Start by marking “Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity” as Want to Read:
Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity

Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Promote and Sell Your Work!You've written a book, but if it doesn't sell, what's the point? In "Sell Your Book Like Wildfire," marketing expert Rob Eagar explains how to use the best promotional methods available to get your book noticed and drive sales. You'll learn how to:

- Increase your book sales by driving readers to bookstores and online retailers
- Build a brand that
Published June 7th 2012 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sell Your Book Like Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell Your Book Like Wildfire

Anne
Feb 21, 2014 Anne rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found only about 1% of the information in this book useful. And he really lost me on page 50 when he writes "Unless you're a world-class writer who can capture readers with your prose, you must get comfortable marketing your message." I found myself shaking my head, saying, "Wait...what??" It made the rest of the book seem like tips to sell garbage because why bother learning craft, writing good prose, when you have all these marketing tools up your sleeve! Also...most of the information in he ...more
Duane Gundrum
May 23, 2013 Duane Gundrum rated it liked it
This book is a great marketing book if you're interested in writing nonfiction. If you're interested in writing fiction, then the book plays a shell game with you, trying to convince you it is relevant, but in reality is far from it.

The author expends a great deal of time trying to sell the idea that you need to find a need of your reader, and that once you do you have them in a place that will allow you to sell more books. Like I said, this is great for nonfiction where you're actually deliveri
Alain Burrese
Dec 27, 2012 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it
“Sell You Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide To Marketing & Publicity” by Rob Eagar is a good book for any writer to use to help with marketing and promotional efforts. After all, writing the book is only part of the battle, selling it can often be more difficult than writing it in the first place. Eagar, the founder of WildFire Marketing, a consulting practice that helps authors and publishers sell more books and spread their message, has put the information he's used to help himself an ...more
Tom Franklin
Jul 31, 2012 Tom Franklin rated it liked it
Rob Eager's book is another "How to Sell Your Book" book, filled with advice and tips. Like most books I've read in this genre, while Eager says his tips are for both non-fiction and fiction authors, most of this advice is squarely for non-fiction writers. And, previously published non-fiction writers at that.

(That Eager chooses to end his book on a chapter devoted to fiction writers only seems to prove my point. That chapter is a combination of rehashing his points throughout the book for ficti
Doug Dillon
Aug 11, 2012 Doug Dillon rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I’ve read on book marketing. Rob Edgar, who also serves as a consultant in this field, has really put together an up-to-date and very practical guide as a resource for writers. If you are out there selling your books, I highly recommend you buy, beg, or borrow a copy of this one.

The organization of Sell Your Book Like Wildfire is excellent and leads you carefully step-by-step in creating a great marketing plan. Rob’s writing is clear and liberally sprinkled very hel
Leanne Shirtliffe
Dec 09, 2013 Leanne Shirtliffe rated it really liked it
The *best* book on marketing your book that I've ever read (and I've read a few). This is a must-have for every writer of non-fiction (and I suspect for many fiction writers too). If you're in the proposal stage, it will help make your book concept that much clearer. If you're in the selling stage, it will help you get more speaking gigs, more interviews, and sell more books.
Marsha Hinton
Since I don't know a thing about selling/marketing and am not comfortable with the conventional methods, I found Selling Your Book like Wildfire to be very good advice. The stuff that I have implemented seems to be working and it is a much more comfortable approach for me.
Nirrvana
Oct 25, 2015 Nirrvana rated it really liked it
This book was a used as a text in my New Media class for my degree in Creative Writing. While it is starts from a place much further along than I am currently as a writer, I have no doubt that it will be useful when I begin to pursue publication.

It also contains important information those of us who are just starting. There were things I never thought to incorporate, at this early stage, into my my thoughts as I work on my manuscript and I'm thankful I now know better.

Whether you are a novice wr
Jim Rossi
Apr 19, 2015 Jim Rossi rated it it was ok
I found this book kind of trite and geared toward novelists and sometimes-scammy self-help kinds of writers. As a professional writer of serious nonfiction who's written for national and international publications, I felt like it was mostly talking past me. I really liked "Guerrilla Marketing for Writers" and Kawasaki's "Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur" much more. Campbell-Scott's "Goodreads for Authors" is also news-you-can-use, and have become great resources for my own first book, "The Case o ...more
David Kirby
Feb 04, 2014 David Kirby rated it it was amazing
I have just finished the book “Sell your Book like Wildfire” by Rob Eagar. It was everything I hoped it would be. Well written, concise and inspirational. The book was constructed in such a way that I was able to decant items to work with immediately as well as future strategies to plan for.

Now that I have read it once, I will work through it again taking further notes. I wholeheartedly recommend this work and I am sure like me you will not regret the time invested implementing the myriad of ide
Angela Blount
Sep 03, 2013 Angela Blount rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
Something like a 3 1/2 star... I rounded up because it's all well explained and not a slog to read.

