Teddy's Button

Teddy's Button

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Here is a story that will open a child's understanding of the spiritual battle within as Teddy learns that he is his own worst enemy. As a stubborn boy and girl refuse to back down from their selfish pride, one of the many lessons they learn is that they cannot win battles by force and hate, but by carrying the banner of love. Through this charming story, Amy Lefeuvre help...more
Published 2001 by Lamplighter Publishing (first published 1896)

Linda
The kids and I listened to this audio book through Lamplighter Publishing, and it was well done. We were captivated by the wonderful story of friendship, forgiveness, facing our weaknesses, and what it means to follow Christ.
Monica!
Okay, guys, I get it. This is a freakin’ ancient book, and must be enough of a classic in certain circles that it has remained in print, and I shouldn’t judge it based on modern standards because it’s not. Modern, that is.

But seriously, this was the most stilted book ever. I was completely unable to get through it. Which is a bummer, because the cover looked really cute, albeit made out of a weirdly... puffy... material. But then you open it, and there’s just text, and not Easy Reader text (whic...more
Julie Graves
Teddy is a young boy full of mischief. He is very popular among the boys because of his great story-telling skills and ideas for getting into mischief. His favorite story of all is the one about his father. His father was a soldier, a hero who died in battle. Teddy carries his father's war button around with him and aspires to be a soldier just like his father.

When Teddy's mischief gets him into trouble at church he soon learns of another Captain he can follow~Jesus Christ. He soon "enlists" int...more
Manning
Teddy is a young boy who loves his father's war button. He talks to the town boys about his father's heroic death in battle and wants to be just like him. Teddy wants to become a good soldier, but he is also faced with becoming a good Christian and being a good warrior in God's army too. He becomes friends with a local sailor girl named Nancy. At first, they use to be enemies, but Mr. Upton teaches Teddy that you need to love your enemies even when they are not kind to you. Then, some soldiers n...more
Patrick
Great little book about a young man who "enlists" under the true Captain and his fight against his personal enemy "Bully." This would be a great book to read to younger children - perhaps a chapter a day? Highly recommended.
Mandi
My kids got the audio of this fantastic book, written by Amy LeFeuvre in 1896, for Christmas a few years ago. A precious story.
Here is the description:
Who is your most foul and cruel enemy? After reading Teddy’s Button, you may have a new answer to that question. Flamboyant Teddy Platt cannot keep silent about the glorious history of his sacred button. Soon this passion brings him into contention with a new little girl in the village. God uses this enmity to bring Teddy to his knees ready to sig...more
Kim♥
Feb 09, 2012 Kim♥ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim♥ by: Jthornberg2
Shelves: children, favorites
This illustrated, abridged version of Teddy's Button is one of our family's favorites. It is such a beautiful, beautiful book! I got choked up at one point and I think my husband was misty-eyed, too. I highly recommend it. It took a few nights to get through, but my boys hung on every word and begged for me to read more. The voice of the characters lends itself easily to reading it aloud in fun accents. Kids love that. :)

The message is beautiful. I really can't think of another word for it. If m...more
Allison Hawbaker
The story is very sweet and has many good lessons. The struggle with our sin nature is a very real battle that we all have.
The story leans more toward decision salvation instead of election but It's a worthy read.
Tifken
Loved the book and love the Lamplighter audio even more. The kids listen to it over and over.
Madison
It's been yeeeeears, but I recall something of a very Arminian bent.
A.j. Dorizas
This is a very well written book. It helped me understand that my biggest enemy is myself. In the book,Teddy is a boy probably about

one year old,and his dad is a sergeant in the army. Teddy's dad dies a brave death saving the life of a fellow solder. About seven years later

Nancy moves in the house next door,and her dad is a sailor. She does not believe that Teddy's dad was a hero in the army. I encourage you to read this book,

to find what treasures lay ahead in the story!
Tracy Schuster
Nov 12, 2009 Tracy Schuster rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
We ordered this from lamplighter publishing. HIGHLY recommend any of these books. We read it a little at a time after dinner and the kids LOVED it and are asking for another one. It really encourages the love of language and discussion about what it means to be a "soldier".
Karen
Apr 01, 2011 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good story
Recommended to Karen by: Rita Seldenrust
This is a beautiful story! I was really impressed with it. OH that we could return to the time when books were written to inspire character! This was our first read aloud in the afternoons. Now we are hooked :0).
Rob
An excellent short story to read to your children at bedtime.
This little story is a thought provoking analysis of a child's motivations and heart condition. A great launch pad for discipling and instructing.
Addie
Teddy is a young boy, with big blue eyes, blonde curly hair, and a tendancy to get in trouble. But this year is diffrent from the others.
I LOVED this book! It was so cute, but it has a very good point!
Abigail Rasmussen
My mom read this out loud to us when I was around 15 years old. This book is one that is to be read over, and over, and over again. I think it can also go along with your family devotions.
The beautiful binding of this book made me feel extremely important when I first read it at the age of seven. The morals are extremely good and the storyline safe for young children.
Melissa
This book is about a little boy who idealizes soldiers and wants to be one like his daddy was, but through the course of things he learns that being a soldier for Christ is even better.
Christina
Jun 06, 2012 Christina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: Cheryl Fritz
A little above my boys (5 and 7) at this point, maybe because of the older language. Looks like there are some wonderful Christian themes here. Will try again in a few years.

Tara
This is such a sweet story about a boy learning how to live the Christian life and put away self in order to be a good soldier for Christ. It is a great read aloud for the family.
Liz
Outstanding book. The story reveals the truth about human nature and the battle that is going on between good and evil. Teddy is adorable. This is a story with a lesson.
Amber
Review by Blake: A really good book. I liked it a lot because it had a lot about Christianity in it. So overall it was a good book and I would recommend it to anybody.
Kimberly
A wonderful book for children. My niece and nephews looked forward to reading this every evening. A book that both children and adults can enjoy together!
Angela
Mar 28, 2012 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 8+, Families
Recommended to Angela by: my Dad
The story of how a young boy named Teddy signs up to be a soldier in the Lord's army and learns to get along with others, and who his worst enemy is.
Vanessa Lee
Loved it! My oldest son's, 6, favorite book. He really related with Teddy and his struggles. Beautifully written.
Kristin
reading this to the the two youngest kids & they really like it so far.
Janet
This story has an awesome presentation of the gospel.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-books-ya
Rec. by Ann Voskamp for family read-aloud
Victoria
Oct 16, 2008 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children , familys
Excellent story ! Great family read aloud .
Amy
great book for kids. highly recommend.
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Ishmael
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
  • Stepping Heavenward
  • Just David
  • David Livingstone: Africa's Trailblazer (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • The Modern Age: From Victoria's Empire to the End of the USSR
Probable Sons Jill's Red Bag Me and Nobbles A Puzzling Pair (Rare Collector's Series) Legend Led