Start by marking “Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity” as Want to Read:
Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity

Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Promote and Sell Your Work!You've written a book, but if it doesn't sell, what's the point? In "Sell Your Book Like Wildfire," marketing expert Rob Eagar explains how to use the best promotional methods available to get your book noticed and drive sales. You'll learn how to:

Increase your book sales by driving readers to bookstores and online retailers
Build a brand that mak
Published June 7th 2012 by Writer's Digest Books (first published May 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sell Your Book Like Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell Your Book Like Wildfire

Alain Burrese
“Sell You Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide To Marketing & Publicity” by Rob Eagar is a good book for any writer to use to help with marketing and promotional efforts. After all, writing the book is only part of the battle, selling it can often be more difficult than writing it in the first place. Eagar, the founder of WildFire Marketing, a consulting practice that helps authors and publishers sell more books and spread their message, has put the information he's used to help himself an ...more
Tom Franklin
Rob Eager's book is another "How to Sell Your Book" book, filled with advice and tips. Like most books I've read in this genre, while Eager says his tips are for both non-fiction and fiction authors, most of this advice is squarely for non-fiction writers. And, previously published non-fiction writers at that.

(That Eager chooses to end his book on a chapter devoted to fiction writers only seems to prove my point. That chapter is a combination of rehashing his points throughout the book for ficti
Doug Dillon
This is one of the best books I’ve read on book marketing. Rob Edgar, who also serves as a consultant in this field, has really put together an up-to-date and very practical guide as a resource for writers. If you are out there selling your books, I highly recommend you buy, beg, or borrow a copy of this one.

The organization of Sell Your Book Like Wildfire is excellent and leads you carefully step-by-step in creating a great marketing plan. Rob’s writing is clear and liberally sprinkled very hel
Leanne Shirtliffe
The *best* book on marketing your book that I've ever read (and I've read a few). This is a must-have for every writer of non-fiction (and I suspect for many fiction writers too). If you're in the proposal stage, it will help make your book concept that much clearer. If you're in the selling stage, it will help you get more speaking gigs, more interviews, and sell more books.
Marsha Hinton
Since I don't know a thing about selling/marketing and am not comfortable with the conventional methods, I found Selling Your Book like Wildfire to be very good advice. The stuff that I have implemented seems to be working and it is a much more comfortable approach for me.
Anne
I found only about 1% of the information in this book useful. And he really lost me on page 50 when he writes "Unless you're a world-class writer who can capture readers with your prose, you must get comfortable marketing your message." I found myself shaking my head, saying, "Wait...what??" It made the rest of the book seem like tips to sell garbage because why bother learning craft, writing good prose, when you have all these marketing tools up your sleeve! Also...most of the information in he ...more
Jim Rossi
I found this book kind of trite and geared toward novelists and sometimes-scammy self-help kinds of writers. As a professional writer of serious nonfiction who's written for national and international publications, I felt like it was mostly talking past me. I really liked "Guerrilla Marketing for Writers" and Kawasaki's "Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur" much more. Campbell-Scott's "Goodreads for Authors" is also news-you-can-use, and have become great resources for my own first book, "The Case o ...more
David Kirby
I have just finished the book “Sell your Book like Wildfire” by Rob Eagar. It was everything I hoped it would be. Well written, concise and inspirational. The book was constructed in such a way that I was able to decant items to work with immediately as well as future strategies to plan for.

Now that I have read it once, I will work through it again taking further notes. I wholeheartedly recommend this work and I am sure like me you will not regret the time invested implementing the myriad of ide
Duane Gundrum
This book is a great marketing book if you're interested in writing nonfiction. If you're interested in writing fiction, then the book plays a shell game with you, trying to convince you it is relevant, but in reality is far from it.

The author expends a great deal of time trying to sell the idea that you need to find a need of your reader, and that once you do you have them in a place that will allow you to sell more books. Like I said, this is great for nonfiction where you're actually deliveri
Angela Blount
Something like a 3 1/2 star... I rounded up because it's all well explained and not a slog to read.

I think this is probably a great introduction to book marketing for those who initially know next to nothing about the process. Personally, I felt a lot of the basic info was a repeat of things I'd already gleaned from countless online articles and workshops I've taken in over the last two years. My greatest complaint would actually be that it seems so geared toward writers of non-fiction--though
Mark
I bought this book after seeing Rob at a writer's conference almost a year ago. I didn't start reading it until just recently (because I do have this habit of buying more books than I can ever consume), but quite enjoyed the approach he took in the book -- it brought me back to the way he had inspired me in his talk; and that's a fundamental strategy he comes back to throughout this book, reminding me of the core reasons WHY I felt inspired as a writer and inspired to buy the book from him when ...more
Michael Price
I'm a new author that just released my first book 3 months ago, I found myself at the brink of hopelessness. Just last weekend, I was on the verge of giving up after investing an entire year writing and publishing my 1st book. This all changed when I read this book. I just finished it after reading it in 3 days. It is fantastic! It's such a breath of fresh air finding a How-To non-fiction book from an author who isn't spitting out theory, but instead is providing real answers to real problems th ...more
Mark Speed
I really took a liking to the author - he came across as a real human being.