I think this is probably a great introduction to book marketing for those who initially know next to nothing about the process. Personally, I felt a lot of the basic info was a repeat of things I'd already gleaned from countless online articles and workshops I've taken in over the last two years. My greatest complaint would actually be that it seems so geared toward writers of non-fiction--though
Mark
Dec 01, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after seeing Rob at a writer's conference almost a year ago. I didn't start reading it until just recently (because I do have this habit of buying more books than I can ever consume), but quite enjoyed the approach he took in the book -- it brought me back to the way he had inspired me in his talk; and that's a fundamental strategy he comes back to throughout this book, reminding me of the core reasons WHY I felt inspired as a writer and inspired to buy the book from him when ...more
Michael Price
Nov 14, 2013 Michael Price rated it it was amazing
I'm a new author that just released my first book 3 months ago, I found myself at the brink of hopelessness. Just last weekend, I was on the verge of giving up after investing an entire year writing and publishing my 1st book. This all changed when I read this book. I just finished it after reading it in 3 days. It is fantastic! It's such a breath of fresh air finding a How-To non-fiction book from an author who isn't spitting out theory, but instead is providing real answers to real problems th ...more
Mark Speed
May 11, 2014 Mark Speed rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I really took a liking to the author - he came across as a real human being.

This is a valuable guide to marketing your book; fiction or non-fiction. Just a word of warning if you're a novelist: it's a great deal harder to market fiction than it is non-fiction, so don't expect any magic answers or shortcuts.
Jeff Stanger
Aug 05, 2014 Jeff Stanger rated it really liked it
You will find some good ideas in here along with some tips that should be pretty obvious. You will probably skip some sections if you have experience in those areas, but overall a good resource.
Annalisa
Jul 02, 2014 Annalisa rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Huge amount of useful information. Geared toward non-fiction, but I still found it extremely helpful for fiction/romance writing. Will definitely keep it as a reference.
Jane
Mar 15, 2014 Jane rated it it was ok
Provides some great ideas for selling and promoting your nonfiction book, with a final chapter on selling fiction that did not give me any new or inspiring ideas.
Sharon Orlopp
Jul 18, 2015 Sharon Orlopp rated it it was amazing
Chock full of fantastic, practical, proven strategies! I refer to it often and use his website link and articles for additional resources.
Anthony
Feb 18, 2015 Anthony rated it liked it
Just ok. Some good tips, and quite a few chapters that you just speed read as quickly as possible looking for something interesting.
Ken Poirier
Feb 13, 2015 Ken Poirier rated it it was ok
this book is really only for nonfiction publications and not very helpful otherwise
Ann Addley
Jul 31, 2014 Ann Addley rated it really liked it
I like the metaphor. Good advice on book marketing.
Jurgen Appelo
Mar 06, 2014 Jurgen Appelo rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-marketing
Very good. It was the 10th book I read on this topic, and still I made lots of notes.
David DeVowe
Dec 06, 2015 David DeVowe rated it it was amazing
Very insightful, packed with perspective of just who an author's kindling is. This nonfiction work gets 5 stars because I needed a pen in one hand and a sheet of paper to record 'to-do' ideas from nearly every page.
Michael Powell
Jan 22, 2016 Michael Powell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I've read many books on an author connecting to his reader, and this is probably the best. Rob Eagar has a servant's heart and sees writing as a means of making the world a better place. He instructs authors on how to reach more people so they can shape the world for the better themselves.

His techniques and strategies are easy to understand, logically laid out, and best of all, come with data that shows the scope of success one might expect when applying them.

Great read!
Erica Mbasan
Jun 22, 2015 Erica Mbasan rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource. I wish I had time to implement every strategy mentioned, but I'm not a full-time author. Regardless though, the information and advice is invaluable and I definitely learned so much. I was able to make changes on my website mainly and I have good ideas incase I write another book. I would highly recommend this book to any new or unrecognized author, whether they are self published or went with traditional publishing.
S.C. Barrus
Mar 11, 2013 S.C. Barrus rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book on marketing for authors and one I'll come back and read again in a year or two. Even thought I'm not quite at the point in may career where a lot of this information applies, I still found actionable steps I can take to market myself, as well as found a few things that I'm probably doing wrong. When my novel is finally released later this year, I'll be well positioned to tackle some of the more advanced marketing tactics.
Tabitha Tomala
Feb 26, 2015 Tabitha Tomala rated it liked it
This really is a wonderful book for writers. It has so much information on breaking into the market and making yourself known. It is, however, very much based around nonfiction books. Granted there is a chapter about selling fiction, but predominantly the tactics in the book could not help me personally. I still recommend it as a must read as it helped me build my website and supporting channels.
Meghan Pinson
Nov 14, 2014 Meghan Pinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publishing
I met Rob Eager at the Writers Digest Conference in Hollywood a few months ago and was blown away by his presentation on making a great author website. His advice and examples were excellent and easy to follow, and I bought his book the next day. It's the single best resource I've found so far on how to establish and expand your author platform, and I highly recommend it for writers planning to publish.
Amy Young
For anyone who is interested in publishing books and earning a bit of money by doing so .... this is a must read. Of all the books I've read on writing (quite a few in the last two years), this is the one I now most recommend. One area I hadn't seen addressed in others books is how to write value statements that will help promote your book. So glad I bought this!
Sundi
Dec 17, 2012 Sundi rated it it was amazing
One of the BEST books you'll ever read on learning how to market and sell your book. Full of so much helpful information I don't even know where to start. Some of his principles I've already applied, and others I can't wait to get started on. This book is worth every penny and is a MUST for anyone wanting to invest in their writing career.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Book Proposals That Sell: 21 Secrets to Speed Your Success
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • The First 50 Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Up Your Novel for Success
  • Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Blueprint Your Bestseller: Organize and Revise Any Manuscript with the Book Architecture Method
  • The Portable MFA in Creative Writing
  • Mugging the Muse
  • We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media
  • Writer with a Day Job: Inspiration & Exercises to Help You Craft a Writing Life Alongside Your Career
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book