Acid
read excerpt* *Different edition

Acid

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,224 ratings  ·  358 reviews
The year is 2113. In Jenna Strong's world, ACID—the most brutal controlling police force in history—rule supreme. No throwaway comment or whispered dissent goes unnoticed—or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a horrendous crime she struggles to remember. But Jenna's violent prison time has taught her how to survive by any means necessary...more
Published April 25th 2013 by Corgi Children's Books (first published March 11th 2013)

Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
29th out of 491 books — 2,256 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
151st out of 1,416 books — 9,843 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)
Get a grip, Jenna, I tell myself furiously. People’s lives depend on you tomorrow, and all you can think about is snogging Max.
As a child, I read almost the entire Baby Sitter's Club books. Almost 20 years later, I am rather bemused and amused to realize that I've essentially just read another story about babysitting. Sure, the premise is different, there's a dystopian future (and by dystopian, I mean the let's-throw-random-dystopian-element-crap-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks), but really, this...more
Brandi
Aug 11, 2013 Brandi rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: I can't really recommend this one.
Recommended to Brandi by: That cover.

Oh my word, this ended up being one big disappointment. At first I thought for sure I had another winner, and was planning on giving it five stars, but then I got to the second half of the book and almost rage quit. I'll be discussing the plot in depth (though I wouldn't consider it too spoilerish), and any spoiler tags will true spoilers, so don't open the tags if you don't want to know what they say.

The first part

The book opens with our protagonist as an inmate in prison, and one thing that...more
Zemira Warner
She is in an all-male prison?! o_O Don't know if I should jump up and down or bite my fingernails.

Review to come,maybe.
Ashley (Nose Graze)
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

2.5-ish stars

Oh, ACID . You could have been amazing. You could have been wonderful. With a cover like that and a badass main character, you could have been the love of my bookish life. But, alas. After a glorious start, you kind of crashed and burned.

I have a handy dandy enjoyment graph to illustrate my thoughts:

ACID by Emma Pass - Enjoyment Graph

ACID starts out strong—with a 17 year old badass who can take on fully grown, perverted men, and an epic prison break. I LOVED how Jenna kicked some...more
Demitria Lunetta
This fast-paced dystopian has a very 1984 “big brother” feel, but definitely with an updated kick-ass heroine. The world building is great…just like with any good dystopian you can see how society became the way it did. I also loved the plot progression…everything flowed along really well from one tense situation to another. It also wrapped everything up nice and neat with a hint of trouble that could be a second book.
Amy
EDIT: The book is now out here in the US, but I am not getting a Nook copy, and certainly not another physical copy. BUT! There is an audiobook, which I am going to POUNCE on like a tiger! Gah I can't wait!

WARNING: THERE WILL BE A LARGE AMOUNT OF CURSING IN THIS REVIEW. IF YOU DO NOT APPROVE OR LIKE CURSING, PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW, OR IGNORE THE WORDS. THANK YOU.

Oh. My. God. This book is fucking amazing. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. language included. This book is fucking amazing, a...more
Ornella (Nyx)
*Slightly Spoilerish*

I wanted to like this book so bad! Maybe my expectations were too high, but when the blurb talks about a girl who has survived in an all male prison for 2 years, it's hard not to expect awesomeness.

At the start, Jenna was everything I was expecting. She was smart, tough, didn't take crap from anyone, and would kick anyone's butt who so much as looked at her wrong. Then she gets broken out of prison and that's when things started going downhill for me. Jenna changes a little...more
Zoë Marriott
Akjnpijpojpinpi08077=0iklknlk?!??!?!? Bourne Identity meets The Hunger Games. Bring a brown paper bag for inevitable hyperventilation.
Nobonita
Apr 03, 2013 Nobonita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nobonita by: Myself
Originally posted at Daydreaming Bookworm

** I received an Advanced Reading Copy/Uncorrected Proof of this book from Random House U.K in exchange for an honest review.**

With a bad ass heroine like Lara Croft and a fast paced plot like Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series,ACID is one debut that you definitely must keep an eye on when it comes out!

Dystopia has now become quite a dangerous genre to base your story on,given the rise in competition on that particular genre.At least,that's what I thin...more
K.A. Barson
(Based on the ARC)

I loved this book! Jenna Strong is not only kick-ass, but she is very likable, too. Pass (the author) does a fabulous job of giving enough information to create tension and curiosity, but not so much as to overwhelm and not so little as to confuse. The world-building was stellar. Although I've never to London or the future, I felt grounded in the setting. Oh, and did I mention the non-stop thrill ride? Yes, your heart will pound until the last page and beyond. Just clear your s...more
Steph Sinclair

I love this cover. Is it 2013 yet?
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I loved acid! What a cracking story and kick-ass heroine. I couldn't read it quickly enough and was hooked from page one.

