Start by marking “Awaken (Abandon Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
Awaken (Abandon Trilogy, #3)

Awaken (Abandon #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  6,986 ratings  ·  730 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Meg Cabot, the dark reimagining of the Persephone myth comes to a thrilling conclusion.

Death has her in his clutches. She doesn't want him to let her go. Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she'd be forced to live forever in the one place she's always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacri
Published July 2nd 2013 by Point (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Awaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaken

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverLover at Last by J.R. WardThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
64th out of 2,471 books — 12,486 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
57th out of 1,501 books — 10,336 voters

More lists with this book...

Navessa
It is time. Time for me to give up YA books that have anything to do with the paranormal. They’re not working for me. But let me tell you why this one specifically failed to make me want to finish it. I got seventy five pages in and NOTHING HAPPENED. Oh sure, there was a lengthy recap of the previous book paired with the insufferable inner monologue of this doormat of an MC, so there were words, but really...NOTHING HAPPENED.

Actually, that’s not entirely true. On page 54 this happened:

Standing
Booknut
Dec 17, 2012 Booknut marked it as to-read
Holy Hades...is that...is that JOHN ON THE COVER?!

And Pierce's dress - I'll give it to her. She knows how to look absolutely fab for a girl who's dating Death :)

Can't wait for Awaken!!
dick gansey
Argh! I finished the second book yesterday and I hate it where Meg Cabot left it! Why oh why Meg? And the third books blurb. It's amazing. I'm so annoyed because now It's on my list of books-I-have-to-wait-ages-for-to-come-out.

Shocked

Please come out...

UPDATE:
description

Arrrrghhhhhhh I think i have a million questions about the cover. Is that John? Is that dead Alex? Is there a specific reason its purple? Did anyone notice that I love purple?

The. Cover. Is. Just. So. Awesome. I would jump up and down in glee if
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
Actual rating: 1.5
"You couldn’t go back to your mom's house and hide under the covers when you had a baby, pretending you couldn’t hear its cries. That big, fat, demanding baby was your responsibility now. You had to take care of it, for as long as it needed you, even when it wasn’t being cute and giggly, but when it was crying and hungry.
I should never have worried about having a demon baby as a result of making love with John in the Underworld: The Underworld itself is a demon baby."

What in t
Taylor
John and Pierce MUST stay together and I kinda hope she has a baby even though it's not supposed to happen. I also want Kayla to stay with Frank in the underworld.
Nicole
Jun 12, 2013 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
So to say that this book made me an emotional mess is a complete understatement! From the very first few chapters it already broke my heart and threw all of the pieces around. At the end of a certain chapter I was like YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! I mean I knew there was no way it could possibly be true but for it to tease me like that???? Heart breaking D:

HoweverAwakenwas a great ending to this series despite all of the heart ache. All of the plot lines were tied up nicely and I have no quest
Crysta DenOuden
Beautiful cover!! I loved ABANDON, which was so perfect. UNDERWORLD was even better, if possible, and I have to say that Pierce is one of my favorite heroines. Cannot wait for AWAKEN. Really, I'm just so glad that I found a YA book that DOESN'T deal with stupid love-triangles. :)
Michele
... Blink...

It didn't work it isn't May yet! BAaah July now!

---- Loved it! Read it in one day because I couldn't wait to see what happend.
Pauline
It feels so good to finally finish another awesome series by one of my most sought-after authors. I really like the story of Pierce and John and I think they deserve a great happy ending. I love Greek mythology so much especially Persephone and Hades retellings. Thank you Meg Cabot for giving us another great paranormal love story. I swear I was swooning over these two lovebirds. John Hayden <3
nicole
Nov 09, 2012 nicole marked it as to-read

I CANNOT. I JUST CANT. UGH I cant wait to read the third book. Im literally on the edge of my seat cause this book is a total cliff hanger and I cant wait for more of John's Hotness. oh. if only guys from books were real. The cover was so perfect I was like:

[image error]
Angie
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

This is one of those series that definitely does not get better as it moves along. Awaken was an extremely boring, and kind of pointless, ending to a lackluster series. It was pure curiosity and determination that made me read this conclusion. Mainly, I wanted to know what the heck the plot was! Well, what I thought may have been the plot in the previous book may not have been, and a new plot was revealed in this one. I don’t understand why it took until the t
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
*Genre* YA Paranormal
*Rating* 3.0-3.5

*Thoughts*

Awaken closes out the Abandon Trilogy in a nice tidy little bow without too many questions left to be answered. In fairness, however, there is (1) important question that I really would like answers to and I'm hoping that Ms Cabot finds a way to answer mine and Pierce's question: Why does Pierce's necklace turn purple whenever she's around Kayla?

