Start by marking “The Caldecott Chronicles: Excerpt No.1 (The Caldecott Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Caldecott Chronicles: Excerpt No.1 (The Caldecott Chronicles, #1)

The Caldecott Chronicles: Excerpt No.1 (The Caldecott Chronicles #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A unique, chilling and often hilarious zombie short story adventure set in Victorian England.

______...______....______

Caldecott Estate, the ancestral home of the 32nd Earl of Rothshire, is besieged. The undead are traipsing and crawling across overgrown lawns, intent on ripping the very flesh from the Earl’s body.

But many of them will not make it that far as the 32nd Earl...more
Published 2011 by SilverHouse Books

To ask other readers questions about The Caldecott Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caldecott Chronicles

Joy (joyous reads)
For such a slight book, The Caldecott Chronicles certainly did not mess around. There wasn't a shortage of vivid gore, characteristic of the horrors of the day and age when zombies rule Victorian England. The premise of this short story is quite unique; a lost journal of the Earl of Rothshire depicting the nightmare that they lived through during those days. The tales were gaudy and hellish, complete with garish drawings. But it also told of tale of survival and a kindred kinship between the Ear...more
Erlynn (BooksHugBack)

This short story of battling zombies in Victorian England is addicting to say the least. The Earl of Rothshire records his actions, describing in detail his ongoing battle with the invading undead in the English countryside. R.G. Bullett's humorous tone and exquisite description has you both cringing and laughing at the vividly grotesque scenes he creates. Zombie enthusiasts will be very pleased. :)

At first the story was a bit confusing because there was little as far as set-up and real placemen...more
Susan
R.G. Bullet's The Caldecott Chronicles, Issue #1 is the perfect horror novel for any zombie officianado out there. It's great start to a wonderfully grotesque world of zombies featured in an English estate. The illustrations are a great accompaniment to the horror story being told, which was very well developed and equal parts interesting and hilarious. It's quite the unique take on zombies in general, that I think any fan of horror fiction and zombies would enjoy it. I'm not usually the bigges...more
Holly
May have slight spoilers.

In this first 'excerpt' of the authors Caldecott Chronicles we are introduced to our main character, the earl by reading his journal entries from April 4th 1896 - May 9th 1896 in which he recounts how the undead came to the Caldecott Manor to his son, in Oxford.

I have to admit that this is the first novella that I have read in which the undead are a main part of the plot for more than one novel/novella.

That being said I was very interested to see what the author had crea...more
Tara Lee
I received this copy of The Caldecott Chronicles: Excerpt No. 1 by R.G. Bullet in exchange for an honest review. And I've got to tell you... honestly? I loved it.

It's a short story so it was a quick read but it was wicked fun and funny throughout the entire book. Aldersley Radclyffe (32nd Earl of Rothshire) is in a gruesome situation but still manages to keep his wits and sarcastic humour about him, and it was just fantastic to read through his letters to his son.

He takes us on his journey to...more
Olethros
-Enfrentar zombis al estilo victoriano.-

Género. Relato.

Lo que nos cuenta. En la primavera de 1899, llegaron a los oídos de la población británica ciertos incidentes inquietantes que parecían indicar que sucesos aparentemente imposibles estaban sucediendo en Inglaterra, de forma que el propio gobierno y la monarquía se interesaron por la situación. Esta es la primera vez, gracias a la tataranieta de uno de los protagonistas de los eventos, que se publican los diarios del entonces dueño de la man...more
The Lit Bitch
Yeah I get to be the first one to review this series! How Exciting!! Sweet succulent brains, that is what the undead are looking for in The Caldecott Chronicles. This is a solid first installment to what appears will be a great zombie series. I can't wait to read the next 2 installments. See my full review here
Darkiss
Feb 03, 2012 Darkiss rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adults and adults and the undead
I found this book while scanning the depths of Amazon for something to read on a two hour train journey to London. As I had just finished two novels I wanted something a little different and decided to go for a short story. With my already stated love of a good zombie story I thought one set in Victorian England would make for an interesting change. The fact that it's a comedy also appealed to me. Now add to that the price of £0.77 and you have a winner. I just hoped that it wouldn't disappoint....more
Paige Bradish
Lucinda
Well, what can I say; I really enjoyed this little story. I can’t say that I have read many zombie books and stories, but I can say that this one has encouraged me to read more as it’s an exciting genre and I really liked the sense of urgency that made me turning the pages.

You really feel that you are inside the protagonist’s head, and that there could be a zombie just around the corner from them, so you want everything to work out okay for them.

I liked the relationship/friendship between the E...more
Anagha
Dec 23, 2011 Anagha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror, humor and zombie lovers
Shelves: posted
First, it would be necessary to mention the unique presentation of this book. Caldecott Chronicles is a novella comprised of several journal entries/letters the protagonist (Radclyffe) wrote to his son detailing the zombie infestation at Caldecott and how they got rid of them. The journal entries also have lots of gruesome images about the zombies. It is the first of a series.