Acid is set in a future Britain and is the story of Jenna Strong. Jenna is 17 and has just broken out of a high security prison that she was put into for murdering her parents. Throughout the course of the book you get an insight into a corrupt totalitarian world where the people are watched every minute of every day and any slight disoriented is punished harshly.

I loved sev...more
Kara-karina
You know what? I want to avoid bashing Acid, because a lot of you loved this book, so in my third attempt to review it I'll try to keep it short so it won't dissolve into a rant.

I felt disappointed in this book because Emma started as this strong young heroine who fights against all odds despite the improbability of succeeding in all male high security prison, but as soon as she is whisked away that drive goes out of the window.

Emma is impulsive and makes stupid mistakes throughout the whole boo...more
Becky
Ugh, why do I continue to do this to myself?

First off, I fully blame the cover. Look at it. I was all ready for a hell raising ginger to kick some ass. Then I read the first twenty pages and find out our heroine's in an all male prison, fully capable of defending herself with some awesome ninja skills and was like HEELLSSS YEEAHHH!

It went downhill quickly after that.

What we have here is some really shoddy dystopian world building with a lot of implausible situations, and a Mary-Sue-save-the-da...more
Serendipity Reviews
Originally posted on www.serendipityreviews.co.uk
I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the most anticipated UK debuts of the year when I attended a blogger brunch at Random House. I feel like I have been waiting forever to get my hands on this book, so I was really pleased when I got the opportunity to read it early. I wasn’t disappointed.

Emma Pass has created an excellent dystopian perspective of the UK in 2113. Alongside Claire Merle, she has shown that UK authors can write excellent dy...more
Nafiza
Smart, sexy and sleek is what the cover tells you the novel will be. A dystopian set in London sounded something that I would like even though I am not too much of a fan of dystopians. And there is a reason I don’t like them very much – well, more than one actually. The first reason is that they scare me with their probable reality, I mean, some of the things we read about in dystopian novels is far too realistic for me. They give a glimpse of a possible future, a future I hope I am not alive to...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has been posted on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Reminiscent of the TV show Alias and the movie SALT, ACID is a futuristic dystopian featuring a kickass main character assuming multiple identities throughout the novel, with nonstop action, romance and constant twists and turns.

Jenna Strong is serving a life sentence in prison for killing her parents. Despite being the only female, she can take on even the most hardened criminals with a flick of her wrist. One day, h...more
Melissa
Unputdownable is an overused word, but in this case it's true. As soon as I opened the first page, I couldn't stop reading ACID. It has all the hallmarks of a great thriller - a feisty heroine, non-stop action and a dark conspiracy at its centre. Set in a near-future UK that's scarily realistic, the story follows 16-year-old Jenna Strong as she tries to stay one step ahead of the law, and in doing so, learns the truth about the government - and herself. Anyone who appreciates a truly kick-ass MC...more
Peggy
Mar 26, 2013 Peggy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
If you like kick-butt heroines, then you are going to love this book! (If you couldn't already tell that by the incredible cover.) The story and characters and world were so well developed, and I was rooting for the characters every step of the way. I loved this one a lot.
Maddison
Just absolutely amazing! Soooooo many cliffhangers and twists and turns. Recommended for absolutely everyone!
I'm disappointed that it's just a stand-alone book but I'll definitely be looking out for other books by this author!
I'm just mindblown by how amazing this book was. The characters were very likeable, but my favourite character was Anna because it must have been hard for her to (view spoiler) It wasn't really a shock to me because...more
Janita
Stel je een realiteit voor waarin er geen internet meer bestaat, een organisatie alles wat je doet in de gaten houdt en je bij de kleinste overtreding in de gevangenis kunt belanden. Dit is de wereld van Jenna Strong. Het verhaal wordt vanuit het gezichtspunt van Jenna verteld, zo weet je precies wat zij denkt, hoe ze zich voelt en wat haar beweegredenen zijn. Ik kon me goed in Jenna verplaatsen en met haar meeleven.

