Start by marking “Teddy's Button ” as Want to Read:
Teddy's Button

Teddy's Button

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  481 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Here is a story that will open a child's understanding of the spiritual battle within as Teddy learns that he is his own worst enemy. As a stubborn boy and girl refuse to back down from their selfish pride, one of the many lessons they learn is that they cannot win battles by force and hate, but by carrying the banner of love. Through this charming story, Amy Lefeuvre help ...more
Published 2001 by Lamplighter Publishing (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Teddy's Button, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teddy's Button

Linda
Nov 27, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
The kids and I listened to this audio book through Lamplighter Publishing, and it was well done. We were captivated by the wonderful story of friendship, forgiveness, facing our weaknesses, and what it means to follow Christ.
Jubilation Lee
Okay, guys, I get it. This is a freakin’ ancient book, and must be enough of a classic in certain circles that it has remained in print, and I shouldn’t judge it based on modern standards because it’s not. Modern, that is.

But seriously, this was the most stilted book ever. I was completely unable to get through it. Which is a bummer, because the cover looked really cute, albeit made out of a weirdly... puffy... material. But then you open it, and there’s just text, and not Easy Reader text (whic
Julie Graves
Aug 27, 2011 Julie Graves rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, 2011-reads
Teddy is a young boy full of mischief. He is very popular among the boys because of his great story-telling skills and ideas for getting into mischief. His favorite story of all is the one about his father. His father was a soldier, a hero who died in battle. Teddy carries his father's war button around with him and aspires to be a soldier just like his father.

When Teddy's mischief gets him into trouble at church he soon learns of another Captain he can follow~Jesus Christ. He soon "enlists" int
Jodi
May 06, 2015 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Jenny
Dec 13, 2014 Jenny added it
A must read! The kids and I read this aloud and laughed much!!! It is a great read for anyone, but I would think children around 6-10 years of age would enjoy it the most. I just love, love this book, and I am 43!!! A wonderful story about a rambunctious boy who wants to be in the Lord's army with all his heart!
Manning
Sep 03, 2012 Manning rated it liked it
Teddy is a young boy who loves his father's war button. He talks to the town boys about his father's heroic death in battle and wants to be just like him. Teddy wants to become a good soldier, but he is also faced with becoming a good Christian and being a good warrior in God's army too. He becomes friends with a local sailor girl named Nancy. At first, they use to be enemies, but Mr. Upton teaches Teddy that you need to love your enemies even when they are not kind to you. Then, some soldiers n ...more
Karen
Nov 06, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
This is my favorite Lamplighter book. We have listened to the audio many many times. The book has a different ending then the audio. The kids were very surprised by the differences. I would recommend this book to everyone!
Danette
Apr 27, 2016 Danette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Lincoln on his 6th birthday. August 2012
This is a shorter illustrated version of the original work but still long for reading in on session. A young boy is learning how to please his Captain by how he loves the people around him.
Patrick
Feb 28, 2014 Patrick rated it really liked it
Great little book about a young man who "enlists" under the true Captain and his fight against his personal enemy "Bully." This would be a great book to read to younger children - perhaps a chapter a day? Highly recommended.
Mandi
Mar 08, 2010 Mandi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
My kids got the audio of this fantastic book, written by Amy LeFeuvre in 1896, for Christmas a few years ago. A precious story.
Here is the description:
Who is your most foul and cruel enemy? After reading Teddy’s Button, you may have a new answer to that question. Flamboyant Teddy Platt cannot keep silent about the glorious history of his sacred button. Soon this passion brings him into contention with a new little girl in the village. God uses this enmity to bring Teddy to his knees ready to sig
Kim♥
Feb 09, 2012 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim♥ by: Jthornberg2
Shelves: children, favorites
This illustrated, abridged version of Teddy's Button is one of our family's favorites. It is such a beautiful, beautiful book! I got choked up at one point and I think my husband was misty-eyed, too. I highly recommend it. It took a few nights to get through, but my boys hung on every word and begged for me to read more. The voice of the characters lends itself easily to reading it aloud in fun accents. Kids love that. :)