With that said, the Caldecott Chronicles is a short, quick and insanely fun read! And with a short book comes a short rev...more
Kayla Eklund
~~Note: The book never uses the word zombie, but it is pretty much a zombie apocalypse so I shall use the word zombie while describing the monsters in the book. ~~

The Caldecott Chronicles: Excerpt No. 1 is a great zombie short story. I liked how the main character, the Earl, didn't do obviously stupid things for the most part during the zombie apocalypse. The only stupid thing he did was keeping Charles alive, which kind of annoyed me. It annoyed me because the Earl was being overly cautious abo...more
Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
I very much like the Freemium approach to authorship. It allows you to read a hearty sample of an author's work and to proceed with the rest if you're willing to pay.

For myself, I won't be sallying forth. Not because this is a bad book, but because I'm just not in the mood at the moment.

The CALDECOTT CHRONICLES is set in Victorian England. The main character is an Earl who finds himself in the middle of a zombie outbreak. And the format is a journal he is writing for his son... just in case.

The...more
Nathalia
I received a copy of The Caldecott Chronicles No.1 directly from the author and I must say that I quite thoroughly enjoyed the read. I was originally expecting to find the entire novel to be illustrated, so I'll admit that I had a few reservations at first. However, I was very pleased to discover that the author only placed three illustrations throughout the novel and focused his attention on the story line. As for the characters, I absolutely loved how nonchalant they were regarding their littl...more
Tara Calaby
The Caldecott Chronicles is a fun novella that combines two of my favourite things: the Victorian era and zombies. They actually fit together surprisingly well, due in part to the fantastic voice of R.G Bullet's protagonist, Radclyffe. As well as being full of wonderfully dry humour, Radclyffe's letters are written in a style that feels surprisingly authentic, given the subject matter of the book.

Radclyffe is portrayed very much as the lord of the manor, although his character grows and becomes...more
Whitebeard Books
This one is not exactly what I was expecting. Yep, it does have some smatterings of Steampunk, and it's reasonably well done. (SPOILER ALERT)It is the walking dead zombie aspect that I was not prepared to experience. Still, I'm not sorry I read it nor do I feel it was time not well spent either.
TONIA DELLINGER
THE CALDECOTT CHRONICLES 1 IS A BOOK ABOUT A BRITISH ARISTOCRAT TRYING TO SURVIVE A ZOMBIE ATTACK IN THE REAL LATE 1800S. THE MAIN CHARACTER "THIRTY TWO" (AS WE HAVE COME TO KNOW HIM) WAS IN THE MILITARY AND HE USES HIS STRATEGIC SKILLS TO OUTSMART THE UNDEAD. HE IS WRITING ALL THAT HE ENCOUNTERS IN THE FORM OF JOURNAL ENTRIES TO HIS SON ALBERT.

THIS SHORT STORY WAS AN EXCELLENT READ. THE CHARACTERS WERE HILARIOUS AND I COULDNT HELP BUT LOVE EM!!! I ESPECIALLY LOVED SAFFY. SHE WAS SO SPUNKY! AND...more
Emma
Mar 09, 2012 Emma rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I was contacted by the author to read this installment. The premise sounded okay to me. To be honest I seem to have missed the “zombies are cool” trend. I just don’t understand the appeal. I was a little worried that I would have a hard time with the novella since I’m not so fond of the undead. Turns out I was right. I can understand why some people would like it. R.G. writes in such a way that you cannot help but chuckle throughout the novella. I chuckled a few times but found myself to be a ta...more
Brittany
I really enjoyed the beginning of this series. The author wrote this installment in such a way that you are instantly addicted and continue wanting more! As soon as I have time to read more out of my "want to read" pile, you can guarantee that the rest of this series will be read! I can't wait to see what happens to the Earl of Rothshire and Saffy :)
Michael
This story does and excellent job of portraying a character who is proactive and who choses to grow into taking responsibility for other
people. I am still unclear as to why he had b*** tr***available but the rest made sense. I especially enjoyed the decision to make it a historical work.
I look forwards to future instalments.
Beau Raines
Its a fun zombie steampunk book written in the form of a journal. the story isn't graphic, so it'd be perfect for pre-teen readers as well.

its short, so the characters are still developing but I just might purchase future installments.
Noelle Walsh
I don't normally read zombie stories but this one was pretty good, I must say. It was funny and the plot was good. I liked it. I wouldn't mind reading more stories in the series if they are all as good as this one.
Robert Williamson
I really enjoyed this story. The characters are interesting and the whole story has a funny little vibe. Nice little zombie story.
Louise Walsh
Great book, loved it, I hope the author writes more books like this.

*Won on GoodReads First Reads*
Talitha
Rather fun read. Look forward to seeing more by the author.
Klmoran09
Looking forward to continuing the series.
Coby
Coby marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Kelly Crowe
Kelly Crowe marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm a Brit. I am from the UK and live in Miami. I write adventures for middle grade and young adult.

The Caldecott Chronicles (YA) is available. http://ow.ly/7dvQB

"The Caldecott Chronicles is gruesome, elegant, witty and a hell of a lot of fun. This is why zombie fiction continues to surprise even the most jaded reader!" -Jonathan Maberry, New York Times bestselling author of DEAD OF NIGHT and DU
More about R.G. Bullet...
The 58th Keeper The Caldecott Chronicles Excerpt 2 57th Keeper The 57th Keeper (Short Story Prequel) (The Keepers) The 57th Keeper