This is a valuable guide to marketing your book; fiction or non-fiction. Just a word of warning if you're a novelist: it's a great deal harder to market fiction than it is non-fiction, so don't expect any magic answers or shortcuts.
Jeff Stanger
You will find some good ideas in here along with some tips that should be pretty obvious. You will probably skip some sections if you have experience in those areas, but overall a good resource.
Annalisa
Excellent book! Huge amount of useful information. Geared toward non-fiction, but I still found it extremely helpful for fiction/romance writing. Will definitely keep it as a reference.
Jane
Provides some great ideas for selling and promoting your nonfiction book, with a final chapter on selling fiction that did not give me any new or inspiring ideas.
Anthony
Just ok. Some good tips, and quite a few chapters that you just speed read as quickly as possible looking for something interesting.
Ken Poirier
this book is really only for nonfiction publications and not very helpful otherwise
Ann Addley
I like the metaphor. Good advice on book marketing.
Jurgen Appelo
Very good. It was the 10th book I read on this topic, and still I made lots of notes.
Erica Fye
This book is an excellent resource. I wish I had time to implement every strategy mentioned, but I'm not a full-time author. Regardless though, the information and advice is invaluable and I definitely learned so much. I was able to make changes on my website mainly and I have good ideas incase I write another book. I would highly recommend this book to any new or unrecognized author, whether they are self published or went with traditional publishing.
S.C. Barrus
This was a fantastic book on marketing for authors and one I'll come back and read again in a year or two. Even thought I'm not quite at the point in may career where a lot of this information applies, I still found actionable steps I can take to market myself, as well as found a few things that I'm probably doing wrong. When my novel is finally released later this year, I'll be well positioned to tackle some of the more advanced marketing tactics.
Tabitha Tomala
This really is a wonderful book for writers. It has so much information on breaking into the market and making yourself known. It is, however, very much based around nonfiction books. Granted there is a chapter about selling fiction, but predominantly the tactics in the book could not help me personally. I still recommend it as a must read as it helped me build my website and supporting channels.
Meghan Pinson
I met Rob Eager at the Writers Digest Conference in Hollywood a few months ago and was blown away by his presentation on making a great author website. His advice and examples were excellent and easy to follow, and I bought his book the next day. It's the single best resource I've found so far on how to establish and expand your author platform, and I highly recommend it for writers planning to publish.
Sundi
One of the BEST books you'll ever read on learning how to market and sell your book. Full of so much helpful information I don't even know where to start. Some of his principles I've already applied, and others I can't wait to get started on. This book is worth every penny and is a MUST for anyone wanting to invest in their writing career.
Perky Texan
Great book packed with tons of helpful info. It is definitely more helpful for non-fiction than fiction books. I'm already putting several of the concepts into practice, and have completely marked it up and dog-earned many pages - tons of ideas to digest. We'll see when my book comes out in November - the proof will be in the pudding . . .
Gary Westfal
A lot of the marketing strategies I use to showcase my books and speeches I learned from this book. I'm really happy I ran across this book to help me understand the many facets of marketing and really neat tips and tricks I've used to help promote myself. Highly recommended to anyone selling anything, especially books!
Michael Stringer
This is a very useful book with some great ideas, but I found it far more geared toward non-fiction authors. It's still worth a read even if you're a novelist, however. The author takes a different, fresh approach to marketing and promotion that will definitely ignite some fires in your mind. Well done.
Keith
One of several books I've read or referred to on this topic. Like this one quite a bit. It is direct and not overwhelming. Some very good suggestions (one of my favorites is to build marketing tools into your manuscript - brilliant). I do agree that this book is more suited to non-fiction.
Carrie Daws
Very good! Rob Eager breaks the whole process of marketing down into steps, and then breaks those steps into steps. He makes it easy to understand and gives several real life examples to help you get your brain thinking on personalizing his suggestions for your own platform.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level
  • Mugging the Muse
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • Creating Unforgettable Characters
  • The First Five Pages: A Writer's Guide To Staying Out of the Rejection Pile
  • Your Life as Story
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)