Dit boek zet je ook weer aan het nadenken over de toekomst en dit verhaal speel...more
Sabrina
Short and Sweet:

Acid is an absolute roller coaster of action and intrigue! From the moment I met Jenna on the page, I was invested in her story. Her world is cruel and oppressive, but she is a survivor and a fighter. An exciting and addicting read!

To Elaborate...

Acid begins with Jenna, the only female in a high security prison. Which unfortunately draws plenty of attention.... or at least it did until she kicked the curiosity out of anyone who dared to harass her. Jenna is serving a life sentenc...more
Kazhy (My Library in the Making)
Actual rating: 4.5

(View this review on My Library in the Making.)

My, my, my—what a read! Acid is definitely one of the most shocking books I've ever read. It had me in its grip right from page one and took me to one hell of a dystopian ride; it didn't lack the complexity that I look for in books.

Jenna Strong. Strong, Jenna: yep, that's exactly what she was. No damsel in distress here, people. She was always fierce and brave yet she never came across as heartless, only unforgiving. Her levelheade...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
I was excited to receive ACID that I started it within a few days of receiving it, and while the story had such a strong start, after a few chapters it slowly started getting weaker. And so in the end, it was impossible for me to love it, but I certainly didn't hate it.

As I said before the plot started off strong but no sooner than things getting interesting, I started to lose interest. It was pretty easy to figure out what had happened to Jenna before she did, and because of this there was no e...more
Booknut
She's out for revenge.
She's on the run.
She's their worst fear.

She's the key to ACID's destruction.

But as evil as ACID are, they hold the key to Jenna Strong's past...secrets that have been locked away, secrets that could change everything Jenna thinks she knows. In a race against the clock, Jenna must bring down ACID and their hold on her world before it's too late, whilst managing to uncover the truth about why she's being hunted.

Why she has blood on her hands. And why she is so highly covet...more
Emma Adams
Wow! This debut novel by Emma Pass is a gripping thrill-ride, a dystopian set in a future Britain ruled by a terrifying, Orwellian controlling police force, ACID. Jenna Strong is serving life imprisonment for murdering her parents when a mysterious rebel group break her out of jail. A kickass heroine and scarily realistic world-building make this one of the best dystopians I’ve read for a while – and the fast-paced action kept me turning the pages until the end. A great read!
Heather Duff
I had been looking to get this book for ages and finally treated myself to it a few weeks back.

The first thing that struck me about the book was the feisty looking redhead on the cover, as a fellow red I salute you Emma in making the heroine one of us!

Set in a Dystopian future the story gets going really quickly. Britain is ruled over by ACID (Agency for Crime Investigation and Defence) and they rule with the iron fist of General Harvey, they choose your partner, your career and you have no choi...more
Wendy Darling
I'm actually surprised to see so many negative reviews for this, because I thought it was pretty entertaining. Sure, lots of farfetched things you have to accept at face value in this dystopian world, but this is the sort of book I'd enjoy as I would an action movie anyway.

So--not spectacularly outstanding, perhaps, but it's not nearly as bad as I'd been led to expect.
Scott
Check out Scott Reads It for reviews, giveaways, & more!

ACID is one of the best dystopian novels I've read in a while, which is a huge compliment considering I've read hundreds of them at this point. ACID delivers an exciting, fast-paced story with an extremely likeable main character. Emma Pass's debut is absolutely thrilling and it's an incredible addition to the sci-fi genre.

Jenna Strong is one tough main character and you know she means business when she is in jail for killing her pare...more
Totally Random Tour: ACID's dystopian society 5 21 May 31, 2013 10:57AM
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Coda (Coda #1)
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Half Lives
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Stung (Stung, #1)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Gated (Gated, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
Emma Pass grew up at an environmental studies centre near London, went to art school in Cornwall and now lives in the north-east Midlands, UK. Her YA dystopian thriller ACID is out from Random House Children's Books on 25th April 2013 (UK), Mondadori on 13th June 2013 (Spain) and Delacorte on 1st April 2014 (US). Another standalone thriller, The Fearless, will follow in the UK in 2014.

Are you on T...more
More about Emma Pass...
The Fearless

“His smile wavers. I've been looking at him too long. 'Are you OK?' he says.
I nod, take a deep breath.
Then I lean over and kiss him.”
6 likes
“To the NAR!'
'To freedom!' Jack Chimes in.
Max and I pick up our mugs and click them against everyone else's without looking at each other. I'm afraid that if I do catch his eye, I'll see my own horror at what we're getting ourselves into reflected there, and that the smile on my face will drop off and shatter like glass.”
3 likes