I'm pretty sure others haven't mentioned this little tidbit, but, this happens when I take copious notes
Claudia the Night Owl

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Eeeee! I've waited so long for this book! The wait was worth it. I finally got me more John! Awaken is so good and a wonderful ending to this series I love so much. After John sacrifices himself in order to save everyone Pierce along with Frank, Kayla and Alex goes up to the land of the living packing a rock and a whip in order to save John and try to bring balance to the underworld. Furies get destroyed and evil grannys get beat and then there's the sexiness that is John what more could you wa
Jessica
why does she want to leave if she loves him? she is whining about spendin forevr in a castle with her hot beloved and she has a problem, shes mental!why doesnt she give herself up to the furys if she is savin people?idk! if john dies will world explode? YES!
Jacqueline's Reads
Jun 04, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads marked it as top-tbr
Shelves: arc
I'm really excited for the the last book. I'm going to read this closer to the release date. VERY HAPPY!

Death has her in his clutches. She doesn’t want him to let go.

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera knew by accepting the love of John Hayden, she’d be forced to live forever in the one place she’s always dreaded most: the Underworld. The sacrifice seemed worth it, though, because it meant she could be with the boy she loves.

But now her happiness — and safety — are threatened, all because the Fu
joanne
The finale of a truly adventurous trilogy has finally come to an end! But did it really go out with a bang?
Personally I love the books, I love the characters, the plot and even the use of the Greek story. But in this one I though that it was a bit short, also I think the ending wasn't explained well in depth. However overall their was great chapters and a really interesting story's, I hope we have another book later on in meg cabots career to hear more from pierce and John.
Fallen for books
What an end to the series...SO much action and I loved Pierce and JOHN WAS GREAT !! :)
Giselle at BO-OK NERD Canada
AHH LOVE that cover. SO feminine and soft!
S.vasundara
i loved the whole series. unlike most main characters in YA books, Pierce wasn't constantly in the need for the love of her life to save her and was capable enough to save herself and the people around her, she fought instead of playing the damsel in distress n she also was smart enough to figure things out from small clues which almost never happens in most YA romance stories. and john was really funny so the book even made you laugh. some things were basic YA like bad rebel boy with tragic pas ...more
Jazmin
May 10, 2014 Jazmin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who loves Greek myths
Recommended to Jazmin by: My friend
I loved this series and its too bad it has come to an end!
Now lets sum up what happened well John gets his soul captured by Thanatos (God of the dead yea we know Hades is the god of the Underworld Thanatos takes the souls and sorta organizes them)so Pierce,Kayla,Alex,and Frank go off to the Isla de Huesos to find Mr.Smith see is he has any info for them on the way they run over Mr.Muller *Happy face* and John strikes thunder on him to finish of the Job once thye get to Mr.Smith house they talk a
Alice A
Pierce, Pierce, Pierce... oh man, this girl is ca-raaazy. This trilogy spans, what, a week and a half in total? By the end of this, Pierce wants to marry John and have kids with him in the foreseeable future. She's 17 and she's only properly known the guy for around a fortnight.

So apart from Pierce making stupid romantic decisions, she also makes stupid life decisions. She's got this great necklace that alerts her to the presence of evil but she never checks it? I'm not sure why she's not dead
Rebecca
'If enough people go out of their way to help someone else, the spirit of kindness eventually breaks through the darkness, the way sunshine breaks through clouds after a storm and allows even more kind acts to follow. My hope has always been that some day kindness will prevail, and there won't be any Furies for us to fight.'

(view spoiler)
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
Anything can happen in the blink of an eye. Anything at all.
One. Two. Three.

Blink.

