Start by marking “Acid” as Want to Read:
Acid

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Acid

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,165 Ratings  ·  672 Reviews
The year is 2113. In Jenna Strong's world, ACID—the most brutal controlling police force in history—rule supreme. No throwaway comment or whispered dissent goes unnoticed—or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a horrendous crime she struggles to remember. But Jenna's violent prison time has taught her how to survive by any means necessary ...more
Published April 25th 2013 by Corgi Children's Books (first published March 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Acid, please sign up.

sh(e)reader It really doesn't have much - I was listening as an audiobook, and at times had my 10year old in the car with me. There was some mild profanity in…moreIt really doesn't have much - I was listening as an audiobook, and at times had my 10year old in the car with me. There was some mild profanity in some parts. At one point sex is mentioned as a possibility (after a couple has been life-partnered) but nothing graphic at all.(less)
Stella P. Winchester Unfortunately I don't think so. I've read this awesome white-knuckle of a book several HUNDRED times and am greatly disappointed that there won't be…moreUnfortunately I don't think so. I've read this awesome white-knuckle of a book several HUNDRED times and am greatly disappointed that there won't be one. THEN AGAIN!! keep in mind I could be wrong and maybe there are sources saying otherwise.(less)
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
30th out of 513 books — 2,461 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
148th out of 1,520 books — 10,844 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
Get a grip, Jenna, I tell myself furiously. People’s lives depend on you tomorrow, and all you can think about is snogging Max.
As a child, I read almost the entire Baby Sitter's Club books. Almost 20 years later, I am rather bemused and amused to realize that I've essentially just read another story about babysitting. Sure, the premise is different, there's a dystopian future (and by dystopian, I mean the let's-throw-random-dystopian-element-crap-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks), but really, thi
Brandi
Aug 07, 2015 Brandi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I can't really recommend this one.
Recommended to Brandi by: That cover.

Oh my word, this ended up being one big disappointment. At first I thought for sure I had another winner, and was planning on giving it five stars, but then I got to the second half of the book and almost rage quit. I'll be discussing the plot in depth (though I wouldn't consider it too spoilerish), and any spoiler tags will true spoilers, so don't open the tags if you don't want to know what they say.

The first part

The book opens with our protagonist as an inmate in prison, and one thing that
Ashley
May 05, 2013 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: requested
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

2.5-ish stars

Oh, ACID . You could have been amazing. You could have been wonderful. With a cover like that and a badass main character, you could have been the love of my bookish life. But, alas. After a glorious start, you kind of crashed and burned.

I have a handy dandy enjoyment graph to illustrate my thoughts:

ACID by Emma Pass - Enjoyment Graph

ACID starts out strong—with a 17 year old badass who can take on fully grown, perverted men, and an epic prison break. I LOVED how Jenna kicked so
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
She is in an all-male prison?! o_O Don't know if I should jump up and down or bite my fingernails.

Review to come,maybe.
Amy
EDIT: The book is now out here in the US, but I am not getting a Nook copy, and certainly not another physical copy. BUT! There is an audiobook, which I am going to POUNCE on like a tiger! Gah I can't wait!

WARNING: THERE WILL BE A LARGE AMOUNT OF CURSING IN THIS REVIEW. IF YOU DO NOT APPROVE OR LIKE CURSING, PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW, OR IGNORE THE WORDS. THANK YOU.

Oh. My. God. This book is fucking amazing. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. language included. This book is fucking amazing, a
Demitria Lunetta
Dec 17, 2012 Demitria Lunetta rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced dystopian has a very 1984 “big brother” feel, but definitely with an updated kick-ass heroine. The world building is great…just like with any good dystopian you can see how society became the way it did. I also loved the plot progression…everything flowed along really well from one tense situation to another. It also wrapped everything up nice and neat with a hint of trouble that could be a second book.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words:

Wow.

Freaking wow.

I loved this. Absolutely loved it.

Full review to come. I can't even think right now so it may take a little while.
Ornella (Nyx)
Apr 27, 2013 Ornella (Nyx) rated it it was ok
Shelves: stand-alone, dystopia
*Slightly Spoilerish*

I wanted to like this book so bad! Maybe my expectations were too high, but when the blurb talks about a girl who has survived in an all male prison for 2 years, it's hard not to expect awesomeness.

At the start, Jenna was everything I was expecting. She was smart, tough, didn't take crap from anyone, and would kick anyone's butt who so much as looked at her wrong. Then she gets broken out of prison and that's when things started going downhill for me. Jenna changes a little
Zoë Marriott
Apr 17, 2013 Zoë Marriott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: can-t-wait
Akjnpijpojpinpi08077=0iklknlk?!??!?!? Bourne Identity meets The Hunger Games. Bring a brown paper bag for inevitable hyperventilation.
Becky
Ugh, why do I continue to do this to myself?

