Start by marking “What To Do When Someone You Love Is Depressed: A Practical, Compassionate, and Helpful Guide for Caregivers” as Want to Read:

This book is directed toward the caregiver or "strengthened ally" of any of the more than seventeen million Americans who suffer from this common but often misunderstood affliction. Woven throughout are the personal experiences of Mitch Golant, who spent most of his childhood with a mother who was seriously depressed, an experience that not only catapulted him into his wor
Published March 15th 1998 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What To Do When Someone You Love Is Depressed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What To Do When Someone You Love Is Depressed

Lisa
Sep 06, 2007 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology-other
I bought this book for my parents to help them understand my depression and gather some better methods for supporting me. It is really helpful, as it is very informational about all facets of the disorder: what a depressed person experiences, different types of depression, medication, etc. But it's also relatively informal which is important when someone who's reading it doesn't know a lot about the disorder.

One really important important thing about this book is that it gives insight into what
Amanda Sieben
Feb 06, 2016 Amanda Sieben rated it really liked it
Very thorough in all aspects of treatment and solutions. Not so much new information compared to what I've read previously but a good review and helpful to refocus, which I feel would be beneficial during a harder time.
Rachel Coyne
Feb 24, 2014 Rachel Coyne rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
3.5/5

What To Do When Someone You Love Is Depressed by Mitch Golant is a very practical guide to understanding depression and gives the caregiver insight into the mind of someone suffering from a mood disorder. I found the book to offer up some excellent advice, it is not one I plan to buy, but I am definitely glad I read it and would suggest What To DO When Someone You Love Is Depressed to others who live with someone suffering from depression.
Tayah
Dec 13, 2007 Tayah rated it it was ok
way to basic, all what i thought would come natural to someone. But maybe not.
I prefer hardcore reading about psychology and socialwork. This is definitily a beginers book, but it is a good one.
Nancy
Jun 14, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Not sure how to rate an informative book- it was interesting and a wealth of information was gleaned from it.
Cynthia
Jul 04, 2013 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I found this book most simple and helpful. Clear examples of what to do and say.
Jennifer Piwnicki
Jennifer Piwnicki marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Chan Zelig
Chan Zelig marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
No Spoko
No Spoko marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Julia_Cheshire
Julia_Cheshire is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Angelina
Angelina marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Mikey Harris
Mikey Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Mboni Maumba
Mboni Maumba marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Cheyenne Montgomery
Cheyenne Montgomery marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
LaRue Cook
LaRue Cook marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Mike N
Mike N rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Catherine
Catherine is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2016
David Jardine
David Jardine marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Laura Rajaa
Laura Rajaa rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Jenna
Jenna added it
May 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Mitch Golant, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist with a private practice and the vice president of research and development for the Wellness Community-National.

Dr. Golant is widely recognized as a pioneer in the use of information technology in cancer education and support through the delivery of online support groups. He served for 4 years on the Board of Directors for the American Psychosocial On
More about Mitch Golant...