense chemistry and romantic tension between them, it very quickly dissipated and became a story about two people who shouldn't have been together.

Or maybe they should---but...more
Nefise
It was a good story, as a matter fo fact Ms Hoyt is a good writer. When it comes to good writers, the important part for me is the story and its progress.

So I have some minor disappointments about this story. Neither I liked hero and heroine, nor didn't like. Just I couldn't feel their emotions that fit to my expectations. Most of times, I like to feel that sparks between the hero and heroine. The parts of their feelings towards each other be developed very quickly so it was lack of convincing....more
Is this the end of the series? (spoilers) 6 50 Dec 30, 2013 08:13PM
When will she begin taunting us on her website? 1 41 Apr 03, 2013 08:15AM
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • The Wicked Deeds of Daniel Mackenzie (Highland Pleasures, #6)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • The Countess Conspiracy (Brothers Sinister, #3)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • Lord of Wicked Intentions (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #3)
  • What the Duke Desires  (The Duke's Men, #1)
  • Three Weeks With Lady X (Desperate Duchesses, #7)
  • The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
  • When the Marquess Met His Match (An American Heiress in London, #1)
  • A Woman Entangled (Blackshear Family, #3)
  • When She Said I Do (Worthington, #1)
  • Song For Sophia (Rougemont, #1)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in central Illinois with three untrained dogs, two angelic but bickering children, and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3) Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3) Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)

“But…” Both men looked over inquiringly when Maximus spoke. “But I never asked you to help me with Noakes.”

Makepeace nodded, his expression grave. “You didn’t have to.”

“You never had to,” St. John concurred.”
4 likes
“When you’ve tired of me,” she said softly, precisely, “Apollo will still be my brother. Will still be there for me.”

“I’ll never tire of you,” he said, knowing with every thread of his soul that he spoke the absolute truth.

“Then prove it.”

He knew what she asked with such an open and vulnerable face. Something within him shriveled and died... he’d been on the rack too long for a penance he wasn’t sure he could ever entirely pay.

“You know…” His voice was hoarse, the croaking of a dying man. He licked his lips. “You know why I cannot.”
3 likes