First off, I fully blame the cover. Look at it. I was all ready for a hell raising ginger to kick some ass. Then I read the first twenty pages and find out our heroine's in an all male prison, fully capable of defending herself with some awesome ninja skills and was like HEELLSSS YEEAHHH!

It went downhill quickly after that.

What we have here is some really shoddy dystopian world building with a lot of implausible situations, and a Mary-Sue-save-the-da
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I loved acid! What a cracking story and kick-ass heroine. I couldn't read it quickly enough and was hooked from page one.

Acid is set in a future Britain and is the story of Jenna Strong. Jenna is 17 and has just broken out of a high security prison that she was put into for murdering her parents. Throughout the course of the book you get an insight into a corrupt totalitarian world where the people are watched every minute of every day and any slight disoriented is punished harshly.

I loved sev
Wendy Darling
I'm actually surprised to see so many negative reviews for this, because I thought it was pretty entertaining. Sure, lots of farfetched things you have to accept at face value in this dystopian world, but this is the sort of book I'd enjoy as I would an action movie anyway.

So--not spectacularly outstanding, perhaps, but it's not nearly as bad as I'd been led to expect.
Steph Sinclair

I love this cover. Is it 2013 yet?
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Being a dystopian standalone… it’s fair to say I had my doubts. To include world building (in a way that wasn’t just annoying/boring info-dumps), plus character development, plus world “destroying” with a satisfying conclusion – looks to be an impressive feat. However I needn’t have worried because Acid managed it all flawlessly.

Dystopias are hit or miss for me. If it works and captures my attention from start to finish I can rave about it all day, but if I’m bored or doubt its authenticity then
Serendipity Reviews
Apr 19, 2013 Serendipity Reviews rated it really liked it
Originally posted on www.serendipityreviews.co.uk
I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the most anticipated UK debuts of the year when I attended a blogger brunch at Random House. I feel like I have been waiting forever to get my hands on this book, so I was really pleased when I got the opportunity to read it early. I wasn’t disappointed.

Emma Pass has created an excellent dystopian perspective of the UK in 2113. Alongside Claire Merle, she has shown that UK authors can write excellent dy
Nobonita
Apr 03, 2013 Nobonita rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nobonita by: Myself
Originally posted at Daydreaming Bookworm

** I received an Advanced Reading Copy/Uncorrected Proof of this book from Random House U.K in exchange for an honest review.**

With a bad ass heroine like Lara Croft and a fast paced plot like Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series,ACID is one debut that you definitely must keep an eye on when it comes out!

Dystopia has now become quite a dangerous genre to base your story on,given the rise in competition on that particular genre.At least,that's what I thi
K.A. Barson
Jan 15, 2013 K.A. Barson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 13s, kickass-heroine
(Based on the ARC)

I loved this book! Jenna Strong is not only kick-ass, but she is very likable, too. Pass (the author) does a fabulous job of giving enough information to create tension and curiosity, but not so much as to overwhelm and not so little as to confuse. The world-building was stellar. Although I've never to London or the future, I felt grounded in the setting. Oh, and did I mention the non-stop thrill ride? Yes, your heart will pound until the last page and beyond. Just clear your s
Karissa
Apr 27, 2014 Karissa rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this to review through the Amazon Vine program. Honestly I was drawn to this book because of the awesome cover and the synopsis that promised an action-packed novel. Then when I figured out it was another YA dystopian read I was a bit worried...I am kind of sick of that genre right now. However, I was pleasantly surprised...I really really loved this book. It was incredibly engaging and very fast-paced.

In 2113 ACID rules the world, they are a military police-like organization tha
Kara-karina
Jun 28, 2013 Kara-karina rated it it was ok
You know what? I want to avoid bashing Acid, because a lot of you loved this book, so in my third attempt to review it I'll try to keep it short so it won't dissolve into a rant.

I felt disappointed in this book because Emma started as this strong young heroine who fights against all odds despite the improbability of succeeding in all male high security prison, but as soon as she is whisked away that drive goes out of the window.

Emma is impulsive and makes stupid mistakes throughout the whole boo
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has been posted on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Reminiscent of the TV show Alias and the movie SALT, ACID is a futuristic dystopian featuring a kickass main character assuming multiple identities throughout the novel, with nonstop action, romance and constant twists and turns.

