Start by marking “Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños” as Want to Read:
Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños

Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,369 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Here are collected many of his responses to those letters, in which he share his feelings about writing, school, animals, and of course, Narnia. With understanding and respect, proving why he remains one of the best loved children's authors of all time.
Published (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños

Now that I am in the midst of my C. S. Lewis obsession, let me say that even his letters are wonderful to read! In these days of texting, emailing and chatting, it may not seem like much to communicate with someone now - if you want to call it true communication - but this man replied to EVERY letter that was ever sent to him, every single one. So many of us can't be bothered to write a "Thank you" note for a gift, yet C. S. Lewis responded back to all his admirers, some turned into regular corr ...more
I envy these children their luck in corresponding with Lewis. The brilliant man died when my mother was only five years old, so I missed out by miles in my chance, but it was wonderful to read these collected responses. Lewis was so humble in receiving praise and encouraging to those who expressed an interest in writing. I was thoroughly impressed by his discussion of theology, how he never spoke down to any of these children, never tried to dumb things down. It also amused me that he even encou ...more
I first read this collection about fifteen years ago, and at that time I'd only read the Narnia books once and had no exposure to Lewis's other works. This reading, of course, proved a far richer experience. I think the best aspect is witnessing how Lewis expressed his fierce intellect and deep theological understanding in simple language. Case in point, what he says about being who God created you to be in the body of Christ: "A good toenail is not an unsuccessful attempt at a hair; and if it w ...more
I love this book. It’s a small collection of C.S. Lewis’ responses to letters that children wrote to him about his Narnia books. The letters are so nice … he takes the children and their news/concerns/ideas seriously and responds to them with interest and concern – as though he were responding to an adult. I’d love to get a letter like that even now!
Rebekah Choat
C.S. Lewis, in addition to being a prolific writer of scholarly works, poems, Christian apologetics, and fiction, carried on extensive correspondence. He considered it a solemn duty to personally answer each of the thousands of letters he received – and not perfunctory, generic, “Thank you for writing; I wish you well.” The responses he penned are truly personal and specific, giving detailed thanks for small gifts, carefully answering questions asked, and thoughtfully addressing whatever issues ...more
Given how young I was when I first fell in love with Narnia and began to deeply admire C.S. Lewis, it is little wonder that I thoroughly enjoyed the book “C.S. Lewis: Letters to Children.” This wonderful, beautiful compilation of letters he wrote between 1944-1963 to children, including many Americans, paints a lovely picture of a man I’ve never met, but who is, in my imagination, a dear friend. So sentimental in tone, I got a bit teary-eyed at how gentle and sweet he was to his many young fans. ...more
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

I reluctantly settled for it when, after deciding to read all of Lewis, I couldn't find many of his more well-known works at the local library. I was pleasantly surprised.

Furthermore, it was a little fortuitous that I read this before any of his great works; I feel it served as a nice introduction to the author beforehand!

What I especially loved was that it became clear to me through his letters that he was a down-to-earth person despite his success and fame. Al
Stan Shelley
What a marvelous book. Normally I have to really slow down to read CS Lewis but this one reads like a breeze...because, of course, it is letters to children. Lewis writes in a way that is accessible to them but at the same time he does not talk down to them. He is just full of Christian kindness. He answers their questions, give advice if it was requested and seems to genuinely care. The letter he wrote to the little boy who was concerned that he loved Aslan more than Jesus was priceless. And he ...more
Feb 02, 2008 Caroline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves children
I flew through this book - and when I finished C.S. Lewis became more like a grandfather to me. I have always reveled in his literary genius and theological mind. Yet, to read these letters, I saw quite clearly his passion and love for children. Why else would he painstakingly write letters encouraging and teaching those brave souls who were faithful to correspond?

