Start by marking “Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology” as Want to Read:
Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology

Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology

Presenting the posthuman future in its wildest science-fictional imaginings and intriguing speculations, this far-reaching anthology of fiction and nonfiction traces the path of the Singularity, an era when advances in technology totally transform human reality. The featured stories and essays travel from the alien far-future of H. G. Wells and the almost-human, near futur ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Tachyon Publications

To ask other readers questions about Digital Rapture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digital Rapture

Frederick Gault
Dec 18, 2013 Frederick Gault rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
A series of short stores about the mythical "singularity" where either humans will use technology to attain nirvana, or we will be enslaved or eliminated by superior technical life-forms. Meh. Some of the stories were excellent but some IMHO didn't really address the topic.
Ondrej Urban
Apr 22, 2014 Ondrej Urban rated it liked it
Shelves: conjunct-collage
It's been some time since I read Rewired and loved it, and thus it filled me with great enthusiasm to pick up this book. Now, speaking from the other side after having finished it, I can honestly say it doesn't match up. Why?

First of all, it's a mater of personal taste, which I'm not sure how much belongs into a review. If there was a brilliantly told unicorn story that I wrote off based on my disliking unicorns or whatever, that would not be fair. So, to get this out of the way, I prefer storie
Jan 25, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Great premise, stories and essays about the singularity, with a star-studded list of writers. It's well-organized too, by types of possible singularities and somewhat chronologically--the last story is "The Inevitable Heat Death of the Universe." I found it enjoyable, though not quite as much as I'd hoped. Everything except the introduction had been previously published, so I'd read more than a few stories already.

The book started with some older pieces, one each from the 1920s, 1930s, 1950s, a
Joshua R Derke
Feb 10, 2016 Joshua R Derke rated it it was amazing
This anthology explores leading voices on the singularity, including Vernor Vinge's essay and many science fiction pieces devoted to exploring the consequences of a post-human world. Most of the stories are great, and they challenge your notions about the future of humanity.

While I think the collection deserves 5 stars, there is a story and an essay that I feel traveled too far to the fringes of pseudo-science to have much merit, and therefore detracted from the rest of the book.
Taylor Preston
Sep 24, 2013 Taylor Preston rated it it was amazing
Kelly and Kessel have put together another great anthology, following up on Feeling Very Strange, which brings together today's top writers working in the slipstream genre. Digital Rapture: The Singularity Anthology collects stories from classic SF writers such as Asimov, Sterling, Pohl, and Vinge, alongside more modern writers like Rajaniemi, Doctorow, Bear, and Stross, providing a broad spectrum of views on the Singularity. Personal favorites in the anthology include "The Last Question" by Isa ...more
John Orman
Mar 09, 2013 John Orman rated it it was amazing
Stories and essays by many writers, including Ray Kurzweil, Isaac Asimov ("The Last Question"), Bruce Sterling, Cory Doctorow, and all the way back to Olaf Stapledon.

Twenty years ago, Vernor Vinge wrote that "within 30 years, we will have the technological means to create superhuman intelligence. Shortly after, the human era will end." That is a prediction of the time frame for the "singularity."

This book features mainly fictional revelations of the singularity, with a few non-fictional essays o
Grace Troxel
Sep 02, 2012 Grace Troxel rated it it was amazing
For my full review, see here:

Overall, I enjoyed this “Digital Rapture” tremendously. It was the kind of anthology that could entertain, but at the same time made me think and ponder the possibilities that the future could hold. I recommend it.
May 17, 2013 Doktorarbitrary rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed the majority of the stories within this compilation, I found that by the time I had read them all, and despite the fact the stories were quite varied, they all became somewhat "same-ish".
The essays however I found quite fascinating, and they have prompted me to do further research into the science behind the genre.
Sep 17, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it

I found this a thought-provoking series of stories dealing with the implications of the Singularity. I would recommend it to anyone interested in this sub-genre of SF
Apr 17, 2013 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was one crazy, but mind-opening book. It was interesting to read so many different takes on "the singularity" written by people with great intelligence and imaginations.
Matt Comstock
Dec 27, 2013 Matt Comstock rated it it was ok
Shelves: quit-reading
To much singularity at once. I read this alongside Rapture of the Nerds. I had to take a break from stories featuring anthropomorphic routers.
Gwen Perkins
Sep 24, 2012 Gwen Perkins rated it it was amazing
Janito Vaqueiro Ferreira Filho
Nov 28, 2014 Janito Vaqueiro Ferreira Filho rated it really liked it
Some excellent stories are presented in this book.
Obaid rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
cadaver marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Pål Martin Lai
Pål Martin Lai marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Sharon marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Glenn marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Julie Sandel
Julie Sandel rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2016
Bharadwaj Narasimhan
Bharadwaj Narasimhan marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Cyndy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
xd marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Ashley marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Yossarian2294 marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Elena marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Proletarian marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Ben marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jay marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Christina marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Singularity Rising: Surviving and Thriving in a Smarter, Richer, and More Dangerous World
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
  • Robot Futures
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Seeds of Change
  • Herr aller Dinge
  • Americana: The Kinks, the Riff, the Road: The Story
  • Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2011 (Nebula Awards, #12)
  • Up from Eden: A Transpersonal View of Human Evolution
  • Acts of Meaning
  • Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction
  • The Future of Human Nature
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Adult Learner, Sixth Edition: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development
  • It Came from the North: An Anthology of Finnish Speculative Fiction
  • Future Science: Essays from the Cutting Edge
James Patrick Kelly (please, call him Jim) has had an eclectic writing career. He has written novels, short stories, essays, reviews, poetry, plays and planetarium shows. His short novel Burn won the Science Fiction Writers of America's Nebula Award in 2007. He has won the World Science Fiction Society’s Hugo Award twice: in 1996, for his novelette “Think Like A Dinosaur” and in 2000, for his nove ...more
More about James Patrick Kelly...