Jenna Strong is serving a life sentence in prison for killing her parents. Despite being the only female, she can take on even the most hardened criminals with a flick of her wrist. One day, h
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Action-packed and fast-paced. It was entertaining but nothing to write home about.
Melissa
Mar 08, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable is an overused word, but in this case it's true. As soon as I opened the first page, I couldn't stop reading ACID. It has all the hallmarks of a great thriller - a feisty heroine, non-stop action and a dark conspiracy at its centre. Set in a near-future UK that's scarily realistic, the story follows 16-year-old Jenna Strong as she tries to stay one step ahead of the law, and in doing so, learns the truth about the government - and herself. Anyone who appreciates a truly kick-ass MC ...more
Tamara
Aug 06, 2015 Tamara rated it it was ok
Amazing idea, poorly executed.
Nafiza
May 30, 2013 Nafiza rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Smart, sexy and sleek is what the cover tells you the novel will be. A dystopian set in London sounded something that I would like even though I am not too much of a fan of dystopians. And there is a reason I don’t like them very much – well, more than one actually. The first reason is that they scare me with their probable reality, I mean, some of the things we read about in dystopian novels is far too realistic for me. They give a glimpse of a possible future, a future I hope I am not alive to ...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
I was excited to receive ACID that I started it within a few days of receiving it, and while the story had such a strong start, after a few chapters it slowly started getting weaker. And so in the end, it was impossible for me to love it, but I certainly didn't hate it.

As I said before the plot started off strong but no sooner than things getting interesting, I started to lose interest. It was pretty easy to figure out what had happened to Jenna before she did, and because of this there was no e
Booknut
She's out for revenge.
She's on the run.
She's their worst fear.

She's the key to ACID's destruction.

But as evil as ACID are, they hold the key to Jenna Strong's past...secrets that have been locked away, secrets that could change everything Jenna thinks she knows. In a race against the clock, Jenna must bring down ACID and their hold on her world before it's too late, whilst managing to uncover the truth about why she's being hunted.

Why she has blood on her hands. And why she is so highly covet
Kelly
Jan 16, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked it up, I mixed up the blurb of this book with another dystopian book but I wanted to read this one too so it's fine. Overall, I enjoyed reading Acid, a YA standalone. It was easy to get into and I liked the plot about Acid. It was fast paced even though I thought the beginning and the end were the best parts of the book. I wish we had more of Max and Jenna. About the ending, I'm content to have a HEA instead of having doubts on the future of the characters (I'll forget about the me ...more
Emma Adams
Wow! This debut novel by Emma Pass is a gripping thrill-ride, a dystopian set in a future Britain ruled by a terrifying, Orwellian controlling police force, ACID. Jenna Strong is serving life imprisonment for murdering her parents when a mysterious rebel group break her out of jail. A kickass heroine and scarily realistic world-building make this one of the best dystopians I’ve read for a while – and the fast-paced action kept me turning the pages until the end. A great read!
Lauren (galacticake)
Oct 27, 2015 Lauren (galacticake) rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I can't finish this.

ACID is a book about a terrible dystopian regime like 1984 (if it were written as a YA) all over again, turning England (now IRB, The republic of britain) into a tyranny of technobureaucracy. Jenna, our main character, is an inmate at a prison who gets busted out and involved in La Resistance against ACID.

Jenna Strong was an "Upper", a citizen who lived in the wealthy, spoiled part of the city. Then she kills her parents and gets sent to jail where she spends a couple years
YA Shot 2016: "Acid" by Emma Pass - Dec 7th - Dec 21st 5 4 Dec 29, 2015 01:06PM
2015 Hub Reading ...: ACID 1 6 May 06, 2015 05:35PM
The Outsmilers: Acid - Emma Pass - April 12th (Lya & Tia) 64 21 Apr 16, 2014 10:00AM
Totally Random Tour: ACID's dystopian society 5 25 May 31, 2013 10:57AM
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Vengeance Bound
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Perfection (Perfection, #1)
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Doomed
  • Impostor (Variants, #1)
Emma Pass grew up at an environmental studies centre near London, went to art school in Cornwall and now lives in the north-east Midlands, UK. Her YA dystopian thriller ACID is out from Random House Children's Books on 25th April 2013 (UK), Mondadori on 13th June 2013 (Spain) and Delacorte on 1st April 2014 (US). Another standalone thriller, The Fearless, will follow in the UK in 2014.

Are you on T
More about Emma Pass...

“His smile wavers. I've been looking at him too long. 'Are you OK?' he says.
I nod, take a deep breath.
Then I lean over and kiss him.”
9 likes
“To the NAR!'
'To freedom!' Jack Chimes in.
Max and I pick up our mugs and click them against everyone else's without looking at each other. I'm afraid that if I do catch his eye, I'll see my own horror at what we're getting ourselves into reflected there, and that the smile on my face will drop off and shatter like glass.”
6 likes