The message is beautiful. I really can't think of another word for it. If m
Moriah
Oct 04, 2015 Moriah rated it it was amazing
Teddy's Button is a beautiful story that I greatly enjoyed during my childhood. It shows growth in character and faith in God during difficult times. A great read for the young or old.
Allison Hawbaker
May 10, 2014 Allison Hawbaker rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The story is very sweet and has many good lessons. The struggle with our sin nature is a very real battle that we all have.
The story leans more toward decision salvation instead of election but It's a worthy read.
Mattandbecky Hancock
Oct 13, 2015 Mattandbecky Hancock rated it it was amazing
Engaging story with powerful deep theological truths woven in and explained at a child's level. Read this to Jonathan, who soaked up every word.
Trish Boese
5* Children's fiction with a gospel message so clearly told! Teddy is a cute little character who wants to be good but nevertheless makes some grand fails. This will be required reading for my son and daughter.
Nichole
Dec 02, 2014 Nichole rated it it was amazing
I actually didn't read this. I listened to the dramatized edition put out by the Lamplighter Theatre.
Kesha
Nov 11, 2014 Kesha rated it it was amazing
An endearing and absolutely inspiring story - for all ages. So many life lessons in such a small book!
Tifken
Apr 27, 2014 Tifken rated it it was amazing
Loved the book and love the Lamplighter audio even more. The kids listen to it over and over.
Madison
May 29, 2014 Madison rated it it was ok
It's been yeeeeears, but I recall something of a very Arminian bent.
Wendy
Apr 21, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!
A.j. Dorizas
Jan 17, 2013 A.j. Dorizas rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written book. It helped me understand that my biggest enemy is myself. In the book,Teddy is a boy probably about

one year old,and his dad is a sergeant in the army. Teddy's dad dies a brave death saving the life of a fellow solder. About seven years later

Nancy moves in the house next door,and her dad is a sailor. She does not believe that Teddy's dad was a hero in the army. I encourage you to read this book,

to find what treasures lay ahead in the story!
Noelle
Jul 31, 2015 Noelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My favorite Lamplighter book!
Laurell Dowling
Jan 03, 2016 Laurell Dowling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my children about 10 years ago. It is still one of our favorite stories. I would highly recommend as a good children's book to read aloud. The words and the story are so descriptive of a period of time that has long past. A great wholesome book which will help build moral Christian character.
Tracy Schuster
Nov 12, 2009 Tracy Schuster rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
We ordered this from lamplighter publishing. HIGHLY recommend any of these books. We read it a little at a time after dinner and the kids LOVED it and are asking for another one. It really encourages the love of language and discussion about what it means to be a "soldier".
Isabella
Feb 27, 2015 Isabella rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
I really don't remember much about this book... we read it last year at a EvFree study where the mom's go to their study and their kids have their own little study. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, so I just put three stars. And no, I did not just finish it.
Karen
Apr 01, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good story
Recommended to Karen by: Rita Seldenrust
This is a beautiful story! I was really impressed with it. OH that we could return to the time when books were written to inspire character! This was our first read aloud in the afternoons. Now we are hooked :0).
Rob
Dec 21, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
An excellent short story to read to your children at bedtime.
This little story is a thought provoking analysis of a child's motivations and heart condition. A great launch pad for discipling and instructing.
Addie
Apr 20, 2011 Addie rated it really liked it
Teddy is a young boy, with big blue eyes, blonde curly hair, and a tendancy to get in trouble. But this year is diffrent from the others.
I LOVED this book! It was so cute, but it has a very good point!
Abigail Rasmussen
My mom read this out loud to us when I was around 15 years old. This book is one that is to be read over, and over, and over again. I think it can also go along with your family devotions.
Vanessa Tuell perkins
Jan 19, 2016 Vanessa Tuell perkins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-grade
This was an excellent book. I read aloud to the kids. My five year old loved it! It offered many opportunities for conversations. A great character builder for everyone...young and old.
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • Jessica's First Prayer
  • The Hedge of Thorns
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • Christie's Old Organ (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Ishmael
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)
  • Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
  • The Swamp Robber (Sugar Creek Gang, #1)
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters