Blank-133x176
Horrible Harry and the...

Suzy Kline

Horrible Harry and the Purple People (Horrible Harry #9)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  390 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Harry has always had a vivid imagination, but now he's saying there are Purple People in the classroom that only he can see. No one believes Harry -- not even Doug -- but then strange and unexplainable things start happening in Room 2B. Is Harry playing a horrible trick, or are the Purple People real?
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Horrible Harry and the Purple People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horrible Harry and the Purple People

Amy
Dolly
Oct 07, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a fairly bizarre story, with or without the nod to Alice in Wonderland. It was a fun story to read aloud, though, and our oldest likes that Harry is in Second Grade (like her) in this story. The book encourages imagination and creativity and discourages bullying and mean behavior.

This is one of the first books we've read in the Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline and Frank Remkiewicz. We enjoyed reading this book together and I am sure we will read more of the books in this series soon....more
Dianna
Jan 25, 2010 Dianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: k-1st graders especially
Had this for Sam and Elena to read but I finished mine so I picked it up to see what it was like- I haven't read any Horrible Harrys yet and want to be sure I want my kids reading them. It took me maybe 20 minutes- probably less. I found it cute- funny, without anything I'd really worry my kids pick up on. Yes, Harry does try to dump juice on Mary, but Doug stops him- so we have a good example that wins out and everybody is happy. Great for newly independent readers!
Rebecca Smith
Suzy Kline is a very creative and imaginative author. She uses an element of fiction and incorporates reality in her chapter books. "Horrible Harry and the Purple People" is appropriate for children above the age of seven. This book is not too long, but it gives children the opportunity to imagine "purple people" and keeps them engaged. I would recommend teachers read this book to their class because it is a fun, easy read book.
Queen
Your children will learn numerous synonyms for "nonsense" as well as the idiomatic expression, "being a wet blanket." They'll learn a way to prevent conflict and get along with one another. There are fun references to Alice in Wonderland, too! It's a quick read with a hint of suspense and developing social relationships.
Rachel Inbar
I read this aloud to my kids (aged 5 & 6m took ~20 minutes) and just didn't feel there was anything special about it. I liked the fact that Miss Mackle doesn't mind a bit of nonsense, but the whole thing about the Purple People just seemed stupid. I was kind of waiting for something to happen and then nothing did.
Angela
Harry sure has a wild imagination and I believe his antics would really get newly independent readers interested. I will definitely keep this book around. Hopefully the rest of series, is as good as this one.
Shelby Troutman
Shows that imagination can be both positive and negative, in this case, Harry's imagination brought some of the children together to help Harry prove the purple people existed.
Katie
These Horrible Harry books are my 6 year old's latest craze. They aren't anything amazing, but they are a nice change from the Magic Tree House books.
Jocey
Horrible Harry and the Purple People, by Suzy Kline, is a book about a boy named Harry who sees purple people. The main character is Harry. The book takes place in a school. His main internal struggle is that he sees purple people. His main external struggle is that no one believes him.

During my time reading this book I made a text-to-self connection. Throughout the book Harry tells people he sees purple people but know one believes him. That reminded me of myself. Sometimes I would say someth...more
Angela
No one believes Harry about the Purple People. Not even Doughis best friend. The class is reading "Alice in Wonderland",and everyone thinks that Harry's Purple People are as real as the Cheshire Cat. Then a few strange things happen, and no one knows just what to think.
Twyla
Christy
Room 2B been invaded by purple people! That's what Harry is saying, but no one else believes him. Can he prove that the purple people are real?
Starr Elementary
This is an fun, easy read about a classroom dispute over imagination vs. reality and how you should treat your friends.
Emily
Not the cutest Horrible Harry book I've ever read, but my 6 year liked it.
Wanda
A good book that explores the positive side of using imagination.

Lolly
i read most of the series in second grade i kind of liked them
Alexis Lynch
Jun 15, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jear
JEAR2-Kli
Maddie Claire
Maddie Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Aug 26, 2014
Ms. Jacobs
Ms. Jacobs marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 15, 2014
Riley Barnitz
Riley Barnitz marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Bora
Bora added it
Aug 11, 2014
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan (Henry and Mudge, #19)
  • The Catnapping Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #18)
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • Amber Brown Wants Extra Credit
  • White House White-out (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #3)
  • The Case of Hermie the Missing Hamster (Jigsaw Jones Mystery #1)
Suzy Kline, nee Weaver, was an elementary school teacher for 25 years and most of her books are based on the experiences she had while teaching. Suzy and Rufus got married and had two daughters named Jennifer and Emily. Now, more than 24 years after writing her first book, Suzy has traveled all over the United States helping children learn how to enjoy reading and writing.
More about Suzy Kline...
Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #2) Horrible Harry and the Dungeon Horrible Harry and the Green Slime Horrible Harry and the Kickball Wedding Horrible Harry's Secret