I only wish I had lived at that time to receive even a nugget of wisdom or jest from this wonderful man!
A collection of letters from CS written to children from around the world. This book makes me want to meet CS Lewis even more than I ever did before. He is so frank, and so open, and so honest in his letters and he so obviously enjoys observing things from a child-like viewpoint, and intellectual discourse even with children... I wish he was still alive when I was young so I could have written to him.
Joshua Brist
What a wonderful book. I am so grateful that these editors took the massive amount of time and work that it must have taken to compile these very insightful and meaningful letters of C.S. Lewis. I now feel like I understand this man more even after reading his semi-autobiography ("Surprised by Joy.")

I learned, I laughed, and by the end I definitely cried. Five stars.
Zack Mollhagen
A lovely reminder of the gentleness and respect that Lewis had for children. This book shows that Lewis held Christ's teaching dear, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these" (Mathew 19:14).
This book had the ultimate result of making me wish I could hug the incredible man that was C. S. Lewis. A charming collection of letters to his younger fans this book shows the side of Lewis that the modern world often seems to forget. He was a warm man with a wonderful sense of wonder and a brilliant imagination. He takes the questions and remarks of the children that speak with him seriously, and never belittles them as some people are prone to do. He put an incredible amount of work into eac ...more
Very interesting. Who knew that C S Lewis disliked Cicero, read Pride and Prejudice numerous times, and agreed the Chronicles of Narnia should be read beginning with "The Magician's Nephew" and ending with "The Last Battle"? An order, by the way, I would also recommend.

I didn't read all the letters and it was very short, so I won't be counting this one for my annual book challenge.

Things that could have made it better: Letters FROM the children rather than only letters TO the children(apparentl
Margo Berendsen
I gobbled it up in almost one sitting (it's not very long)... I just love Lewis's voice. Loved all the insights into Narnia and a couple of them surprised me (Lewis's opinion of Susan! I guess I haven't read the Last Battle in a while).

Some favorite quotes:

I don't think age matters so much as people think. Parts of me are still 12 and I think other parts wre already 50 when I was 12. (regarding Pevensie children growing up in Narnia).

What matters in books is not so much the ideas as how you a
Feb 16, 2014 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Susan by: Karen
Shelves: childrens, tbr-list
What a wonderful surprise for these lucky children to find a letter from C.S. Lewis in the mail. The letters in this short selection are thoughtful, humorous, truthful, and delightful even second hand.

"I am so glad to hear that you liked the Narnian books, and it was very good of you to write and tell me that you did. Everyone is pleased, you know, to be appreciated, even elderly authors!"

"I'm afraid I've said all I had to say about Narnia, and there will be no more of these stories. But why do
I was feeling sort of down today, but a trip to Half Price Bookstore made everything all better, especially when I found this book! (Plus Letters to Malcolm and a G.K. Chesterton book! Chesterton books are ridiculously hard to find...)
I have a thing for C.S. Lewis books...yeah, I don't need them, but they're cool to own...

This book only took about an hour, but it made me feel so much happier...sort of the same feeling that I got from Letters to an American Lady, except more heartwarming. With L
Aedan Lake
An enlightening, amusing and sometimes moving series of letters sent by C. S. Lewis to his younger readers (some godchildren or children of friends, others simply young fans) from 1944 to 1963 - the last one written a day before his death. A quick read full of insights into writing and religion, and although most of the letters understandably relate to Narnia, there are fleeting references to the Science Fiction Trilogy (which I have read) and Lewis's favourite of his own books, Till We Have Fac ...more
Carsten Thomsen
I was in need of some light reading last week - and this book had been on my shelf for several years - I picked it down and started to read - and there was a smile on my face. What a delightful reading, so funny, witty and also a sting in the heart a couple of times where C. S. Lewis explains to the children that his wife is very sick and that his busy visiting her in the hospital.

