Start by marking “Gallows Pole” as Want to Read:
Gallows Pole

Gallows Pole

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Someone is killing entire families, forcing fathers to hang their wives and children before taking their own lives. How does the killer do it? And what is the meaning of the small iron horse the killer leaves at every murder scene? FBI agent Melissa Saxon and her handpicked team are racing against time to solve the mystery before more families die.

Former anti-terrorist ope
Published November 13th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Gallows Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallows Pole

Ed
Jan 01, 2012 Ed rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of adventure thrillers
I enjoyed reading J.D. Rhoades' previous novel, GOOD DAY IN HELL, and so I wanted to check out his new ebook, GALLOWS POLE. It's an adrenaline-driven, rollicking adventure thriller, remindful of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt or Lee Child's Jack Reacher, only better written. Colonel Bishop and his Iron Horse special ops military squad use the latest warfare technology, including Lot Seventeen. Read their "A-Team" exploits to find out just what that secret stuff is, and how it works. How can you but n ...more
Judy
Feb 16, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
Okay, it's another J.D. Rhoades thriller about conspiracies, corruption, a super secret special ops unit and a powerful mind controlling drug that ends up in the wrong hands, (is that the way it always goes with powerful mind controlling drugs?).

This is no cozy mystery. The body count is high and the plot is all about the search for a serial killer who murders entire families, including the children. I've metJ.D. Rhoades and he seems like such a nice guy. Makes you wonder how he comes up with s
Robert Gregory Browne
Nov 28, 2011 Robert Gregory Browne rated it it was amazing
J.D. Rhoades's Gallows Pole gets the adrenalin pumping from the very first page. Rhoades not only gives us a tight, suspenseful plot, his prose style is economic and full of quiet confidence, and you know you're in good hands the moment you start reading.
Randy
Jan 21, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
J. D. Rhoades is a fellow North Carolinian like myself. I started following his writing early on and have never failed to enjoy his books. Mostly set in our state, his characters, both the heroes and villains resemble folks I have known or read about in local papers.

His characters are not perfect, not supermen, well mostly, but trained individuals with their own set of flaws like most of us. That they manage to overcome them speaks for a rare strength and determination that most of us wish of ou
Jim A
Jun 02, 2012 Jim A rated it really liked it
All in all not a bad thriller involving what is left of a covert operations team. Some of the members of the team are flawed. One has placed himself in a self built military style prison. He believes he is guilty of war crimes. Of course it wouldn't be a thriller if he didn't come out of self exile to get involved in chasing 'The Hangman", also one of the former team members. Hangman just happens to be running around the U.S. hanging whole families in an attempt to get Bishop (the exile) to come ...more
Jim
Oct 12, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Another explosive thriller from author J.D. Rhoades, "Gallows Pole", is a non stop hair on fire that never lets up for a breath action thriller. An U.S. elite group of soldiers molded into a team working for national security in Iraq has part of a key mission jump off the rails. This group only known as "Ironhorse" works for an unnamed government agency and reports to a bureaucracy above all of our pay grades. After the botched mission, Lt. Colonel Mark Bishop forces his remaining men to built a ...more
Loraine
Mar 23, 2012 Loraine rated it it was amazing
This is a story that grabs your attention from the start and will keep you reading well into the night. It's a fast-paced and exciting story that I couldn't put down. A great reason to buy an ereader. Download it today!
Jeri Mihm
Jul 02, 2012 Jeri Mihm rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
excellent story about a covert operation team. I really, really liked this book!
Elizabeth A.
“Making people nervous is what we do.” – Bonaparte Sims

There’s a lot for people to be nervous about in author J.D. Rhoades’ newest novel, Gallows Pole. For starters, there’s a killer striking families nationwide, leaving in his wake a scene so disturbing it rattles even seasoned law enforcement veterans.

Entire families are being hanged in a methodical fashion, the father apparently made to be the executioner for his wife and each of his children in turn before taking his own life. Yet, enough cl
Sherri Vigil
Oct 24, 2013 Sherri Vigil rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of J D Rhoades. This one is full of mounting thrill. Maybe it was just me but there were alot of players and it took a bit more effort to keep their positions in the story straight. The story is intriguing and different and I did enjoy it. The ending was a bit cheesy ( sorry) but not bad as it leads you into the next book, if I'm not mistaken. Which I'm looking forward too.
Robbie
Excellent read! The characters were likeable and very intelligent. Couldn't help but stay up half the night finishing it. So far I've rated every Rhoades book I've read with 5 stars. Looking forward to the next one. Jim read this one on 5-29-14 and rated it 4.5 stars.
Linda Look
Oct 09, 2013 Linda Look rated it really liked it
This was a very good mystery about black ops and the corruption that can occur. This team of men went through hell but supported their leader, Mark Bishop. Throw in a female FBI agent and her team and you have a group that gets their man. I rated this a 4.8.
Dan Barbier
Nov 20, 2013 Dan Barbier rated it it was amazing
I hate to repeat myself, but with J.D. Rhoades, I just have to. Another set of characters that deserves a series. There's action, humor and suspense. A very good plot and characters that just leap off the page and grabs us.
Jenni
Dec 13, 2012 Jenni rated it really liked it
Loved it and couldn't put it down. This is likely the first in a new series, and I think it will be fun to follow.
Fae Peace
Apr 15, 2015 Fae Peace rated it it was amazing
Good Read
Cathy Evans
Cathy Evans marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Marvin Hillman
Marvin Hillman marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Melvin Ingalls
Melvin Ingalls rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Mommacat
Mommacat marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kays
Kays marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
GARY
GARY rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Rioronin
Rioronin rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
D.S. Williams
D.S. Williams marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Hillary
Hillary marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Charles Bukaki
Charles Bukaki marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
J.D. Rhoades is America's foremost writer of the genre known as "Redneck noir," and his biography reads like "Tobacco Road" as written by Hunter S. Thompson.

Rhoades never knew his parents; he was found abandoned on the steps of a cut-rate Filipino tax preparation service in Slidell, La. As a child, he was bounced around between a series of orphanages, reformatories and opium dens. His first brush
More about J.D. Rhoades...

“You can pay a mercenary to fight, you can't pay him to die.” 5 likes