Once upon a time I read literally everything, and I do mean everything, Meg Cabot wrote. I would wait forever for her books to come in and I would read them to the point of exhaustion. My favorite was the Mediator series. Jump twelve years later to 2013 and I still think about her fun, witty writing and why I loved the books so much. I was so happy to find this series and see that she had added some more stories t
Marie
Awaken did not meet my expectations. To be blunt, the plot was scattered and wasn't held together very well. It was messy and random, and their were many parts through the book where I literally whispered "Wait, what?" to myself.
I LOVED Abandon and Underworld. I loved the relationship between Pierce and John. I loved how Cabot interpreted the Underworld. The books were captivating and compelling, so I was highly anticipating Awaken, but it was in many ways, a let down.
I had quite a few issues
Annalise Grey
my heart is totally broken that I didn't enjoy this book the way I so desperately wanted to.

uuggh... where to begin? the cover: I L-O-V-E it. sensuous purple, john in pierce's arms... beautiful. and terribly deceiving. I waited with baited breath for this book - I mean, it was almost painful waiting for this one. the first two books are some of my all-time favorites but this was almost a total disaster.

*Spoilers ahead* (view spoiler)
Howdy YAL
Really 3.5 stars, but given the way the series started it redeemed itself.

To see full review click here.

I liked this one and oddly I didn't think I was because the first third because I was like nothing is happening. While stuff was happening but Pierce was just a spectator and then...well then, shit happens.

I will have to say this is the first book in this series that really felt to me, genuine Meg Cabot. Arguably, Underworld had its moments. But I finally saw the development I wanted to see in
Amy
I am in denial.

How could it be over? HOW?!

I don’t think you even understand. I’ve spent like three years of my life DEVOTED to this series. THREE YEARS of waiting for each book to be released, jumping up and down when it finally is, spending a full day locked in my room reading it with NO HUMAN CONTACT WHATSOEVER, and then crying when it’s over. Repeat this process twice, with extended waiting periods and misinformation on the release date, and putting myself through the pain and thrill of re-re
Katie
Eh, I mostly just got around to finish this series because it (sort of) counts for the Romance Genre Challenge.

I didn't really remember the first two books very well, which turned out to be more of a problem than it usually is. There just wasn't a lot of catch up information. (It's only the series where I don't need it that re-explain everything!)

Anyway, this wasn't really bad, but the series is a disappointment. Meg Cabot was one of those authors I was guaranteed to enjoy and I love the Hades/P
Sandra
¡Al fin lo terminé! Dios mío, me ha costado, pero lo hice. Porque anoche me dije "O lo termino ya o lo abandono" así que me obligué a terminarlo. Y ha resultado que hacia la mitad del libro, Awaken se ponía interesante, ¿y lo mejor de todo? John vuelve.

Y eso es genial. Porque sin él el libro estaba siendo aburridísimo. Tenía pensado darle dos estrellas, pero el final me ha gustado mucho y es justo cómo me imaginaba que iba a acabar, aunque Pierce a veces me sacaba de mis casillas y me hubiese g
The What If... 3 15 Oct 07, 2014 09:07PM
BYU-Adolescent Li...: Awaken 2 8 Aug 27, 2014 11:31AM
Goodreads Librari...: Multiples of the same book 3 20 Dec 28, 2013 05:44PM
Young Adult Book ...: * Awaken (Book 3) 1 12 Nov 03, 2013 09:48PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Awaken by Meg Cabot - STARTS September 10th 6 24 Sep 30, 2013 02:40PM
John 5 68 Sep 24, 2013 04:37PM
Abandon Trilogy 4 51 Aug 02, 2013 08:07PM
  • Afterglow (Wildefire, #3)
  • The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3)
  • If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)
  • The Wicked Within (Gods & Monsters, #3)
  • Sweet Legacy (Medusa Girls, #3)
  • Everbound (Everneath, #2)
  • Goddess (Starcrossed, #3)
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
  • Eternity (The Fury Trilogy, #3)
  • Elegy (Hereafter #3)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Thornhill (Hemlock, #2)
  • Consume (The Clann, #3)
  • Shadows in the Silence (Angelfire, #3)
  • After Daybreak (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #3)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Belladonna (Secrets of the Eternal Rose, #2)

More about Meg Cabot...
The Princess Diaries (The Princess Diaries, #1) Size 12 Is Not Fat (Heather Wells, #1) All-American Girl (All-American Girl, #1) Shadowland (The Mediator, #1) Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)

“I can't kill someone!"
"You hit your brother in the head with a fire extinguisher."
"But that was family! And I didn't kill him.”
28 likes
“Kayla snatched the ruby-coloured bra he'd dug out from behind his back. "You should know, you're the one who got it off me," she said.” 9 likes