Some of the children wrote back again and again and you sense the beginning of a beautiful friendship between this
I wish I could have been his pen pal. Except he told one of his correspondents not to get any more girls to write to him, unless they really needed help, because the mail was getting out of hand. And he personally hand wrote replies to nearly every letter. He wrote to everyone who wrote him, but sometimes via his brother, who said what he would have said anyway (or what he already said...there was a lot of repetition because a lot of the letters were the same--fanboys and girls of Narnia.)
Probably a 3.5 for this book. I love all things Lewis, but for a book of this type, it could have been done a lot better. It did give me a window into the mind of Lewis, but it was not as well-done as I expected it to be. I still pulled a couple really neat letters from it, though, including one to Laurence, an 8-year-old who expressed concern because he thought he loved Aslan more than Jesus.
J. Alfred
"It is fun writing stories, isn't it! Like you I used to write lots at your age."
Ranging from thanks for a god-daughter's drawing of cats in 1944, to commenting on the meter of some decade-long correspondent's poem, to a letter thanking a young man for his appreciation of the Narnia books the day before his death in 1963, this collection of Lewis's letters to children is pretty darn heartwarming.
Reading C.S. Lewis's letters to many of his young readers made me feel like I got to know "Jack" a little bit more as a person, rather than just as an apologist/literary critic/author. I especially love that when many of his young fans begged for more Narnia books after he published The Last Battle, Lewis encouraged them to write their own sequels. He also read and critiqued some of his young fan's stories, poems, and illustrations they sent him. I find this to be incredible.
R.A. Derdeyn
This is a short book, charming in its simplicity. C.S. Lewis took children seriously, meaning that he did not feel it right to "talk down to them". In this collection, we see many of his answers to children's letters to him. A large portion of them concerned the Chronicles of Narnia stories so there are some interesting tidbits about some aspects of those stories.
After reading this book, I want C.S. Lewis to be my grandpa. He comes across as adorably avuncular, witty, and just a good, sincere person.

C.S. Lewis personally responded to every letter he received, and this book is a collection of his responses to his youngest fans. Discussing a wide range of subjects from school to animals to Narnia, the letters are so sweet and charming. Most importantly, they show the respect and regard C.S. Lewis had for children. His responses are never condescending or
Miss Clark
Wonderful book, with plenty of neat details and facts, esp. about his Narnia series.

22 January 1977

Dear Martin,

The books don't tell us what happened to Susan. She is left alive in this world at the end, having by then turned into a rather silly, conceited young woman. But there is plenty of time for her to mend, and perhaps she will get to Aslan's country in the end - in her own way. I think that whatever she had seen in Narnia she could (if she was the sort that wanted to) persuade he
“Remember that there are only three kinds of things anyone need ever do. (1) Things we ought to do (2) Things we’ve got to do (3) Things we like doing. I say this because some people seem to spend much of their time doing things for none of the three reasons, things like reading books they don’t like because other people read them. Things you ought to do are things like doing one’s school work or being nice to people. Things one has got to do are things like dressing and undressing or household ...more
I'm a slow reader but read it in one day as it's difficult to put down once begun. Lewis' interest in and way with kids is amazing and probably stems from his own love of literature as a child. He apparently had some pretty sharp-minded pen pals as well. Any fan of C S Lewis would love this little book.
LOVED this book so much I pretty much neglected everyone and everything to finish it in one day. I love Lewis' sense of humor and wit and the kind but not condescending way he wrote to children (and mothers). It also offered insight into many of his books. Quick read, highly recommended.
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • Smoke on the Mountain: An Interpretation of the Ten Commandments
  • Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • Inside Narnia: A Guide to Exploring the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

“In writing. Don't use adjectives which merely tell us how you want us to feel about the thing you are describing. I mean, instead of telling us a thing was "terrible," describe it so that we'll be terrified. Don't say it was "delightful"; make us say "delightful" when we've read the description. You see, all those words (horrifying, wonderful, hideous, exquisite) are only like saying to your readers, "Please will you do my job for me."

[Letter to Joan Lancaster, 26 June 1956]”
“Never use abstract nouns when concrete ones will do. If you mean “More people died” don’t say “Mortality rose.” 29 likes